Level Design Improvements: My Sweet Fjords

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
We showcase why and what we improved on this summertime map.

The full text of the news item

SlyMeerkat #2 Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15555 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Let me be the first to say that i really do like the new map changes unlike most who will probably just complain like they always do over any slight change but i am really looking forward to the next patch!

_Kapi_ #3 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24102 battles
  • [R3QT] R3QT
What about camping teams on the 9/0 lines in clan battles, this is by far the worst map to attack in Clan Wars and Advance.

airbornefilip #4 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

Official Kamikaze

• Beta Tester
  • 25849 battles
  • [YATTA] YATTA
hated this map regardless of what tank I took. Will see how it goes after changes go live. Seems like an improvement.

HadurHun #5 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 66892 battles
  • [HADUR] HADUR
I didn't like what I saw on test server! 90* angles on everything, you are making flat maps with building like mountains. no terrain advantage! you are making noob proof maps!

Arnul #6 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21302 battles
I thinks it still to campy map, but improves looks good. Maybe need tunnel near 1 pozition to separate all HT from only one corner, but still get them cover from artys. Canyon in middle even now is rarely used, because artys easily gets shoot there. In new map versions looks like will be more complicate shoot in other position. So all heavys will try go 1 corner. But there are not enough space if in team are more than 4 tanks who goes in that position

Cobra6 #7 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16314 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

So you basically made the whole middle of the map one big open NO GO zone and called it an improvement? I really don't know what kind of bizarro universe you are occupying but big open fields are generally just a waste of map space, certainly if they are in the middle of it as you can not go there at all with any tank unless you want to go back to the garage swiftly.

Just look at Steppes or Campinovka, that field is completely unusable for the majority of the battle and only in the last stages can fast tanks use it to cross the map, this is bad as it's wasted space that could be occopied better with either buildings, bushes or terrain cover but NOT be made into corridors.

Also you've flattened out the map significantly which is bad for general gameplay, it means that everything can go hull-down everywhere which is bad. Gun depression is a balancing factor in tanks and if an Is-3 can go hull down everywhere you're just creating more drawn out boring slugging fests.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 14 March 2018 - 05:32 PM.

marios2002 #8 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 27043 battles
  • [GR_GR] GR_GR

good job on remaking this map but wg have you ever though on making new maps such as kursk,minsk,berlin maps with some modifications for all types of tanks.pls do it community wants new maps or they will gey bored of the old ones 

signature.png

AppleMars #9 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12299 battles
  • [V-TER] V-TER

View PostCobra6, on 14 March 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

So you basically made the whole middle of the map one big open NO GO zone and called it an improvement? I really don't know what kind of bizarro universe you are occupying but big open fields are generally just a waste of map space, certainly if they are in the middle of it as you can not go there at all with any tank unless you want to go back to the garage swiftly..

Cobra 6

This!

The newest version is much worst than the current on live servers (as I already wrote on forums). In addition, the newly created hill is a clear advantage for the right side because the left side must go around and the right side can stop easily the push from the left side by having a tank or two in the south-east and control a very narrow road to the hill. Instead of making better maps, you make them MUCH worst! Seriously?!  

TwistedDrake #10 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1498 battles
Well I'll have to see how it does before I can take a stance on if it is good or not.. but from the get go and the mentioning of making the map more flat, then I'll say worse... but yes have to try once it hits the live server.

Simona2k #11 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1456 battles
  • [GGLT] GGLT
i like the map rework

MeNoobTank #12 Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9987 battles

This map is much more unbalanced now... IDK what is wrong with WG, you say you balance but you make things worse. Why ?

Oh...wait. They also said that Obj 268 v4 is balanced and would rather need a buff ! Now everything makes sense.

kuzia6104 #13 Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14455 battles
well the improvements could have been good, BUT you made the 0-9 K-J place even more Campish place, then it was already (the 1 position will not be able to advance at all, as more open to arty from F0, and the Campish site of tds + G8-7. So from this point of view the top team has one way - through the top or go into deep camp. 

TijgernootTank #14 Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44162 battles
  • [TOURN] TOURN

Putting this time and effort into new maps would been much better idea .

Now u already see some negative comments about the changes in maps .

Just put new maps in on regular bases and introduce some kind of map vote system .

Remove least popular maps out of mapcycle temporary or if happens more often permanent removel .

And keep adding new maps .

Really how hard can this be , wg has been making more then enough money , u would think some more effort could been made at this point .

Or is it really hard to make new maps with this new engine [ graphics ], just like it seemed to be with old engine .

Should this not be something u take into account when selecting an engine for a game .

Homer_J #15 Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27499 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

So, because only 1 side was good for arty they reworked it now neither side will have any decent arty spots. :facepalm::arta:

It's not even like that was a low risk place for arty to go to anyway, 50% of the time your team would let an enemy scout straight through the middle.

kamikaze_90 #16 Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 25423 battles
"Arty was playable on one side only, so we decided to make it unplayable on both sides"  :facepalm:
Seriously, why not just remove arties?

8126Jakobsson #17 Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 61992 battles
The point about arty being able to click the brainless brawl corner from one side but not the other doesn't make sense. As if arty players keyboards gets unlocked so that they can position themselves correctly only if they get the northern spawn. You can click there just fine from both sides. 

Elhazzared #18 Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20744 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

So you say improvements wargamming? I will agree some things are improved, however the map is going to become even more unbalanced now as the north team will have a HUGE advantage.

I will use the markers of the old map (ince it has a lot more) to describe the problems on the new map.

The location number 2 is going to keep being a problem for the south spawn going to fight around the corner of position one. They will keep getting sniped as they go through the town to get to their fighting position! Why was this problem not solved?

Position 10 will still be able to shell position 1. It is true that it is a more exposed position now, however between a hill blocking view from the right side of the center and some tanks obviously going there and going to the position 4, the artillery should be safe there!.

The central hill as you call it only has one entrance from what I can see and that is the south entrance which makes it only really usable for the south spwan, woudn't be bad considering the north spawn so far has all the advantages, however considering the hill is completely devoid of any concealing terrain features, what will happen is that nayone going up there to spot will be spoted and die without actually contributing anything to the battle which makes that position worthless for the south spawn.

In order to balance this map, the central right side hill of the map must be leveled to prevent artillery from taking position 10 and shell posion 1 and position 2 must be reworked so that under no circunstances it can take shots at the heavy tanks going brawl at position 1. The new central hill should also not be accessible.

imendars #19 Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10946 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Edit: Eh never mind

Edited by imendars, 14 March 2018 - 08:47 PM.

D4wiD3K #20 Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

But hey since you're so worried about arty balance can't we have TD balance too? Add a properly elevated peninsula with tons of cover for the north spawn too so their brainless 45% TD bots of north spawn can also camp the base without having any shots at anything. Was it so hard to remove one of the most broken and infuriating positions in the game?

When you spawn north you will be forced to play the map in a narrower, campy way because any aggression close to the enemy base will be punished by the awesome peninsula campers who can shoot into any direction without being spotted. At least your comfort is that your own TDs are probably going to have to move and they just might shoot something you spot. When you spawn south and you have TDs going to the peninsula you already know they are deadweight [edit]bots who are first going to be involved when the map control(and often the battle) is lost. 

The whole position is [edited]ing [edited] and it only serves to encourage terrible gameplay.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 14 March 2018 - 08:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users