Community breaker

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

howyadoing #1 Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 23358 battles

I think i found the equation that messes up the community of any online game.

When I think back to any/all mmo I played, this defines the behaviour/reactions of the players of that game to each other.

Here it comes :

Numbers/statistic’s > character

When digital numbers, are more important, then the player playing it.

When that moment hits, to me, is a gamestopper. I won’t totally drop a game but I can’t seem to emerge myself anymore like in the beginning of the game.

I still sub for World of Warcraft every now and then, but when I reach the point I’m running around just for better ilvl, hitting a target dummy for best rotation, it stops.

Wow/Wot, these days, is about numbers>character.

Wow example :

Raid à damage meter à wow check that dps number ! who did that ? à check character name

Wot example :

Random battle à XVM à Wow check that wn8 number ! who is that ? à check character name

There is one universal (temporary) counter : New content

New content seems to make us forget our stats envy for a while.

Now patch 1.0 is nice, but not really new content. Playing random battles since beta so kinda done with that. I’m hoping they make an option so I can play only 30vs30, I like that game mode. But havin to hope that I will get one, isn’t gonna make me sub again. Will jump in for clan activities but despise havin the grind the credits again to go full prem in those matches.

just my 2 cents

Afterthought :

I know we like to get in each others face and be all toxic to each others posts.

But I’m pretty sure when you put us together at a table

Arty player – arty hater player – unicum player – noob player – full prem ammo shooter player  – free to play on everything player

And a table next to us is filled with Armored warfare players, talking crapabout our wot.

We would together, kick their arse.

Ceeb #2 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 30073 battles

My statistics are below so you don't have to look them up, which seems such a common pastime as people judge epeens

I haven't ran XVM for three days, and Play like every game is the same, rather than looking at the all Blue/green team and then look at my Red team and go into every game thinking its a loss,

Much happier for it.

As for every online game, I cant remember the two games I've put effort into having Stats. Star Wars Galaxies (Still think I was the best weaponsmith on Chimera) and Jumpgate.....

Scorilo #3 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3677 battles

View PostCeeb, on 23 March 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

My statistics are below so you don't have to look them up, which seems such a common pastime as people judge epeens

I haven't ran XVM for three days, and Play like every game is the same, rather than looking at the all Blue/green team and then look at my Red team and go into every game thinking its a loss,

Much happier for it.

As for every online game, I cant remember the two games I've put effort into having Stats. Star Wars Galaxies (Still think I was the best weaponsmith on Chimera) and Jumpgate.....

Damn right ! Ppl would play more relaxed if they wouldnt give a fudge about this xvm thing.

Edited by Asklepi0s, 23 March 2018 - 01:24 PM.

discontinued #4 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5434 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I would echo what the Op said,

I have been online gaming for a number of years and have had good to great stats in some games and shocking stats in others.

being to focused on stats tends to take away much of the enjoyment of the game..that guys with 42% might actually be enjoying the game a lot more than the 55% guy who constantly worries and DPM and losing streaks.

Combat arms which i used to play a lot and in some ways is typical of any MMO and pretty much went down the same path as tanks has and is no longer reccogisable as the game it once was..

However, one major positive..... after many years they have essentially removed player stats from the game you can look at your own but not other players..this actually made the game far more enjoyable and people where willing to take more risks, camp less and actually have far better games.

I have for a long time felt that stats chaser are having less fun from the game that those who simply dont care.

The problem is i have fallen for the stats thing again and do care,

For instance since the update i have had around a 30% win rate and its bugging me..maybe just, maybe I should stop caring so much and just enjoy.

Rather than calling out my team for doing stupid stuff .

Put it this way if there was no win loss and just battles played we might get more interesting games rather than the  guy in an E100 camping in the corner terrified to risk anything .

that's my opinion anyway.

ThinGun #5 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32775 battles

It's a characteristic of the internet in general, rather than WoT in particular.  People measure 'success' in Likes, Stats, Hits or whatever metric your website-of-choice is using.  In the absence of genuine human interaction, it seems to be the only measure left.  
In game terms, focus firing on the better players of the opposing team is good strategy.

In human terms gauging someone's worth based on their calculated ability is just pathetic.

Basically "I'm going to shoot gold at you because you're purple" makes sense, whereas "Your opinion is invalid because you're red" is just puerile.

AliceUnchained #6 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322
Simple solution: Play without XVM.

blaster1112 #7 Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9221 battles
  • [RANGX] RANGX

View PostScorilo, on 23 March 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

Damn right ! Ppl would play more relaxed if they wouldnt give a fudge about this xvm thing.

I do run xvm lately. (Because I noticed a while ago that I was about to hit green). But also because I tend to overestimate the map reading abilities of most teammates. (Most player don't watch the minimap -.-"), while I got used to it when driving the old T95 (You had to if you ever wanted to do something).

I like checking out which tanks on my team I can probably rely on. (Because let's be honest some dude with sub 100 wn8 and 15k+ battles is someone you cannot rely on).

But yeah overall not having XVM calms you down a lot. But lately I have been paying more attention to it, and my WN8 is rising quite rapidly. (Which I like seeing after a session).

BlackPantherKTwo #8 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16809 battles
Or if XVM gets at least fixed. Using the stats from your first games to get a value that is meant to describe your recent abilities is just weird.
Some ELO rating system might make more sense, but unfortunately isnt applicable in WoT.
But in a game like WoT some rating system just is needed. How else do you want to know how you are doing and if you're becoming better?

Jigabachi #9 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

To some extent I have to agree, but you compare nuts with apples, which doesn't make any sense.

WoW is a RPG. It has a story, it has a lore, it has things to discover and all that. Your motivation to play (and ofc the entire gameplay) is completely different compared to WoT.

WoT is a competitive shooter or actiongame. You directly compete with other players.

I played the GuildWars series and some other free RPGs. There I never cared about stats or maximising my gear. When I beat the story and reached maxlevel, I was quite bored. And lost, because there was nothing giving me a path to follow anymore. I had no interest in maximising my gear or build and soon stopped playing. I played a bit PvP (only things like "world vs. world" with tons of players involved) but couldn't care less about stats.

In games like this one it's different, though. I still have absolutely no interest in stats and stuff, but I still try to be somewhat good at what I do. Or at least not a burden. That is a part of the motivation.

discontinued #10 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5434 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I used to play Warrock with a guy called DrGonzo

He was one of the most incredible gamers I've ever encountered, this guy could shoot planes down with the M82 barret every game without fail, He would shoot the pilot in a moving plane and could easily rack up the highest score in any game.

But when it came to ammo refills which where only placed in a small number of locations around the map, he would simply commit suicide as he said i cant be fkd to walk all that way.

He had a 0.5 to 1 kdr whilst we had 2.5 to 1 & 7 - 1 kdr players in our clan, this guy could dominate them all, when i asked about stats he simply said i don't give a s***t.

Also the stat padders where always keen to battle him in CQC mode thinking they'd get an easy win, until they battled this guy..within 2 mins they would rage quit calling him hacker and all kinds of abuse...as he was hurting their precious stats...badly

Best gamer I ever saw....

Hope your still out there somewhere Gonzo

Edited by discontinued, 23 March 2018 - 01:19 PM.

Simeon85 #11 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

I play for fun, fun for me is playing and doing well, the stats basically track if you are progressing/doing well, I thus try to keep improving and that challenge of mastering the game is part of my fun. 

XVM in game I don't use at all, out of games stats though I see no issue with, with an objective eye they will tell you how good someone is at the game and to that person will show how they are doing.

The game is basically built on stats and numbers, it's all over the tanks, in the garage etc. 

Long_Range_Sniper #12 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29441 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostAliceUnchained, on 23 March 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Simple solution: Play without XVM.

For most players you actually want to increase the chance you learn from each game, each loss, and each win, then this is the best way forward. 

The risk if you keep using XVM is it becomes a crutch to your performance, and your ability to learn the things that make a difference to your chances of winning.

View PostThinGun, on 23 March 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

Basically "I'm going to shoot gold at you because you're purple" makes sense

It might make sense if the minimap is just a jumble of colours to you, and reading the flow of the game is beyond your skill level as a player. In which case if you're not able to do all of those things and drive your tank as well, XVM could be quite an advantage.

"Shoot the purple if I can, and hide from the purple if I can't". 

XVM gives you the information to do this. Which might put the odd fraction of a percent on your winrate over time.

What XVM doesn't tell you is,

• Why the purple player went there they are.
  • Whether the purple player is an actual threat in that position.
  • Where to shoot the purple player.
  • Whether to relocate.
  • How to position your tank best.
  • etc etc

Generally you can tell a good player from the way they position on the map, how they play their tank, and the actions they take. Once you can recognise these  things you can start to try and replicate them in your own gameplay. You might still not be able to do them because of your own inherent skill level, but your gameplay will have improved without the crutch of XVM

I have no problems with the stats of players being obtained in battle, but it's a tank game. They should be obtained through spotting and reconnaissance. The better the player, the harder they will be to obtain. This would give purple players a breather from YOLO/Arty focus, and poorer players would actually have to learn the game and the mechanics to find out stats.

At the moment XVM delivers it to players on a plate, which helps nobody.

arthurwellsley #13 Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50487 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 23 March 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

For most players you actually want to increase the chance you learn from each game, each loss, and each win, then this is the best way forward. 

The risk if you keep using XVM is it becomes a crutch to your performance, and your ability to learn the things that make a difference to your chances of winning.

It might make sense if the minimap is just a jumble of colours to you, and reading the flow of the game is beyond your skill level as a player. In which case if you're not able to do all of those things and drive your tank as well, XVM could be quite an advantage.

XVM gives you the information to do this. Which might put the odd fraction of a percent on your winrate over time.

• Whether to relocate.
  • etc etc

Generally you can tell a good player from the way they position on the map, how they play their tank, and the actions they take. Once you can recognise these  things you can start to try and replicate them in your own gameplay. You might still not be able to do them because of your own inherent skill level, but your gameplay will have improved without the crutch of XVM

I have no problems with the stats of players being obtained in battle, but it's a tank game. They should be obtained through spotting and reconnaissance. The better the player, the harder they will be to obtain. This would give purple players a breather from YOLO/Arty focus, and poorer players would actually have to learn the game and the mechanics to find out stats.

There is also a huge difference between a purple player with 50-60k battles and one with less than 5k.

Hendrik3 #14 Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2766 battles
  • [T-ANK] T-ANK

Most important is not to mind how others judge you.
These are your stats, take it or leave it, and there are always people who will judge you for it - but you should not let it infringe on your fun-time or progress.
Thing is, these toxic players are not the good ones. I'm yellow recently and the insults are always hurled by those who blame others for their own lack of success... which is of course saying enough about them.
We're not there to guarantee their success, I'm there to have fun and do my best for the team - however ineffective that might be sometimes - but everyone has a right to learn. 
As I see it from the ranks of the averages: A good player takes a leading role, the bad ones angrily point their finger at others.

But while toxicity in an online community is to be expected: the toxicity in this game is a special kind of bad. I've been playing online games for almost 15 years and only in this game someone (from the opposing team) wished cancer on my mother so aggressively that I had to log off and breathe for a moment. Being called a noob, an idiot or to be told to delete your account... sure... but that kind of keyboard raging is rare. You need a thick skin, nowadays... and a friendly, supportive clan always helps.

Just started again after having been away for more than a year - and am glad the enemy team chat is off. 

Edited by Hendrik3, 23 March 2018 - 02:12 PM.

Long_Range_Sniper #15 Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29441 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postarthurwellsley, on 23 March 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

There is also a huge difference between a purple player with 50-60k battles and one with less than 5k.

Yes, and unless you've got the skills, knowledge and experience to interpret these nuances then XVM can lead you to potentially play differently, at the expense of improving.

ThinGun #16 Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32775 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 23 March 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

• Whether to relocate.
  • etc etc

I don't have colours on my minimap (well, apart from red and green).  But, I do like to review the stats before the game starts and identify the major threats/targets.  As someone else said, a purple with 5k is not as much as threat as a purple with 50k - or even a yellow with 20k.

Knowing where the threats lie doesn't prevent one learning from the gameplay of the more skilled players.  One might even say it helps ... I do tend to monitor the movements of the better enemy players.  It's a bit easier than waiting to be shot by someone before realising how good they are.  Plus of course, one can adapt one's strategy accordingly - (skilled enemy lights? hide in a bush - skilled arty?  keep moving, etc etc)

Long_Range_Sniper #17 Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29441 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostThinGun, on 23 March 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

I don't have colours on my minimap (well, apart from red and green).  But, I do like to review the stats before the game starts and identify the major threats/targets.  As someone else said, a purple with 5k is not as much as threat as a purple with 50k - or even a yellow with 20k.

Knowing where the threats lie doesn't prevent one learning from the gameplay of the more skilled players.  One might even say it helps ... I do tend to monitor the movements of the better enemy players.  It's a bit easier than waiting to be shot by someone before realising how good they are.  Plus of course, one can adapt one's strategy accordingly - (skilled enemy lights? hide in a bush - skilled arty?  keep moving, etc etc)

Yes, you could argue that watching the purple player go to a certain position on the map and at least replicating that yourself is one way to improve your game. I doubt you'll see many unicum players go to the beach on Overlord.

In the evolution of a player career there must come a point where you can play with or without XVM and not having it shouldn't impact on your winrate or your enjoyment that much?

I originally turned off XVM with the old client when I found it gave me a huge FPS boost. Then I found out I was winning just the same, wasn't getting frustrated by my team, and was actually improving as well.

ThinGun #18 Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32775 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 23 March 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Yes, you could argue that watching the purple player go to a certain position on the map and at least replicating that yourself is one way to improve your game. I doubt you'll see many unicum players go to the beach on Overlord.

In the evolution of a player career there must come a point where you can play with or without XVM and not having it shouldn't impact on your winrate or your enjoyment that much?

I originally turned off XVM with the old client when I found it gave me a huge FPS boost. Then I found out I was winning just the same, wasn't getting frustrated by my team, and was actually improving as well.

True ... learning by example is quite effective.

I can certainly play without XVM, and frequently do, while waiting for mod updates to catch up with new WoT releases. I just prefer to play with it on - it helps me determine my initial strategy from spawn.

Never noticed an FPS boost, but .. it just means I join a game with 20 seconds left on countdown, rather than 25.

Each to his own I guess.  I'm not maintaining that XVM is mandatory, just explaining how I use it in my games.  I don't think it's reasonable to assume that 'at a certain skill level you don't need XVM', because that would imply a single route to unicum, playing the same strategies in the same tanks.  

Long_Range_Sniper #19 Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29441 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostThinGun, on 23 March 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

True ... learning by example is quite effective.

I can certainly play without XVM, and frequently do, while waiting for mod updates to catch up with new WoT releases. I just prefer to play with it on - it helps me determine my initial strategy from spawn.

Never noticed an FPS boost, but .. it just means I join a game with 20 seconds left on countdown, rather than 25.

Each to his own I guess.  I'm not maintaining that XVM is mandatory, just explaining how I use it in my games.  I don't think it's reasonable to assume that 'at a certain skill level you don't need XVM', because that would imply a single route to unicum, playing the same strategies in the same tanks.  

If anyone's interested there's also a stats mod on Aslains pack that only gives you stats on the loading screen. It gives you none of the other XVM functionality, and when I tried it recently there was no FPS drop at all. If you didn't want any of Aslains other mods you can just select that to download from the menu.

If you do like to use stats to tee up your approach then you can still do it from the loading screen, but the client looks totally vanilla in game.

I played with it for a week, but just went more toxic than usual and blood pressure went up too much........:trollface:

ThinGun #20 Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32775 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 23 March 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

If anyone's interested there's also a stats mod on Aslains pack that only gives you stats on the loading screen. It gives you none of the other XVM functionality, and when I tried it recently there was no FPS drop at all. If you didn't want any of Aslains other mods you can just select that to download from the menu.

If you do like to use stats to tee up your approach then you can still do it from the loading screen, but the client looks totally vanilla in game.

I played with it for a week, but just went more toxic than usual and blood pressure went up too much........:trollface:

Interesting.  I actually have to monitor my blood pressure quite carefully, and its ALWAYS lower after a WoT session.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users