Sand River Assault Gone?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

HundeWurst #21 Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:49 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 70102 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

I always liked it as defender as well as attacker. Actually I liked the attacking side more but I can see when kind of problems the average random player had with that map and mode.

However its weird that this has gone, one less fun bit of diversity, yet plenty of standard maps got into the new version untouched. Hello Live Oaks, still as stupid and biased as ever.

And the award for the worst balanced map goes to..... *drumms in the backround*... Mines. Why in all that is holy is Mines encounter still a thing. I mean Mines standard is already bullsheit but the encounter version brings it to a whole new level.

Well nvm. Its Wargaming.... If you think it cant get worse WG is there to proof you wrong.

Geno1isme #22 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

General

• Player
  • 43321 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Would be sad to see it being removed. OTOH WG has stated that they've mostly abandoned Assault Maps (not making any new ones) as they're tricky to balance and people can't really handle the mode, so not really surprising.

The_Georgian_One #23 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37232 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

And there's no communication regarding this? That cannot be...oh wait, it's WG...

Well to be honest, attacking on Sand River with 3/4 of your team camping hills at the back was the main reason why I turned the assault off. I will turn it back on now, looking forward to some Karelia games. Should help with marking some tanks.

Simeon85 #24 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 26 March 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

So, recently, you claimed to play for 'fun'.

Attack or defend, Assault Mode on this map was tremendous fun - yet all you seem to be able to muster is as statistical analysis.

Wonder if you even know the meaning of the word 'fun'?

I didn't realise you had been appointed the fun police and were able to dictate to others what they find fun :facepalm:

Being severely handicapped because of which side I spawn on, or getting a super easy win where you don't have to do much is not very fun IMO.

It would be like playing football where one team has no goalkeeper.  Doesn't sound fun or sporting to me, it would just make a mockery of the game.  I see it no different to facing OP tanks, teams should win because they play the best, not because they are handed a massive advantage from the get go. 

Sand River defenders got a huge advantage from the get go and had to do nothing to get that advantage. 

It's why I also don't play lower tiers, it's no challenge, if you like kicking puppies or being the kicked puppy then that is your prerogative but personally I find more fun in balanced maps. 

The map was broken and if they can't fix it then I am happy it is gone out of the rotation. 

Edited by Simeon85, 27 March 2018 - 08:42 AM.

brumbarr #25 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 27 March 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

And there's no communication regarding this? That cannot be...oh wait, it's WG...

Well to be honest, attacking on Sand River with 3/4 of your team camping hills at the back was the main reason why I turned the assault off. I will turn it back on now, looking forward to some Karelia games. Should help with marking some tanks.

They ruined karelia assault imo, the flattented the west side so its now useless for attacker and defenders.

The_Georgian_One #26 Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37232 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View Postbrumbarr, on 27 March 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

They ruined karelia assault imo, the flattented the west side so its now useless for attacker and defenders.

As an attacker I mostly go middle anyway, unless in a paper TD...(tho I spotted mid in Charioteer too). Will have to check the west... 

I actually prefer(ed) assault over standard on Karelia, let's see if changes will impact my opinion. 

_funitoo__ #27 Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1126 battles
Shame, I liked assault and hate standard mode on that map. But as usual I guess WG listens to tomato cries.

Lycopersicon #28 Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10610 battles
Oh crap, that's sad news. Together with Karelia, this was a map which worked far better in assault mode than any other - for me anyway.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 27 March 2018 - 10:04 AM.

Cobra6 #29 Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16333 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Sand River Assault was a great map/mode, for both teams, if you are a competent player. Never had an issue winning on this map from either side.

Cobra 6

Simeon85 #30 Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

It's still showing up on Vbaddict which is the last 30 days and seems to have the same number of games as the other 3 maps -

http://www.vbaddict.net/statistics_maps.php?tier=0&tanktype=0&nation=0&modeid=513&team=1&groupby=0&fieldname=won_lost_ratio

doriansky1 #31 Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29822 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

View PostWunderWurst, on 26 March 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

I always liked it as defender as well as attacker. Actually I liked the attacking side more but I can see when kind of problems the average random player had with that map and mode.

And the award for the worst balanced map goes to..... *drumms in the backround*... Mines. Why in all that is holy is Mines encounter still a thing. I mean Mines standard is already bullsheit but the encounter version brings it to a whole new level.

I also used to like attacking more, especially when there were no 3 arties int the enemy team, so you could play from the middle without being perma-stunned.

Regarding Mines, i think i will apply the "Alt-F4" method at some point. Playing Mines at tierX is just retarded, the only imaginable scenario which is more retarded than this is playing Mittengard at tier X. I mentioned this is another thread, it's baffling that WG removed 7-8 maps in 1.0 and Mines was not in that list. But tbh i don't think it should be removed, it should be restricted to tier V max.

Edited by doriansky1, 27 March 2018 - 12:18 PM.

TheWarrener #32 Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3610 battles

View Postdoriansky1, on 27 March 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

Regarding Mines, i think i will apply the "Alt-F4" method at some point. 

cough cough erlenberg

HJN #33 Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31795 battles
  • [DKPB] DKPB
The problem with this map / gamemode was to little time.
It normally took about 8 to 9 min for the assaulting team to wear the defending team down to a point where the A-team could make the final push, and then the time ran out.

An easy fix: Give this map 15 min of gameplay and it would be perfectly balanced.

SyJoMa #34 Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 25194 battles
One of my top3 maps and assault was fun too :( Yes, unbalanced, but assault often is.... very rewarding when you crack that defence by playing smart and making a well timed rush.

Darth_Yoda #35 Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 311 battles

View PostLycopersicon, on 27 March 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

Oh crap, that's sad news. Together with Karelia, this was a map which worked far better in assault mode than any other - for me anyway.

This.:(

Steeleye_Spam #36 Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29290 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'd say good riddance - this is one of the main reasons why I turned off assault mode. As defence you have such huge advantages, and the middle ramp gave you effective control over most of the map. As attacker, it was a lottery to whether the defending team had actually covered the 1 or 9 lines adequately, if so you were generally screwed.

I'd say good riddance - this is one of the main reasons why I turned off assault mode. As defence you have such huge advantages, and the middle ramp gave you effective control over most of the map. As attacker, it was a lottery to whether the defending team had actually covered the 1 or 9 lines adequately, if so you were generally screwed.

JCTagger #37 Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13327 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

In common with The_Georgian_One, I prefer Karelia in Assault over Standard - perhaps because I like to passive spot and snipe from under camo and Kemp Boosh... In Standard, then it's one corridor in the East, a big shooting gallery for campers across the middle, and not really enough cover at the west side...

Sand River assault, I (slightly) preferred Attack to Defend, but the thing with an unbalanced map in Randoms is that of course one has a (theoretically) even chance of getting the "better" or "worse" side; for example, I dislike defending and prefer Attack on Siegfried Line,  but seem to get each way round fairly evenly...

And yeah, Mines Assault is drivel, HD map or no, and really stinks above tier VII, in ANY game mode..

HundeWurst #38 Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 70102 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

View PostJCTagger, on 27 March 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

In common with The_Georgian_One, I prefer Karelia in Assault over Standard - perhaps because I like to passive spot and snipe from under camo and Kemp Boosh...

That might because the map is much more dynamic in assault compared to standard. In standard roughly 80% of the area are useless, in assault maybe only 50% maybe even less.

Also camping as the defender is a stupid idea. As long as the defender does not make sure to secure both flanks a loss is very common. With other words: The game rewards active and interactive gameplay. Every tank has a place, there is sniping, brawling, hulldown. Its a great map on assault, and most likely also rather balanced due to the symetric nature of said map.

One of my alltimes favorite, only (as per usual) gets ruined by heavy arty presence. But oh well which map, besides a few city maps, does not get completly gutted when more than 1 arty is present?

psychobear #39 Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19064 battles
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN

View PostL0ddy, on 26 March 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

Win or lose, assault mode was a decent bit of fun. Over the years we have lost some great maps.

RIP fun.

This^ +1.

I actually remember assault games on Prokhorovka, the base was where the actual encounter one is and the defending team would spawn on the hill. At first, the attacking team kept getting rekt pushing the mid (so it was arguably unbalanced in favor of the defenders), until people discovered the map had sides, too. Dammit WG, had some awesome fun on that map, attacking in the T29... :trollface:

Ontopic - i also have assault enabled and didn't get Sand River even once since the patch landed... in fact i only got Karelia a few times, is it the only map left in this game mode now?

Edited by psychobear, 27 March 2018 - 05:55 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #40 Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38578 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSimeon85, on 27 March 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

I didn't realise you had been appointed the fun police and were able to dictate to others what they find fun :facepalm:

Being severely handicapped because of which side I spawn on, or getting a super easy win where you don't have to do much is not very fun IMO.

It would be like playing football where one team has no goalkeeper.  Doesn't sound fun or sporting to me, it would just make a mockery of the game.  I see it no different to facing OP tanks, teams should win because they play the best, not because they are handed a massive advantage from the get go.

Sand River defenders got a huge advantage from the get go and had to do nothing to get that advantage.

It's why I also don't play lower tiers, it's no challenge, if you like kicking puppies or being the kicked puppy then that is your prerogative but personally I find more fun in balanced maps.

The map was broken and if they can't fix it then I am happy it is gone out of the rotation.

You got some nerve haven't you?

On more than one occasion you have berated, insulted and generally derided other players based on nothing more than the class of vehicle they like to have fun in.

Utter hypocrite.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users