Season setup (need feedback from CW players)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Seasons (133 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

What to do with it?

1. Let it remain as it is (12 votes [9.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.02%

2. Let it remain as it is, but leave the map unfozen after a season, till the next season starts. (19 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Remove seasons completely and make it a nearly 365days/year sandbox like in the past. Never do mapwipes either. (67 votes [50.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.38%

4. Increase the length of the seasons (11 votes [8.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.27%

5. Increase the length of the seasons, and leave the map unfrozen after a season, till the next season starts. (20 votes [15.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.04%

6. Something else (please elaborate). (4 votes [3.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.01%

Vote Hide poll

FireflyDivision #1 Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23773 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

As you may have noticed, the current system is

Season, ~ 1 month break, season, ~1 month break, etc

This system doesn't always allow clans to continue or finish their conflicts. For example, we were witnessing how FAME was putting MVPS's gold income to ruins in the last few days. 

So, I'd like to know what the CW community generally thinks of this. We've got a couple of options:

1. Let it remain as it is

2. Let it remain as it is, but leave the map unfozen after a season, till the next season starts.

3. Remove seasons completely and make it a nearly 365days/year sandbox like in the past. Never do mapwipes either. (this option means that you won't be able to win special camo and medals during normal seasons anymore).

4. Increase the length of the seasons

5. Increase the length of the seasons, and leave the map unfrozen after a season, till the next season starts.

6. Something else (please elaborate). 

Edited by FireflyDivision, 27 March 2018 - 09:45 AM.

James_Potkukelkka #2 Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23439 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP
1 month break is too long. Maybe 1 week max. Still CW is CW. 

mango91 #3 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 40842 battles
  • [ORKI] ORKI

365 sandbox - {some major festivities}

or

shorter freeze / no freeze at all

StinkyStonky #4 Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26939 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

The current schedule seems fine to me.  Having a closed period means it's possible to focus on grinding, training, SHs/Advances, w/e specials and marathons and means it's exciting when the GM reopens.

For me the problem with the CW/GM is the huge rewards for the few and virtually nothing for everyone else.

View PostFireflyDivision, on 26 March 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

... we were witnessing how FAME was putting MVPS's gold income to ruins in the last few days. 

That's really interesting.  I had no idea.  You know why ?  Because we had no chance at all of being anywhere near that area of the map.

If the GM is open 365 there needs to be a cap on earnings and exclusions for holding too much land for too long.

FireflyDivision #5 Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23773 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View PostStinkyStonky, on 27 March 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

That's really interesting.  I had no idea.  You know why ?  Because we had no chance at all of being anywhere near that area of the map.

If the GM is open 365 there needs to be a cap on earnings and exclusions for holding too much land for too long.

No matter how you design the global map and what rules you set, the weakest clans will never hold the highest value provinces. You can't get 4k gold provinces while having 0 fighting capability. It's just impossible, no matter how you put it. 

Also, don't blame others. It seems a problem from your part. There are clans with similar stats to yours (or even lower) who earned more gold in cw than you did. You couldn't even get a foothold in tier 8 cw. But it's not only that: ASTYL has around your wn8 and they have a 840 gold province and a 600 gold province on the t10 front. You know why? Cuz they care. They played 43 advances in the last month. They are practicing. They also have alot more active players than you have. So maybe you should recruit some players or put aside your power-hungry nature and accept to merge into another clan. 

If everyone gets all the gold they want for free, there will be 0 fighting on the map. 

Edited by FireflyDivision, 27 March 2018 - 04:15 PM.

_Crusad3r_ #6 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29121 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View PostFireflyDivision, on 27 March 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

No matter how you design the global map and what rules you set, the weakest clans will never hold the highest value provinces. You can't get 4k gold provinces while having 0 fighting capability. It's just impossible, no matter how you put it. 

Also, don't blame others. It seems a problem from your part. There are clans with similar stats to yours (or even lower) who earned more gold in cw than you did. You couldn't even get a foothold in tier 8 cw. But it's not only that: ASTYL has around your wn8 and they have a 840 gold province and a 600 gold province on the t10 front. You know why? Cuz they care. They played 43 advances in the last month. They are practicing. They also have alot more active players than you have. So maybe you should recruit some players or put aside your power-hungry nature and accept to merge into another clan. 

If everyone gets all the gold they want for free, there will be 0 fighting on the map. 

^^^ THIS ^^^

Keyhand #7 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 59540 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostStinkyStonky, on 27 March 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Then maybe your level of skill and/or activity do not match the requirements for participating successfully for that kind of gold on the global map?

Actually it should be the other way around, holding provinces for quite some time should get rewarded since by doing that a clan demonstrates skill as well as determination.

If you cap the income, what would be the incentive to fight for good clans after they capped out?

It would be a similar idiocy like during the last campaign where the winning clan fought exactly 1 battle in the last three days (we did not play a single one during the last 2, to be exact) of it because of rules making further battles too much of a risk.

Is that what you want? The best clans not participating for whatever reason?

Edit: Eliminating better competitors this way is a lot easier then gitting gud I would imagine.

Edited by Keyhand, 28 March 2018 - 08:14 AM.

Corruption_Clan #8 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45430 battles

Ill probably get flamed for this, but why not put the map into some kind of league set up.

You could base it on ELO etc but FAME, GOIN, CSA, MVPS be in league 1 for etc

Clans with like 500 ELO (I dont know any clans) are in league 5

Certain provinces can only be attacked/landed on if your ELO is below a certain part.

This will mean that the weaker clans will actually have an incentive to attack certain landings then when they get better, they start becoming banned from landing on those landings and will be forced to either progress upwards.

Obviously the bigger better provinces like western France on last global map can be attacked by anyone (these will be the provinces with high gold rewards)

Hopefully that makes sense, i dont know what else to suggest but it will stop clans prety much just not camping on a certain map space and not trying to fight the better clans.

Hope that makes sense, any questions or further explanations please quote this post and ill try to elaborate further

Edited by Corruption_Clan, 28 March 2018 - 08:12 PM.

FireflyDivision #9 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23773 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View PostCorruption_Clan, on 28 March 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

Ill probably get flamed for this, but why not put the map into some kind of league set up.

You could base it on ELO etc but FAME, GOIN, CSA, MVPS be in league 1 for etc

Clans with like 500 ELO (I dont know any clans) are in league 5

Certain provinces can only be attacked/landed on if your ELO is below a certain part.

This will mean that the weaker clans will actually have an incentive to attack certain landings then when they get better, they start becoming banned from landing on those landings and will be forced to either progress upwards.

Obviously the bigger better provinces like western France on last global map can be attacked by anyone.

Hopefully that makes sense, i dont know what else to suggest but it will stop clans prety much just not camping on a certain map space and not trying to fight the better clans.

Hope that makes sense, any questions or further explanations please quote this post and ill try to elaborate further

it was thought about but it's the easiest thing to abuse.

Think about it. It even happened before, when ELO mattered in campaigns. You saw clans yolocharging into the enemy or even into lakes in order to get lower ELO.

Besides, an elo-system punishes clans for being good. If you're just a little better than other clans around your level, you may be punished for it and be put against blue clans before you're ready for it. You also lose your provinces in the process.

Edited by FireflyDivision, 28 March 2018 - 08:13 PM.

Corruption_Clan #10 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45430 battles

View PostFireflyDivision, on 28 March 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

it was thought about but it's the easiest thing to abuse.

Think about it. It even happened before, when ELO mattered in campaigns. You saw clans yolocharging into the enemy or even into lakes in order to get lower ELO.

Besides, an elo-system punishes clans for being good. If you're just a little better than other clans around your level, you may be punished for it and be put against blue clans before you're ready for it. You also lose your provinces in the process.

I dont know at present how to fix the first thing.

but in regards to your 2nd point. you already do +-2 in randoms... Introduce this in the league things then its the clans choice to either pick on a weaker league clan or a higher ranked clan.... Works vice versa.. some clans bully them but then other clans want to step up and fight them.

only way you could lose a province is if you lose a battle, not saying taking the province off them for being good.

FireflyDivision #11 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23773 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View PostCorruption_Clan, on 28 March 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

but in regards to your 2nd point. you already do +-2 in randoms... Introduce this in the league things then its the clans choice to either pick on a weaker league clan or a higher ranked clan.... Works vice versa.. some clans bully them but then other clans want to step up and fight them.

only way you could lose a province is if you lose a battle, not saying taking the province off them for being good.

There are so many ways in which an elo-system can go wrong. I don't feel comfortable implementing an ELO-system into cw. Besides, CW is meant to be a sandbox of freedom. 

Silas001 #12 Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47400 battles
  • [JUST] JUST

I dont exactly get what you mean by 'leave the map unfrozen' (I guess usual CW including gold etc. only without the season-ranking?)
Anyway I like the seasons (including the season ranking purely based on Gold-Income) and also wiping the map every few months. I would just make seasons a bit longer (about 3 months) and have almost no breaks between them. (like 365 days/year-ish CW divided into seasons)

For the current update 1.0 with a lot of changes to most maps I am fine with 2-weeks break but we really dont need more than that and I dont see that happening anytime soon again so just let the map run all year like it used to and only freeze for Patchdays and the day after so your servers dont crash (+Christmas).

View PostFireflyDivision, on 28 March 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

There are so many ways in which an elo-system can go wrong. I don't feel comfortable implementing an ELO-system into cw. Besides, CW is meant to be a sandbox of freedom. 

Agreed. I would love to have a proper system for Ranked CW (regardless of having a map or just a leaderboard or whatever) but that doesnt really go together with the current open CW-map-sandbox-style and there are just too many ways to screw it up.

But WG still could/should do that seperately from CW (stronghold already lays a good foundation for that).

mango91 #13 Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 40842 battles
  • [ORKI] ORKI

map unfrozen means exactly that. Season ends, ranking is published, but provinces, HQ, riots and so on stay as they were on the last day useful for ranking

this way clans will keep fighting and have fun, with some gold income as well, while waiting for another Season with its rules and innovations

Edited by mango91, 29 March 2018 - 10:06 AM.

FireflyDivision #14 Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:07 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23773 battles
  • [L-REM] L-REM

View PostSilas001, on 29 March 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

I dont exactly get what you mean by 'leave the map unfrozen' (I guess usual CW including gold etc. only without the season-ranking?)

Yes.

Basically, at the moment, when a season ends, WG freezes the map for a whole month until they start the next season. Why is that needed? Why do they need to freeze the map? Why can't they just leave it unfrozen and let ppl who wanna play cw play cw until the next season starts?

Silas001 #15 Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47400 battles
  • [JUST] JUST

View PostFireflyDivision, on 29 March 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Yes.

Basically, at the moment, when a season ends, WG freezes the map for a whole month until they start the next season. Why is that needed? Why do they need to freeze the map? Why can't they just leave it unfrozen and let ppl who wanna play cw play cw until the next season starts?

Then Im completely with you :)

voulezvous #16 Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

eSport Manager

• WG Staff
  • 17080 battles

View PostCorruption_Clan, on 28 March 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

View PostFireflyDivision, on 28 March 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

View PostSilas001, on 29 March 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

Anyway I like the seasons (including the season ranking purely based on Gold-Income) and also wiping the map every few months. I would just make seasons a bit longer (about 3 months) and have almost no breaks between them. (like 365 days/year-ish CW divided into seasons)

For the current update 1.0 with a lot of changes to most maps I am fine with 2-weeks break but we really dont need more than that and I dont see that happening anytime soon again so just let the map run all year like it used to and only freeze for Patchdays and the day after so your servers dont crash (+Christmas).

Agreed. I would love to have a proper system for Ranked CW (regardless of having a map or just a leaderboard or whatever) but that doesnt really go together with the current open CW-map-sandbox-style and there are just too many ways to screw it up.

But WG still could/should do that seperately from CW (stronghold already lays a good foundation for that).

View PostSilas001, on 29 March 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

Then Im completely with you :)

*Taking notes furiously - keep at it guys. What you are discussing here is very interesting for me*

Silas001 #17 Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47400 battles
  • [JUST] JUST

View Postvoulezvous, on 03 April 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

*Taking notes furiously - keep at it guys. What you are discussing here is very interesting for me*

You just broke my sarcasm detector.

mango91 #18 Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 40842 battles
  • [ORKI] ORKI

View PostSilas001, on 03 April 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

You just broke my sarcasm detector.

VV is not sarcastic. Maybe 

Hooshee #19 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 35387 battles
  • [VAD-V] VAD-V
I really don't like these long breaks, or breaks at all. The old format of nearly full year CW (only campaigns were breking it) was far better. However, one thing I could imagine, that every saturday could be a break because of the War Games, which should not conflict with cw.

Unkel_Dolan #20 Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:36 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 25466 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN
remove seasons, have breaks only before a campaign starts. clans can decide if/when they want to get off the map to take a break

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users