Playing low tiers......

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

NoobySkooby #1 Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14101 battles

I have noticed in a quite a few threads that some consider playing low tier tanks beneath them, why is this from tier three upwards that there are some good tanks, even the slow ones like Valentines and Matilda's are a heap of fun.

I have not reached the giddy heights of tier 9 and 10 yet so this I regard are a genuine question.

TungstenHitman #2 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23105 battles
I suppose when more experienced players encounter teams of 43% win rate noobs in Matilda's and Valentine's, which consider those tanks a heap of fun when in reality there a heap of.... it hardly seems fair or even a challenge. No me though, I consider it great fun to wreck an entire team of such players when in a bad mood, it's a great stress relief.

evilchaosmonkey #3 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16674 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

Simple answer is epreen.

More complex answer (IMO) is probably it's quite hard to influence a game in these tiers.  It is more or less random as to whether you win or not given each team is chocked full of low experience players.

To win you have to put far more effort in than at the slightly higher tiers or press 2 more often.

After all, it does feel like it's 1 vs 29 quite often.

TungstenHitman #4 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23105 battles

View Postevilchaosmonkey, on 13 March 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

After all, it does feel like it's 1 vs 29 quite often.

That would be any tier.

Balc0ra #5 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66565 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Bad new players are on all tiers almost. Even tier 8 has 0K players. So depends on how you look at it.

Tho awhile back there was a new player protection system in place. So playing low tiers you mostly faced players with 10K games in their tier 2's more so then 0K players. And then I really did not mind playing low tiers that much now and then for fun. As XVM showed only 1 or 2 players out of 30 with 0K games. Everyone else had 5 to 25K games etc. So was that padding?

That system is now gone it seems. As now you only face 0K players each time I check. So now again most see it as padding as it's easy damage for most. And most see it as a good way to scare away new players. As they get steam rolled all the time and might not want to play the game anymore, as it's no fun. So most don't play low tiers for that as well now.

But what is considered low tiers differs. That protection system was only for tier 1 to 3 tanks. So that's low tiers for some. Me inc. So for me tier 4 is not really low tiers. As tier 4 to 7 is more or less mid tiers territory in my book. And I have plenty of tier 4 tanks I enjoy. Tho one of them I have over 1K games in. Tho over 800 of them when it had 4+ and +3 MM and faced tier 8 armor. Now it's less fun with the new MM tbh. So I've played it less.

Edited by Balc0ra, 13 March 2018 - 07:18 PM.

Steve8066 #6 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12542 battles

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 13 March 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

I have noticed in a quite a few threads that some consider playing low tier tanks beneath them, why is this from tier three upwards that there are some good tanks, even the slow ones like Valentines and Matilda's are a heap of fun.

I have not reached the giddy heights of tier 9 and 10 yet so this I regard are a genuine question.

MM is fairer in lower tiers where the difference in actual tiers means a lot less.

RamRaid90 #7 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22036 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 13 March 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

I have not reached the giddy heights of tier 9 and 10 yet

Thank the lord.

In answer to your question. Some of the lower tier fast tanks feel a little bit like playing a match-box racing car with a gun. It's fun to unwind in lower tiers at the end of the evening when you've had a decent night in higher tiers.

Time to let go and have a laugh down there.

Edited by RamRaid90, 13 March 2018 - 07:22 PM.

Hedgehog1963 #8 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51441 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
They act as gatekeepers,  or they imagine they do.

Lycopersicon #9 Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10610 battles

This is why:

Very few exprienced players play low tiers, because these tiers are generally too easy for experienced players to dominate, because very few experienced players play low tiers.

Tank-wise, tiers 1-2 (3) feel somewhat silly to me; like farming equipment covered with metal plates and equipped with machine guns. The real WWII tanks begin mostly at tier 4 - indeed, Valentine and Matilda being somewhat iconic, so it is a little sad that we don't play them. At the other end, WWII tanks generally end at tiers 6-7; what follows are vehicles that have at best been used in cold war era bickerings in obscure corners of the Earth.

_funitoo__ #10 Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1126 battles
There are a lot of players who play higher tiers and say low tier players are too easy. But the fact of the matter is most of them haven't played low tiers in a long time and would get owned in tier 1 or tier 2. Low tiers are a bit like tier 10, there are many so called seal-clubbers who have fully equiped tanks and play low tiers a lot and the rest are either noobs or people who are starting a new line and don't really care - they just want to get through it fast. And when those "low tiers are too easy" players do try to play low tiers they get owned by the 45%ers in Matildas and go back to higher tiers. Of course they'll never admit it to anyone that they get owned in low tiers. Not even to themselves.

Edited by _funitoo__, 13 March 2018 - 08:46 PM.

steview162 #11 Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 34510 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
Play what is fun.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66565 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Post_funitoo__, on 13 March 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

There are a lot of players who play higher tiers and say low tier players are too easy. But the fact of the matter is most of them haven't played low tiers in a long time and would get owned in tier 1 or tier 2. 

There are also many saying low tiers is harder to carry on some maps. Since it's way more unpredictable vs high tiers. And will turn on a dime in a second. On higher tiers you can more easily predict most events based on how your team moves etc. As there most go to lanes based on their class and enemy build etc. On low tiers you have no idea what will go where. And you never have time to react to the map, as most burst guns will kill off that flank before you even turn your tank around to help. And most flanks are lost in seconds due to it.

Edited by Balc0ra, 13 March 2018 - 08:57 PM.

CraftyVeteran #13 Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4255 battles
  • [-VIKG] -VIKG
playing lower tiers is more fun since wg has thrown the balance out of whack with stronk russian tenks in 9 and 10. if youre tier 8, forget about it anymore. at least at lower tiers if i get killed its usually my own stupidity rather than impenetrable and untrackable stalinium spamming every game. 

wremise #14 Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 48464 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

The lowest tier I normaly play is tier 4 with my lovly pz3. That tank is like the wz132 at tier 4. You can shoot fast, you are agile and it is fun. (at it isnt all that OP like a matilda)

Playing anything lower then Tier 4 isnt really all that fun, I also only have all the present tanks at that tier...

These tiers arent that enjoiable: you are fast, and you kill fast and die fast.... there isnt really any "challenge", its just plain boring. For one or two matches it can be fun, but after that is really meh~

SnowRelic #15 Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22989 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I remember QuickyBaby playing some sort of tier 3 with a little bit of gun depression. He got Prokhorovka. Went on about the awesome spotting he'd do with his bino's. Drove up to the center ridge. Encountered some other player. Did his ridge line thingie. The other player bounced his turret once or twice and then, instead of doing the magical 2-2, the other player drove over the ridge, circled round QB, pumped him full with shells as QB sat in disbelief looking at his screen, screaming "why doesn't anyone shoot the guy?" and then he ranted a minute about how bad low tier players were because pulling the same moves in tier 10 would be suicide. While that's very true, it's all the more reason to pull such stunts at lower tiers.

Low tiers are far more chaotic. Tanks get killed a lot faster, low tiers are more brutal and punishing. It's a different game. I can understand why people dislike it. Being a good player on high tiers requires consistency... good luck finding that on lower tiers.

Having fun is the important part. Go out and play the tanks you enjoy, whatever tier they are.

CraftyVeteran #16 Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4255 battles
  • [-VIKG] -VIKG

View PostSnowRelic, on 13 March 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

I remember QuickyBaby playing some sort of tier 3 with a little bit of gun depression. He got Prokhorovka. Went on about the awesome spotting he'd do with his bino's. Drove up to the center ridge. Encountered some other player. Did his ridge line thingie. The other player bounced his turret once or twice and then, instead of doing the magical 2-2, the other player drove over the ridge, circled round QB, pumped him full with shells as QB sat in disbelief looking at his screen, screaming "why doesn't anyone shoot the guy?" and then he ranted a minute about how bad low tier players were because pulling the same moves in tier 10 would be suicide. While that's very true, it's all the more reason to pull such stunts at lower tiers.

Low tiers are far more chaotic. Tanks get killed a lot faster, low tiers are more brutal and punishing. It's a different game. I can understand why people dislike it. Being a good player on high tiers requires consistency... good luck finding that on lower tiers.

Having fun is the important part. Go out and play the tanks you enjoy, whatever tier they are.

probably the most level-headed post ever made on this forum.  well done sir. 

BonjiOrongji #17 Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41629 battles
  • [RMBLE] RMBLE
first of all just play what you guys have fun with ...but in all honestly just pack your 4 skill+ crew in your tier 2/3/4/5 tank, use equipment, use prem consumables and dominate each and every game ... you are going to spot and kill 80%+ of the enemy team before they even spot you ... so much challlange to farm some noobs with 50% crews that are not even close to fully understand the camo system and/or dont have credits for equipment/consumables :sceptic:

RamRaid90 #18 Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22036 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostSnowRelic, on 13 March 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

This is bang on the money.

Lower tiers are insane. Stupid things that work once in a lifetime in high tier are socommon that the games are completely unpredictable.

Szatanshow #19 Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24615 battles
  • [_OF_] _OF_
Play whatever you want as long as it gives you fun

HaZardeur #20 Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 33986 battles
Main difference between low and high tier matches... its more unpredictable in low tier. Above tier 7 the "real" gold spam starts and is to be expected.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users