Some tips on TOTT events for newer players

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Mike_Mckay #1 Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
I've been putting more time into the TOTT events since just before Christmas and have been playing around with approaches to try and do them as efficiently as possible so I thought I would share some of the things I have found help in case it might be useful to some

For most I would assume they have already thought of most if not all of these things but it might be useful for somebody, especially people who are always struggling with the silver or who have "almost" made it to the tier 10 but not quite

First thing is thinking ahead, the moment the voting starts I watch where most of the votes are going, and if its one I wouldn't mind trying for I start working on whatever tank I am at during the month before. If I have almost completed one I will try to get to the next one and then set a target of so much XP per day until the TOTT starts on that line usually trying to have finished off a tank and researched the next one just before the event starts. Then I sell the elited tanks the day before the event starts for the silver but don't buy the next one because of the discounts once the even starts.

During the event I tend to not sell any of the tanks I have worked through due to the sale price also being reduced. So I don't mind ending up broke during the event as I will have several tanks to sell after wards

Module upgrades is quite a big thing. If a tank in another line in the same nation shares a module with tanks in the TOTT line I will earn the XP on those tanks to unlock the module leaving more XP on the TOTT tank to go towards unlocking the next tank or modules unique to that tank

Any modules I don't need in order to unlock the next tank I try to leave until I have the next tank so I can unlock it more quickly (tracks are generally unavoidable though and some guns or turrets might be desperately needed upgrades to make a crap stock tank playable even if you don't "need" them to get to the next vehicle. But they make it happen faster. So this can be a case by case judgement call

Once I have the new tank I can then use the x2s on the earlier one to finish researching any modules I skipped prioritising ones that later tanks also use so that once again the now higher tier tank can focus on the modules it "has" to have to unlock the next tank or "needs" like tracks letting the XP for shared modules be earned on the previous tanks and other tanks on other lines on the nation

Once I know what I "need to earn to get to tier 10, and what can be left for a tank in another line, or at the previous tier to earn I add up the cost and XP needed then divide it by the number of days in the month.or the number of days youre likely to play WOT during the month

I would recommend rounding up so if its 15,456 XP per day make it 16 or 17 then on good days aim for 20 instead. This gives you a bit of a buffer for any days you cant play or when the MM gods seem to be treating you like you took a huge steaming dump in their cornflakes after defiling their sisters and mother the night before

This gives me an easy to see daily target that I need to achieve in the current highest tank in the line to get there in time

Playing close attention to the missions and ops can take some of the strain out of the grind too

With the French heavy line for example I had modules to be researched on the tier 7 and 8 after I had unlocked and was already playing the tier 9. This meant 3 tanks earning their x2 or x3 per day which reduces the amount of games you need to play to get the same amount of XP

With this TOTT I also was lucky enough to finish off the stug missions with honours all the way through freeing up 4 orders allowing me to complete mission 15 for the HTC too. This opened up the door to being able to do the easier missions for the T55A for quite a haul of silver towards paying for the TOTT tanks. Normally I tend to play a game in the TOTT tank then one in a premium tank then to the TOTT tank etc to keep the silver coming in whilst earning the needed XP which helps with taking the edge off of not selling the TOTT tanks until after the event ends

When silver is tight going to the depot and selling automatic fire extinguishers and food I have won in ops, modules for tanks I have sold and anything I bulk bought during a 50% off sale can often rack up quite a bit to tip you over the amount needed for a vehicle if youre short too

Premium time and XP boosts are more obvious, but a TOTT and the discounts are one of the more worthwhile things to use them for especially if you are playing several tanks in the same line/nation all researching modules needed to get to the tier 10

As I said most of that is pretty obvious apart from skipping certain modules to unlock the tank sooner then using the previous tier to earn the XP to unlock it instead of having to earn all of the XP on the highest tank in the line as it brings multiple X2s into play per day and if you die before a battle has ended in the highest tank in the line you can jump straight into one of the previous ones and play that so it keeps the XP rolling in towards completing the line before the event ends far more efficiently than selling the previous one when the next one is unlocked

Anyhoo, thought I would post this in the hope it might be of use to somebody

Edited by Mike_Mckay, 09 March 2018 - 08:24 PM.

Mike_Mckay #2 Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
Also I have a question re the TOTT events

If I unlock the tier 10 after the TOTT event has ended do I still have the ability to do the 50 missions with x2 XP and the ability to earn the boosters if I do all 50?

I have noticed those missions still show when I haven't completed a TOTT to the tier 10, but wasn't sure if them being there meant they were available if I got the tier 10 a few days late

C4BAL #3 Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 24292 battles

View PostMike_Mckay, on 09 March 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

Also I have a question re the TOTT events

If I unlock the tier 10 after the TOTT event has ended do I still have the ability to do the 50 missions with x2 XP and the ability to earn the boosters if I do all 50?

I have noticed those missions still show when I haven't completed a TOTT to the tier 10, but wasn't sure if them being there meant they were available if I got the tier 10 a few days late

You have 2 months to get the 50 wins in the tier X, the month of the ToTT and the month afterwards, even if you get the tier X after the first month. If you have the appropriate tier X you can complete the mission

arthurwellsley #4 Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50505 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostMike_Mckay, on 09 March 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

When silver is tight going to the depot and selling automatic fire extinguishers and food I have won in ops,  and anything I bulk bought during a 50% off sale can often rack up quite a bit to tip you over the amount needed for a vehicle if youre short too

For goodness sake no. This is poor advice. For the silver economy it makes far more sense to use AFE (automatic fire extinguisher) on every tank you have rather than the standard one. The standard one gives no bonus. The AFE reduces the chance of fire by 10% passively. So using an AFE means you will catch fire less often and so the AFE pays for itself in fewer uses than the standard one.

By all means sell the standard fire extinguishers, but never sell AFE.

Also if you have bought consumerables during a 50% sale, why the heck sell them?

Also why sell food consumerables when some tanks will really thrive on it?

Mike_Mckay #5 Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View Postarthurwellsley, on 09 March 2018 - 09:50 PM, said:

For goodness sake no. This is poor advice. For the silver economy it makes far more sense to use AFE (automatic fire extinguisher) on every tank you have rather than the standard one. The standard one gives no bonus. The AFE reduces the chance of fire by 10% passively. So using an AFE means you will catch fire less often and so the AFE pays for itself in fewer uses than the standard one.

Also if you have bought consumerables during a 50% sale, why the heck sell them?

How often do you think tanks actually catch fire?

I have never bought an AFE as I don't use them, but had around 900 of them in my depot at one point from missions which is a LOT of silver sitting doing nothing

But lets say someone has 40 of them, and its enough silver to buy a TOTT tank that is discounted before the event ends youre saying a "better" silver economy would be to not sell the AFEs and then a day or two later pay an extra 2 million silver to buy the exact same tank you could have bought for 2 million cheaper by selling the AFEs?

OMG, please don't EVER do my tax returns :)

As for the food consumables, again they were all WON, they were free and I only use them on arty and even that is only when I am chasing the harder SPG personal missions

If someone does use them they can just restock next time a 50% sale crops up, if they bought them during a 50% sale like I do with large health and repair kits then its a zero loss short term but a HUGE saving if its the difference between having enough silver to buy a discounted tank and having to pay the full price after the event has ended

Edited by Mike_Mckay, 09 March 2018 - 11:16 PM.

Tankyouverymuch2 #6 Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28440 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postarthurwellsley, on 09 March 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

I only use premium consumables for special events such as Ranked or certain Personal Missions, in the long run they're not needed while playing in randoms, especially for a free to play player, as they come in handy in the form of withdrawable credits. (selling them) :great: You get loads from weekend specials anyways...

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

Major

• Player
  • 50505 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostMike_Mckay, on 09 March 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

OMG, please don't EVER do my tax returns :)

You would probably save money if I did.

Leading up to the Brexit vote I figured which way it would go, placed my positions in futures on a fall in sterling against the euro, and made £6,400 the morning after the vote.

Afdass #8 Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12332 battles

Well, since WG introduced the reusable consumables I've been using automatic fire extinguisher in every single tank as it is, like the name says, automatic (which helps for those who don't have good enough reflects to quickly press that one key before losing 500 HP for the fire) and has 60sec cooldown. Helps a lot when your tank catches on fire way too often. All the rest of the premium consumables (except the foods) I usually sell them. Never bought large repairs or med kits and whenever I have some I usually sell them to make a few tasty credits (usually I keep a few large repais to use in some of my german tanks that get 4 modules damaged with half a shot).

So, don't really sell the automatic fire extinguishers but sell the rest of large kits. With the new reusable system the small kits are more than enough to get you through the battles. If you get more than one module damaged or crew members dead, just play more passive for 1 minute and then re-use it.

Mike_Mckay #9 Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View Postarthurwellsley, on 09 March 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

You would probably save money if I did.

Leading up to the Brexit vote I figured which way it would go, placed my positions in futures on a fall in sterling against the euro, and made £6,400 the morning after the vote.

Well it certainly doesn't show if you think that not selling say 40 fire extinguishers you won for free or bought at half price on the last day of a TOTT to save yourself 2 million in silver is "bad" economics

And as someone who NEVER uses any type of fire extinguisher on any tank I maybe catch fire 1 game out of 50, but I DO get tracked and hammered by multiple tanks in maybe 1 in 5 games

So based purely on usefulness I prefer to carry large repair and health with a small repair as I find the small repair gets me out of a lot more situations than a fire extinguisher would ever have done in fact it comes in handy most games in certain tanks, whereas a fire extinguisher taking up that slot would never be used on many tanks ever and would be both a waste of silver and a waste of a slot

But this thread is Very specifically about selling them to save MILLIONS of silver on a tank you lack the silver to purchase in time otherwise

And you think that selling off a few fire extinguishers you got for free or for the exact price you paid to save many MANY times more silver is "bad economics"? Lol, REALLY?

Long_Range_Sniper #10 Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29462 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostMike_Mckay, on 10 March 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

Well it certainly doesn't show if you think that not selling say 40 fire extinguishers you won for free or bought at half price on the last day of a TOTT to save yourself 2 million in silver is "bad" economics

And as someone who NEVER uses any type of fire extinguisher on any tank I maybe catch fire 1 game out of 50, but I DO get tracked and hammered by multiple tanks in maybe 1 in 5 games

So based purely on usefulness I prefer to carry large repair and health with a small repair as I find the small repair gets me out of a lot more situations than a fire extinguisher would ever have done in fact it comes in handy most games in certain tanks, whereas a fire extinguisher taking up that slot would never be used on many tanks ever and would be both a waste of silver and a waste of a slot

But this thread is Very specifically about selling them to save MILLIONS of silver on a tank you lack the silver to purchase in time otherwise

And you think that selling off a few fire extinguishers you got for free or for the exact price you paid to save many MANY times more silver is "bad economics"? Lol, REALLY?

You asked for advice and received it from a good player. Yet you discount that advice out of hand. Interesting approach you have there.

To make the WoT economy work at higher tiers you have to consider very carefully which re-usable consumables you take into battle.

A good standard set up is an AFE, and small repair and health kits. This will allow you to deal with all the situations you generally experience in the game. Taking a large and small repair kit into the game is usually an indication of an inability to determine when to repair instantly and when to repair using your crew. Part of being successful in the game is working out when to use your repair kits. If your driver is killed on Dorf and you're in a Type 5 parked on a corner then you might just ignore the loss of the driver.

arthur has given you a sound piece of advice in terms of an AFE, but if you don't want to take it then maybe others reading will use it to help their gaming.

Edited by Long_Range_Sniper, 10 March 2018 - 11:18 AM.

arthurwellsley #11 Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

Major

• Player
  • 50505 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostMike_Mckay, on 10 March 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

YES selling AFE's is bad economics. Also your comment "And as someone who NEVER uses any type of fire extinguisher on any tank" is appalling economics. Your comment " I maybe catch fire 1 game out of 50" is subjective and not evidence based. Different tanks catch fire at different rates depending on internal layout and module health. The fact that you have an account wide win rate of 47.76% speaks volumes about your grasp of ingame economics. The bottom line is the more you win, the more you are swimming in silver credits. So if using AFE on most if not all tanks means that you burn less and win more, your silver income will rise accordingly. Yes being frugal and buying TOTT discount teir X's is prudent, but actually if you win more, you will have more silver.

Using food in certain tanks will also help you win more. If you use food in a tank and hit and penetrate more that also generates more silver per match. So using food in some vehicles is profitable as it boost silver income per match above the cost of the consumerable. Note that this advice is specific to a limited range of vehicles and not all.

"And you think that selling off a few fire extinguishers you got for free or for the exact price you paid to save many MANY times more silver is "bad economics"? Lol, REALLY?" Yes really. AFE's over a long period will save you far more silver than the 15% purchase discount you gain during TOTT if during the same period the AFE's make you win more. Sometimes you must invest resources to reap a greater reward.

Most players with a higher winrate are swimming in silver credits.

OP you have five tier X tanks from 13,550 battles thats one bought for the cost of 2,710 battles.

I have 28 tier X tanks from 49,689 battles thats one bought for the cost of 1,774 battles.

Roughly I am generating silver income from random battles at roughly 35% more than you partly because of more economic use of consumerables.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 10 March 2018 - 12:19 PM.

D4wiD3K #12 Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

I have a better tip for the new players: Ignore top of the tree completely and be happy if it happens to hit a line you're currently grinding. See it as winning a small lottery.

ToTT is promotion that has caused many people I know play godawful tanks they hate and would've never even considered grinding without ToTT. They tried to chase insignificant discounts and a small amount of other rewards and as result wasted hours of frustrating grind and a lot of credits by forcing through a line they never wanted. 

With countless tank lines in the game I think "it's on discount for a few weeks and I get 10 personal reserves" has got to be one of the worst reasons imaginable to make the choice.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 10 March 2018 - 11:30 AM.

Long_Range_Sniper #13 Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29462 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postarthurwellsley, on 10 March 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Using food in certain tanks will also help you win more. I

I only use food on high tier French light tanks, and artillery when doing missions. But I do stock up on it when it's 50% off so I've generally got enough for those tanks between sales.

Because I don't chase those third MOE's I find an AFE generally suits my gameplay more than food because you only use another one when you use it. Whereas you can often win quite comfortably anyway without needing food to give you an edge for the tanks I often play.

If you go for TOTT then the most efficient way of getting net silver AND XP over the grind should be the best way.

CmdRatScabies #14 Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 09 March 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Because you can buy them back at the same price in the next sale.  Useful, no cost way of finding cash if you need it.

CmdRatScabies #15 Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 10 March 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

YES selling AFE's is bad economics.

Not using them is a bad idea, but selling some if you have more than enough to last you until the next 50% sale might make sense.  Putting all your credits into equipment and consumables when there is a 50% sale, knowing you can sell them for no loss if you need credits, makes sense to me.

Aikl #16 Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 10 March 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

(...)

True, or at least selling the excess. I use AFEs on just about every tank, save for artillery and some lights, and get roughly 200 each sale, often selling any excess to prepare for the next sale. I've yet to run out.

However, this kind of economy is bad because you're not relying on "natural" income for your "spending habits". I can't afford a Rolls Royce, nor could I afford to run it. I could sell some stuff to buy a Rolls, but I do not have the income to keep it running (at least not properly).

(To some degree the consumables discount would effectively be equal to 'pawning', but it still stands.)

Mike_Mckay #17 Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 10 March 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

You asked for advice and received it from a good player. Yet you discount that advice out of hand. Interesting approach you have there.

To make the WoT economy work at higher tiers you have to consider very carefully which re-usable consumables you take into battle.

A good standard set up is an AFE, and small repair and health kits. This will allow you to deal with all the situations you generally experience in the game. Taking a large and small repair kit into the game is usually an indication of an inability to determine when to repair instantly and when to repair using your crew. Part of being successful in the game is working out when to use your repair kits. If your driver is killed on Dorf and you're in a Type 5 parked on a corner then you might just ignore the loss of the driver.

arthur has given you a sound piece of advice in terms of an AFE, but if you don't want to take it then maybe others reading will use it to help their gaming.

Firstly I didn't "ask" for advice, I offered some

I discounted the "advice" because it was crap advice where not selling a small amount of them would cost a player almost 2 million extra silver once the event ended making it a financially stupid suggestion

as for the bit about consumables, firstly its a personal preference thing, what one person "likes" someone else might not. So logically someone would sell items they DONT use first if they were short the purchase price of the TOTT tank.

And no, what taking a small and large kit is indicative of is wanting to avoid using the large kit if possible, but having the option of two repairs in quick succession if you get instantly tracked after using the small kit so you can get into cover and wait for them both to regen rather than being locked in place as a static target for quick reloading enemy tanks

If my tanks caught fire more than once in a blue moon then I would probably take an AFE, but they don't, so I prefer taking things I DO actually use regularly rather than waste a slot on something I rarely have need for

Also try reading the actual thread before butting in eh?

The example is that you are at the end of a TOTT event and don't have the silver to buy a tank so the suggestion in THAT scenario (you know, the actual topic the thread is pertaining to) was to sell however many consumables you need to get the tank thereby saving what? 1.8 million in silver?

Although I guess as an afterthought I should maybe have pointed out that if you are 4 million silver short from buying the TOTT tank then it "might" not make sense to sell that much worth of consumables lol, but I did kind of assume someone who could actually use a keyboard and mouse would have enough brains to figure that out all by themselves

So again, the example was selling 40 to have enough silver to buy the tank. Which if someone has that many were either bought at half price or were won for free. So either way theres no lost silver from selling them but a saving of almost a couple of million by doing so

So regardless of whether someone uses them or not it doesn't alter the fact that doing so saves a crap load of silver in the short term on the TOTT tank and its very unlikely that they would have just the right amount to mean that selling the ones they need to buy the TOTT tank would be EXACTLY the amount they had

but even so, they can buy one each game until theyre on sale again.

And if the player doesn't use them then selling them makes no difference to them whatsoever

Edited by Mike_Mckay, 10 March 2018 - 12:27 PM.

Mike_Mckay #18 Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 10 March 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Because you can buy them back at the same price in the next sale.  Useful, no cost way of finding cash if you need it.

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 10 March 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

Not using them is a bad idea, but selling some if you have more than enough to last you until the next 50% sale might make sense.  Putting all your credits into equipment and consumables when there is a 50% sale, knowing you can sell them for no loss if you need credits, makes sense to me.

Its kind of like a piggy bank

I tend to massively overbuy the things I use "just because" along with a few of the more expensive modules when theres a sale. Then I can sell some "if needed" but its usually just a last resort if I have hit the end of the TOTT event or some other discount event and just cant make up the shortfall in silver

And as I have well over 100 tanks in my garage putting an AFE on each one considering I can go a 100 ballles easily or weeks in fact at times without a single fire it makes no sense whatsoever, whereas I lose crew or get tracked most games

When I have unlocked all the tanks and start going back to try for MOEs though THEN it might make more sense, but at the moment it makes none

CmdRatScabies #19 Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

View PostMike_Mckay, on 10 March 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

And as I have well over 100 tanks in my garage putting an AFE on each one considering I can go a 100 ballles easily or weeks in fact at times without a single fire it makes no sense whatsoever, whereas I lose crew or get tracked most games.

If you never catch fire then using an AFE costs you nothing.  Best solution for most tanks as LRS said, is AFE + small repair + small first aid.

Mike_Mckay #20 Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View Postarthurwellsley, on 10 March 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

YES selling AFE's is bad economics. Also your comment "And as someone who NEVER uses any type of fire extinguisher on any tank" is appalling economics. Your comment " I maybe catch fire 1 game out of 50" is subjective and not evidence based. Different tanks catch fire at different rates depending on internal layout and module health. The fact that you have an account wide win rate of 47.76% speaks volumes about your grasp of ingame economics. The bottom line is the more you win, the more you are swimming in silver credits. So if using AFE on most if not all tanks means that you burn less and win more, your silver income will rise accordingly. Yes being frugal and buying TOTT discount teir X's is prudent, but actually if you win more, you will have more silver.

Using food in certain tanks will also help you win more. If you use food in a tank and hit and penetrate more that also generates more silver per match. So using food in some vehicles is profitable as it boost silver income per match above the cost of the consumerable. Note that this advice is specific to a limited range of vehicles and not all.

"And you think that selling off a few fire extinguishers you got for free or for the exact price you paid to save many MANY times more silver is "bad economics"? Lol, REALLY?" Yes really. AFE's over a long period will save you far more silver than the 15% purchase discount you gain during TOTT if during the same period the AFE's make you win more. Sometimes you must invest resources to reap a greater reward.

Most players with a higher winrate are swimming in silver credits.

OP you have five tier X tanks from 13,550 battles thats one bought for the cost of 2,710 battles.

I have 28 tier X tanks from 49,689 battles thats one bought for the cost of 1,774 battles.

Roughly I am generating silver income from random battles at roughly 35% more than you partly because of more economic use of consumerables.

What has a "long period" got to do with a tank being 4 million today and 6 million tomorrow?

Selling 40 AFEs to save almost 2 million silver DOES make sense, perfect sense in fact. Even rebuying them at full price would still be a fraction of the 1.8 million silver you saved

And lol at the games per tier 10. Theres just so much wrong with that logic bereft train of thought I wouldn't know where to start

But firstly I don't "technically" have 5 tier 10s, two are special tanks that were removed, so its actually just 3. But it didn't take me anywhere near that many games to get any of them as most of my games will be spread across every other tank line where I haven't got a tier 10 yet

Your "example" would only have any relationship to actual reality if I had only ever played the lines I have the tier 10s in and had zero premium tanks. THEN your "division" would actually make some sense. But as that isn't the case it doesn't

And not buying fire extinguishers is most certainly not part of the puzzle lol

If youre tanks regularly catch fire then yeah use them, I would if mine did

But as mine don't, then I don't

If I do ever start playing a tank that regularly bursts into flames then and only then might I consider changing my load out. But it hasn't happened yet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users