Ranked Battle Season 1 End

Ranked Battle Season 1 Ranked S1 Ranked Season 1 Ranked Battle S1 Ranked Battle Season 1

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Archaean #1 Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14948 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

So, what where your thoughts on it for the first season after the successful(?) beta? I absolutely didn't enjoy ranked battle. My goal was to get into the top 10% and I did so fairly easily within 4 days with rather limited play time(lately I'm doing more sports so I have to sacrifice gaming time - poor me!).

To put it in incredibly simple terms, I will post only two things I liked and two things I disliked about it.

What I liked:

• It's nice to play with better players. You can learn many new things easily by exclusively playing with and against better players
  • Rewards

what I disliked:

• Only certain types of tanks reliable
  • Prem Ammo spam

So, what are your thoughts on ranked battles?

I'm so proud of myself!

Edited by Archaean, 11 March 2018 - 09:28 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26586 battles

Like:  Lot of goodies on offer. Was worth doing just for those.

Dislike: XP distribution for wins. If the goal is to win then someone who caps should get a chevron automatically as they basically 'won' the game for everyone else whereas in an XP system they wouldn't get one even tho they carried the game.

Archaean #3 Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14948 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

a pity they don't do this often enough. Additional Credits per Battle reward reserves shouldn't be limited to ranked battles only.

so slick!

Jumping_TurtIe #4 Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5356 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Only played it for the first few days and never got further than tier 6 but :

rewards are given when you reach a rank. So you get these and wont lose them if you suck a bit later an drop two ranks.

Safe spots at certain ranks.

Cons:

Tanks used.

Reward tanks still allowed.

Archaean #5 Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14948 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostJumping_TurtIe, on 11 March 2018 - 09:52 PM, said:

Only played it for the first few days and never got further than tier 6 but :

rewards are given when you reach a rank. So you get these and wont lose them if you suck a bit later an drop two ranks.

Safe spots at certain ranks.

Cons:

Tanks used.

Reward tanks still allowed.

the most seen tank in ranked battles for me was the S. Conq. Even if reward tanks were allowed, they didn't have that much of an impact and they didn't hold too much of an advantage either.

Hertdegekke #6 Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22030 battles
  • [REBLS] REBLS

View PostArchaean, on 11 March 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

the most seen tank in ranked battles for me was the S. Conq. Even if reward tanks were allowed, they didn't have that much of an impact and they didn't hold too much of an advantage either.

I second this. I know the S Conq is used a lot. But most people with a high chevron percentage played the 907 quite a lot. Because it is more versatile than the S Conq. I don't say the S Conq is not a close to OP tank (finally the brits get one as well), but if I saw people with hight chevron rate they most of the time played a lot of 907. And if I saw people with lower stats (and lower chevron rate) they most of the time played in a Type5//268 4.

Dihi #7 Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36275 battles

View PostHertdegekke, on 12 March 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

I second this. I know the S Conq is used a lot. But most people with a high chevron percentage played the 907 quite a lot. Because it is more versatile than the S Conq. I don't say the S Conq is not a close to OP tank (finally the brits get one as well), but if I saw people with hight chevron rate they most of the time played a lot of 907. And if I saw people with lower stats (and lower chevron rate) they most of the time played in a Type5//268 4.

I've been in 8v8 or 9v9 type 5 heavy games at rank 14-15....that's not lower chevron rate...

clixor #8 Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:53 PM

Major

• Player
  • 49563 battles

I think 'overall' i liked this season. Not having to rank up each week from 0 again stops you from HAVING to play each and every week. Still though, it eventually became a grindfest for most players a guess. I personally ended up at rank12 and especially the last week i mostly saw 51-ish% players and even some 46%-ers. This made me really doubt the whole 'rank=skill' thing again as they also were exactly the players who threw the games for their teams.

Also, when i ran out of prem.consumables and food i just stopped using them, no noticable difference and i can imagine you can at least break even playing like that.

HundeWurst #9 Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:07 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67549 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
0 Warning points? You really dont try hard enough.

Etre_ #10 Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50742 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB
This season was too easy. Also, giving gold to 5000 players instead of 1000 ? I played it for the badge but seems this badge will be of little worth. 

HundeWurst #11 Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67549 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostEtre_, on 12 March 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

This season was too easy. Also, giving gold to 5000 players instead of 1000 ? I played it for the badge but seems this badge will be of little worth. 

Which badge out there is actaully worth anything? There is just not a single badge out there. Ranked has nothing to do with skill but is another grinding mode which allows you to transform credits into bonds in an indirect way.

unrealname #12 Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20275 battles
ranked, wut? ok i played it on a first week most of the evenings for 2 hours, got up to rank 13, then dropped back to 12 and didn't play it any more, only difference for me not playing it after first week, is that i dropped from 1st league to second, oh my i lost 2k bonds, what should i do now.. only bright side from ranked was that i got enough bonds to buy improved equipment piece - vents and put them on T57, do i recognise big improvement? No, but on that thing every little boost helps.

Edited by unrealname, 12 March 2018 - 01:00 AM.

Temid23 #13 Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50814 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

Like: Easy bounds without really trying hard :great: and without putting to much time in ranked (played 8-10h during whole season)

Dislike:

- Same FOTM tanks over and over.

- Grind is still much more important then "skill".

Maybe its time to change tier of that mode just for testing or introduce some kind of tanks/games per day lockout.

unrealname #14 Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20275 battles
so you want ranked with tier 8s? 15vs15 defenders all day long :D

Edited by unrealname, 12 March 2018 - 01:04 AM.

Temid23 #15 Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50814 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

View Postunrealname, on 12 March 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

so you want ranked with tier 8s? 15vs15 defenders all day long :D

Tier 7 or 9 maybe? Also tank lock out would prevent players from spamming same tank over and over.

D4wiD3K #16 Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

It's [edited] and has nothing to do with skill.

It's just a bunch of players avoiding risks and spamming the battle button until they hit a high rank. Skill makes climbing ranks faster but fundamentally this is not a skill based format. I remember laughing when I was hit by a 44% arty player in rank 11 who had basically just been botting his SPG and spamming battle button until he'd get a decent rank. Even in ranks 14-15 you saw yellow or even orange players with 800-1000 battles played. The other day there was a player on the 11th place on the leaderboard who had like 48% win rate and a terrible chevron efficiency but who had played like 1k battles this season. Very hard to call this a skill oriented format when bots like that are being rewarded.

My situation was kind of bad because I tried to play for a few battles during the first night and when no game lasted more than 4 minutes I ragequit and didn't touch the format at all until 4 days before the event when I realized I still needed the bonds so I started to play a couple of hours each day and forced through rank 15 which took me 80 games. I think I will finish in league 1 as well, though I am not 100% sure yet. I have good tiebreakers(62.5% chevron eff) and when I last checked there were many players at rank 15 who are in league 1 with chevron efficiency of 35% or so.

Strategy was simple: Get a decent result in every battle before taking any risks and only start to worry about winning after a top-10 spot looks somewhat secure. Spammed Super Conqueror until rank 10-11 or so at which point you mostly had players remaining who realized that armored tanks are the best options and the game deteriorated into 30 tier 10 camping either hulldown or sidescraping in a chokepoint. As result I ditched the Super Conqueror and started to play Type 5 and AMX 50B and simply grinded down the enemy teams through good trades. Plan worked out great and even at higher ranks I found progressing easy. I do not own a 430U, 907 or 268 v4 that would've also been viable.

The format goes to highlight how flawed the map design is, how 15 vs. 15 is far too much with the retarded view ranges of tier 10 and in general how [edited]ing [edited] tier 10 really is. There's too much armor, there's too much view range, there's too much burst damage, there's too much HE and all broken things. It's also purely P2W. The gameplay is all about camping good positions with no real counterplays.

I'll be honest - the format is terrible. Tier 10 gameplay is terrible. The only reason why I sold myself out to do this were the rewards(that were good, I must say). These 80 games are enough of tier 10 for a long time for me. It's simply much more fun to play around in ELC EVEN or T92 than to have 268 v4s, Super Conquerors, Mauses, 907s, Type 5s, Jagdpanzer E100s, Deathstars jerk off against each other with full gold loads and arties hitting you for 500 and stunning you for 25sec.

Tier 10 is just a bait from Wargaming. They have decided that by making tier 10 tanks broken they attract players to grind new lines after their tier 8 tank dies "by that awesome tier 10". The unfortunate thing is that it completely ruins the gameplay when a bunch of broken tanks fights another bunch of broken tanks. Outside of events like this I can't understand how can people stand playing tier 10 nowadays. It's just dumbed down, super straightforward showdown of over-armored diseases where gold ammo gives you a massive edge. Sure it's cool to be top tier every game but with gameplay like this, is it really worth it?

This comes from someone who had no problems adapting to the format, who did very well on all meters and who consciously played those broken tanks he is whining about because they were the best choices. It's not meant to be a ragepost, just a summary of what tier 10 and ranked battles really are.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 12 March 2018 - 01:43 AM.

HundeWurst #17 Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:45 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67549 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostD4wiD3K, on 12 March 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

Add to all that the abysmally bad map design. Its just terrible. At least 50% of all battles were decided by the spawn on the map (granted the team with the better spawn did not screw up every possible thing).

These maps.... The higher you got the more obvious the extreme flaws of the maps were showcased. All the broken positions con constantly abused by the players. Add the ever ongoing amount of chokepoints and you got yourself a really really bad gameplay.

Lets put the rewards aside and just imagine you would join the game WoT and experience this as the final gameplay you are going to get. Would you still even consider playing this game on a regular basis? I for sure wont.

Now I played like a shitter, a whole entire day basically on full tilt. I died myself to league 1 this time. I am not going to deny that. I took all this crap upon me to get to the rewards. But in the end!?!? Do I really want and need these rewards?

Like Circonflexes said in one of his more recent streams. Am I and are we so brainwashed by Wargaming that we take everything WG is throwing at us?

I must admit I fell for these rewards. I should not have done that however. We might need to start thinking for ourselfs again and start to stop playing the mode we dont like, even though there is a giant as carrot on a stick.

We are all complaining day in day out. Nothing changed, WG just ignores us completly. Well I guess I personally will stop eating there [edited]now. Enough is enough.

PS: DId you ever meet someone who said that he enjoyed the ranked gameplay? I did not. I only ever met people who are playing the mode for the rewards. Imagine the gamemode without the rewards. I dont think more than 10 players would have gotten to rank 15 if it would not have been for these rewards.

A mode only played for the rewards and not the fun is a fail.

Spurtung #18 Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:51 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60039 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostArchaean, on 11 March 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

a pity they don't do this often enough. Additional Credits per Battle reward reserves shouldn't be limited to ranked battles only.

so slick!

Meh...

Spoiler

Spurtung #19 Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60039 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostWunderWurst, on 12 March 2018 - 03:45 AM, said:

PS: DId you ever meet someone who said that he enjoyed the ranked gameplay? I did not. I only ever met people who are playing the mode for the rewards. Imagine the gamemode without the rewards. I dont think more than 10 players would have gotten to rank 15 if it would not have been for these rewards.

A mode only played for the rewards and not the fun is a fail.

That's ranked in a nutshell, eating crap to get rewards nobody really needs.

DeltaOperator #20 Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:18 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23883 battles
Only played for the rewards, T10 gameplay can go f*** itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users