Ranked battles

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

LordMuffin #1 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48529 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I have read quite a few ranked battles thread, a common theme is a feeling of entitlement to reach rank 15 among the thread starters.

Which is just wrong.

No one is entitled to reach rank 15. To reach that you have to be good enough to get all the way, if you aren't good enough to get rank 15, accept and start improving if you want a higher rank.

To get rank 15 is supposed to be hard, and only a few are supposed to be good enough.

As a player you have no right to get rank 15, just like you have no right to get 3 marks on your tank. There is no injustice at work that keeps you from getting to rank 15 either.

Geno1isme #2 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

General

• Player
  • 44028 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostLordMuffin, on 08 March 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

To get rank 15 is supposed to be hard, and only a few are supposed to be good enough.

Nice joke. Ranked is primarily about persistance, skill makes you just progress faster, but it's not a requirement. Too bad WG no longer shows how many battles people spend in each season, so it's less obvious, but if you actually look for it it's still pretty easy to verify.

Edited by Geno1isme, 08 March 2018 - 01:40 PM.

fighting_falcon93 #3 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32012 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 08 March 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

No one is entitled to reach rank 15.

It's not about reaching rank 15, it's about getting something for your time invested.

This is exactly what players like you completely miss. You think that average players will just fill the bottom slots so players like you can have an easy grind to league 1. Well that's not going to happen. And the day when we average players get bored from not getting anything from ranked battles, that's the day when players like you will have to spend 5-6 hours of gaming per day to compete with other unicums for league 1.

The problem right now is that if you don't reach the top 50%, you don't get anything. Absolutely nothing. No, not even the credits for reaching the ranks, because those rewards get compensated by the costs to actually grind the ranks. And if you end up in league 3, you get such a crap reward that it was not even worth the time. League 2 is a little bit better, but considering that it will take even more time, it's not really worth it either.

Take a step back and think about the problem from a neutral perspective before creating nonchalant threads like this. How would you feel if you invested multiple hours per day and didn't get anything from it? I guess you didn't think that far, because players like you already have your ----- stocked with so much free gold that why would you care.

fwhaatpiraat #4 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49350 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostGeno1isme, on 08 March 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

Nice joke. Ranked is primarily about persistance, skill makes you just progress faster, but it's not a requirement. Too bad WG no longer shows how many battles people spend in each season, so it's less obvious, but if you actually look for it it's still pretty easy to verify.

How many 45%-ers are rank 15?

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 08 March 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

It's not about reaching rank 15, it's about getting something for your time invested.

This is exactly what players like you completely miss. You think that average players will just fill the bottom slots so players like you can have an easy grind to league 1. Well that's not going to happen. And the day when we average players get bored from not getting anything from ranked battles, that's the day when players like you will have to spend 5-6 hours of gaming per day to compete with other unicums for league 1.

The problem right now is that if you don't reach the top 50%, you don't get anything. Absolutely nothing. No, not even the credits for reaching the ranks, because those rewards get compensated by the costs to actually grind the ranks. And if you end up in league 3, you get such a crap reward that it was not even worth the time. League 2 is a little bit better, but considering that it will take even more time, it's not really worth it either.

Take a step back and think about the problem from a neutral perspective before creating nonchalant threads like this. How would you feel if you invested multiple hours per day and didn't get anything from it? I guess you didn't think that far, because players like you already have your ----- stocked with so much free gold that why would you care.

Just don't play that game mode if there is nothing to win.

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 08 March 2018 - 01:52 PM.

fighting_falcon93 #5 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32012 battles

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 08 March 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

Just don't play that game mode if there is nothing to win.

No worries, I won't spend 21 * 7 hours per day next season to reach league 2. But I wonder, right now there's 1000+ pages of players in the rankings. That allows players in the top to only need 15 points to go into league 1. So the question is, are you ready to invest 5-6 hours of grinding per day once only the really good players are left in ranked battles? 

fwhaatpiraat #6 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49350 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 08 March 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

No worries, I won't spend 21 * 7 hours per day next season to reach league 2. But I wonder, right now there's 1000+ pages of players in the rankings. That allows players in the top to only need 15 points to go into league 1. So the question is, are you ready to invest 5-6 hours of grinding per day once only the really good players are left in ranked battles? 

I've played 0 ranked battles so far and I like to keep it that way.

LordMuffin #7 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48529 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 08 March 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

You are not having any right to get rank 15 if you are average.

As an average player you might get to rank 9 or 10, and get the reward you receive for those ranks.

Personally I think how the end of season rewards are calculated and distributed are terribly bad.

You should get a reward for any rank above say 5.

Better reward for higher rank.

And at rank 15, you get a number based on an algorithm, kind of like HS legend ranks, Dota 2 top ranks, lol top ranks etc. That number tells you how good you perform. Number 1 means best performer on the server, no 2 2nd best etc.

You invest your time in WoT to have fun, if you don't have fun, you should not play.

And if you have fun, the reward corresponding with your skill should be a bonus.

VsUK #8 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14288 battles

Ranked are nothing more than a platform for wallet warriors to show off & a very good way for WG to make money. Because everyone gold spams in ranked battles. I've played 1 & it was very clear from the start that this is nothing more than a prop to make money, whilst offering nothing more than bragging rights. 

SuperOlsson #9 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21343 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM
More chevrons are given each battle than is taken away, so given enough battles everyone will be rank 15 on average!

fighting_falcon93 #10 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32012 battles

View PostLordMuffin, on 08 March 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

You are not having any right to get rank 15 if you are average.

As I said, it has nothing to do with rank 15, but with the rewards.

View PostLordMuffin, on 08 March 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Personally I think how the end of season rewards are calculated and distributed are terribly bad.

On that one we agree :)

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #11 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 15186 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

My guess going up the ranks starts with a matter of persistence, which while going up the ranks, is steadily being replaced by skill.

But that's a wild guess from me, as I've only played 5 battles of ranks, that were too much fixed losses for me too enjoy. 

Then again, I'm not pretending to be skilled at tonks:girl:

uglycousin #12 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 46297 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostVsUK, on 08 March 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

Ranked are nothing more than a platform for wallet warriors to show off & a very good way for WG to make money. Because everyone gold spams in ranked battles. I've played 1 & it was very clear from the start that this is nothing more than a prop to make money, whilst offering nothing more than bragging rights. 

People don't play ranked battles to show off. They do it for the rewards.

Everybody spams gold in ranked in order to keep up and stay competitive. Since I've reached rank 15 I barely use premium rounds anymore, and a lot of my ingame buddies are doing the same. Because now we play a lot more relaxed.

It is not offering bragging rights, it is offering a shitload of bonds if you finish in league 1. And some gold, and some premium time, and some premium reserves, and some credits, and some garage slots ...

You only played 1 battle and you made your opinion? Lol. Try a few more :)

Edit: I don't want you to think I am picking on you, it's just that everything you wrote is wrong. :honoring:

Ranked battles are a grind. You grind to get to rank 15. That is all. Skilled players get there faster and gain more chevrons. And gain more rewards. I have met people with overall winrates as low as 47% at rank 15. As long as you work for it, you can get there.

What I dislike this season is the competition inside your own team to finish top 10 or you don't gain a chevron. It promotes selfish plays ... other than that, this season is a lot better than beta seasons 1 and 2.

View PostZe_HOFF_fverhoef, on 08 March 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

My guess going up the ranks starts with a matter of persistence, which while going up the ranks, is steadily being replaced by skill.

But that's a wild guess from me, as I've only played 5 battles of ranks, that were too much fixed losses for me too enjoy. 

Then again, I'm not pretending to be skilled at tonks:girl:

Nah mate, that's exactly how it is. :) Well said. :)

I am grinding my AMX heavy baguette in ranked now. Finishing my ToTT missions while gaining a few chevrons as rank 15 is a lot more relaxed than previous ranks. :)

Edited by uglycousin, 08 March 2018 - 02:40 PM.

Lohend #13 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44694 battles

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 08 March 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Time invested should not have nothing to do with Ranked. Just because someone bots hes way in ranked for 3 weeks doesn't mean he should be rewarded for it. For average players who don't make it into top 50% and "get nothing"... you get nothing also for not trying. And yes ultimately the Ranked should be for skilled players. 
"equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity"

L4NDe #14 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 46627 battles
  • [SPALE] SPALE

I play ranked only because of those great rewards. I dont enjoy this game mode at all because of the lack of variety. Same tanks, same tactics. Everybody just rushes in to choke points and thats it. If you are spottin other side of the map or even try to flank you dont get rewarded for that. It seems the only way is to play heavy close to alot enemys and start trading shots. Bad thing is most of these chokepoints are not in balance so 90% of the time better spawn wins.

This season is much better than those two betas. But I think that wg should implement variety of different roles in to this. Brawlers, spotters, supporters and all around roles. Brawlers would get most of their xp from close combat. Spotters from spotting and supporters from helping out brawlers and spotters. This would bring alot needed variety.

fighting_falcon93 #15 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32012 battles

View PostLohend, on 08 March 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

Time invested should not have nothing to do with Ranked. Just because someone bots hes way in ranked for 3 weeks doesn't mean he should be rewarded for it. For average players who don't make it into top 50% and "get nothing"... you get nothing also for not trying. And yes ultimately the Ranked should be for skilled players. 

"equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity"

I want to point out 2 things here.

First of all. Do you honestly think that you skilled players own everything in this game? Let me break it down for you. Clan Wars are for skilled players. Ranked Battles are for skilled players. Tournaments are for skilled players. Marks of Excellence are for skilled players. March of Nations are for skilled players. Really? What should players below/at/above average get? Are they just meant to run around in random battles like NPC's so that you can come there aswell and farm them?

Secondly. When these average players stop playing RB, who will fill the bottom slots then? You? I hope you realise that the reason it only takes 15 points to go into league 1 is because of all average players that have joined. Do you think they will continue to play when they realised they wasted millions of credits on nothing? Do you think that it will take 15 points to reach league 1 when they don't join in the upcoming seasons?

This is why I think that players with an attitude like yours are disgusting. You are in league 1 thanks to these average players, yet you talk down on them. But hey, I'm all for it, let's see what happens when only skilled players play RB and you have to fight your way into league 1 against only +60% WR players. Good luck!

Geno1isme #16 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

General

• Player
  • 44028 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 08 March 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

How many 45%-ers are rank 15?

Rank 15 requires too much scrolling down and you have to check player profiles individually so I'm not gonna start counting, but I've found more than one 50%er in league 1 with less than a dozen checks. Just needs spamming >200 battles a week in this nonsense mode and a little bit of luck with your winstreak timings.

And given enough time even 45%ers could probably make it to rank 15. As even if it would be primarily about skill: Rank requirements are relative, not absolute, so you'd just need enough players below your own skill to progress.

Edited by Geno1isme, 08 March 2018 - 02:52 PM.

uglycousin #17 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 46297 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

I do enjoy something a lot from ranked battles: almost every battle has some forumite or a buddy in it. :)

uglycousin #18 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 46297 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 08 March 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

let's see what happens when only skilled players play RB and you have to fight your way into league 1 against only +60% WR players. Good luck!

Beta season 2. Remember?

View PostGeno1isme, on 08 March 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

Rank 15 requires too much scrolling down and you have to check player profiles individually so I'm not gonna start counting, but I've found more than one 50%er in league 1 with less than a dozen checks. Just needs spamming >200 battles a week in this nonsense mode a little bit of luck with your winstreak timings.

And given enough time even 45%ers could probably make it to rank 15. As even if it would be primarily about skill: Rank requirements are relative, not absolute, so you'd just need enough players below your own skill to progress.

I met at least 4 players at rank 15 with overall winrates below 49% that I remember right now, one was even at 46% ... Did not mother to check their recents, I just congratulated them because it must have been a tough grind for them. :)

fighting_falcon93 #19 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32012 battles

View PostL4NDe, on 08 March 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

I play ranked only because of those great rewards. I dont enjoy this game mode at all because of the lack of variety. Same tanks, same tactics. Everybody just rushes in to choke points and thats it. If you are spottin other side of the map or even try to flank you dont get rewarded for that. It seems the only way is to play heavy close to alot enemys and start trading shots. Bad thing is most of these chokepoints are not in balance so 90% of the time better spawn wins.

This season is much better than those two betas. But I think that wg should implement variety of different roles in to this. Brawlers, spotters, supporters and all around roles. Brawlers would get most of their xp from close combat. Spotters from spotting and supporters from helping out brawlers and spotters. This would bring alot needed variety.

I completely agree, +1.

It's just heavies, heavies and heavies, and then the occasional Obj.907 or Obj.430U. And everyone is brawling, in the same spot, and pushing each other around etc. The map consists of 100 squares, but only 6 of them is used for the actual fight before the mop up starts. I had a game in my Leopard 1, did 3.4k damage, but appearently I didn't deserve to get top 10 even though we won. Same goes with any TD I've tried so far.

IMHO they should revise the XP system so that all classes can contribute in their way and still be equally competetive in terms of XP gaining. And also they should make the repair + refill costs free so that we go +- 0 credits after each battle. Then atleast the rewards for each rank would be of some use for those that don't make it into a league.

Edited by fighting_falcon93, 08 March 2018 - 02:55 PM.

MarcoStrapone #20 Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38049 battles
  • [-BOMB] -BOMB
im eating a broccoli soup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users