Buffing the Japanese Tier IX Type 4 Heavy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

TiMeK1ll3r #1 Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22190 battles

I know that this is a controversial topic, because japanese tanks are known for their strong armour and are hated by everyone, but seriously talking, flaming apart, this tank need a series of buffs because as the game changes, some tanks obliviously need to be fixed, and this is one of them.

I know guys, buffing japanese heavys is something absurd, but what is the first thing you do when you see one? I'm kinda sure you just load your gold shell and forget to aim, but this is the problem, the fact that when you are facing a tank with  250mm frontal armour, you don't have to aim because it's all flat surface, even the turret, which is roughly the opposite with almost every other tier IX tank.

There are weakspots on the tank, the viewport, the cupola, the lower plate (which being a super heavy tank shouldn't be a weakspot when you actually start thinking about it), the frontal side slopes which makes it weak at sidescraping and gives the enemy the first shot advantage.

Where are the pros of having a good armour when it actually isn't that good?

I just say it from personal experience because when you drive a tank and experience its advantages and disadvantages you can understand why people keep blaming it even if you thing that tank is already good.

At first i hated it too, it's hard to penetrate when you need to aim at certain weakspots, but what is the point in having a super heavy tank wich should be the japanese counterpart of the MAUSCHEN, giving it slow speed, slow turning ratio, and slow acceleration, if there are no benefits in the armour?

Now everyone loves and hate the OBJ 268 V4  because of its armour, and before you all hated the OBJ 257 for its side armour, which ws its only positive feature since the frontal armour wasn't that good, but we shouldn't keep our eyes shut just because someone doesn't like to take his time and aim properly.

Resuming this post:

Why should the Type 4 Heavy need a buff?

Because it can't face the enemy frontally because of the flat profile of the armour and the amount of gold shells shot at high tiers;

it can't sidescrape because of the side cheeks that become straight flat to the enemy;

it is really sluggish, with low acceleration, low turning ratio, low speed and poor gun accuracy;

it is the first target of artilleries, which result in having half of the HP in the match before you even start shooting;

it is subject to an above average amount of premium shells rain with almost no bounces from the enemy, since its flat surfaces.

Love it or hate it, but the fact that this tank is supposed to be slow and sluggish doesn't necessarily mean that it have to be so disadvantaged among the other tier IX, but that it should instead have the armour to be able to counter said tiers.

Opinions? Do you think i am hallucinating or am i the only one who see a big flaw in this tier IX tank?

SiliconSidewinder #2 Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27452 battles

well first:

are you sure this is in the right forum?

on your question:

The type 4 is definetly a bad tank in my book, but there are many such tanks in the game and though bad its not unplayable bad.

my suggestion would be to change the ammo choice, give it AP shells (and maybe heat) and it would be a great if special tank.

Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7656 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

It mostly needs a buff to the 14cm cannon.

Same goes for the Typ 5 Heavy.

TiMeK1ll3r #4 Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22190 battles

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 01 March 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

well first:

are you sure this is in the right forum?

on your question:

The type 4 is definetly a bad tank in my book, but there are many such tanks in the game and though bad its not unplayable bad.

my suggestion would be to change the ammo choice, give it AP shells (and maybe heat) and it would be a great if special tank.

I'm new to the forum, couldn't find the right section to post this is so i decided for the less invasive way.

Yeah i agree, it's not unplayable, it's just a bad impression that you get when you play with it, since almost every match is the same, unless those rare cases when you manage do be effective.

Changing ammunitions or cannons would be a good choice too, but armour should be reworked a bit to make it become on the same level as the other tier IX

raulz0r #5 Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9449 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Type 4 on the right maps (i.e. not open maps) is a beast, it can hold a flank or a corridor on it's own and with the right support (notice the word "Support" ) it can crush enemy defensive positions. 

Edited by raulz0r, 02 March 2018 - 08:20 AM.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65957 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Having done the grind to tier X. I've hardly did keep anyone of them. Their armor and mobility is the last thing I would do anything with. And least of their worries. It's not like a Lowe that can't push in the open. He needs his side armor as his job is to hold. Not advance. Thus why it got buffed. Type can push the open. Giving it more side armor is not gonna fix it. It's still a terrible tank on many aspects. But the armor is not the worst part about it.

Only thing they need to buff IMO is the AP guns. They are trash, and thus why everyone is using derp on them. Even the O-I derp on tier 7/8. AP guns are 100% useless. And the worst tier 9 grind I've done is the stock Type 4. It can't even pen it self with gold ammo reliably. So vs other super heavies. You were useless. Gun handles terribly, can't hit the broad side of a barn parked next to it, or inside it. All they need to do is make AP guns more appealing. Job done.

leggasiini #7 Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 13366 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

It needs to get reworked. A direct buff will never work out well.

The AP gun needs to be buffed, armor layout changed so it has bit more reliable weakspot but is much more angleable, and the derp gun needs to be removed or at very least prem HE to be removed and then RoF buffed a bit.

TiMeK1ll3r #8 Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 22190 battles

Yeah the AP guns aren't the greatest, and they become even less effective then they should be because even of the height differenfe between the other tanks because you can't hit other tanks lower plates since they become even more angled than they would be in almost every other tank, lowering your chances to penetrate them, and the fact that even if you "should" have an advantage on the higher plates, because they "should" be more vulnerable since the angle is lower, but since your penetration isn't high enough to go through them.

The fact that they created HE shells to counter the shitty AP is the only positive thing, even if the damage isn't that good given the actual dimension of the cannon.

Let's be realistic, that HE gun is a naval gun, it should be even more deadly that the FV4005 since its purpose wasn't to be mounted on a tank, but that's just "speculation".

By the way the penetration should clearly be higher than it is since its low ROF,  and the dispersion that makes you miss so often isn't of any help.

People think that since the gun doesn't need to penetrate it is OP, but it only is against heavy tanks and slow tanks, because hitting medium and light tanks is one of the hardest possible thing to do with this derp gun, given its slow shell velocity.

And yeah, the armour should be reworked to make it become a tank that is able to sidescrape, at least

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users