Regarding the Strv 81 Primo Victoria

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

CircleOfSorrow #1 Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28819 battles

I have a for a short while thought that the next time the Strv 81 was on sale I would buy that and the m/42-57 and just use the crew in both without bothering with the tech tree vehicles.  The day has come that I can do this, but I checked the armour values on tanks.gg, and I'm not really impressed.  The turret values are not consistent, the prem rounds from the same tank seem to be able to pen it quite well even when looking up at it, and the standard rounds seem to have an ok chance to do so as well.  It goes without saying that the hull armour is cheese, especially at tier 8, and without cover this tank is dead.

Questions;

1. Does the turret armour perform well in practice?  My TD's that see it don't seem to have any issue with it, but anything else seems to bounce without using decent prem rounds.

2. Can using a T29 playstyle pay off in this tank?  I go from cover to cover blasting tanks, and that has yielded a 60% WR for me.  Do you think this will transfer?

3. Is the m/42-57 a good little support tank when fully loaded with prem?  I imagine I will hang in close behind first lines and take opportunities to unload clips in engaged opponents, unless top tier.

4. Is the leo a decent tank if I choose to take on the line?  What is with the top gun on it?!  The gun before seems to be a lot better.

5. Any word of the medium line extending to tier x some day?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by CircleOfSorrow, 16 March 2018 - 02:20 PM.

Dava_117 #2 Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18519 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
Sorry, brainfarted and read S1... don't know about PVictoria... :)

Edited by Dava_117, 16 March 2018 - 02:32 PM.

Simeon85 #3 Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 16 March 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

I have a for a short while thought that the next time the Strv 81 was on sale I would buy that and the m/42-57 and just use the crew in both without bothering with the tech tree vehicles.  The day has come that I can do this, but I checked the armour values on tanks.gg, and I'm not really impressed.  The turret values are not consistent, the prem rounds from the same tank seem to be able to pen it quite well even when looking up at it, and the standard rounds seem to have an ok chance to do so as well.  It goes without saying that the hull armour is cheese, especially at tier 8, and without cover this tank is dead.

Questions;

1. Does the turret armour perform well in practice?  My TD's that see it don't seem to have any issue with it, but anything else seems to bounce without using decent prem rounds.

2. Can using a T29 playstyle pay off in this tank?  I go from cover to cover blasting tanks, and that has yielded a 60% WR for me.  Do you think this will transfer?

3. Is the m/42-57 a good little support tank when fully loaded with prem?  I imagine I will hang in close behind first lines and take opportunities to unload clips in engaged opponents, unless top tier.

4. Is the leo a decent tank if I choose to take on the line?  What is with the top gun on it?!  The gun before seems to be a lot better.

Thanks for your time.

1. Yes, pretty much as well as the Patriot turret, obviously don't sit there giving easy shots to like tier 10 TDs, but stuff sub 250 pen is going to struggle. The mantlet is 235, so the odd thing will pen through that, but at the same time it overlaps with the turret front so some places of the mantlet are like 400 effective. 

2. Turret is less strong than the T29, T29 is one of the tier for tier strongest heavies in the game, plus it hits harder at 320 whereas you are only hitting for 230. But remember the Primo is a medium, it goes 50 kph, gun handling is ok, it has good view range and will have ok camo with good crew skills so can do other things bar just working ridges hull down. 

3. It's a good support tank full stop as there are not many auto-loaders like it at it's tier and 600 damage potential in 6s is very powerful. You have 148mm standard pen which is generally enough for what you face. Only issue is many tanks on tier 5-7 have short reloads so you often take 1/2 shots from many guns, so it's not the same as higher tier autolaoders that can often clip out whilst other tanks are reloading, in those 6s a Cromwell is going to shoot you at least twice. 

4. Only ever played it on test server, skipped it live, tier 7 mediums are not very strong and the Leo seemed about average to me. The big gun is super derpy, the smaller gun makes the tank play like a Comet IMO.

5. Apparently there is going to be higher tier mediums, but probably not until next year, I believe it's Italian and Polish trees this year. 

Coldspell #4 Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18708 battles
1. 5k blocked vs tier 10 guns on more than one occasion, it's better if you are above them.

2. Probably not but you can be more aggressive also one of the key things with the primo's turret is that it's pretty small so exposing only it will not only increase bounces the enemy will also miss you more often.

Edited by Coldspell, 16 March 2018 - 03:14 PM.

D4wiD3K #5 Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

The turret is actually very good. It's not invulnerable but it's trollish even against tier 10 guns with 250+ penetration. Even the tier 10 mediums with like 260-270 APCR penetration will only penetrate the turret face 50-65% of the time(assuming they always hit the right areas) which I think is more than enough for a tier 8 medium. 250 pen guns like IS-7 or 113 already struggle pretty badly against it which I think is a really good outcome for a tier 8 medium with -10 gun depression. It's also superb against tier 8 tanks like IS-3 that need substantial highrolls to pen it anywhere barring the tiny cupola that nobody in practice ever hits.

The effective traverse is worse than that of Centurion I but it accelerates slightly better due to the better engine. The Primo also gets slightly worse effective penetration because the standard round is APCR. On the other hand it gets extremely good 1300m/s standard shell velocity which is far more valuable than the few points of penetration that you lose.

400m view range, very good base accuracy, decent aiming time, -10 gun depression. Enough staying power to be workable even with bad alpha and bad DPM. Good mobility, great shell speed... I might be interested in this tank if it had decent stabilization and if I cared about mediums at all anymore. Unfortunately these boxes don't tick. I have no interest in medium tanks anymore, especially ones that that don't hit snap shots. But that aside it looks to me to be a solid tier 8 premium, a more mediumish version of the Patriot.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 16 March 2018 - 03:20 PM.

NoobySkooby #6 Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10748 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
Hhmmm I read on the in game vehicles forum concerning this Primo Victoria and the overall felling I took away is that it was pretty crap, not sure whether to buy it or not, what advantages does it have over the F4202?

D4wiD3K #7 Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 16 March 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

Hhmmm I read on the in game vehicles forum concerning this Primo Victoria and the overall felling I took away is that it was pretty crap, not sure whether to buy it or not, what advantages does it have over the F4202?

Better everything except hull armor.

FluffyRedFox #8 Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

General

• Player
  • 22556 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 16 March 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

I've recently played through the Cent 1, so while I don't have the strv 81, I think I can speak for it :^)

1) Depends. When you're facing tanks with ~260 pen, I wouldn't rely on the turret at all. This means that for tier 8 and 9 games, the turret is generally solid but against tier X you've gotta play a lot more carefully.

2) I wouldn't say so. With T29, you can get away with showing a bit of hull as its still relatively decent against most same-tier opponents. However, Primo has a reaaaaaaallly shitty hull that is paper against most enemies, even when using gun depression (at about 160 effective). You can't really blast people either due to only having 230 alpha so you'll have to expose yourself more. In addition, due to the poor DPM people can rush you if you take an aggressive position, which people are less inclined to do when its a T29 they're facing.

3) I don't think its not too neccesary to have full prem in the 42/57, I have 2 gold clips in it and I don't find myself using them too often unless I'm trying to shoot sides of defenders or vk100ps for instance. Its a nice little support tank, and the clip alpha gives it some kind of worth in tier 8 games.

4) and 5) I have no clue on :v

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users