Arty grind rant thread

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

dimethylcadmium #1 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4566 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

Arty. Can't live with it, can't live without it. Just like many players, i hate arty. Despise it, but i play it. Need to complete arty missions so i can get PM rewards. These missions are also hard to do unless in a pimped out Tier 7 arty (at least for a crap arty player like myself, i can't do SPG-15 on StuG IV for Honors)

I'm grinding the AMX 13 F3 (84% crew + rammer). It's been going great so far (as you're about to witness). I plan to stop at Lorr 155 50 because the tier 8 and 9 offer minimal upgrades and i don't want a tier 10 arty.

As you can see, it's a waste of time. I don't care about it pulling down my WR/WN8, it's the low XP gains from tard teams (i was supposed to carry them in my HT/LT/MT right.) 

This SPG is already trash enough and getting 100-150 XPG is so humiliating. 

The ironic part is that i AFK'd the Overlord battle on purpose and still won, while i really tried my best in the other 135135 battles and made trash XPG.

Why shouldn't i just AFK through the whole grind?  It's obvious the more i try the more i get shat on by MM.

What will i gain from trying my best every game, apart from anger? I could easily sip my coffee and read books while the idiots lose the battle anyway because there is no one carrying them. ( i know its sounds narcissist but thats how it is for the majority of time, especially at Tiers 4-6, less in 7-8)

Edited by dimethylcadmium, 02 March 2018 - 04:24 AM.

Balc0ra #2 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postdimethylcadmium, on 02 March 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

Arty. Can't live with it, can't live without it. Just like many players, i hate arty. Despise it, but i play it. Need to complete arty missions so i can get PM rewards.

You do know that if you use orders to skip SPG-15, you don't have to do the 14 missions before it, and you still get the female crew reward for it.

dimethylcadmium #3 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4566 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View PostBalc0ra, on 02 March 2018 - 04:24 AM, said:

You do know that if you use orders to skip SPG-15, you don't have to do the 14 missions before it, and you still get the female crew reward for it.

I know. I've done SPG-15 on Stug and HTC using orders, but now i need to do those two missions with Honors so i can get the orders back for the upcoming missions.

I will admit it though, i was foolish enough to complete SPG-1 to SPG-14 for Stug by playing

Edited by dimethylcadmium, 02 March 2018 - 04:35 AM.

Spurtung #4 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60085 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

So, this is the thread where you manage to whine about it while embracing it and excuse yourself with something that you don't have to do so you don't sound like the hypocrite you are. Gotcha.

Funny bit, you seem to be doing great in a class meant for one hand play where only clicking is needed.

The taste of hypocrisy seasoned with irony, most exquisite.

Edited by Spurtung, 02 March 2018 - 07:29 AM.

FAME_skill4ltu #5 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29555 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
nobody says that everyone should be able to get 260 and t55a. maybe u are just not good enough

jack_timber #6 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31180 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 02 March 2018 - 03:24 AM, said:

Nooooooo don't tell him that he's enjoying arty far to much:)

gunslingerXXX #7 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9964 battles

Arty. Can't live with it, can't live without it. Just like many players, i hate arty. Despise it, but i play it. Need to complete arty missions so i can get PM rewards. These missions are also hard to do unless in a pimped out Tier 7 arty (at least for a crap arty player like myself, i can't do SPG-15 on StuG IV for Honors)

I'm grinding the AMX 13 F3 (84% crew + rammer). It's been going great so far (as you're about to witness). I plan to stop at Lorr 155 50 because the tier 8 and 9 offer minimal upgrades and i don't want a tier 10 arty.

As you can see, it's a waste of time. I don't care about it pulling down my WR/WN8, it's the low XP gains from tard teams (i was supposed to carry them in my HT/LT/MT right.)

The ironic part is that i AFK'd the Overlord battle on purpose and still won, while i really tried my best in the other 135135 battles and made trash XPG.

Why shouldn't i just AFK through the whole grind?  It's obvious the more i try the more i get shat on by MM.

What will i gain from trying my best every game, apart from anger? I could easily sip my coffee and read books while the idiots lose the battle anyway because there is no one carrying them. ( i know its sounds narcissist but thats how it is for the majority of time, especially at Tiers 4-6, less in 7-8)

yeah it sucks, I had the same, also with Frech arty & stock crew because easy access.

I managed SPG-15 for stug in one of my first lorr 155 50 battles, you just need some luck....

Wanted to try for HTC-15 as well, but got so frustrated I gave up. Partly because T55a missions are too difficult for me anyway.

Sucks you have to waste time, which should be fun game time, on this arty crap.

Good luck!

Edited by gunslingerXXX, 02 March 2018 - 08:20 AM.

PowJay #8 Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33793 battles

I managed to finish the SPG missions for the T-55a just before the Stun mechanic came out. I was glad at the time, because I never expected to get to the Object missions and would therefore never feel the need to play arty again.

Well, using orders for LT-15 (which I will get back) and HT-15 (which I probably won't) I got the T-55a at the end of last year.

I SERIOUSLYdoubt that I will ever get the Object, but I do at least have the missions open to me so that I can earn some rewards. I have already got three MT missions (2 with Honours) and seven SPG missions (4 with Honours).

Some SPG mission requirements are actually quite easy if you have the right SPG. "Stun 10 times". This is an absolute doddle if you have something with a good RoF such as Bert, or use the Crusader SP with the stock gun. You can stun two, three or more vehicles with one shot, though- which is easier with some Premium HE, I'm sure (I DO NOT USE THIS).

"Stun enemy vehicles for 200 seconds in total". "Stun a heavy tank or tank destroyer 8 times" (any HT or TD, not just one). "Stun an enemy heavy tank or tank destroyer for 120 seconds in total" (again, not just one single vehicle). "Stun 6 vehicles". ALL of these are quite easy if you have the time to shoot. There is no requirement to do anything else, other than land a shell somewhere near an enemy tank.

So, doing the PMs (without Honours at least) is mostly pretty easy, but enjoyment from playing arty- almost ZERO. In fact, imagine an infinite number of decimal place zeroes with a 1 on it! Somewhere close to how much actual enjoyment percentage I get in some battles. The last battle that I have only just gone AFK from saw me spotted in about 15 seconds, shot in 20 seconds, and my team 0<5 in about two minutes. NO ENJOYMENT WHATSOEVER.

I do not like the concept of suiciding, deserting, or just going AFK, but since I got back into arty, I have done all three rather than play. I am NOT proud of myself, but I only did it when I couldn't stand another moment with a stupid team on a stupid map with a stupid, broken, boring class of vehicle. The sooner I finish the PMs, the sooner I can put arty back into XVM "reserve" and forget I have even got it.

SPGs were OP when their performance allowed them to damage and destroy for an entire battle. Confederate or Top Gun was not a rare occurrence before 8.6. Then they were simply so boring and frustrating to play (that was close, that was close, that was close- if you were even lucky to get "That was close" and not miss by a mile). Then I had to play them for PMs (my choice for rewards and crew member)  and then I didn't.

Now that the stun mechanic has been introduced, it is worse than ever. The only saving grace is that even the Object PMs are largely achievable. I even like the one were you need to be top on XP on your team (which I already have been once) because you don't even have to win.

Then we get the maps where arty is next to useless- Pilsen, Paris, Kharkov, Stalingrad- unless the SPG is in the one position that everyone knows about and can be found and destroyed easily. And don't even get me started on the teams that can't hit anything. 9 stuns and zero assist damage in one battle, and this is not rare. It is all well and good arty hitting that indestructible, top-tier HT that no-one else can damage, but arty does 100 HP, stuns it, tracks it and allies STILL can't damage it. Great idea, WG.

I can't wait until my missions are over. No more SPGs (until the next campaign)

Edit- update. AFK again. Two shots fired, base overrun in less than three minutes. 1<6 and I am so about to die that I may as well go and put the kettle on. And this on Serene Coast where I already have two PMs complete and was actually looking forward to the battle.

Edited by PowJay, 02 March 2018 - 09:30 AM.

dimethylcadmium #9 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4566 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View PostFAME_skill4ltu, on 02 March 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

nobody says that everyone should be able to get 260 and t55a. maybe u are just not good enough

Just don't have the right tools for the job yet. I've alerady done 90% of T28 HTC missions using my two tier 8 premiums and some tier 7 tanks. For t55a and 260 i will need tier 9 and 10 tanks. For SPG-15's i will need a battle-ready tier 7 arty, will have to get a G.W.Panther most likely 

Edited by dimethylcadmium, 02 March 2018 - 01:08 PM.

dimethylcadmium #10 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4566 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View PostSpurtung, on 02 March 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

So, this is the thread where you manage to whine about it while embracing it and excuse yourself with something that you don't have to do so you don't sound like the hypocrite you are. Gotcha.

Funny bit, you seem to be doing great in a class meant for one hand play where only clicking is needed.

The taste of hypocrisy seasoned with irony, most exquisite.

Says the guy with a better winrate in arty than in his Light tanks. Not sure if I should laugh or be offended :D gtho with that banter mate

Edited by dimethylcadmium, 02 March 2018 - 01:13 PM.

TungstenHitman #11 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

StuglV SPG15 War Gods with honors. Tier6 Americano Style

Oh and this was like second game with the tier7 French click machine. T28 Concept SPG 15 with honors 

I did the SPG 15 requirements for both in tier6 tanks too btw but just at the wrong time of asking so it totally can be done without the need to jump up to high tiers. Most the time it's luck in regards to the situation unfolding nicely, other times you have to go above and beyond the normal playstyle of the his back row clicker and I often played it just behind my heavies up front where I could hit targets more like a really bad TD or KV2, dont be afraid to take it for a drive its a vehicle too.

dimethylcadmium #12 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4566 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 March 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

StuglV SPG15 War Gods with honors. Tier6 Americano Style

Oh and this was like second game with the tier7 French click machine. T28 Concept SPG 15 with honors 

I did the SPG 15 requirements for both in tier6 tanks too btw but just at the wrong time of asking so it totally can be done without the need to jump up to high tiers. Most the time it's luck in regards to the situation unfolding nicely, other times you have to go above and beyond the normal playstyle of the his back row clicker and I often played it just behind my heavies up front where I could hit targets more like a really bad TD or KV2, dont be afraid to take it for a drive its a vehicle too.

M44 is a great SPG, possibly the best at tier 6.

HeidenSieker #13 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

(with snips)

That SPG is a damn' nuisance to play against :) Perhaps Sir would care to view some of the replays on wotreplays.eu:

http://wotreplays.eu...loaded_at.desc/

It can provide good results.

As for being AFK through the whole grind, there's the rest of the team co consider.

Bordhaw #14 Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9573 battles

View Postdimethylcadmium, on 02 March 2018 - 03:11 AM, said:

You'd obviously find it far easier with an American or German SPG, 100% crew and GLD and Rammer with Camo. 

L0ddy #15 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 83947 battles
  • [TWD] TWD
Considering how easy arty is to play, you didn't do very well op. More practice required to even achieve monkey level ;)

vixu #16 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 41119 battles
arty missions are easy. stick with US line.  M44 will give you half of the missions. M53/55 will give you the other half.

Quintuss #17 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25535 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

Don't bother grinding a new Arty line - grab the tier 7 russian S51, play it with all the credit-based boosts: rations, premium HE, and removed speed thingy. Change gun based on need - small one for stun durations, large for kills/group splash.

It is of course slow as hell and won't be much fun, but you will be able to get all the missions for the first 3 done ( i cannot speak for O260 ones) without any further arty-grinding.

vixu #18 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

Major

• Player
  • 41119 battles

View PostQuintuss, on 02 March 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Don't bother grinding a new Arty line - grab the tier 7 russian S51, play it with all the credit-based boosts: rations, premium HE, and removed speed thingy. Change gun based on need - small one for stun durations, large for kills/group splash.

It is of course slow as hell and won't be much fun, but you will be able to get all the missions for the first 3 done ( i cannot speak for O260 ones) without any further arty-grinding.

Russian arty line if not that great. s51 is a pain due to its very narrow arc.

Quintuss #19 Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25535 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

so what?

You havew tons of time to aim during reload, russian-RNGsus for whenever time is short and the OP looks like someone who know where the fights happen so aniticipating where he'll most likely shoot next is hardly a big deal.  Being tier 7 also means that you get both ends of the MM in your fafour:  Be toptier - dish out 1-shots for all the counter-arty or "kill LT"-missions. Be lowtier - time for stunning a lot or simply getting tons of XP by using your effectively tier X gun on anyone in range.

IncandescentGerbil #20 Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35597 battles
My new tactic for doing arty missions is to tape a piece of chicken to the mouse and let the cat play with it. She's already one marked the M40/43

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users