Was there any hope?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

BP_OMowe #1 Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24764 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
It's been suggested that there really wasn't anything to be done to save this battle, but a second opinion is always good to get.:
http://wotreplays.eu..._omowe-t-34-85m

SnowRelic #2 Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22820 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Took a sneak peek at the team results first. Noticed you were top on damage, yet three enemies did more damage than you. The top five enemies dealt more damage than number two on damage on your team. In order to save the battle, you would have to do a lot to compensate for your weaker team. I haven't done the exact maths, but I'd guess you would need to dish out way more than 3K damage to win that game. So I'd file it under highly improbable, rather than impossible.

As for the battle itself. Ensk, regular game, north spawn. Tier 6 & 7 tanks, BP_OMowe driving a T-34-85M.

Right at the start of the battle, it seems like you're undecided. At first you wait a bit, then slowly move up to the buildings around D4, hanging out around C4. This could have been done different. Had you committed to getting into C4 asap you can get early damage while the reds are deploying. It could have had the additional benefit that some enemies would have wanted to engage you, rather than pushing on the west flank. Which means your mates on the west flank could have had the greater number of guns there. That could have allowed them to get destroyed slower and deal more damage.

Your active participation in the match is limited to flanking the enemies; shooting at them from the railroads (E6/F6). The first target you engaged was the Hellcat. I'd have to rewatch to double-check, but I think you weren't spotted at first. You might have reloaded HE. Most Soviet 85mm guns have insane HE damage. The AP does 180 average damage, the HE 300. That makes the Kitty a two-shot. And if you need to shoot less often, you expose yourself less often and keep all those precious hit points to yourself. What I disliked about your flanking shots is that you did nothing to safeguard your tank. The Kitty's retaliation shot hit your side. You could have done a bit more wall-hugging and turning your front towards the M18.

While your position allowed you to open up a crossfire on the advancing enemies, you were easily shot by the base camping ARL. Your decision to charge the ARL threw away your tank. I can understand you preferred to take your chances with a single TD rather than a full frontal engagement with the whole of the west flank, but a far better option would have been to disengage entirely. The east flank held up a bit better than the west flank and with your support you might have won that flank and from there your team could have staked a claim on victory.

My main gripe with your railway manoeuvre is that you were alone (and isolated) and you far outstayed your welcome. Don't forget that as you hang around that place and focus your attention on the west, there are still other enemies out there who want to get their share of damage.

But even if you had done things better, it wouldn't be any guarantee. You'd have to watch Eurovision to see something more terrible than your team.

BP_OMowe #3 Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24764 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
thanks a lot for the thoroughly typed out analysis, much appreciated!

Desyatnik_Pansy #4 Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Bartender

• Player
  • 15542 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Think about that result and then think about how I've seen a "similar" sort of result with an 85M Doing 4k damage and still not winning. Though truth be told, as I have mentioned that battle before on the forums and someone might remember, I felt that guy didn't play smartly and mostly got away with it by being in the 85M. In the first few minutes of the game he had already thrown away half his health without doing much in return. I didn't watch the replay and while Snow's analysis gives me a bit of an idea of how the game went, I'd have to watch it to come up with anything to say myself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users