#counter battery #4tankersandadog video

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

The_Georgian_One #1 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36586 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

Thanks to Tankers for actually testing this. It seems that arty will have to actually move their [edited]or get easily countered when 1.0 hits the servers. Epic.

Element6 #2 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29305 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Seems to me it will actually lower the skill requirement for counter battery, and increase it for avoiding it. Or rather, it will increase the need for thinking ahead to avoid counter battery and increase the need to relocate. Still, looking forward to the new version.

Jigzy84 #3 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27247 battles
  • [SJB] SJB
No skill required now to counter battery which pre 1.0 required "skill" that said decent arty players already move between shots so no difference for them on 1.0

Roudari #4 Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34124 battles
This is a good thing! Counter is back on the menu and easier than ever. I approve this, nice job wg!

The_Georgian_One #5 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36586 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View PostCrazyTracks, on 02 March 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

This is a good thing! Counter is back on the menu and easier than ever. I approve this, nice job wg!

Yep, I like it as well. You can now go arty hunting more effectively. You can even plan to take out arty first to help your team. Arty will focus other arties instead of light tanks. Good stuff.

raulz0r #6 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9449 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 02 March 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

Yep, I like it as well. You can now go arty hunting more effectively. You can even plan to take out arty first to help your team. Arty will focus other arties instead of light tanks. Good stuff.

That's what I try to do the first minute or so when I play arty so this will make my job a lot easier.

Element6 #7 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29305 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 02 March 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Indeed, though we should probably allow for some time before most players become aware of this. Expecting the effect on patch day is not wise.

kymrel #8 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30394 battles
I wonder how far away you'll see the tracers from the ground view. If, for example, you are on an open map, will you see the tracer coming in from the horizon, allowing you to tell your friendlies with decent certainty that arty is in A1 or similar? 

undutchable80 #9 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7260 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I wonder if arty zooms in far enough, if it can spot tracers from unspotted tanks - TDs basekemping for instance. Cuz that would really add to the "arty prevents camping" argument WG is so fond of stating, since arty could just roam the enemy redline all game in stead of targeting frontline tanks..

raulz0r #10 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9449 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postundutchable80, on 02 March 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

I wonder if arty zooms in far enough, if it can spot tracers from unspotted tanks - TDs basekemping for instance. Cuz that would really add to the "arty prevents camping" argument WG is so fond of stating, since arty could just roam the enemy redline all game in stead of targeting frontline tanks..

Now this warrants some testing to be done. 

Long_Range_Sniper #11 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

General

• Player
  • 32603 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Interesting, the key point is at this part of the video.

I think it's still debatable as to what value counter battery brings to your team, but on some maps with single arty games this might make it worthwhile for your arty to take out the only one on the other team if it's one of those maps where arty always goes to the "usual" places.

Simeon85 #12 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Thing is counter battery would help your team and most artillery players are not interested in that anyway, they'd much rather shoot their own teammates to leach some extra damage or chase that light tank round the map cos he has some shiney purple numbers whilst the team struggles with that Maus or whatever.

Good to see that it is going to be more viable, IMO WG should have just put the arty red dot illegal mod into the game as an actual counter battery mechanic. 

lord_chipmonk #13 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33952 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
The counter battery mechanic is one thing I think WoT could pinch from AW. 

Balc0ra #14 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66275 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Considering you can still easily spot it from the common spots they pick even now. It won't make much of a difference for most when countering, or getting countered. And most move after fire as is as a precaution. As you still can hear the tracer now if your camera is in the right location. It's just easier to notice it if your eyes is not on that exact area of the screen to see the origin point in the next update. But if this will make more people counter vs before. As I hardy see arty counter fire as is. That remains to be seen.

Tho it would be better if they had a big circle on the map to show the area enemy arty is firing from. Not a small exact circle. But a big circle so you still have to search for it.

Tho.. I suspect the tracer is still not visible for other tanks. Or can you still see the enemy arty firing in your light even when he is not spotted? Because WOT console has strong tracers like that as well. And they are visible to anyone, even when you are not spotted. So lights can even blind fire on you.

Edited by Balc0ra, 02 March 2018 - 01:43 PM.

lord_chipmonk #15 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33952 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostBalc0ra, on 02 March 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Considering you can still easily spot it from the common spots they pick even now. It won't make much of a difference for most when countering, or getting countered. And most move after fire as is as a precaution. As you still can hear the tracer now if your camera is in the right location. It's just easier to notice it if your eyes is not on that exact area of the screen to see the origin point in the next update. But if this will make more people counter vs before. As I hardy see arty counter fire as is. That remains to be seen.

Tho it would be better if they had a big circle on the map to show the area enemy arty is firing from. Not a small exact circle. But a big circle so you still have to search for it.

Tho.. I suspect the tracer is still not visible for other tanks. Or can you still see the enemy arty firing in your light even when he is not spotted? Because WOT console has strong tracers like that as well. And they are visible to anyone, even when you are not spotted. So lights can even blind fire on you.

I personally don't agree. At the moment counter battery is fairly rare. Even with a direct hit sometimes you don't kill the arty, and with splash and stun being your friends, it is currently more worthwhile to target groups of enemy tanks. Making it easier to counter battery, if implemented properly, I hope will change that. 

DracheimFlug #16 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 02 March 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

I personally don't agree. At the moment counter battery is fairly rare. Even with a direct hit sometimes you don't kill the arty, and with splash and stun being your friends, it is currently more worthwhile to target groups of enemy tanks. Making it easier to counter battery, if implemented properly, I hope will change that. 

Arty still has to be looking in the correct spot and while hoping for counterbattery, it is likely ignoring much more obvious targets. If it stays that bright it will be easier, but that does not mean most arty will think to do it.

Simeon85 #17 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Counter battery is super rare and generally a waste of time. There are handful of maps like Mines where it is viable because there are literally two/three very small areas where arty is likely to be so searching for the barely visible tracers is easier.

On other maps it's is close to impossible and you will just waste time staring at the screen doing nothing and not helping your team, whilst the enemy arty is doing damage. I did the 'kill two unspotted arty' mission for the 260, took me about 30 games and my win rate in those games dropped because I was basically useless to my team as I spent most of the game barely shooting staring at patches of forest for minutes on end.

I'd also reckon that 90% of artillery do not move after the fire, most artillery players barely move when they got spotted or shot at they tunnel vision so much. 

lord_chipmonk #18 Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33952 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostDracheimFlug, on 02 March 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

Arty still has to be looking in the correct spot and while hoping for counterbattery, it is likely ignoring much more obvious targets. If it stays that bright it will be easier, but that does not mean most arty will think to do it.

This is why I mentioned AW's system, which I would quite like in WoT. 

mpf1959 #19 Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15706 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I play mostly arty, and the Counter Battery medal is nice to have, but to locate and find the enemy arty via the tracers and then destroy it, is a time consuming activity, and while I am doing that, I cannot support the team in any way. Because if you are waiting to be shelled by the enemy arty it becomes about survival and not  doing what is best for winning.

So, if it becomes an arty on arty fight all through the game, it makes arty totally irrelevant except to itself, so why not be honest WG, and just remove it?

Edited by mpf1959, 02 March 2018 - 02:07 PM.

HeidenSieker #20 Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

Considering you can still easily spot it from the common spots they pick even now. It won't make much of a difference for most when countering, or getting countered. And most move after fire as is as a precaution.

(snip)

That'll make it interesting for short-range SPGs ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users