How can I still be so utterly wretched at this game?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2386 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Hi all. At the end of December 2017 I started a topic that I hoped would be the beginning of a rise to mastery of the game. But it hasn't gone like that. Since 28 Dec 2017, I have gained less than 70 overall WN8 and my win rate has improved by around 0.5% to 47.5%. I think I Mastered a single new tank in that time, although I Mastered the Covenanter for a second time as well.

I've found that by dropping from tiers 1 to 3, I can be, if not dominant, then certainly a threat to the enemy team. It is very rare that I need to be carried in the Brit lights. I'm getting Fire for Effect in practically every game. However, this changes whenever I switch to different tiers, or a different class, or a different tech tree. Example: XVM said I was better than 96% of players and doing more damage than 98.7% of players in the AMX 40 and I had around 800 WN8 in it, then I had about six games that were so bad I free XPd to the tier 5 AMX ELC Bis. While this new tank is still stock, I paid gold to give the crew 100% skill and fitted binocs, camo and toolbox, the only ones that wouldn't cost gold or silver which I couldn't afford at this time. Every single game I had in that wretched tank was either zero damage or zero kills, and I was getting out-spotted and out-sniped by heavy tanks who seemed totally unable to miss me even when I was moving. I need thousands of XP to unlock modules and was earning less than 100 in most games.

My performance also drops off in most other tier 5 tanks, and there is literally no point me jumping in a tier 6 or 7.

I think that platooning makes things worse as every single game when I platoon is +2 tiers. Thanks for making it impossible to play the game with my friends, WG. You cannot know how much I despise +2 tier games. When tier 4 or below and playing solo, every game seems to be same-tier. EDIT: or +1 tier, but I seem able to cope with that.

Am I a stat padder or a terrible player if I simply run around in the same tanks, on the same maps, at the same low tiers? I know that if I take a Brit light and play low tiers, I am virtually guaranteed not just a win, but 3 kills and a place in the top 3. How can I be so "good" at low tiers, then fail utterly when I get a new tank or try a higher tier? Does this bode well for me as a player?

Edited by NoPoet406, 01 March 2018 - 03:07 PM.

DracheimFlug #2 Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:15 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 8925 battles

Years of practice and clean living? :popcorn:

Edit: On a more serious note, being better than most in an AMX 40 does not make it anything other than one of the least effective tanks in the game. The ELC is much better but hard to play well. You seem to do a lot better in the Brits (not a surprise) and in the American T67 (also not a surprise). The Hellcat is harder to play than the T67, but once you get used to it, it is good too.

Edited by DracheimFlug, 01 March 2018 - 03:20 PM.

Dava_117 #3 Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17607 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
You can play whatever you want. It's in your rights and no one can't blame you for playing a tank you enjoy at a tier you enjoy. I sometime "sealclub" in AMX40 or Covenanter too. I enjoy both and see no reason to not take a ride in them. :)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26628 battles

The thing about scout tanks is they don't actually care about the +2. if anything it's better to get +2 as there's extra HP around for you to get spot damage on.

As for being outspotted by heavy tanks, if that's the case you're doing something wrong, presumably getting too close. Your viewrange isn't stellar but it's comparable for that tier and with your scout camo you should be seeing heavies way before they ever see you.

Pvt_Duffer #5 Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16404 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

ELC was always a high skill cap tank that for an average/below player (like me)  was really hard to make work reliably until you had Recon/Sit.Awareness/SS/Camo/BiA, esp starting with a 50% crew.

Let alone that they've since nerfed it and the fact you're driving it stock.

Tier 5/6 is where you meet all the players grinding/larking about for credits , and they're running around with 4/5/6 skill crews..

IMV this is one area they could improve the game, stretch out the tiers, maybe go to twelve in total, and then if you have a four/five skill crew you don't get to play below tier 7.

This would serve to level the playing field a bit for new players/new line/crew grinds

Edit: FWIW my excuse is current grind = Ind.Pz. if I recall correctly has a 46% global win rate, and as I'm crap at the game, I fully expect my  overall WR to fall to about 43/4% by the time I'm done with it.

Edited by Pvt_Duffer, 01 March 2018 - 03:35 PM.

Sirebellus #6 Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17476 battles

View PostPvt_Duffer, on 01 March 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

Edit: FWIW my excuse is current grind = Ind.Pz. if I recall correctly has a 46% global win rate, and as I'm crap at the game, I fully expect my  overall WR to fall to about 43/4% by the time I'm done with it.

I wouldn't worry too much, you would have to have a losing streak of 1500 games to get down to a 44% WR

hedgehog_s #7 Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 69429 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS
Play what u enjoy playing - for me its anything from Marder 38T to AMX1390 to charioteer - for you it will be different. If you are truly worried then analyse what you are doing right in the tanks u are good in and try and transfer some of those skills to other tanks - this will end up being your playstyle. For instance if you do well in amx40 by camping and sniping then TDs might be a good bet if you do well by being frontline and pushing the better armoured vehicles might be the job.

Pvt_Duffer #8 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16404 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSirebellus, on 01 March 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

I wouldn't worry too much, you would have to have a losing streak of 1500 games to get down to a 44% WR

Add in the fact that the end of the grind for the Ind.Pz is the Leopard 1, plus I'm grinding the Panther II alongside it with the Panther 8.8 for crew training and credits.

I feel that this is eminently doable.

On the plus side, once done, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be able to pick any tank at all and improve my WinRate.

Could be a good time to grind out the CGC no?

LordMuffin #9 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 47010 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
You can play whatever you want.
Some tanks are just harder to mbe useful in then others.

Heavies in general are the easiest tanks to play, and they could be a good start.

When I was at 6k-8k battles I was still a sub 49% WR player.
But that was also roughly the time when I started to improve. Playing mostly heavies and mediums from Russia at T5-T7.

But at this time, the MM was way kinder to its players then the MM of today imo.

I would probably not manage to get through T5 and T6 if I started playing today. Due to the very harsh MM combined with the terrible tank balance and an ever increasing need for premium ammo.

Isharial #10 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18357 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

if you like a tank, play the tank

don't let anyone else tell you otherwise

ill play my cruiser 2 sometimes, its great fun and I wouldn't sell it, if enjoyment makes me a statpadder, then so be it :P but games are meant for fun, so enjoy the bits you want to. why force yourself to play things you cant or hate playing? that doesn't make any sense!

i don't like T8 much, so why would i stick around there?

on the subject of the ELC, think about it as a tiny fly, zip around when there's loads of enemies and then use the bushes to take out those that stray away from the pack

i wouldn't run a toolbox, you wont last long enough (and it weighs something, so it will affect your p2w ratio, slowing you down) better to not run it on this tank

when you can, get optics, and train up recon and situational awareness on your crew, your survival revolves on being able to spot, so if you cant do that, its making it very hard for yourself

as for your T5's, when you die, look around the map and see "why" and "what" you did that got you in that spot

if you know why it was a bad idea (you died, or got hit loads from things that were unspotted etc..) then you can make better choices in the next game. it also helps to remember your own penetration and the common armour you face, knowing you cant pen that tank, means you wont "waste" shells on something that is futile, and you will be ready for the time when something you can deal with pops up

View PostLordMuffin, on 01 March 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

You can play whatever you want.
Some tanks are just harder to mbe useful in then others.

Heavies in general are the easiest tanks to play, and they could be a good start.

When I was at 6k-8k battles I was still a sub 49% WR player.
But that was also roughly the time when I started to improve. Playing mostly heavies and mediums from Russia at T5-T7.

But at this time, the MM was way kinder to its players then the MM of today imo.

I would probably not manage to get through T5 and T6 if I started playing today. Due to the very harsh MM combined with the terrible tank balance and an ever increasing need for premium ammo.

:facepalm: heavies are not the easiest to play... why do people spread false stuff around? :sceptic: specially when they say its Russian heavies, because kv-1 is such a great tank :facepalm:

T5 is also a very nice tier currently, the MM, doesn't hurt it like it does higher tiers, and most of them can deal with +2 tanks when played well, they don't need as much premium ammo, there aren't any VK100p's there, even O-NI can be pen frontally by a T-34 (albeit with some gold ammo, but then it is a +2 heavy, what do you expect? )

OP, you have to choose 1 or 2 parameters that you really want from a tank, think hard about it. (it makes a difference)

if you like speed, make sure you stick to tanks that have a high power to weight ratio, so that you can actually use the thing you like

if you prefer being stealthy, make sure you pick tanks that can get up to high camo % so that you can make use of it

etc.. etc...

there's no point the above poster saying "heavys are easiest" if you cant stand being slow af, and always late to the fight, as you wont have fun with it or enjoy it!

Frostilicus #11 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

Major

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22420 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've given up on tier 8 - I sometimes dip into tier 6 with Rudy or M6 but mostly I live in Tier 4 or 5 now - PZ4 Hydro, KV-1, BDR, B2, B1 & Matilda, along with T28-F30 are my main rotation.

I find I have more fun in these, and at the end of the day the whole point is to enjoy yourself, so pick out tanks you do well in and play them is my advice ;)

LordMuffin #12 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 47010 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostIsharial, on 01 March 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

ill play my cruiser 2 sometimes, its great fun and I wouldn't sell it, if enjoyment makes me a statpadder, then so be it :P but games are meant for fun, so enjoy the bits you want to. why force yourself to play things you cant or hate playing? that doesn't make any sense!

i don't like T8 much, so why would i stick around there?

on the subject of the ELC, think about it as a tiny fly, zip around when there's loads of enemies and then use the bushes to take out those that stray away from the pack

i wouldn't run a toolbox, you wont last long enough (and it weighs something, so it will affect your p2w ratio, slowing you down) better to not run it on this tank

when you can, get optics, and train up recon and situational awareness on your crew, your survival revolves on being able to spot, so if you cant do that, its making it very hard for yourself

as for your T5's, when you die, look around the map and see "why" and "what" you did that got you in that spot

if you know why it was a bad idea (you died, or got hit loads from things that were unspotted etc..) then you can make better choices in the next game. it also helps to remember your own penetration and the common armour you face, knowing you cant pen that tank, means you wont "waste" shells on something that is futile, and you will be ready for the time when something you can deal with pops up

:facepalm: heavies are not the easiest to play... why do people spread false stuff around? :sceptic: specially when they say its Russian heavies, because kv-1 is such a great tank :facepalm:

T5 is also a very nice tier currently, the MM, doesn't hurt it like it does higher tiers, and most of them can deal with +2 tanks when played well, they don't need as much premium ammo, there aren't any VK100p's there, even O-NI can be pen frontally by a T-34 (albeit with some gold ammo, but then it is a +2 heavy, what do you expect? )

OP, you have to choose 1 or 2 parameters that you really want from a tank, think hard about it. (it makes a difference)

if you like speed, make sure you stick to tanks that have a high power to weight ratio, so that you can actually use the thing you like

if you prefer being stealthy, make sure you pick tanks that can get up to high camo % so that you can make use of it

etc.. etc...

there's no point the above poster saying "heavys are easiest" if you cant stand being slow af, and always late to the fight, as you wont have fun with it or enjoy it!

Easy =/= fun.

Easy means, easier to perform decently in.

It has nothing to do with fun or enjoyment.

Fun is a personal thing, some like slow heavy tanks, others don't.

But that doesn't make a certain class easier or harder to perform well in.

Same as how Defender being boring to play doesn't make it less OP.

You can't tell OP that heavies are boring because they are slow, that is projecting your own opinion of fun within WOT on OP.

My statement stays, heavies are easier to perform decent in then any other class.

Edited by LordMuffin, 01 March 2018 - 05:45 PM.

Isharial #13 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18357 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLordMuffin, on 01 March 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Easy =/= fun.

Easy means, easier to perform decently in.

It has nothing to do with fun or enjoyment.

Fun is a personal thing, some like slow heavy tanks, others don't.

But that doesn't make a certain class easier or harder to perform well in.

Same as how Defender being boring to play doesn't make it less OP.

except if you don't have any fun in said tank, your going to do worse than if you actually liked it

that can and will affect your ability to play said tank, and your morale when the bad games happen

i can tell its this kind of attitude that gives us all these useless players in heavy tanks that still cant play the game at all :facepalm:

when will you people learn?

LordMuffin #14 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 47010 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostIsharial, on 01 March 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

except if you don't have any fun in said tank, your going to do worse than if you actually liked it

that can and will affect your ability to play said tank, and your morale when the bad games happen

i can tell its this kind of attitude that gives us all these useless players in heavy tanks that still cant play the game at all :facepalm:

when will you people learn?

Fun is a personal opinion which is not linked to how easy a tank is to play.

Some players DO LIKE SLOW HEAVY TANKS.

Nowhere do I say they are more fun then other classes btw.

I don't tell him which tanks are fun, because there is no way in hell I can know which tanks he might find fun.

I can only say which tanks are easier or harder to play, and what the different tanks are good at.

Then I can say that I like tank X for whatever reason. But me liking it doesn't mean that OP will like it.

And how do you know that 'all these useless he's by tank players that cant play the game at all' isn't enjoying the game?

Edited by LordMuffin, 01 March 2018 - 05:51 PM.

Orkbert #15 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24672 battles

View PostIsharial, on 01 March 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

Quoted for truth.

Isharial #16 Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18357 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLordMuffin, on 01 March 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Fun is a personal opinion which is not linked to how easy a tank is to play.

Some players DO LIKE SLOW HEAVY TANKS.

Nowhere do I say they are more fun then other classes btw.

I don't tell him which tanks are fun, because there is no way in hell I can know which tanks he might find fun.

I can only say which tanks are easier or harder to play, and what the different tanks are good at.

Then I can say that I like tank X for whatever reason. But me liking it doesn't mean that OP will like it.

And how do you know that 'all these useless he's by tank players that cant play the game at all' isn't enjoying the game?

and you missed the entire point again :facepalm: typical

im not arguing about that people do like slow heavies (people like what they like, as i posted earlier), im pointing out that you did nothing to actually help the OP decide on the class they like, and instead did the traditional "go heavy route" copy paste response on them as every other thread :facepalm:

you could ask the OP what they're most liked part of the game is, might find they like TD, or maybe, they prefer being mobile in lights. but without asking them, all you have done is try to send them down a line which they may not like at all, and that's what i take issue with

PhooBar #17 Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17913 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

D4wiD3K #18 Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

My guess would be that you've been taking advice from the wrong sources. The most important thing about learning something is to learn relevant things.

I have noticed that a common trend in this forum is when a new/bad player asks for help, there's going to be a legion of nice guys with 20k battles and 47-51% win rate "sharing their wisdom" to the new guy. Stuff like "don't rush tiers", "play easy tanks", "platoon" and so forth. Typically these players are very friendly and polite but simply don't have much expertise of the game, and what they are essentially telling you to do, is to do what didn't work out for them. 

With the game having gone through a lot of changes over the past year or two it has also become a common sight to see advice that's just plain outdated. Players who started the game in 2012 who are happy to share what worked out for them when they were new. The problem is that it's 2018 and almost everything has changed. What applied once doesn't apply anymore.

I am gonna guess that you've been repeating the mistakes of other, friendly players and listened to the wrong stuff. If you want to learn the game properly there is no easy way for it. You have to play higher tiers and you need to make mistakes and learn from them. In low tiers there's no proper meta and the level of gameplay is so awful that the players playing those tiers don't have a lot to offer to you. The conventional wisdom tells you to avoid tough spots which is horrible because they offer you the most learning material. You have to forget about playing AMX 40 or AMX ELC BIS because you are never going to become a good player by playing them.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 01 March 2018 - 06:55 PM.

Knight_Zao #19 Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26031 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1
2K games on first account, you are still a very new player, forget about stats and just chill and enjoy

Mule_Skinner #20 Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3001 battles

View PostPhooBar, on 01 March 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

This.

The way you hear it, anything below 1500 WN8 is crap....wretched etc.  In reality, the median WN8 is probably around 800 which means you are better than 50% of players.  If your WN8 is 1500 you are probably in the top 10% of players.  Anyone who tells a 1000 WN8 that he 'sucks' does not have facts on his side and is working from delusional 'facts' of his own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users