A new try: WoT 1.0

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

HundeWurst #1 Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 70100 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

So you might have seen my first topic about Stepps the other day, which was made in pure disgust and rage. This time I hope a bit higher quality feedback. Why am I doing this? I really dont know. I am 100% certain WG will just completly ignore this thread and the hopefully upcoming discussions anyway. Still here we go.

So what is there to say about 1.0... AH yeah! The graphics! And they are truely much better. I even gained fps while my quality also rose. However the engine update and the graphics where somewhat to obviously be expected. I leave the exact judgement of the quality of the new graphics to the people out there with high end gear. It would be unfair to judge them based by my potato of a PC.

This, however, also brings me to the second point: The optimisation of the game/new egnine/graphics is VERY WELL DONE. That is something most newer games dont care the slightest about. Ofc WG had to take care of that due to the fact that the by far largest group of players is located in Russia and former CCCP countries. Players there might not always have as easy of an access to state of the art hardware as more western countries have.

Still my potato of a PC can handle the game very well. I has a singnificant graphics update and even gained some FPS, or at the least have a way more stable number of FPS.

Now to the big BUT. And let me tell you there is a big But.

As the yesterdays twitch promotion obviously has shown, and many me included have said before, the graphics update is there to attract new players then make old players come back or make current players stay longer. New graphics arrived, however all the minor and major problems stayed, even got worse.

There is obviously no point talking about balance or mechanics, or even matchmaking here as this was not part of this patch. While they are all over the place lets talk about maps or mapdesign here:

And oh boy things got worse (OK in all fairness, not everything got worse, but still so much could have been done with even minor adjustments, still it did not happen. Many things stayed as they always have been (which as implied before is really sad for such a big patch) some things got changed, and almost all changed things got worse.... Think about it, a huge update making the gameplay worse in favor for some flashy graphics?

However to go into detail I will list all the current maps in the rotation and give my personal opinion about them. I would also like to hear yours obviously:

Abbey

One of the oldest corridor maps the game has ever seen. While I dislike the map a lot I was always semi OK with it since it had been there since the dawn of time. Some corridor maps in the rotation dont hurt, they actually enhance the diversity.

The rework took away most of the positions tanks with little armor were able to use before. Now this map ONLY evolves around heavy armor. Everything else is royaly screwed. Some hulldown positions got taken out, some seaky positions vanished. If you spawn on this map with something lightly armored you can as well quit the battle during the countdown. There is nothing you can do to influence the outcome of the battle. YOu have to pray to RNGJesus (at least we are already in a monastary for that purpose) that you heavy tanks will outtrade the enemy heavies.

The little finess this map had is gone. These days its the quivalent of to people trying to smash their heads in with prehistoric clubs. No finess, no fighting skills, just stupid smashing.

Paris

As far as I can tell hardly anything changed, all the old complaints about this map are still very much valid. Only heavies or heavy armor decides who is going to win. There is a 200X200 meters area on the map 80% of all battles are decided. We all know the same old song. Not much more to be said. Well why did Stalingrad left the game but this *edited* is still in it? Makes no sense. And to quote Circon here: "WG is just to *edited* to remove this map since its one of the more recent ones."

Mines

Mines oh Mines.... Why are you still there to be played for tanks higher that tier 6? What is the point!? The rework did not change ANYTHING at best. There is still the one location which completly and utterly dominates the entire map. Whoever controls that wins the game. Much weow very fun. And to top that all off the northern spawn as an advantage getting to the hill. Well done. No fix to problems adressed. Still a trash map and even worse for higher tiers.

Cliff

"Attack of the redline positions" should be the title of the new map. Boosting allowed players to reach a certain area from the nothern spawn. That area effectively locked down the entire map. Then the spot got finally removed (boosting opportunity got removed), but WG felt like dark magic and necromancy is just their thing. They resurrected the spot, but you know what? Where is the fun of that when you can not also multiply these spots. Now the southern spawn got one of these stupid spots as well.

I already was allowed to witness this great map design once. I spawned north, a friendly Obj. 268 drove up there. We lost the game super hard. However I somehow managed to survive the total chaos in the middle with my totally balanced Obj. 430U. Him being up there and me alive on decent hitpoints in the middle of the map allowed us to nearly with a 2vs8 situation. We lost in the end because I failed to kill someone, but the simple fact that we actually still had a shot at winning is mindboggling stupid. Without that position we would have gotten our faces smashed in like crazy. With it? Well good luck attack this. Its nearly impossible.

Murovanka

Ah yeah the map with a lot of potential. It got changed, bushes left the map, but overall the gameplay stayed the same. The map, I at least always felt like it, can have a lot of optential. Sadly WG turned the map into yet another close combat brawl. 75 percent of the maps are more or less no mans land, even though they dont even need to be exactly that. Also the map is biased towads the northern spawn still. The north can easily win the forrest side hence gainds control of the entire map. THe only thing the South has left to do is to camp. And oh boy that camp in unbreakable if done the right way.

Same old problems, nothing of importance was changed. A map with a lot of unused potential.

Malinovka

From what I can tell hardly anything changed. All the "old and nice flaws" are still there. Camping in certain areas is still totally OP, the south!?!? gets slightly faster to the hill - hence has a bit of an advantage. It could have been changed to the better with some adjustments, yet WG refused to do so. I am talking about the "magic forrrest camps" which could have been made a lot less effective. NOTE: Not useless but less effective.

Prokhorovka

Well not much changed, besides the middle being a bit flatter, hello RASHA tanks in middle. But I still like the map with no or little arty presence. With arty? Boy its hardly possible to play it.

Steppes

Well you might have seen my topic about it. I still wonder why they picked this map for a rework. I dont know anyone disliking the map in the old form for randoms!? I really dont. But hey we get a rework. Only one problem remains. The rework made the map worse. Who would have thought adding OP camping spots right next to the redline is a bad idea? I for one could have told them.... Like Brumbarr said in the other topic: Good positions should be fought for and not be reachable by driving 50 meters from the spawn just to camp there the entire game.

A good position should also just be good for a certain area of the map. It should have some counterposition. Non of that is true for the new camping spots of the southern flank. They are broken OP. A JPE100 can lock down the entire "medium" flank. Who comes up with this bullsheit design? Honestly who?

Sand River

As far as I can tell nothing much changed. Sadly WG missed the opportunity to get rid of some of the to powerfull camping positions for the eastern spawn. All in all nothing much has changed though. Not the best map, but neither the worst.

Himmelsdorf

Another rework with hardly any changes. Some gaps are gone, but thats about it. Sadly the hill is still heavily biased towards the southern spawn. Why not change that and get a fun and well balanced map?

Lakeville

The valley got flatter, now less gundepression is required to fight there. Not something I would complain about to be honest. Still the map could have been made so much better if i.e. the middle hill/mountain would have been reduced to some hilly terrain which can be used as well. I dont like the map but the map itself offers something for most classes and also seems to be balanced, so nothing bad to say.

Ruinberg

I was like. They changed things? Did they not? Well they did.... However these changes are just of cosmetic nature.... Turns out the map is still unbalanced as it always has been. The north still has a huge advantage. Nice rework comrade! DA! VODKA DA!

Ensk

I dont like the map. I personally feel like its to small for higher tiers. However the remake did not change anything gameplay wise. So its up to you to like it or not :) !

Live Oaks

Nice fix WG! DA DAWAI *edited* ! More vodka! One of the least balanced maps made it pretty much unchaned to the new version of WoT. What an utter fail. The south still dominates the railway side like no tomorrow. It is still a 60% wins south spawn map. What a rework.... Better keep the least balanced map like it is. Who cares that losing or winning is determined by the spawn and not the gameplay!? Honestly who cares?!

Siegfried Line

There are some changes. I tend to be alright with the map. I think its an alright map, the changes dont have that much of an impact. As said, I feel its alright as it is.

Mannerheim Line (former Arctic Region)

Well this map managed to get into the HD mappool for whatever reason as well... Like really. The map is so flawed, yet it managed to get into the new version with hardly any changed. Like really?

El Halluf

Well the main fighting area got some changes. I feel like for the better though. Still is it not sad that on a map the size of 1000X1000 meters an area of 200X200 or 300X300 meters decide the outcome of the battle in 90% of all cases? Why even add the other 90% of the map? I tend to enjoy the map, still in a way that mapdesign is stupid as well.

Airfield

I could not find any changes. I really started to hate this map, far before the HD maps arrived. I could make an entire own topic why I dislike the map and what kind of flaws it has, but for now I keep my mouth shut and let you decide.

Mountain Pass

With Abbey the other "good old" clubbing map. Be a heavy or GTFO. Lightly armored tanks are pretty much useless and screwed. Somehow it is still unchanged in the game. A stupid map all in all. Just mindless frontal clubbing.

Karelia

Nothing much got changed as far as I am able to tell. Well I cant stand the map in standard mode but love it as the assault version.

Redshire

No gameplaychanges either as far as I can tell. Some flaws made it right into the new version however. The two stupid camping areas are still right there. Also the southerns spawn seems to have an advantage on the map. Yet another map I could make an entire topic for it. It is not well done, thats for sure.

Fjords

Changed a lot. I have to played it enough, neither is there a meta already, time will tell. But I have a VERY BAD feeling about the map. It could turn into another *edited* in no time.

Tundra

Same like Mines. Mines is bad?! Yes! Tundra is the same if not worse. Stupid camping spots, one hill to dominate them all (the rest of the entire map). What a design, many WOWs!

Overlord

This map is in desperate need of a rework.... The absolutly stupid areas remain. The beach as the ultimate noobtrap, then these absolutly OP camping spots are still there. A total  *edited* of a map. Close to unplayable. Why is it still in the game!? Its just so dumb and stupid. Yet another map which could need its very own topic.

Serene Coast

I dont think I have even played this map in 1.0. So I cannot say much about it.

Erlenberg

WG are some funny jokers... Are they now? I mean you take a trash level map, then "improve" it. Turns out the new version of the map is even WORSE!?! Like how incompetent can you possibly be? Remove this shitstain of a map forever and ever.

Westfield

No changes as far as I can tell. Yet another map of the category: "A 200X200 meters area decides the outcome of 90% of all battles". Like it... Or dont. I am for once alright with it.

Fisherman's Bay

The entire middle got changed. I dont yet know whether is good or bad. I honestly enjoyed the new version more than the old one. Yet again, its hard to tell till a meta on the map is established. Time will tell, however I like the changes for now at least.

Nebelburg "Glacier"

Only played it once. So its hard to tell. However the map felt bigger compared to the other maps. Is the size bigger than the other maps? like 1.1km or even 1.2km?

So well what do I think!? WG polished the game with the new graphics. However a polished  *edited*is in the end still a *edited*. No problem has been solved, maps got overall worse by the looks of it. Balancing issues are still present left right and centre. Arty is still unchanged, gold ammo the required pay2win aspect.

PS: What always makes me wonder: On what base does WG decide which map will get changed? And even more so: How does the map get changed? How do they come up with that? I mean in the balancing department you could at least argue about statistics, but what kind of statistic reveals such things I might wonder. HEATMAPS for sure dont show anything of importance.

Edited by NickMustaine, 23 March 2018 - 01:26 PM.
Inappropriate language

jabster #2 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12555 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
Without trying to be rude why did you expect an update that was focused on the graphics engine would fix entirely unrelated issues?

alienslive #3 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 89089 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 22 March 2018 - 01:59 PM, said:

Fjords

Changed a lot. I have to played it enough, neither is there a meta already, time will tell. But I have a VERY BAD feeling about the map. It could turn into another *edited* in no time.

This map is 1 sided. West spawn team: RIP 

HundeWurst #4 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 70100 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

View Postjabster, on 22 March 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Without trying to be rude why did you expect an update that was focused on the graphics engine would fix entirely unrelated issues?

Well I did not. As I said in the beginning. But I guess it was not clear when I made that "final" statement.

djuro900 #5 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16826 battles

View Postjabster, on 22 March 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

Your statement would maybe make sense if they inly changed graphics but they also changed terrain and how maps play. So no its not unrelated issue

Edited by djuro900, 22 March 2018 - 03:26 PM.

IncandescentGerbil #6 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles

View Postjabster, on 22 March 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

With regard to map design though, this was tbe perfect opportunity. They actively changed things - and for the worse. Bizarre, but in character.

SABAOTH #7 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36802 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

The only map I really can't stand is Erlenberg, Paris a close second.

However I could probably tell you better when the people will wake up from the current confusion, right now is mostly lemming trains or red line base camping. Might be the reason why maps are so enjoyable atm, their true balance has yet to be revealed

Thejagdpanther #8 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34669 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

wunder, is ok for you to say that a good map is a map where you can fight in the most possible places and areas and also if you win in some of that areas the game is not an autowin?

just asking...

Edited by Thejagdpanther, 22 March 2018 - 03:43 PM.

jabster #9 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12555 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 22 March 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

With regard to map design though, this was tbe perfect opportunity. They actively changed things - and for the worse. Bizarre, but in character.

You’re perfectly correct to say it would have been but that’s not what v1.0 was about.

JCTagger #10 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13327 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Just entertaining a vague hope that some of the map re-works might encourage playerers to consider that every map has TWO damn flanks...

I'm not optimistic...:(

Simeon85 #11 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

The most disappointing thing is that many of these issues were raised on test, but WG ignored them. I can only presume they decided that once the maps were largely bug free they were going to hit their deadline of releasing 1.0 no matter what and they'd deal with gameplay issues later, hoping the shiney graphics would distract people. 

You can only hope that now it's out and they have more data, plus the map team are not spending all their time HDing maps, that fixes and re-works can happen a bit quicker because it's clear some need serious work.

It is also pretty appalling that previously identified imbalances in maps have not been fixed, even ones WG recognised themselves.  I'm pretty sure they have been talking about fixing the mid road on Lakeville for about 3 years, yet it gets replicated in HD.

Same with Sand River Assault, Ruinberg north spawn, Mines encounter, Live Oaks bridge side etc. 

IncandescentGerbil #12 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles
I was sitting in that new enclave on Ruinberg in my 430u, effectively locking down the field. Wall protects hull and is perfect height for Russian meds. Enemy Cent AX on opposite team let me shoot him a few times. Without moving his hull, he was looking straight at me whist shaking turret gently from side to side in a what have they done now manner. Funny and a bit sad.

CmdRatScabies #13 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37626 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postjabster, on 22 March 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

You’re perfectly correct to say it would have been but that’s not what v1.0 was about.

It may not be what 1.0 was "supposed" to be about, but they did change the maps and not in a trivial way and mostly for the worse.

L4NDe #14 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 46030 battles
  • [SPALE] SPALE
You can polish poop much as you want but it still smells like poop.

Edited by L4NDe, 22 March 2018 - 03:52 PM.

doriansky1 #15 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29716 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

View PostWunderWurst, on 22 March 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

Serene Coast

I dont think I have even played this map in 1.0. So I cannot say much about it.

Played 2 games on SereneCoast yesterday, had a bizzare impression that is better now , at least from a visual point of view (preety challenging to adapt, but i guess we'll all get used with the new look). Middle looks very different, plenty of new bushes there. Heavy area plays more or less the same. The corner where meds play (or should play?) seems flatter now, at least that was my impression. I peaked as usual and i was punched in the face by Strvs. Overall not a bad change, at least compared with Steppes/Erlenberg.

Regarding Erlenberg, maybe it's to soon to draw conclusions, but i still think it's ridiculously easy to defend (to be honest, played only 2 games in 1.0 on this map) . But I'm planning to enter this map with a friend, just to make sure i'm not retarded.

_EXODUZ_ #16 Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35102 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

WW, once again, you fail to realize that target audience doesn't notice these problems, they like to go vroom vroom and boom.

Good players, on the other hand, should adapt. Or should be smart enough to uninstall.

Really, how long can you bang your head on a wall with all these expectations about balance, MM and everything else...

Simeon85 #17 Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 22 March 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

WW, once again, you fail to realize that target audience doesn't notice these problems, they like to go vroom vroom and boom.

Good players, on the other hand, should adapt. Or should be smart enough to uninstall.

Really, how long can you bang your head on a wall with all these expectations about balance, MM and everything else...

You can 'vroom vroom, booom boom' on a balanced map, they wouldn't care either way, so it would make sense to please your customers that do care. 

spuriousmonkey #18 Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 44544 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postjabster, on 22 March 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

I thought it would be ok to expect improved map design if the 1.0 update is all about introducing HD maps. Maybe I am naive.

drasko111 #19 Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 28619 battles

Well, I mostly agree and i came back to the game less then a month ago and already hate it.

Developers, Programmers etc. whatever are supposed to be smart people no? Judging by the flaws of the game they sure as hell are the definition of "*edited*".

Paris, Ruinberg, Erlenberg HD are my top 3 in the category "How the [edited]can you keep *edited* like this in the game"

The game in general feels almost unplayable. 

My IS6 is nothing compared to the past and special mm is useless so no way to earn credits.

Got a little of topic there, I'm just a little frustrated and mind blown on how the game has gotten so bad and wondering how *edited*you must be to make so much mistakes and they just keep coming...ffs.

Will probably quit again in the next couple of days and so should you.

Edited by NickMustaine, 23 March 2018 - 01:34 PM.
Inappropriate language

L4NDe #20 Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 46030 battles
  • [SPALE] SPALE

Erlenberg

WG are some funny jokers... Are they now? I mean you take a trash level map, then "improve" it. Turns out the new version of the map is even WORSE!?! Like how incompetent can you possibly be? Remove this *edited* of a map forever and ever.

I just played this *edited*. WTF.......

I want what ever they are drinking

Edited by NickMustaine, 23 March 2018 - 01:35 PM.
Inappropriate language

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users