Counter Battery

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

mpf1959 #1 Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24021 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

What are your thoughts on Counter Battery Fire? What I mean by that is specifically seeking out, and destroying enemy artillery by tracers, or guessing spots, as opposed to targeting them if they're lit up ect.

My opinion is that I don't go in for it personally, I can do it, but I feel that it makes the arty less effective in helping the team win, and plays right into the hands of the arty haters, who encourage it. I feel time i better spent helping to damage and destroy the actual fighting enemy tanks. not to mention we earn more in every way for doing so. You cant be doing both. If I am attacked by the enemy arty, I will then try to hunt them down, but I never start it.

Sometimes, it can be done quickly enough, but other times you could be tied up for 5 mins trying to find them. Some games only last that long! Anyway, I would be interested to hear all of your opinions either pro or against the practice and why, god forbid I would try and tell anyone what to do, but I feel for interested arty players it is at least worth discussing.

Darth_Clicker #2 Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58887 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

I play counter arty when it is the best thing I can do for my team.  This means that if I am in an arty with a long reload time, I will hunt for tracers until I have a few seconds left on the reload.  I also hunt for tracers when I don't have a clear shot at an enemy tank.  If there are 3 enemy arty in the battle, I will usually try to take at least one out early in the battle as it is easier to locate one when there are three.  At the moment, this is a problem with the new maps and the artillery aren't always in the old locations.  I have to learn the new locations, so counter artillery isn't as easy as before...for me personally.

So yes, I play counter arty, but only when it is the best use of my time.

HeidenSieker #3 Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View Postmpf1959, on 24 March 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

What are your thoughts on Counter Battery Fire? What I mean by that is specifically seeking out, and destroying enemy artillery by tracers, or guessing spots, as opposed to targeting them if they're lit up ect.

The only SPGs I play much are the Bishop and FV304 (not as much). It's difficult to CB in those.... roughly once per 1,000 battles currently :) There're normally more pressing targets.

Edit: Oooh, arr, the above is medals. It is possible to CB more often, ofc, but for medals one has to bag a brace at least.

Edited by HeidenSieker, 25 March 2018 - 12:09 AM.

Taudlitz #4 Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22418 battles

View Postmpf1959, on 24 March 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

My opinion is that I don't go in for it personally, I can do it, but I feel that it makes the arty less effective in helping the team win, and plays right into the hands of the arty haters, who encourage it. I feel time i better spent helping to damage and destroy the actual fighting enemy tanks. not to mention we earn more in every way for doing so. You cant be doing both. If I am attacked by the enemy arty, I will then try to hunt them down, but I never start it.

Sometimes, it can be done quickly enough, but other times you could be tied up for 5 mins trying to find them. Some games only last that long! Anyway, I would be interested to hear all of your opinions either pro or against the practice and why, god forbid I would try and tell anyone what to do, but I feel for interested arty players it is at least worth discussing.

I really like it, arta counter battering means less arta s hit for normal tanks. Imo arta should start shooting on normal tank only after they counter all enemy arta

Edited by Taudlitz, 24 March 2018 - 07:04 PM.

Bordhaw #5 Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13805 battles

View Postmpf1959, on 24 March 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

If there are no other targets or the map is something like Lakeville then it's easier. 

Darth_Clicker #6 Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:03 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58887 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostTaudlitz, on 24 March 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

I really like it, arta counter battering means less arta s hit for normal tanks. Imo arta should start shooting on normal tank only after they counter all enemy arta

I agree, but currently it really isn't worth artys time to completely focus on counter artillery.  I think WG should give arty an xp/credit multiplier that increases with each unspotted enemy arty damaged/destroyed or even stunned.  Many arty players probably don't play counter arty simply because they can earn more xp and credits from a 1000 hp tank compared to a 300 hp arty.  Plus the tanks are easier to hit because they are spotted.

kaneloon #7 Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 30223 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB

Counter arty is nice but :

- players staying still after shooting are rare

- I  cant one-shot any more tiers 10 arties even with full hit (in obj 261) ... but I shot a tiers 8 arta a few days ago.

So now it is mainly a loss of time.

mpf1959 #8 Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24021 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postkaneloon, on 25 March 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

Counter arty is nice but :

- players staying still after shooting are rare

- I  cant one-shot any more tiers 10 arties even with full hit (in obj 261) ... but I shot a tiers 8 arta a few days ago.

So now it is mainly a loss of time.

Thats a good point. Many times it's little more than a stun. so retaliation sets in, and other tanks get ignored. as I said before, I never start it, but if I do get hit I will then devote my time to revenge. But, it is not the best use of my gun, I'm not helping the team, and I'm not racking up points either!

As an aside, reading the forum over the last few months, my observation is that most counter battery advocates seem to come from the ranks of the arty haters, which makes perfect sense when you think about it, if all arty were to be doing all game is seeking each other out, we become irrelevant.

Edited by mpf1959, 25 March 2018 - 02:05 PM.

mpf1959 #9 Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24021 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 24 March 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

I play counter arty when it is the best thing I can do for my team.  This means that if I am in an arty with a long reload time, I will hunt for tracers until I have a few seconds left on the reload.  I also hunt for tracers when I don't have a clear shot at an enemy tank.  If there are 3 enemy arty in the battle, I will usually try to take at least one out early in the battle as it is easier to locate one when there are three.  At the moment, this is a problem with the new maps and the artillery aren't always in the old locations.  I have to learn the new locations, so counter artillery isn't as easy as before...for me personally.

Makes perfect sense!

Version43 #10 Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7183 battles
  • [0N] 0N

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 24 March 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

​Exactly what i wanted to type!

To all doing CB: Good hunting! :justwait:

I think spreading shots really helps (i basically try to farm a confederate medal every battle) and often there is time to shoot one of the regular arty spots to.

Another thing that can help (YMMV) is asking the team to click the map where the incoming arty fire is from.

Bordhaw #11 Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13805 battles
Players counter-battery if there are three SPG per team because you have three times the chance of a target and one SPG can counter whilst the other two target elsewhere without effectiveness lose. 

mpf1959 #12 Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24021 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I never start it, but if I get any counter directed at me, I take it personal then devote the rest of the game to it, hopefully I kill them, but it's ok even if it is just to ruin that arty's game.

RazzerKFG #13 Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9441 battles
  • [D_O_D] D_O_D
Normaly no, but if we're 3 arties on each side, I try on some maps, to scout for the others

Suurpolskija #14 Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22600 battles
  • [KANKI] KANKI

Well, depends on the map, really. On Mines I'll definately look for shots in between of reloads. On some others, not so much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users