Prevalence of derp guns

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2341 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Anyone else being driven to the edge of tears - not madness, not frustration, but great salty tears of rage and hopelessness - at the stupid number of "one-hit wonders" in the game? Had eight battles so far tonight, been one-shotted in at least 3 of them. Mostly the M4, but if not that, then usually the Japanese superheavy line. Sorry to flog a dead horse here but isn't it time they (the derp guns AND the ridiculous Japanese doom machines) received some kind of nerf? I watched one O-I rack up 5 kills as the last player on his team before he was finally taken out. (I was dead, just so you know I wasn't taking KEMP BUSH to new heights of cowardice.)

You choose all your stuff for the battle, feel the adrenaline surges during the countdown, then within one minute it's BOOM.

A couple of other things I'm having difficulty with:

1. Automatic lock-on. On the console this is moronically easy, speeding up gameplay and minimising frustration. Just press a bumper button and boom, it locks in on the nearest tank and you can cycle through targets. On the PC? Desperately stab the right mouse button while aiming for an exact pixel, frequently managing to disengage the lock at the same instant you finally lock on.

2. Armour angling mechanics. Are they even remotely realistic? They are without doubt the most frustrating thing about this game. The other night it was just my At15A left versus a tier 8 (I think) premium Swedish TD. It was a 1600 damage game, which is good for me. Every single shot I fired at the enemy bounced. Including gold, which my team urged me to spam. Every single shot he fired at me went right through my armour. He ended up killing me, to the dismay of my team and my own dumbfounded amazement. I was hitting him dead-on and also angled from the side. After the battle I checked the tank's stats. I believe it had 30 armour all round. Thirty millimetres of armour defeated a 76mm gun with 239 penetration.

Consett_Steel #2 Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17187 battles
You got a replay of that AT15 game that you can share?

mrspoonsi #3 Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9350 battles

>After the battle I checked the tank's stats. I believe it had 30 armour all round. Thirty millimetres of armour defeated a 76mm gun with 239 penetration.

It is not just you, seeing this:

http://forum.worldof...-to-name-a-few/

NoPoet406 #4 Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2341 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

I've just been one shotted again by an M4 in my T67. I don't really know how far away I was from him but I was driving away from him at high speed. It was several map squares away. How are these derp guns so accurate?

Replay link: http://wotreplays.eu...opoet406-at_15a

It was a 2360 damage game. Guess someone decided I'd done enough damage that game. No personal insult was intended to the enemy player. My reaction at the end of the battle perfectly captures the mood of this thread. EDIT: 2056 damage.

Edited by NoPoet406, 05 March 2018 - 10:55 PM.

Steve8066 #5 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9616 battles

View PostNoPoet406, on 05 March 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

I've just been one shotted again by an M4 in my T67. I don't really know how far away I was from him but I was driving away from him at high speed. It was several map squares away. How are these derp guns so accurate?

It was a 2360 damage game. Guess someone decided I'd done enough damage that game. No personal insult was intended to the enemy player. My reaction at the end of the battle perfectly captures the mood of this thread. EDIT: 2056 damage.

they arent that accurate, but if you drive the tank enough times, you learn how far to lead the shot.

Solstad1069 #6 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38861 battles

View PostNoPoet406, on 05 March 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

Seen the AT replay and u had a good game overall, find it strange that the guys that came up at the hill before u couldnt kill him. Those swedish TDs are very bad at fighting alone because they have to be in siege mode to hit anything.

What u could have done is:

- Hit the small cupolas on top

- Backed off and let arty hit him more, swedish TDs dies very easy to arty, and this would force him out of siege mode. 

Archaean #7 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14948 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT
the salty tears are real hahaha

HaZardeur #8 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33257 battles
I own a M4 derp just for T67 tonks...

MarcoStrapone #9 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32552 battles
  • [-GODS] -GODS

View PostHaZardeur, on 05 March 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

I own a M4 derp just for T67 tonks...

DERP THEM! DEEEEEERP! :arta:

Balc0ra #10 Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNoPoet406, on 05 March 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

Thirty millimetres of armour defeated a 76mm gun with 239 penetration.

Because your gun don't overmatch that armor at 70 degrees or greater with that caliber. Then you need a 90mm gun or bigger. Then you need to aim for the small cupola instead as that's an auto pen for your gun. As when you angle any armor, it will be thicker. That armor is not 30mm anymore if he faces you in siege mode.

View PostNoPoet406, on 05 March 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

1. Automatic lock-on. On the console this is moronically easy, speeding up gameplay and minimising frustration. Just press a bumper button and boom, it locks in on the nearest tank and you can cycle through targets. On the PC? Desperately stab the right mouse button while aiming for an exact pixel, frequently managing to disengage the lock at the same instant you finally lock on.

Try and play WOT PC with a controller and you might see why. As they don't have a mouse, thus their UI, mechanics and other aspects is "dumbed" down vs PC.

Edited by Balc0ra, 06 March 2018 - 12:05 AM.

DracheimFlug #11 Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:08 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 8925 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 06 March 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Try and play WOT PC with a controller and you might see why. As they don't have a mouse, thus their UI, mechanics and other aspects is "dumbed" down vs PC.

That does not explain why earlier today for several battles, right click did nothing even when my gun was clearly aimed at the enemy tank and it was highlighted accordingly.... 

dimethylcadmium #12 Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:39 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4566 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
You can't pen S1 with AT-15A because you can't overmatch his autobounce frontal armor. You should have kept him permanently tracked while trying to flank him or just spammed HE at him. Such is life, if it were an UDES it would have been easier

NoPoet406 #13 Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:46 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2341 battles
  • [USAW] USAW
I realise from the replay that I should have held back and let the arty kill him. But the shock of not being able to damage the enemy tank paralysed me. Look how I tore through everything else - much tougher than him - the whole battle. I expected him to disintegrate under the AT15A's superior ROF.

I'm also playing the T67 wrong. When I hang back, slinking around like the world's sexiest jackal, I do 900-1900 damage. Most games I run straight up to the enemy, shoot him in the face and then die, cursing WG all the way back to the garage. There have been imbalances in tank types all day today - for example, no lights and 5-7 TDs per team. So pushing forwards is necessary to some extent, as I probably have less than 50 years left to live and I can't spend a third of that time waiting for the heavies to get into spotting range.

I seem to be two people: the calculating, intelligent jackal who sneaks around does epic damage, and the prat who dies in two minutes. And the derp guns keep booming.

WindSplitter1 #14 Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14295 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

I'll derp away.

The tank I hate the most is the Pigeon.

DerpAtWork #15 Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1380 battles

So, your ubertonk got a boo-boo?

It's so nice when you stomp poor F2P noobs, while they get "zero criticals" only...

I'd rather DERP for 1-200 DMG than getting ZERO DMG hit after hit. :P

Homer_J #16 Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27070 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNoPoet406, on 05 March 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

After the battle I checked the tank's stats. I believe it had 30 armour all round. Thirty millimetres of armour defeated a 76mm gun with 239 penetration.

Here, this will help explain your problem.  And it doesn't get any easier to penetrate with premium ammo.

It's no good just looking at the raw stats, that Swedish TD has troll spaced armour along both sides and an extreme slope to it's frontal armour.

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Derp guns aren't a problem for 99% of tanks you will face. By nature they are close quarters guns but not always, a Hetzer and Panzer4 will hit distant targets no problem at all but they have to be static targets and any distant target that's moving and gets hit is 1. ultra cool shot and ultra LOL and 2. just plain luck with a side or of educated guess and a target that doesn't change coarse or speed. The reason for this of course is really slow shell velocity and so while derps are hilariously fun when they work for you and the shots land, the are very unreliable, don't do well in many situations and tend to have a lottery alpha, I mean, I can 1 shot a Hellcat or I can barely do 30 damage, and then there's the slow reload if you don't take that target out so all in all, this is why you don't see everyone with a derp, you just can't trust them and they're an unknown quantity.

They only problematic derp platform that should be irradiated from this game is the Type4 and 5. That's not to say thier lower tier brothers are much better and when they are top tier, it's much the same problem and the reason they are a big problem derp is that they can't really be hurt. For every other derp tank you can knock them out easily enough with regular tanks, KV2? shoot the turret or flat hull, Panzer4? paper tank, Hetzer? thing can't see, is brutally slow and totally reliant on team for spotting. Every derp option platform in the game is imo acceptable because they're armor forces a very considered playstyle and are all tanks that can be hurt and a one trick pony in many ways but the Type4 and 5? not only do they have insanely damaging and ultra noob artillery guns but you can't hurt them frontally for most tanks and with the small maps and support from teammates these Japanese thunder bunkers have, you can't get their sides either... they're total game breakers, other derps, no problem at all, like I said, you can kill all the other ones and as such, they play a different style other than just W, right click left click.

Balc0ra #18 Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNoPoet406, on 06 March 2018 - 12:46 AM, said:

I realise from the replay that I should have held back and let the arty kill him. But the shock of not being able to damage the enemy tank paralysed me. Look how I tore through everything else - much tougher than him - the whole battle. I expected him to disintegrate under the AT15A's superior ROF.

Exactly, you have superior ROF. Load HE and spam that 18mm cupola instead. As I do in my AT-15A vs it... Tho at med to long range it's not an easy target to hit ofc. But if you can see it, it's better to go for that then bouncing of his 70 degree armor with AP.

View PostDracheimFlug, on 06 March 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

That does not explain why earlier today for several battles, right click did nothing even when my gun was clearly aimed at the enemy tank and it was highlighted accordingly.... 

Show a replay then. There is always an explanation. As every time our #1 forum whiner comes to complain about his 288 pen gun bouncing on everything and has a replay. He hits to thick armor at 70 degrees. Or if you take -25% into account. Pen is not even close to enough etc. 

ApocalypseSquad #19 Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26142 battles

View PostDracheimFlug, on 06 March 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

I've noticed the same thing recently.  Right clicking seems really intermittent, its failure to trigger has got me into trouble a few times recently when trying to circle strafe.

vasilinhorulezz #20 Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21175 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 06 March 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Because your gun don't overmatch that armor at 70 degrees or greater with that caliber. Then you need a 91mm gun or bigger. Then you need to aim for the small cupola instead as that's an auto pen for your gun. As when you angle any armor, it will be thicker. That armor is not 30mm anymore if he faces you in siege mode.

FTFY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users