Is the grind worth it?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

NoobySkooby #1 Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10727 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

Recently I have done the grind for two tanks in particular, and to me they are both not very good, first one was the Churchill BP, which after one or two games in it i thoroughly leave it alone, the second one was the IS3, again only had the chance to play one game in it and was not impressed, hopefully it will grow on me.

As a buyer of premiums for the free XP, I now find myself wondering what to grind for next, as i take note of a lot of what people say on various forums and what they say in game. twice now I have missed out on the Comet, which most say is a crap tank, as for grinding for any higher tier than a 8, I have given up completely, as the nearest I am to a tier nine would be grinding the O HO, ready for that final dream of a tier nine tank, tier ten may as well be situated on the dark side of the moon for I am never going to see it.

Do I need a break from the game as I have seemingly totally lost my way with regards what to grind for, anyone else ever had this feeling?

MrClark56 #2 Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5880 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

the IS3 grind is worth it if you like heavy tanks. stock it is not good, i have 13 % WR in mine, but then you will see it will get better.

Grinding tanks from Tier 9 takes more time and a lot of effort as T9-T10 gameplay is ruthless, you meet very good players with thousands of battles under ther belts that eat you alive if you are not careful.

but maybe you should keep to low tier 5-6 to learn more about the games and how to deal more damage. at higher tiers with your current capabilities you will be eaten alive..

failing_koala #3 Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25125 battles
IS-3 is worth the grind BL-9 does the trick.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

The BL-9 is one of the worst gun I played. Fully aimed it miss a lot or tend to hit exactly where it can't pen. Snapshotting is the same, but at least you can expect it.

Really KV-2 derp feel more accurate!

Solstad1069 #5 Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40027 battles

Your goal should be to grind your way to several tier 5 and 6 tanks. Both different tank types and from different nations.

Build the crew and get experience. Then you decide what tanks are worth grinding further up. 

Low to mid tier grinding is quick, but high tier grinding is much harder.

There is no point moving up the tiers if you cant do damage in the mid tiers. 

Edited by Solstad1069, 15 March 2018 - 01:11 PM.

Geno1isme #6 Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41454 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

Don't take this wrong, but first you should really learn how to play the game.

While I generelly say that "hitrate" is the most useless value in the game, your 18% in that stat are beyond horribly bad. Do you maybe play with a touchpad or some other weird controller setup?

Just buying all premium tanks in the game won't teach you how to play it ...

Edited by Geno1isme, 15 March 2018 - 01:10 PM.

Szatanshow #7 Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23170 battles
The last time i tried to grind Wg have change the tier X to something i dont want so i stop bothering with grind

Ragnaguard #8 Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52370 battles
  • [MOUFA] MOUFA

One of the best aspects that you get while grinding, is the fact that you get to slowly learn the game.

So my advice would be: put aside (not sell) but put aside ALL your premiums that are above t 5.

And start playing.... yes try different tanks, try them out (NEVER judge them while stock)... find the ones u like, the ones that fit ur playstyle.... then seek for similar ones once u get the hang of it go up a tier....

Do not spend more money until u start to like the game!

And join a clan! u will find clans that u do not like, and clans that u like (and by clans i mean the people in it). The clan's most experienced players ussually  will share tips and their experience while playing so will grow more fond of what the heck is going on! ;-) 

Have fun m8! 

NoobySkooby #9 Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10727 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View PostGeno1isme, on 15 March 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

Don't take this wrong, but first you should really learn how to play the game.

While I generelly say that "hitrate" is the most useless value in the game, your 18% in that stat are beyond horribly bad. Do you maybe play with a touchpad or some other weird controller setup?

Just buying all premium tanks in the game won't teach you how to play it ...

The premium buy is usually for the free XP which i love to see rack up,  although I do admit I have gone way, way overboard, so much so that I should be keel hauled:trollface:

Maybe I ought to have shares in WG, lol

As for  Clans i have just left one as I sort of fell out with th e leader which is never a good thing, although I did learn plenty and there are some real nice folk out there, not sure yet if I am ready to join another.

Cannes76 #10 Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64433 battles
  • [3V] 3V
IS-3 is an excellent tank. If you're having a hard time in it, then you are probably not ready for anything resembling high tier gameplay.

EVILpanzer #11 Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16301 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 15 March 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Recently I have done the grind for two tanks in particular, and to me they are both not very good, first one was the Churchill BP, which after one or two games in it i thoroughly leave it alone, the second one was the IS3, again only had the chance to play one game in it and was not impressed, hopefully it will grow on me.

As a buyer of premiums for the free XP, I now find myself wondering what to grind for next, as i take note of a lot of what people say on various forums and what they say in game. twice now I have missed out on the Comet, which most say is a crap tank, as for grinding for any higher tier than a 8, I have given up completely, as the nearest I am to a tier nine would be grinding the O HO, ready for that final dream of a tier nine tank, tier ten may as well be situated on the dark side of the moon for I am never going to see it.

Do I need a break from the game as I have seemingly totally lost my way with regards what to grind for, anyone else ever had this feeling?

A bit late to answer... but here goes.

I've played this game since summer 2011 and I'm at tier 8 in almost all techtrees save the italians and swedes. That said I only have grinded to 6 tier 9 tanks (Type 4, T49, amx 1390, bc 25 ap, T95 and object 212A). I have NO tier 10 tanks at all... after 7 years of playing. Still alot of money have been spent into the game mostly premium tanks.

I've asked myself the same question the last year or so about the grinding part. Here's my thoughts regarding that.

No tanks get better you will still face other OP tanks and always better players. Stock grinds becomes more horrible and spending money becomes a must (prem time and gold to freeXP those horrible grinds).

I have rage sold many tanks and bought them back (sucks for your credits). What I have considered during the last year is to stop at a specific tier like 6-8 and play the tanks I like. The downside to this is it becomes boring quickly and gives no incentive to play at all with few maps and stale gameplay.

High tiers 9-10 might seem like fun because of the progress (grind) you make. But this game lacks interesting endgame content so this option isn't viable either.

Maybe I'm done with this game, I dunno.

It feels like a huge waste of time.

My advise at last will be grind and keep tanks you like and don't go above tier 7 (if you are a resonable ok player, you wont lose credits). If you find this is boring just thinking about it, you may want to quit for good.

And finally do yourself a favour and stay away from the Type 4 heavy. This tank sucks beyond anything I've ever played, slow, spotted outside of renderrange, long reload means if you are alone you are dead, armour doesn't work due to goldspam... I could go on...

Anyway have a nice life. I wish you all the best.

rick1002 #12 Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 34353 battles
  • [RTRUK] RTRUK
I have ground out many tanks, the only one I stopped was the Swedish tier 7 Leo.
Sadly many if the lines I have gone down have been some of the worst in the game, British tanks before any buffs, and the German lines which are crucified on here.
I have learned many valuable lessons along the way about spotting, modules and crew skills from the forum which I wish I had known at the start. YES I was that idiot who started each tank with a new minty per cent crew because I didn't know better. Etc.
These mistakes all reflect in my stats but at least I still see them going up slowly so I must be improving and that's what counts.
Thanks to many in here for valuable advice although I don't ost often I do read the forum a lot.

Derethim #13 Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17107 battles

View PostSolstad1069, on 15 March 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

Your goal should be to grind your way to several tier 5 and 6 tanks. Both different tank types and from different nations.

Build the crew and get experience. Then you decide what tanks are worth grinding further up. 

Low to mid tier grinding is quick, but high tier grinding is much harder.

There is no point moving up the tiers if you cant do damage in the mid tiers. 

This.

You should focus on getting 2-3 tier V tanks to grind credits in. I recommend a derp medium (M4, Sherman III, PZ IV H or G1R) a heavy (KV-1 or O-I exp. is your best bet) and a nooby td (T67 is the best atm).

Learn the game, earn a lot of credits - like 2-5 mil and then try grinding IS-3.

Bordhaw #14 Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10825 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 15 March 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

The premium buy is usually for the free XP which i love to see rack up,  although I do admit I have gone way, way overboard, so much so that I should be keel hauled:trollface:

Just make sure you use that free XP to unlock modules for your new tanks and not unlock tanks with it so you can try and avoid playing stock.  

RamRaid90 #15 Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20549 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostEVILpanzer, on 11 August 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

And finally do yourself a favour and stay away from the Type 4 heavy. This tank sucks beyond anything I've ever played, slow, spotted outside of renderrange, long reload means if you are alone you are dead, armour doesn't work due to goldspam... I could go on...

Anyway have a nice life. I wish you all the best.

No it isn't, nothing is. Fact.

EVILpanzer #16 Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16301 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 11 August 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

No I know. Just feels like that with japs heavys

JocMeister #17 Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21748 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostNoobySkooby, on 15 March 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

You shouldn´t grind anything.

You should play something decent and easy to play at a lower tier and at least TRY to learn something. You have played over 10k battles and you havn´t improved one bit since your very first battle. I have no idea how that is possible but somehow it is. I honestly don´t understand how it is possible to play as badly as you do and not actively try to play badly and sabotage for the team.. But from your forum post I reckon you are already aware of that fact so I will leave it at that.

Suggestion:

-Take your best Soviet crew and put it in the T-34-85M. That´s the best T6 MT in the game. Play that until you can reliably do your own HP in damage and around 50% WR. If that fails try the tier 5 T-34.

- Do the same for the OI/OI-Exp.

When you can do that in those 2 tanks you can start thinking about going up one tier. You need to start doing something else than what you are doing. I also suggest watching some guides on YT. There are several which will teach you the basics of the game. You could also upload some replays and share them on the forum. Lots of people here that might give you help and advice. 

Enforcer1975 #18 Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20465 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDava_117, on 15 March 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

The BL-9 is one of the worst gun I played. Fully aimed it miss a lot or tend to hit exactly where it can't pen. Snapshotting is the same, but at least you can expect it.

Really KV-2 derp feel more accurate!

18k games and you still aim in russian tanks? 

Nishi_Kinuyo #19 Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7455 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostRamRaid90, on 11 August 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

I think he's just over-exaggerating how poor its camo is.

Like people saying how the Izumo (IJN BB in WoWS) is spotted from orbit.

But yes, I'm inclined to agree with Derethim in that the OP is better served playing more tier 5-6 tanks and trying to get better overall rather than trying to get to that shiny tier 8/9/10 tank.

And yes, that specifically means aiming and hitting the enemy. Penetrating isn't always as easy.

Example: in his Caernarvon he fires on average some 5,86 shots per battle, which for a 32-pounder is rather on the low side, I reckon. (Or is OP using the 17-pdr?)

Out of those 5,86 shots, only 3,04 find their target (51,88%), and of that only 1,72 actually manage to penetrate (29,35%).

So if OP could double the amount of shots per battle (that are aimed at an enemy), then that would go a long way towards improvement.

If I were to compare that to my Churchill VII (closest tank I got to his Caernarvon), then one would find that I, on average, fire 11,79 shots per battle.

And out of those 9,43 shots hit an enemy (80%), while only 7,57 shots actually manage to penetrate.

In terms of getting hit and blocking shots, his Caernarvon and my Churchill VII are about even. So his survival rate of... 6%... would most likely mean poor positioning.

Also, if OP is using a trackpad on a laptop, then I would strongly advice to invest into a mouse; even a €8 office mouse is more than sufficient (no need for a fancy gaming mouse).

Another thing to consider is how skilled the crew is; at tier 6 and above I'd strongly suggest moving a pre-existing crew of 90-100% to the next vehicle and retraining them using credits; a 75% crew or below at higher tier vehicles are just bad for gameplay. If you need the credits, then as suggested; play more tier 5&6 tanks.

Cannes76 #20 Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64433 battles
  • [3V] 3V
Don't grind. Just do the number of daily doubles you are comfortable with on a varied selection of tank lines and it will develop on its own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users