What's the problem with choosing maps?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Should we be able to choose maps in some form? (18 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should we be able to choose maps in some form?

1. Yes, it would make the overall WOT experience so much better. (6 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No, because we would miss the class that chooses not to play a certain map. (12 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Hide poll

Stohne #1 Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28757 battles

So yeah.

Right now there are a number fairly painful maps each class has to go through.

Lights, TD's and arty in city maps.

Heavies on open maps.

Mediums is the only class that's semi-tolerable on most maps.

Take Prokhorovka or Malinovka.  Would it be terrible if those 2-3 heavies didn't have to suffer through being shot to oblivion by arty? Would the game play change at all?

Or would Himmelsdorf or Paris (sweet lord Paris is a pain for arty) be terrible without arty or TD's? Heavies like having TD's and lights and arty around on city maps so they can feed.

Same thing with arty on heavies on open maps.

But the question is - and this is the vulgar argument - so what if lights only chose to play open maps? View range and camo has no purpose in a city map anyway. WG tried to implement som fun for lights in i.e. Paris, but I find the bushes on Paris be subpar compared to Prokh or Malinovka or Redshire. Drive to bush, sit, sit, sit, sit, wait, wait, wait and play the occasional whackamole. There is no moving around, just kemp bush in it's true sense. The mobility of lights is completely negated.

Personally I suffer through, multiple city maps, unless I am playing a heavy that is, to get to get to the good stuff in lights: Malinovka, Prokh, Steppes, Redshire (love Redshire). But it is so rare they come around. At least that's what it feels like. Which tells me this forced play by WG makes me tire and it's not really fun, just a tedious and sometimes painful grind to get to the next "good" map.

And games should be about fun? Or is that controversial?

And so what if heavies only chose to play city maps? Let them go at it, and the occasional armored TD and brave light can join in.

We can already choose maps in a certain way; at least the game type. And we can choose not to play the Grand Battle large maps. Imagine if we were forced to play Assault? I don't like assault, so I don't play it. Yet, there are people who enjoy it, and the game type therefore exists.

I like Encounter, but I would like to be able to deselect i.e. Mines. It's so unbalanced it's not fun. Blow-outs are no fun either you are on the receiving or giving end. At least in my opinion.

We don't need new maps, although it's fun when they pop up. I am not a big fan of Nebelburg(?), but Klondyke looks hella fun from the few times I've played it. And that new Arctic Region map looks delicious.

Off -topic: The Grand Battle maps should be for 15 vs 15, not 30 vs 30. The maps are far too small as they are today. The element of late game when the maps open up should be present from start. It adds a huge strategic and tactical element. Imagine being able to flank for real. When I used to do tank battles in Battlefield 1942 we were 2 on 2  on maps the size of  Wot. If not larger. It felt far more like a tank battle than Wot does. I imagine a real life tank battle had a large deal of trying to surprise your opponent. It was extremely tense, in a way WOT only gets in the very late end game when you are 2 on 2  - or 1 on 4  - etc. You know the adrenaline rush you get at the end when you can't make a single mistake or you lose. Do you get that in the beginning? Maybe you would if there were less players on each side.

In tank battles in BF1942 you got the adrenaline pumping from start to end.

So: Would the game really die or become one-sided mayhem if we let players choose maps? Or would it rid of an element of WOT which causes irritation? 

Thanks for reading - if you got this far.

// Stohne

Jigabachi #2 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Your text layout is painful to follow (the poll is bad, too), but from the lines I read I got it that you basically answered your own question: Diversity would pretty much die. 27 Heavies on city maps and 12 Lights on Prokho.

Conclusion: No, thanks.

/thread

Karasu_Hidesuke #3 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
I wish we could have campaign rotations... but I guess then we would need to have historical battles, as well.

vasilinhorulezz #4 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles
No

Balc0ra #5 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67404 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

You more or less did asnwer your own question at the beginning. Lights would only choose open maps. HT would take corridor maps. So then you would never see HT's or most classes on most maps. They pick the maps where they can get their personal missions done. Simple as that. And I suspect nothing good would come out of it in the long run.

Imagine doing LT-15 on Malinovka when there are 10 lights on each map, and everyone is trying to do LT-15. Just saying.

Edited by Balc0ra, 03 March 2018 - 05:18 PM.

vasilinhorulezz #6 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22813 battles

Imagine Ensk or Himmelsdorf with 15 vs 15 Mauses, Type 5s and 268V4, shooting at each other,

only the "every one shoots gold" threads that would fill the forum, would be hilarious,

not even mention how toxic the gameplay would be.

The Horror.................THE HORROR....................:ohmy:

Stohne #7 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28757 battles

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 03 March 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

Imagine Ensk or Himmelsdorf with 15 vs 15 Mauses, Type 5s and 268V4, shooting at each other,

only the "every one shoots gold" threads that would fill the forum, would be hilarious,

not even mention how toxic the gameplay would be.

The Horror.................THE HORROR....................:ohmy:

Try ranked battles and that is what you got. Oddly enough people seem to play it despite that. And lights seem to play it despite it being a large majority of heavies. And arty, and td's and mediums. Despite there being a huge majority of heavies for very simple reasons.

You are assuming something that you think sounds horrible.  What's horrible about it? People seem to consciously choose that in ranked battles.

Also, how would the gameplay be toxic?

http://forum.worldof...ranked-battles/

Edited by Stohne, 03 March 2018 - 05:31 PM.

SlyMeerkat #8 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16745 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Im indifferent about it

Balc0ra #9 Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67404 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostStohne, on 03 March 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

You are assuming something that you think sounds horrible.  What's horrible about it? People seem to consciously choose that in ranked battles.

Not assuming. He is fairly sure. As the odd pure tier 7 games with 100% HT's full of Tigers, IS's and aT29's that did happen now and then before the current MM setup is enough to tell us that it won't work to well regardless in the long run. Because I'm fairly sure people would pick maps based on their class over anything.

Then again it won't happen. As WG always says. "If we did that, it will no longer be random".

As for your ranked link topic... A: It was 6 AM. It's not that constant. And B: No one got a game with 15 HT's on each team did they?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users