Stalingrad and Kharkov

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36715 battles

I see Stalingrad is being removed from rotation and possibly Kharkov?  

just wondered why, these are some of their better maps.

don't mind losing sacred valley, swamp but maps like Ensk, Mines, Abbey, Mountain pass, Westfield, Live Oaks and serene coast I personally think  are far worse than Stalingrad and Kharkov which are great if you are willing to use the mini map and react to the game rather than just go to a prescribed square and duke it out

anyone know the thinking or have an opinion?

XxKuzkina_MatxX #2 Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47919 battles
  • [RU18] RU18
I think they removed a couple of maps from rotation to redesign them and to appease the players but to remove all those maps you mentioned (which have problems too) is not possible. What should they've done is redesigning the maps during making them HD but i guess they like to extent the work (patches) for the longest period possible as a way of drawing more attention to the game and more money from customers.

PhooBar #3 Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18476 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

RANDOMLY GENERATED MAPS, FTW!

Make every match a battle on unknown territory.

Bring back teamwork.

Spurtung #4 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:27 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61594 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostPhooBar, on 02 March 2018 - 12:11 AM, said:

RANDOMLY GENERATED MAPS, FTW!

Make every match a battle on unknown territory.

Bring back teamwork.

That would drag the games a long time, for sure. I know where you coming from, but people already camp as it is, so a complete unknown map would make that worse.

K_A #5 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:31 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13581 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Better maps? BETTER MAPS? What in the hell are you smoking and can I have some too, because that's some grade A flim-flam right there, mate! :hiding:

Balc0ra #6 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 01 March 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

just wondered why, these are some of their better maps.

Then you are one of few. Because they are the most hated maps on all servers more or less along with Pilsen. Kharkov is getting reworked, not removed. As the "HD" version of it is not done yet as far as I got it. They are removing half the northern part of the city and increasing the map with and length by 200m. Making the light/medium field bigger. If that works out. It will come back.

As for Stalingrad. May it never return. It would have been a better map if all the streets were not barricaded all over. So you actually have a corridor map vs open lanes to flank.

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 March 2018 - 12:50 AM.

Junglist_ #7 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36006 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 01 March 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

. As the "HD" version of it is not done yet as far as I got it. They are removing half the northern part of the city and increasing the map with and length by 200m.

Doesn't look like they are.

Spoiler

https://worldoftanks...-10-maps-part2/

Or have there been any updates since?

_Anarchistic_ #8 Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36715 battles

View PostK_A, on 02 March 2018 - 12:31 AM, said:

Better maps? BETTER MAPS? What in the hell are you smoking and can I have some too, because that's some grade A flim-flam right there, mate! :hiding:

View PostBalc0ra, on 02 March 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

Then you are one of few. Because they are the most hated maps on all servers more or less along with Pilsen. Kharkov is getting reworked, not removed. As the "HD" version of it is not done yet as far as I got it. They are removing half the northern part of the city and increasing the map with and length by 200m. Making the light/medium field bigger. If that works out. It will come back.

As for Stalingrad. May it never return. It would have been a better map if all the streets were not barricaded all over. So you actually have a corridor map vs open lanes to flank.

​I am not surprised they are not liked, I did not used to like them, but as I get better and move around more and react better to the mini map/game situation etc I have found them more rewarding.  they are not easy maps but I find them far more enjoyable than basic brainless maps like mountain pass, serene coast or perhaps live oaks with its south spawn 9 line guaranteed win.  Similarly erlenberg, I used to hate it as a camp fest but now I learned how to play it I love it and had some monster games, especially scouting.  they require thinking and experience and a willingness to play the game.

Favourite maps

Malinovka, Prok, Stalingrad, Kharkov, Steppes, erlenburg himmelsdorf, Karelia all, murovanka, redshire, sand river all, 

good maps, loads of ability to play the game and move around with few areas off limits and every tank class can have a game, snd river std on the edge average as I feel the 1 line spawn players tend to go f1 and k1 line and camp whereas the 9 line spawn players will go north and flank into 1 line base and cap too often

hated maps

abbey, mountain pass, mines encounter, swamp, ensk, ensk v2 or Pilsen, seigfried line std, ruinberg all, highway, serene coast, westfield,

maps where only 1 area really any use or simply only good for 1 class of tank and don't encourage real player movement just a pick a square face off.  ensk Pilsen may be better as you can play field and create a fast advantage

ok maps I don't like but can live with

windstorm, airfield, cliff, artctic region, seigfried line encounter and assault, el halluf, fishermans bay, fjords, Lakeville, 

similar to hated maps but a bit more flexibility for the brave and all tank classes can be used somewhere

anyway, that's my reasoning

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 02 March 2018 - 08:26 AM.

8126Jakobsson #9 Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 62945 battles

Oh be still my beating morning heart. May it be so.

edit: ..loading into Kharkov now :/

Edited by 8126Jakobsson, 02 March 2018 - 09:06 AM.

Indy_Bones #10 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29425 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

I really hope they are both getting removed, and with a bit of luck they'll take Paris and Pilsen with them in the process.

Utter dung in map form, and the sooner they are all gone the better, and maybe we can even bring back maps like Port and South Coast in replacement, which even with their issues, were still 10x better than the shambolic maps that WG have released more recently.

djuro900 #11 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16791 battles

View PostIndy_Bones, on 02 March 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

I really hope they are both getting removed, and with a bit of luck they'll take Paris and Pilsen with them in the process.

Utter dung in map form, and the sooner they are all gone the better, and maybe we can even bring back maps like Port and South Coast in replacement, which even with their issues, were still 10x better than the shambolic maps that WG have released more recently.

This

Aikl #12 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I don't particularly like the idea behind making maps suitable for all vehicle classes. It just makes the maps worse. City maps can be perfectly fine for mobile tanks, even if they're not terribly exciting. The problems come when WG tries to make 'heavy brawling tunnel-corridor' a separate entity from the rest of the map. That's something both Stalingrad and Kharkov suffers from, along with Pilsen and Paris. There's only so much you can do to contribute; winning any flank but the heavy one is of little use - because superior map control doesn't offer much in the way of crossfire.

Compare that to Himmelsdorf. City map, but winning one flank out of three doesn't decide the battle. Win the hill and the banana-road is screwed. Win the open area, and you can flank the banana. Simple stuff. It forces the team that commits tanks to the banana to actually attack - because the option is getting caught with their pants down.

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 01 March 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

I think they removed a couple of maps from rotation to redesign them and to appease the players but to remove all those maps you mentioned (which have problems too) is not possible. What should they've done is redesigning the maps during making them HD but i guess they like to extent the work (patches) for the longest period possible as a way of drawing more attention to the game and more money from customers.

Myeah, though 1.0 is supposed to be mainly an 'engine patch', not a gameplay patch. If I recall correctly, they are switching to software that makes working on maps easier, so one might hope that they'll actually work on the maps in the near future as well. New graphics and stuff will confuse people plenty enough.

Remains to be seen what they'll actually do. I would much prefer ten-fifteen good maps than thirty half-arsed ones. I used to play Counter-Strike (Source, but still) back in the day, and spent countless hours playing three-four maps. Of course, camping isn't a go-to tactic like it is in WoT (unless you're last man standing and you're e.g. defending the objective, whatever).

undutchable80 #13 Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6964 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKTBCiBFSBg

Some new map designs (early stages though) as well as removing / remodeling of some existing maps.

(PS Not my intention to promote QB, you are free to think of him what you like, its just that this was about his content and not about the person.)

Jigzy84 #14 Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26954 battles
  • [H2VOC] H2VOC

The map removals just make me sad  I liked most of the removed maps they all offered different play styles over what we've got right now.  The map rotation feels awful after playing thousands of games I wish they'd balance issues and bring them back for the right tiers it would make the game so much better imo.

For me all these maps should comeback!

Hidden Village

Komarin

Northwest

Pearl River

Severogorsk

Province

South Coast

shortfuse1418 #15 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24426 battles
  • [BYOB] BYOB
I personally hate both those maps so good riddens. The more open maps, particularly Redshire are my favourite but then I do not enjoy playing heavies.

undutchable80 #16 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6964 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJigzy84, on 02 March 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

The map removals just make me sad  I liked most of the removed maps they all offered different play styles over what we've got right now.  The map rotation feels awful after playing thousands of games I wish they'd balance issues and bring them back for the right tiers it would make the game so much better imo.

Hidden Village

Komarin

Northwest

Pearl River

Severogorsk

Province

South Coast

Province is coming back (see my post #13)

Dava_117 #17 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18578 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

I'm sad for the removal of Stalingrad too. I love that map. Makes arty almost useless, it's full of covers, and there are lot's of small streets. One of my favourite one!

Hope it will come back in a reworked form!

Balc0ra #18 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostJunglist_, on 02 March 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

Doesn't look like they are.

Spoiler

https://worldoftanks...-10-maps-part2/

Or have there been any updates since?

Well as I said. If that works out. Guess it did not then. It's a tricky map as it don't really work to well for most classes atm. But it's still an "aggressive" map due to all the buildings. Remove half of them, even leaving the middle HT lane open. And it will slow down.

But as they said. They are now reworking the current version of the map. So they have not given up on it yet it seems. So it's not confirmed removed as such still then.

View PostJigzy84, on 02 March 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Hidden Village

Komarin

Northwest

Pearl River

Severogorsk

Province

South Coast

Most of those maps were on my most hated list that Highway took over once they went. Not bad maps as such. Just played badly and the same by 90% of the players. Komarin had the E100's camping the forest, then after the rework it was a 10 vs 10 in the middle. And the winners fired on the forest campers. It never did work tbh at any tier. Northwest had tanks only along the red line. As the the middle was hardly ever used. The 2 lane road was suicide due to the A line TD's etc. South Coast had the north spawn never leave base 9 out 10 games, even HT's. Hidden village was the map everyone complained to WG about that 50% of the map was unused. But still they only used 10% of the map they had. As the HT valley was a 15 vs 15 more so then not.

They would need heavy rework to HD to make a return, that still takes time. And WG have said they will consider getting some of the old maps back for HD later in a reworked form. Province is currently being tested again. Not heard about it for a while. But it's not a small map anymore. It's a bit more open and wider vs before.

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 March 2018 - 02:05 PM.

Thejagdpanther #19 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34113 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS
Like any disease, those maps must be eradicated.

Mentlgen #20 Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31490 battles
  • [ORZY] ORZY
They remove Stalingrad but remodel Kharkov. :facepalm: If anything, it should be the other way around. And why do people complain about stalingrad? Everyone wants maps with possibilities to flank and these mini coridors in stalingrad provide that option. And if WG would make it possible to drive across the rubble in some streets that would make the map even better. (Btw, i'm not saying that it's the best map ever, but there are clearly worse maps, like Kharkov, Paris, Highway.) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users