23 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18592 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Hi guys, 

The Short

Long weekend coming and maybe I might have time and interest to grind out one of these tanks. The question is this, both these tanks have the same 268pen(lol) 390 alpha L7A1 cannon but not the same gun stats or handling other than the pen, alpha and velocity. My question in short is this, given the maps we play on, most of which are city and small maps where sniping and camo isn't really of much use, which of these tanks is better as an overall package? Just how capable a tank is the Centurion 7/1? Is it one of the best mediums in the game and tank that can hold its own, have workable turret armor and carry battles?

Longer version

Leopard PT A has been sitting in my garage for months now, totally stock, excellent crew but never used once. Why? simple, the grind is horrendously long to get a fully upgraded version of this tank and its stats really suffer without each and every module. It really needs the top gun, but it also really needs the top turret or the top gun is really useless without. It needs the tracks to make having both the top gun and turret beneficial to carry 3 really important equipment. Even with all that, the tank reads a total slug without the massive jump the top engine will give it and transform it into a really mobile tank that can zip around the map, remain hidden, spot enemies and snipe or have the power and accuracy to reliably snap shot and zip back behind cover. So you see, it really needs ALL its modules or else it suffers greatly... is this something I want to go through for a tank that's ultimately made of wet tissue paper and will get wreck by a Type5 with just 1 shot or anyone with a big alpha HE, SPG guns etc? I also have a AMX 30 fully upgraded and so, I kinda already have the paper tier9 medium even though guns are very different in attributes and the playstyle and ranges those gun stats would suggest. This is why I'm grinding the Centurion 7/1. I am about half way through the Comet grind and I am hoping that with the Centurion 7/1, I will finally have the tier9 medium I was looking for all along, something that can snipe on maps that allow that, support well, have really good standard pen to keep running costs down a bit and also have at least a turret and some workable armor to make it a less punished medium tank on city and small maps. Is this that tank?

Long_Range_Sniper #2 Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29433 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Go for the 7/1. It's a more capable tank in comparison, and with the turret at least stands a chance to work ridges and depressions better.

Saying that, the Leo PTA does lead to the Leo 1 which is a balanced tank for tier X according to WG.......:trollface:

Simeon85 #3 Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

I'd say neither tank is stellar they are both ok, much better tier 9 mediums about. (E50, Patton, AMX 30, T-54)

However I would say in the current meta the Cent AX is a lot better to get than the Leopard 1 because it has some usable armour, whilst having better DPM, similar gun handling and is almost as mobile. Everything a Leo can do, the Cent AX can do to about 90-95% but the Leo can't do what the Cent AX is able to do. 

Probably the same could be said of the Cent 7/1 over the PTA, but the PTA has a 330 pen HEAT round and the Cent 7/1 does not, which in the super heavy meta is a big weakness so I'd say they are on par. Basically turret/upper hull armour vs mobility and HEAT round. 

Also the 20 lber is a better stock gun than the Indien's gun. 

Baldrickk #4 Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29023 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
The first upgrade you should go for on the PTA is the turret.
The stock gun works much better with it.
You will need to purchase the suspension module if you don't Have enough free XP to get the turret and the tracks.

The grind isn't that bad once you have the turret. It upgrades practically every soft stat of the gun significantly.

The stock gun is pretty equivalent to the 20pdr on the Cent 7/1.
The grinds of both are pretty similar, just that one trades mobility for some armour.

I prefer the mid-range hulldown gameplay, so personally I prefer the Cent over the Leo.

Cobra6 #5 Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Leopard PTA is a lot of fun but you really are screwed on city maps as you have no armour. My overall stats in it are garbage because I ground it from stock as an experiment (never to be repeated again) but my recents in it after not having touched it for 2 years or so were good.

Cent 7/1 I don't know, certainly not with the recent speed buffs, it's probably a better all-rounder though.

Cobra 6

doriansky1 #6 Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24684 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3
Centurion 7/1 because 1: it leads to a better tank 2: has turret armor and good gun depression 3: HESH

spuriousmonkey #7 Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:12 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42855 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

PTA is great.

Centurion isn't.

ares354 #8 Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 72382 battles
Leo PTA with flatter 1.0 maps may be better, but Centurion X is better tier X. 7\1 force try-hards to used gold ammo on turret. 7\1 will bully tier 7 and 8 way harded then PTA can. 

268 mm pen is more then you need on tier 9 MT if you are any good. Guns are good but soft sats are WG joke, on both. 

The_Georgian_One #9 Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33718 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
I have both, both are fun to play. You can't go wrong with either, question is which playstyle you prefer.

Also, there is no doubt Cent leads to better tier 10.

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18592 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 16 March 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

I have both, both are fun to play. You can't go wrong with either, question is which playstyle you prefer.

Also, there is no doubt Cent leads to better tier 10.

What is the difference between their playstyle? What can a Cent do that a PTA cant and visa versa, what are these tanks "comfort zones" and most effective? This would ultimately sway my interest in one or the other. I was leaning towards Cent since it has superior gun dep and turret armor that I THINK, would make it a more efficient tank at poking ridges on hilly maps and ruble piles and windows etc on city maps where a PTA with its weak turret would realistically eat every shot in same situation while also the added downside of 2 deg less gun dep... but what is envisaged with their stats and what is actually how they perform in battle are two very different things, so I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on how both these tanks perform in battle. I did notice also that Cent aims .2 slower. This seems small but might actually be a big deal with both tanks having pretty iffy soft stat dispersion values. When a gun aims faster, it negates a lot of that as its not allowing its aiming circle to bloom as much as constantly reeling itself in that bit quicker than a slower aiming gun thus forgiving some of those "what the f*** was that?!" moments lol... again, this would be for a player with experience of both to know and comment on. :) Bottom line is this, both are very xp demanding grinds and I am looking for the more universally capable tank, the one which is most acceptable when all maps are considered as an average and if one has some points that make it critically flawed, what are those flaws?

German_Dunc #11 Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35641 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

HESH.

HESH for the HESH God! 

All is HESH and HESH is all.

Baldrickk #12 Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29023 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 16 March 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

What is the difference between their playstyle? What can a Cent do that a PTA cant and visa versa, what are these tanks "comfort zones" and most effective? This would ultimately sway my interest in one or the other. I was leaning towards Cent since it has superior gun dep and turret armor that I THINK, would make it a more efficient tank at poking ridges on hilly maps and ruble piles and windows etc on city maps where a PTA with its weak turret would realistically eat every shot in same situation while also the added downside of 2 deg less gun dep... but what is envisaged with their stats and what is actually how they perform in battle are two very different things, so I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on how both these tanks perform in battle. I did notice also that Cent aims .2 slower. This seems small but might actually be a big deal with both tanks having pretty iffy soft stat dispersion values. When a gun aims faster, it negates a lot of that as its not allowing its aiming circle to bloom as much as constantly reeling itself in that bit quicker than a slower aiming gun thus forgiving some of those "what the f*** was that?!" moments lol... again, this would be for a player with experience of both to know and comment on. :) Bottom line is this, both are very xp demanding grinds and I am looking for the more universally capable tank, the one which is most acceptable when all maps are considered as an average and if one has some points that make it critically flawed, what are those flaws?

https://tanks.gg/com...?t=centurion-71

As I said before, and as you have kinda figured out, the PTA is the mobile support tank (sniper/flanker) and the Cent is the mid-range hulldown fighter.

They can fulfil each other's roles to a good degree, but that's the main difference.

spuriousmonkey #13 Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42855 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostGerman_Dunc, on 17 March 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

HESH.

HESH for the HESH God! 

All is HESH and HESH is all.

HESH has autoseeker for tracks and armor. Especially on the derpy centurion gun.

Poerhis #14 Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16627 battles
  • [SIKA] SIKA

I love them both. The PTA is my only tank with three gun marks, so I might be a bit biased towards it.

The PTA works best as a mobile support vehicle (NOT LONG RANGE SNIPER), but it requires a good camo crew. It has decent dpm, good mobility top speed wise and the HEAT round deals well with superheavies.

The Cent 7/1 on the other hand is amazingly well rounded. You can reliably go hull down, the mobility is awesome due to great acceleration and there's not much to complain about the gun. Only dpm sucks about the tank.

Both tier X tanks are crap. Both lines are at their best at tier IX.

The_Georgian_One #15 Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33718 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN
The guys above summarized it well, bit here's my take on the differerence in playstyle...

I play them both very agressively, but it means differerent thing for both tanks. In Cent it is going to a good hull-down position and bully-ing tanks that you can easily pen while snapping.

In PTA if often follow heavies on a map like Ensk and use them as my armor while taking opporrunist shots. PTA seems to me better at snapping shots, 7/1 is way better hull-down and is easier to bully lower tiers in it.

In PTA tier 7 lights will YOLO you, cause they have no respect, not happening that often in Cent.

Oh and HESH, albeit fun, is highly unreliable.

German_Dunc #16 Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35641 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 17 March 2018 - 07:12 AM, said:

HESH has autoseeker for tracks and armor. Especially on the derpy centurion gun.

Brother, it appears you may not have been praying hard enough to the HESH God, or smearing yourself in the correct unguents.

HESH is only problematic if you don't have time to aim and choose your shot, and if you haven't got that then you're probably in the wrong place for a Centurion to start with.

Granted, you do get some spazzy behaviour sometimes, but the trade off is walloping Batchats and whatnot for 560 and wrecking modules and crew. 2.5k games in the 7/1, and I'm still not bored of it

Edited by German_Dunc, 17 March 2018 - 08:22 AM.

Pandabird #17 Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

I preferred the pta.

Late game it can dictate engagement range and relocate far easier than the cent can.

That being said, leopard 1 sucks.

Fv4202 was god with 200 pen hesh, cent is just meh

Edited by Pandabird, 17 March 2018 - 08:36 AM.

Kooallu #18 Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40740 battles
go for Cent AX because good mobility, speed, HESH and  turret armor.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #19 Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26586 battles
Cent 7/1 is one of the few tanks I liberally sprinkle gold with. 210pen HESH works well on a lot of stuff and you've 268 standard for anything that needs it.

German_Dunc #20 Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35641 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostKooallu, on 17 March 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

go for Cent AX because good mobility, speed, HESH and  turret armor.

I'm usually disappointed whenever I play the AX - the gun trolls more than the 7/1s (or indeed any of the other L7A1 tanks like the Patton or Leo).

Turret armour kinda works, but point blank meta we have at the moment makes it irrelevant 75% of the time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users