Ranked - not that bad

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Etre_ #1 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52653 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

I got my level 15 in ranked, did a few extras and went back to randoms today and so I noticed some differences

First game, first chance to remember "where the f..k is my team, where are they looking, why they are not in positions, why is no one assisting ?".

I thought it will be harder or less enjoyable to play always against decent players, but I missed the fact that I'm playing with decent players also.

You can flank and expect people to follow when they see the opening. If the enemy is forcing your position, there will be some cover fire and so on ... 

I really wasn't stressed about the need to carry or damage ... just be in the good spot at the right time and try to do your best. 

If ranked was a permanent mod with some elo rating system, I could play that all day. 

Strizi #2 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36891 battles
If they would take out the grind part of ranked it would be somewhat ok (besides the need of balance among t10 tanks but that will never happen RASHHHAAAAA!!) Why not make it like marks of excellence and only count the best 100 games for your chevron rate. So playing more will only take you higher in the leagues if you get better.

The_Georgian_One #3 Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36574 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
I have a very similar experience as OP. It's actually difficult to return to randoms when ranked gets shut at 11pm. Suddenly you get teams full of headless chickens, even on tier 10.

I actually enjoy the mode way more than previous iterations. It seems that the new chevron distribution promotes active playing vs camping that was so dominant previously.

There's still flaws and I'd be glad to see some vehicles removed from the mode, but it's actually good otherwise.

Lohend #4 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44075 battles
Well i don't agree with OP, Randoms might be headless chickens but its still easy mode imho compared to Ranked. Your mistakes rarely get punished, most enemy's are still bird watching and being confused by moving trees in random. In ranked you are forced into playing certain meta tanks and strat's.

"Ranked isn't a pit. Ranked is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.":trollface:

brumbarr #5 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

I dont get you, ranked battles gameplay is much worse than randoms. I have a theory that the more good players in your team the worse the gameplay.
Why? Simple, good players all have the same thoughts and are stubborn, in randoms you can always count on someone covering each flank. In ranked the whole team goes to 1 spot that is designed for a couple of tanks and loses mapcontrol, everyone is too stubborn to change and the game is lost in 2 mins. There are way more steamrolls due to this. Horrible gameplay.

I wouldnt touch ranked with a 10foot stick if there where no bonds to be gained. I can max play 2 hours of it before i get tilted and frustrated. There is no worse gameplay anywhere.

Edited by brumbarr, 02 March 2018 - 10:23 AM.

The_Georgian_One #6 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36574 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View Postbrumbarr, on 02 March 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

I dont get you, ranked battles gameplay is much worse than randoms. I have a theory that the more good players in your team the worse the gameplay.
Why? Simple, good players all have the same thoughts and are stubborn, in randoms you can always count on someone covering each flank. In ranked the whole team goes to 1 spot that is designed for a couple of tanks and loses mapcontrol, everyone is too stubborn to change and the game is lost in 2 mins. There are way more steamrolls due to this. Horrible gameplay.

I wouldnt touch ranked with a 10foot stick if there where no bonds to be gained. I can max play 2 hours of it before i get tilted and frustrated. There is no worse gameplay anywhere.

It's true that lemming trains are more common in ranked, but they actually work as a coordinated push. People also have more awareness to see when you need to go back and def base, so base capture wins are a no-no, even with all lemming-training to one flank.

Also, people actually have brain to explore opportunities. Isolated tanks get rekt in seconds (hence the steamrolls maybe). If one team lemmings and the other don't - the lemming train actually pushes. Even camping, when it happens, is more tactical. And than you come back to the usual idiocy of random battles...

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 02 March 2018 - 10:27 AM.

Simeon85 #7 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

This.

Lemming trains and steam rolls seem super common in ranked to me. The whole team often goes to one side or even one spot and completely ignores the other flanks. Also no one wants to even go spot or support that other flank because they don't want to take any risks, the whole chevron thing makes everyone very risk adverse as well. 

Several games last night I knew almost immediately we were going to lose because of our team positioning, we were just going to get surrounded, but no one on the team wants to do anything about it and it is pointless to go try to do it yourself because you will get no support.

For me it's like every game is south spawn on Murovanka, consistently on that map and that side the team all ignore the forest, and we very quickly get surrounded, except with ranked it is almost every other game that happens.

IIRC I have got to rank 9 with a 47% win rate. You seem to either win or lose and have no real ability to influence that, you just have to work your chevron earning in with whatever the team has decided to do (deploy badly = heavy loss, enemy team deploys badly = easy win)

brumbarr #8 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 02 March 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

It's true that lemming trains are more common in ranked, but they actually work as a coordinated push. People also have more awareness to see when you need to go back and def base, so base capture wins are a no-no, even with all lemming-training to one flank.

Also, people actually have brain to explore opportunities. Isolated tanks get rekt in seconds (hence the steamrolls maybe). If one team lemmings and the other don't - the lemming train actually pushes. Even camping, when it happens, is more tactical. And than you come back to the usual idiocy of random battles...

Problem is that those lemmingtrains go to positions from where you cant push. And its the same every time on each map.

Example: fishermans bay: south teams always goes all middle, by the time they turn around to defend the other flanks its too late and the enemies already control both sides and its over.

Mines south spawn is the same every single time, meds dont take the hill but all push the island. Then heavys get stuck in the middle. Noone can push and the team always loses.

The problem is its that players go to spots that are really good when 1 or 2 are there and the rest of the team is spread out. But when everyone goes there the battle is over before it begins.

Igor_BL #9 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39579 battles
  • [GX] GX

Paris "all field" gameplay is my top RB strategie.

I just love how people invented that stupid gameplay...

I would never play this mod if

1) there wasnt credit boosters award - i dont care about bonds

2) it is splited in 3-4 stages like previous RB. I like this 1-15 rank.

After got 15th, i dont play it, I enjoy in randoms. Would never thought i will say this.

LordMuffin #10 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48123 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Do you think this stubbornness by good players is something they have learned from random battles, and take with them in ranked, despite that tactic being, as you say, sub optimal, in ranked.

And that a cure to this stubbornness (a change in playstyle) could be achieved by a permanent introduction of ranked battles?

Ie,  good players are accustomed to play with baddies and have developed a tactic for that scenario, when they are suddenly surrounded by other good players, they don't know how to proceed.

Edited by LordMuffin, 02 March 2018 - 10:43 AM.

Simeon85 #11 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostIgor_BL, on 02 March 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

2) it is splited in 3-4 stages like previous RB. I like this 1-15 rank.

Probably the best change, I can basically do it in my own time, been doing a rank a day and making steady progress, so no need to rush before the end of the week like previously. 

I aim to do the same, get to 15, stop playing. Also should be noted that randoms on tier 8 and 9 is much better whilst ranked is on because there are far less tier 10s in the queue. 

brumbarr #12 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 02 March 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Do you think this stubbornness by good players is something they have learned from random battles, and take with them in ranked, despite that tactic being, as you say, sub optimal, in ranked.

And that a cure to this stubbornness (a change in playstyle) could be achieved by a permanent introduction of ranked battles?

Ie,  good players are accustomed to play with baddies and have developed a tactic for that scenario, when they are suddenly surrounded by other good players, they don't know how to proceed.

Yes, i think so, i am not innocent of it either.

Another condition is no communication or a common goal, CW is also only good players but that is fine because you have 1 goal and communicate. 

TankkiPoju #13 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20331 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 02 March 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

There's still flaws and I'd be glad to see some vehicles removed from the mode, but it's actually good otherwise.

This is my major gripe about ranked: The current tank type matching just doesn't really work for example if one team has IS-4s and other has Super Conqs.

WG should match certain tanks always on both sides.

And yeah, arty should not be allowed in ranked at all. Ranked is supposed to be a skill based mode, and clicking isn't that.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 02 March 2018 - 10:53 AM.

_EXODUZ_ #14 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34979 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

It has it's own good and bad aspects, like everything else. Although, it's funny to see same people being salty about pretty much everything. :teethhappy:

For example, it's good to see decent meds going F6-7 to snipe on hull down tanks, that's smart play and it would never happen in randoms.

Etre_ #15 Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52653 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

That's because all got the memo that brawls award bonus XP. WG needs to change back the XP formula, or at least make assist more prevalent instead of brawling. 

Edited by Etre_, 02 March 2018 - 06:19 PM.

Igor_BL #16 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39579 battles
  • [GX] GX
No, the same was even in beta season. It is just mentality.

lord_chipmonk #17 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33952 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
I've been playing a little ranked lately, not a huge amount, but a bit and been having fun. 

Igor_BL #18 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39579 battles
  • [GX] GX

I started tonight again, willing to take 16. rank. just in case, to be enough for I league.

i am thinking a lot of people will stop after reaching 15th, so 15-16 might be a big jump.

play 100LT, and i am waiting 3-4 minute in queue...

Edited by Igor_BL, 02 March 2018 - 07:37 PM.

blu3s0ul #19 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16299 battles

how can anyone enjoy broken gameplay? when you queue in ranked there are 189 havy tanks an 15 light tank. why is that? so if you only have a tier 10 light tank you a fracked!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users