Can't play in Full screen Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Archaean #1 Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15123 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

Well, as I've written it in the title. I can't play the game in Full screen Mode. But let's go a bit further into detail:

The game starts and it's also running but if it's set up to full screen mode Windows can't "get grip" the WoT window. Every time I click on the WoT symbol it just minimizes. The same thing happens if I start the game in safe mode, as the graphic settings it uses are still my own. It does work if I start the game without any graphic settings. This means WoT will be started in window mode with a resolution of 1024x768. Afterwards I can set it up to Borderless window mode with highest resolution and it WORKS but if I try to change it to full screen mode it won't grip WoT window anymore.

I don't have any mods installed.

Edit:

I've added a small video clip where I showcase the issue. 

Any bright ideas or suggestions for me?

Edited by Archaean, 21 March 2018 - 09:33 AM.

DaddysLittlePrincess #2 Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:28 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24386 battles
If you haven't tried it yet, remove all files from "%AppData%\Wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks". You can start with removing preferences.xml file first. This file was causing weird minimizing issues for me. You might want to backup the file first, as you'll lose all your settings when you remove it.

Archaean #3 Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15123 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostDaddysLittlePrincess, on 21 March 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

If you haven't tried it yet, remove all files from "%AppData%\Wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks". You can start with removing preferences.xml file first. This file was causing weird minimizing issues for me. You might want to backup the file first, as you'll lose all your settings when you remove it.

Already done so. If I remove the WorldOfTanks folder all settings - every one of them - will be removed and the game starts in full screen mode (apparently) and my Windows can't "grip" on to the World of tanks client.

Spoiler

This is how it looks when I do it the way suggested. the BackUP folder is the whole WorldOfTanks folder I just renamed. when I start World of Tanks it starts normally in fullscreen mode. You can see that the client is there in my tool bar but sadly I can't change to that window.

But if I decide to launch the game without any game settings:

Spoiler

I will see this:

Spoiler

As it is in window mode I can interact with it and also log in. After I logged in I can change the settings to Windowed with maximum resolution and it still works:

Spoiler

But if I change to full screen mode I get the same problem again.

Sadly it didn't help. Thanks for the effort @DaddysLittlePrincess, I really appreciate it.

Edited by Archaean, 21 March 2018 - 07:45 AM.

Aikl #4 Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25262 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Not entirely sure what your issue is, but Wargaming mentioned Skype calls being a problem for keeping the game full-screen. If you don't run Skype (or any of the Windows widgets/apps, like a desktop notebook), my bet would be on some type of overlay software. Nvidia and Windows 10 comes with a game recorder, and Steam really wants to run in the background as well. Known to cause some issues.

Oh, and I'm guessing the 'Alt+Enter' (for fullscreen) shortcut doesn't fix the game either?

Edit: Also, if you have some type of color correction software (not uncommon), disable that as well. Doubt it's the culprit, but ideally you want to quit everything you don't deem essential. Also, send in a ticket ASAP with a 'wgcheck' report before everyone and their mom starts complaining about stuff (if it even works with 1.0).

https://eu.wargaming...ot/articles/65/

Edited by Aikl, 21 March 2018 - 08:42 AM.

Archaean #5 Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15123 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostAikl, on 21 March 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

Not entirely sure what your issue is, but Wargaming mentioned Skype calls being a problem for keeping the game full-screen. If you don't run Skype (or any of the Windows widgets/apps, like a desktop notebook), my bet would be on some type of overlay software. Nvidia and Windows 10 comes with a game recorder, and Steam really wants to run in the background as well. Known to cause some issues.

Oh, and I'm guessing the 'Alt+Enter' (for fullscreen) shortcut doesn't fix the game either?

Edit: Also, if you have some type of color correction software (not uncommon), disable that as well. Doubt it's the culprit, but ideally you want to quit everything you don't deem essential. Also, send in a ticket ASAP with a 'wgcheck' report before everyone and their mom starts complaining about stuff (if it even works with 1.0).

https://eu.wargaming...ot/articles/65/

Hi Aikl

First thanks for all your suggestions. I just tried them out and sadly my issue persists. I've also sent a ticket to wargaming support with a WG_report file (yes, it's compatible with 1.0) at the same time as I've opened this thread. I don't really want to rely solely on Wargaming Support that's why I've started this thread. Maybe a community member will be able to point me in the right direction.

Anyway, I will try to clarify my issue, even though it's not the easiest way to do so:

The World of Tanks client starts normally, there is no issue with the process running but if I try to switch to the WoT Window (see first picture in my second post) and click on it, the screen goes black for a second, as if it wants to maximize the WoT window and then simply throws me back to the desktop. This issue persists only if I set Windows Mode to "Fullscreen" as shown before (last picture second post) if I set up World of Tanks in Borderless Window Mode it actually works but I'd really love to play it in Fullscreen mode.

I hope this clarifies things a bit more. If it doesn't, I will record what happens and just upload it to youtube.

krismorgan #6 Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 31844 battles
  • [UKT] UKT

you have my sympathy.did you sort it out?

ulf5155 #7 Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 24006 battles
  • [666TH] 666TH
I am having the same problem as you and can not fix it at all

PervyPastryPuffer #8 Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30566 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

WoT's graphic settings' stability is the worst I've encountered in any game...

1. 50% of the time, even though I had the game set to fullscreen when I last logged out, it will start windowed.
  2. The display refresh rate setting has absolutely no effect on the refresh rate with VSync enabled.
  3. The game won't let me adjust gamma brightness because I'm not using the native resolution of 1920x1200... but I can't use that res, it's not even my screen's native res, I can only go up to 1920x1080. The game thinks my screen is bigger for some reason.

r0f #9 Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6133 battles
  • [AFUNM] AFUNM

Your video shows Windows 10 (good), disable the Windows 10 game-bar (not that good in combination with some drivers / card) and try again?

Another check would be any OSD overlay you might have running for voice-chat or gaming-software, for example if you use something like afterburner and its riva server or comparable (mostly the same program with a different front-ends for different gaming brands) try to disable any overlays running (add WoT to exclusions). Same goes for stuff like logitech / razor gaming software, see if you use any OSD for that stuff and try to exclude WoT for one run or just disable it completely for one run.

More random guesses; try to force WoT to start as admin. Run it in compatibility mode, could even try the problem solver wizard once (just to check what the **** is going on ;)).

More weirder and deeper checks:

Reset any video-card profile available for WoT in your GPU settings outside of WoT.

Remove any custom downloaded video card driver and use the compatibility-checked one from windows update only (that is, any one available from windows update for your card), instead of downloading it from the manufacturer website.

Reinstall DX9.

Run a SFC to check your Windows 10 integrity.

Reset Windows 10 but keep your programs and files.

Well you know what comes after that :trollface:

------

Might just be that windows game bar xbox port stuff though, might be worth a check. :)

Edited by r0f, 09 July 2018 - 05:09 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users