Commanders hatch

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

velvetcough #1 Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4666 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hi.  As stated, looking for opinions on this as I am thinking of it as a crew trainer for when I focus on the French heavy line more.  It looks ok on paper, but I seem to remember people saying the 60mm Commander's hatch was a deal-breaker, but didn't most tanks use to have such weakspots, and didn't folks have to learn to play around them..?

Or has it been out-paced by things, and is therefore no fun to play..?

I don't play that many heavies, or haven't so far at least, and in most of my tanks, sitting and trading shot for shot is not a wise thing, so there will be a be a whole load of new things to try (baiting shots etc), so is this tank a capable and/or enjoyable one..?

T(h)anks in advance.

SABAOTH #2 Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:53 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36437 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

Is autopen, at short distance is impossible to miss, but not as bad as on Mauerbrecher.

At mid to long is ok to me

NoobySkooby #3 Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10793 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

Looks ok, I have the Libertie version, or at least i think it is the same tank, and while I liked it at first, i am a bit underwhelmed by it now, maybe  need to take it out a little more often.

Trouble is I am a sucker for big silly things like the O Ho, and the Mauerbrecher, even getting to like the 400 Dpm of the t34 heavy ,but the tank I really love is the Skorpion G, paper armour but heaps of fun and 490 dpm, put that gun on any other heavy tank and there will be a nice cosy space in my garage for it.

Trostani #4 Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45171 battles
  • [TDSTX] TDSTX
I don't have it but I was really considering to buy it. Until I pen few times opponents hatch with HE shell. For HT front weakspot it's a joke...

SABAOTH #5 Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36437 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 23 March 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

Trouble is I am a sucker for big silly things like the O Ho, and the Mauerbrecher, even getting to like the 400 Dpm of the t34 heavy ,but the tank I really love is the Skorpion G, paper armour but heaps of fun and 490 dpm, put that gun on any other heavy tank and there will be a nice cosy space in my garage for it.

The problem is you have too few games to play on tier 8 properly, that's why you consider the high alpha or derp guns as best (shooting once and then dead).

When you learn the game you willappreciate different things. :girl:

eldrak #6 Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46578 battles
  • [NE-VO] NE-VO

View PostSABAOTH, on 23 March 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

Is autopen, at short distance is impossible to miss, but not as bad as on Mauerbrecher.

At mid to long is ok to me

The commanders hatch is small enough that people will miss it a lot if you're not standing still. Do the wiggle wiggle dance.

LordMuffin #7 Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48080 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
I is a well balanced T8 premium tank, maybe even a bit to strong compared to regular T8 heavy tanks.

Does the job good, can wreck T8 and lower tanks without taking damage if played correctly. Gun has decent pen, low alpha and dpm. Which are drawbacks.

Main issue is that it is a T8, and I had like

Ricky_Rolls #8 Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 66954 battles
Good against bots who think they can pen the lower plate, bad against anyone who has above 2 iQ.

AliceUnchained #9 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:35 PM

General

• Player
  • 38165 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostRicky_Rolls, on 23 March 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Good against bots who think they can pen the lower plate, bad against anyone who has above 2 iQ.

In other words, a sure winner in WoT? :P

TankkiPoju #10 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20014 battles

View PostRicky_Rolls, on 23 March 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

I am still salty from one time I met a super unicum player in a god damn M41 90, that shot my Liberte's cupola over and over with HE while I had to focus to enemies in front of me.

Besides the M41 90 could have just shot my side for 100% pen.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 23 March 2018 - 12:38 PM.

Ricky_Rolls #11 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 66954 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 23 March 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

I am still salty from one time I met a super unicum player in a god damn M41 90, that shot my Liberte's cupola over and over with HE while I had to focus to enemies in front of me.

Besides the M41 90 could have just shot my side for 100% pen.

A friend of mine got penned in his liberté's cupola by a type 4 using gold, he OS'd him. I was orange on his cupola when i switched to gold in mine, feels good man.

Edited by Ricky_Rolls, 23 March 2018 - 01:03 PM.

Panokko #12 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27542 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF
I like it... it has some armor on the front, an OK-ish gun. The weak spot cupola and weak sides and rear just means it's not idiotproof. I enjoy my Liberté.

Edited by Panokko, 23 March 2018 - 01:17 PM.

unrealname #13 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21774 battles
its good enough for prem, i like it ;)  there are a lot worse tier 8 heavies in game, definitely better than most tier 8 premium heavies.

D4wiD3K #14 Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

It's still a fine tank. Everyone knows of the cupola but only a very small percentage of the player base can hit it often enough. You do notice when you run into one of these players but if you can look past isolated cases like this the cupola isn't that much a threat.

The main reason why the M4 49 has suffered is the matchmaking changes around a year ago. It's absolutely stunning with dealing with same/lower tier tanks but struggles against higher tiers that can penetrate it very easily(with gold if necessary). In the old non-template matchmaking it faced lower tier tanks far more often. The thing about the new matchmaker is that you spend most of your battles on the bottom of the list and tanks like this suffer a great deal from it because they perform poorly as bottom tier.

The gun is just plain bad. It has 232 penetration and 0.35 base accuracy but literally everything else sucks. Alpha is bad, DPM is bad, aim time is bad, the stabilization is terrible. Doesn't hit hard, doesn't have DPM, doesn't hit snap shots... just woeful for a heavy tank. 

It's still a sturdy, fairly efficient tank but nowhere near the level it had when it was released. It also looks agonizingly frustrating to play with its low skill ceiling/cap.

If you're looking for a French premium heavy buy the Somua while it's being sold.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 23 March 2018 - 02:11 PM.

HundeWurst #15 Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67756 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

Well first things first: It just does not make much if any sense to by a premium tanks soloe for the purpose of crew training. The additional training is only actually noticeable for the first 2 skills. After that the needed EXP explodes so much that there is just hardly a difference between a regular tank and premium one.

Also keep in mind that you will still have most likely plenty of boosters for crew training flying around. After the second skill all further skill are just tiny/minor upgrades to have and most certainly not worth buying them indirectly for money via the purchase of a premium tank.

Boosters and the normal grind will yield a 3 skilled crew when you reach tier 9 anyway. Again: No need to buy a premium for crew training.

However if you still want to buy it here is my opinion on it. I have actually never played it but still:

The tank is decent. You are right though. It has this nasty cupola, however in return wonderful armor everywhere else. Even higher tiered tanks (tier 9 and 10 obviously) have to aim for that cupola if they want to penetrate you (reliable) with standard ammo. That makes the tank actually really good. They will have to aim a lot. For that soloe reason the armor works really well even against at least tier 9 tanks.

You get a decent gun and for the armor are still not the slowest turd on the battlefied. I would recommend this tank. Ofc the creditsincome is overshadowed by the rather expensive shells, but oh well at least you get great penetration with standard rounds and a tier wide average alpha damage.

Search_Warrant #16 Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 26690 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Less than 5k battle and yellow stats. dont touch tier 8 please.

velvetcough #17 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4666 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 23 March 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

Less than 5k battle and yellow stats. dont touch tier 8 please.

yeah, thanks for that, Search_Warrant. 

I guess i did put "opinions, please" in the title, so am culpable for leaving the door rather wide open to all comers.  Whilst I can sympathise with your sentiments (I do feel a bit 'out of my class' and even guilty when i load into a tier 8 game and QB's mod-pack [used to..where is it..?] shows me i'm one of only a couple of light red player in a rainbow display of blues, greens etc), i equally feel that i need to do something with the 21 premium tier 8 vehicles sitting in my garage.  Clearly i'm allowed to play the tier 3, 4 and 6 premiums i have - i would think, following your logic - since that's the kind of levels i'm at in the tech tree on my grinds (it's a bit higher actually - i would say i'm mostly at tier 5 on the lines i'm grinding, and just starting to get my first few tier 6s and the odd 7), but does tier 7 count as a tier i can play in, in your world..?  Or is it not so much the tier i'm generally at as it is the number of battles I've got under my belt..? 

When I was in SGTA, before it's demise, our instructors used to say that they didn't really consider that people generally had any substantive game knowledge before 10,000 games, which was something I thought worth keeping in mind. 

And whilst you're right that in some occasions I do nothing to help my teams towards a win when i take out one of my tier 8 premiums for a game, and sometimes i get seriously stomped by better play, there are occasions - like the other day - where i took out my lovely Even 90 and got a kill, spotted out for my team, racked up 1200-odd damage, 1600-odd assistance, sniffed out the arty etc and generally helped my team win.  Those games i enjoy very much, and i find it hard to see from what angle they can be said to be a bad thing. 

Most of my tier 8 premiums have at most a couple of games played on them though, since i bought them largely for the day when i feel i am ready for more regular tier 8 play (also, let me not forget to mention that I also plain enjoy buying tanks i want).  So, essentially, I am largely of the view that you are, Search_Warrant, and am wary of playing above myself.

But I have spent so long replying directly to your brief 'opinion' largely because i don't think the sentiment behind it was generous, and i therefore wanted to put it back in your lap, rather than have it sat, mean-spirited, in mine.  I get the sense that you were trying to 'put me in my place', and i think that's unnecessary, as i've a fairly good idea of where i stand in the game.  I'm sure I've the usual underlying feeling that I'm a better player than my games suggest (!), but I'm generally pretty clear-sighted about where I'm at.  But at least something positive comes from it, as you get the buzz from having delivered a put down to another forumite.

Thanks for the other input, guys.  I'm still undecided. 

I did however buy an IS6.

ha.  P'raps i should also have indicated that I could have given as many 'reasons' as i wanted but am, when revealed in all my dripping full-frontedness, a bit of a collector.

Shaade_Silentpaw #18 Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22020 battles

The cupola was fine to me - it's balanced.

What really irritates me though is the fact that HEAT will cut right through the mantlet with little effort.

Negativvv #19 Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8362 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View Postvelvetcough, on 24 March 2018 - 09:48 PM, said:

yeah, thanks for that, Search_Warrant. 

I guess i did put "opinions, please" in the title, so am culpable for leaving the door rather wide open to all comers.  Whilst I can sympathise with your sentiments (I do feel a bit 'out of my class' and even guilty when i load into a tier 8 game and QB's mod-pack [used to..where is it..?] shows me i'm one of only a couple of light red player in a rainbow display of blues, greens etc), i equally feel that i need to do something with the 21 premium tier 8 vehicles sitting in my garage.  Clearly i'm allowed to play the tier 3, 4 and 6 premiums i have - i would think, following your logic - since that's the kind of levels i'm at in the tech tree on my grinds (it's a bit higher actually - i would say i'm mostly at tier 5 on the lines i'm grinding, and just starting to get my first few tier 6s and the odd 7), but does tier 7 count as a tier i can play in, in your world..?  Or is it not so much the tier i'm generally at as it is the number of battles I've got under my belt..? 

When I was in SGTA, before it's demise, our instructors used to say that they didn't really consider that people generally had any substantive game knowledge before 10,000 games, which was something I thought worth keeping in mind. 

And whilst you're right that in some occasions I do nothing to help my teams towards a win when i take out one of my tier 8 premiums for a game, and sometimes i get seriously stomped by better play, there are occasions - like the other day - where i took out my lovely Even 90 and got a kill, spotted out for my team, racked up 1200-odd damage, 1600-odd assistance, sniffed out the arty etc and generally helped my team win.  Those games i enjoy very much, and i find it hard to see from what angle they can be said to be a bad thing. 

Most of my tier 8 premiums have at most a couple of games played on them though, since i bought them largely for the day when i feel i am ready for more regular tier 8 play (also, let me not forget to mention that I also plain enjoy buying tanks i want).  So, essentially, I am largely of the view that you are, Search_Warrant, and am wary of playing above myself.

But I have spent so long replying directly to your brief 'opinion' largely because i don't think the sentiment behind it was generous, and i therefore wanted to put it back in your lap, rather than have it sat, mean-spirited, in mine.  I get the sense that you were trying to 'put me in my place', and i think that's unnecessary, as i've a fairly good idea of where i stand in the game.  I'm sure I've the usual underlying feeling that I'm a better player than my games suggest (!), but I'm generally pretty clear-sighted about where I'm at.  But at least something positive comes from it, as you get the buzz from having delivered a put down to another forumite.

Thanks for the other input, guys.  I'm still undecided. 

I did however buy an IS6.

ha.  P'raps i should also have indicated that I could have given as many 'reasons' as i wanted but am, when revealed in all my dripping full-frontedness, a bit of a collector.

Well said, elitist folk are worse than the so called Tomatoes imo as the attitude is poor. If you're better than someone then beat them and move on maybe instead of talking down others.

Search_Warrant #20 Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 26690 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Postvelvetcough, on 24 March 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

Eh. i just looked at the facts before me. you dont have enough experience in lower tiers and you want to buy a tier 8 prem. why would you actively sabotage your team with poor play full well knowing you arent good enough for that tier?

there is no "malice" or "elitism" in my post. im just giving honest feedback. sorry if it comes across as me being a d**k, thats not my intention. you might be a newbie starting out and become a much better player after a few more thousand battles, but as of right now i dont see the point in playing a tier you would get stomped in and somehow enjoy it. tho ELC EVEN90 is a fun tank for anyone (i play this tank quite a lot myself).

I cant stop you from buying tier 8 premiums, but just know that when you play a tier you suck at (i suck at tier 10) i try avoid it untill i feel confident enough to play it. stats are 1 way of seeing how good i am, allot of people padd stats, but i dont so thats why i usualy use WN8 as a go-to on skill level.

If you wish to buy Liberte, go ahead, but its not very good because of the paper sides, cupola weak spot, cheeks are weak when angled and arty loves you. honestly with the new MM its not that good, gold just autopens and its not fun.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 25 March 2018 - 02:22 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

eldoge93