KV-85 stock advice.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mr_Sentinazo #1 Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 585 battles

Hello I'm a returning player but I almost haven't played at all since the only full tank branches were russian and german and some frenchies.

I think I suck even more in this new account than in my older one, haha my numbers are garbage.

I'm having problems with the kv-85 mostly stock (just engine upgraded from kv-1s and radio) what a painful grind, I try to help fellow tier VIII heavies ([edited]MM) stay in cover behind them or try to flank enemies but i just feel like paper everytime I pop out of cover and also I deal a miserable 160 damage i think, pen is also a problem when facing top tiers. unless I flank them but I don't feel fast enough neither to act as a reliable medium. I really don't know how to play this tank.

I'n my old account I just played fat [edited]german heavy tanks and knew how to bounce shots quite well but this russians are too different.

I would appreciate some help, thanks.

Isharial #2 Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18312 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMr_Sentinazo, on 24 March 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

Hello I'm a returning player but I almost haven't played at all since the only full tank branches were russian and german and some frenchies.

I think I suck even more in this new account than in my older one, haha my numbers are garbage.

I'm having problems with the kv-85 mostly stock (just engine upgraded from kv-1s and radio) what a painful grind, I try to help fellow tier VIII heavies ([edited]MM) stay in cover behind them or try to flank enemies but i just feel like paper everytime I pop out of cover and also I deal a miserable 160 damage i think, pen is also a problem when facing top tiers. unless I flank them but I don't feel fast enough neither to act as a reliable medium. I really don't know how to play this tank.

I'n my old account I just played fat [edited]german heavy tanks and knew how to bounce shots quite well but this russians are too different.

1) research the best gun it can equip (or see 2)

2) free xp the full tank so you don't have to play it stock

3) research the top gun/engine on another tank

4) load gold

5) deal with it?

there's not much we can say about it, its low armour so id say play it like a medium and support them rather than trying to play as a heavy tank (that gameplay got me 2 marks on the IS, so that's how id play it)

be the "bully" in the medium corner, and hit them with harder alpha than they can reply with

since your armour is worthless its HP and gun power that stays their hand

obviously that comes with some disadvantages, you cant hide like a medium, spot like a medium or run away like one, but that comes with the extra HP and alpha over them at T6 and T7 and generally, these kind of heavies work well in that role

Edited by Isharial, 24 March 2018 - 06:14 PM.

WindSplitter1 #3 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

I'd recommend you'd skip the 122mm.

That might sound like a beast in Tier VI but it's like playing artillery with armour, HP and no top-down view.

The Top 85mm should be the priority.

As far as gameplay is concerned, beats me. I usually just stay in the pack until the enemy pushes out of cover.

unhappy_bunny #4 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17409 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Best advice I can give for KV-85 stock:

Roughly chop 1 onion, 1 carrot and 1 stick of celery and place in a pan of boiling water.

Add 1 KV-85 and when boiling, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 1-2 hours. 

Strain the liquid into a bowl, discard the vegetables and KV-85 and return the liquid to the pan, bring to the boil and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.

Serve the resulting stock with a generous portion of Sprouts and a pint of real ale. 

Seriously, get it upgraded as soon as possible. It can be a pretty good tank, but pretend its a medium.

Edited by unhappy_bunny, 24 March 2018 - 08:42 PM.

mickleblade #5 Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16024 battles
just remember, it has 2.8° gun depression, stay somewhere flat. And as a previous commenter said, load the gold. Top gun is pretty good though. The 122mm is for the lols, a bit like playing a KV2, fire, miss, and hide for 25s.

Bordhaw #6 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9559 battles

View PostMr_Sentinazo, on 24 March 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

Don't you have any other tanks to get some free xp?

Mr_Sentinazo #7 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 585 battles

Okay, I will try to play as a medium, and get the 100mm as soon as possible. Also yes the gun depression is bad, I always avoid slope terrain i'm useless there...

Thank you guys, I will try this night. 

Edited by Mr_Sentinazo, 24 March 2018 - 09:15 PM.

Pansenmann #8 Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33263 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

1st - tracks, so you can mount equip - or buy suspension module.

2nd - gun. more dmg = more xp

Steeleye_Spam #9 Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26427 battles
Stock advice from me is sell it or free xp it, or skip it by doing the kv-13 instead. I really didn't get on with it, and the lack of gun depression in particular was a show stopper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users