67 replies to this topic

Erwin_Von_Braun #41 Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40003 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postpsychobear, on 27 March 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

This^ +1.

I actually remember assault games on Prokhorovka, the base was where the actual encounter one is and the defending team would spawn on the hill. At first, the attacking team kept getting rekt pushing the mid (so it was arguably unbalanced in favor of the defenders), until people discovered the map had sides, too. Dammit WG, had some awesome fun on that map, attacking in the T29... :trollface:

Ontopic - i also have assault enabled and didn't get Sand River even once since the patch landed... in fact i only got Karelia a few times, is it the only map left in this game mode now?

You mean we actually agree on something?

:ohmy:

View PostHJN, on 27 March 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

The problem with this map / gamemode was to little time.
It normally took about 8 to 9 min for the assaulting team to wear the defending team down to a point where the A-team could make the final push, and then the time ran out.

An easy fix: Give this map 15 min of gameplay and it would be perfectly balanced.

This^

psychobear #42 Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19198 battles
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 27 March 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

You mean we actually agree on something?

:ohmy:

I don't see a single reason why we wouldn't :amazed:

I mean, of course, we strongly disagree on arty, but there's endless other topics in this world (of tanks or not), so we're literally bound to agree at least on some of them :)

Erwin_Von_Braun #43 Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40003 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postpsychobear, on 27 March 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

I don't see a single reason why we wouldn't :amazed:

I mean, of course, we strongly disagree on arty, but there's endless other topics in this world (of tanks or not), so we're literally bound to agree at least on some of them :)

Agreed.

:)

Bordhaw #44 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12864 battles
Didn't think anyone had that option still ticked...or maybe they don't....

8126Jakobsson #45 Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 70064 battles

View Postpsychobear, on 27 March 2018 - 05:53 PM, said:

Ontopic - i also have assault enabled and didn't get Sand River even once since the patch landed... in fact i only got Karelia a few times, is it the only map left in this game mode now?

Siegfried Line is still here. The weakest of the small bunch.

Brodie_ #46 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81384 battles

I noticed this topic the other day & have since realised that I have not seen Sand river assault myself for the last several days.

Quite sad, as I never had a problem with it whichever side I was on.

Sand river is one of my favorite maps!

So I was always pleased to see it no matter which scenario it was.

Though I am very glad to see the end of Stalingrad, Mittenguard & Sacred valley.

Erwin_Von_Braun #47 Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40003 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBrodie_, on 28 March 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

I noticed this topic the other day & have since realised that I have not seen Sand river assault myself for the last several days.

Quite sad, as I never had a problem with it whichever side I was on.

Sand river is one of my favorite maps!

So I was always pleased to see it no matter which scenario it was.

Though I am very glad to see the end of Stalingrad, Mittenguard & Sacred valley.

I hear you man.

Don't want to bet my balls on this 100% but it does seem to be as dead as fried chicken:(

Shame really as, like your good self, this was one of my favourite maps.

Statistical analysis be dammed, this was an excellent mode on an excellent map and will be sorely missed:(

Afdass #48 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12991 battles
Now I know why I'm not getting Sand River Assault 4 times every 10 games... Was a good map/mode but was always ruined by arties.

Erwin_Von_Braun #49 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40003 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAfdass, on 28 March 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Now I know why I'm not getting Sand River Assault 4 times every 10 games... Was a good map/mode but was always ruined by arties.

Don't know 100% if it's true - but it sure seems that way.

Wonder if any mods would care to confirm/deny that this is the case...

Drakeot #50 Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16952 battles
  • [TZU2] TZU2

I've aced a good number of tanks when attacking on Sand River. :izmena:

I honestly always had more fun attacking than defending, though our team did run out of time on it far more often than any of the other Assault maps. It would be interesting to know what my win rate is both attacking and defending. I always thought it was a better map for Assault than Encounter or Standard.

And Mines Encounter does have to be one of the silliest things in the game. :facepalm:

Ba_nshee #51 Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 25826 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL

View PostAikl, on 26 March 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

Realistically I don't think Wargaming cares too much about assault, [...]

They are certainly not.

The 9.22 matchmaking change is slowly but surely killing the battle mode as far I can tell.

Block Quote

Matchmaking Improvements

9.22’S update will improve the matchmaker to allow tankers to encounter different Battle Modes (in your preferred list) more often.

Yeah, this one.

I said it after the patch with much disappointment:

http://forum.worldof...4#entry15419684

It is getting worse. It is almost impossible to get an assault game with tier 10 tanks before peak times. 

(If someone can make a mod/script/idk, which can search for 18 seconds, then start it again automatically, then I will be grateful forever! : )) )

And now Sand River gone. Plus, players are generally not liking the new Erlenberg (?). So less and less players in the q. 

grensu #52 Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 33946 battles
  • [POWNY] POWNY
oh i loved attacking on sand river assault .. playing the midridge and just eating away at the enemies was so much fun

Edited by grensu, 28 March 2018 - 11:38 PM.

alienslive #53 Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 91873 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
RIP assault on sand river :( I loved it with LT and MT in attack

Simeon85 #54 Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 27 March 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

You got some nerve haven't you?

On more than one occasion you have berated, insulted and generally derided other players based on nothing more than the class of vehicle they like to have fun in.

Utter hypocrite.

:facepalm:

This is typical you, your rubbish gets pointed out for what it is and you instantly go victim mode instead of accepting what you said was wrong and stupid. 

I also don't think you know what hypocrite means, I have never said people can't have fun playing arty, that is their prerogative, doesn't mean their fun should be at expense of everyone else or a balanced game. You can't dictate to me what I find fun and I don't find sand river assault fun because it was unbalanced. 

If anyone is a hypocrite it is you, trying to dictate to people what they find fun and attacking them as soon as they have an opinion you don't like, yet you go around accusing others of doing just that. That is a hypocrite. 

Just stop embarrassing yourself.

Edited by Simeon85, 29 March 2018 - 09:40 AM.

Long_Range_Sniper #55 Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

General

• Player
  • 34133 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 26 March 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

So, recently, you claimed to play for 'fun'.

Attack or defend, Assault Mode on this map was tremendous fun - yet all you seem to be able to muster is as statistical analysis.

Wonder if you even know the meaning of the word 'fun'?

The fact you're raising "fun" and trying to use that as part of an argument shows your actual level of understanding.

I defy anyone to define "fun", and you linked fun to a comment on balance. The comment was about the 65% skew in winrate to the defending team. That's not an even playing field.

I think football is fun, but I don't want to play on a pitch where I have to run uphill to attack. If you like cricket, would you be happy with Australian players tampering with your balls?

If you think it's fun to hard camp and force the enemy to die as they try to push, and if you're attacking if you think it's fun to work hard against a tough defence then that's totally down to you. Some players like going for 3xMOE because it's hard and not achieved by everyone. Some people just want to press W and drive a tank. Both probably think it's "fun" but the game is a level playing field for both.

Sand river assault was not a level playing field, irrespective of what fun you individually took from that mode.

View PostSimeon85, on 29 March 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

Its removal also removes the embarrassment of saying "Huh, I bet we get Sand River assault" in the queue, as your toon choose tanks totally unsuited to that mode.

Erwin_Von_Braun #56 Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40003 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSimeon85, on 29 March 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

:facepalm:

This is typical you, your rubbish gets pointed out for what it is and you instantly go victim mode instead of accepting what you said was wrong and stupid.

I also don't think you know what hypocrite means, I have never said people can't have fun playing arty, that is their prerogative, doesn't mean their fun should be at expense of everyone else or a balanced game. You can't dictate to me what I find fun and I don't find sand river assault fun because it was unbalanced.

If anyone is a hypocrite it is you, trying to dictate to people what they find fun and attacking them as soon as they have an opinion you don't like, yet you go around accusing others of doing just that. That is a hypocrite.

I really don't see where the 'victim' thing is?

Found something you may be interested in tho...

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/forum-35/announcement-124-forum-rules/

I like Number 8

Erwin_Von_Braun #57 Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40003 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 29 March 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

The fact you're raising "fun" and trying to use that as part of an argument shows your actual level of understanding.

I defy anyone to define "fun", and you linked fun to a comment on balance. The comment was about the 65% skew in winrate to the defending team. That's not an even playing field.

I think football is fun, but I don't want to play on a pitch where I have to run uphill to attack. If you like cricket, would you be happy with Australian players tampering with your balls?

If you think it's fun to hard camp and force the enemy to die as they try to push, and if you're attacking if you think it's fun to work hard against a tough defence then that's totally down to you. Some players like going for 3xMOE because it's hard and not achieved by everyone. Some people just want to press W and drive a tank. Both probably think it's "fun" but the game is a level playing field for both.

Sand river assault was not a level playing field, irrespective of what fun you individually took from that mode.

Its removal also removes the embarrassment of saying "Huh, I bet we get Sand River assault" in the queue, as your toon choose tanks totally unsuited to that mode.

Surely, fun is at the behest of the person seeking it?

I am curious about one thing tho, given the amount of 'broken' things in this game, is there anything that meats your criteria of 'balanced' and therefore 'fun'?

Long_Range_Sniper #58 Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

General

• Player
  • 34133 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 April 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Is there anything that meats your criteria of 'balanced' and therefore 'fun'?

Maps have to be objectively balanced to ensure an equality of opportunity for players irrespective of where they spawn. This is about fairness.

Tanks don't have to be balanced to be fun. That's just down to subjective personal preference. An unbalanced tank can be fun and bad for the game at the same time. Fun and balance are not mutually exclusive.

An unbalanced map can be fun for certain players, but that doesn't make it fair because you have no choice over the map you're given. You do have a choice over the tank you choose to play, and how to play it.

Erwin_Von_Braun #59 Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40003 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 04 April 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Maps have to be objectively balanced to ensure an equality of opportunity for players irrespective of where they spawn. This is about fairness.

Tanks don't have to be balanced to be fun. That's just down to subjective personal preference. An unbalanced tank can be fun and bad for the game at the same time. Fun and balance are not mutually exclusive.

An unbalanced map can be fun for certain players, but that doesn't make it fair because you have no choice over the map you're given. You do have a choice over the tank you choose to play, and how to play it.

Balanced, or not, a good many players loved Sand River irrespective of the spawn point (some well known ones even said so here) and I was very much one of them.

brumbarr #60 Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 April 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Balanced, or not, a good many players loved Sand River irrespective of the spawn point (some well known ones even said so here) and I was very much one of them.

agreed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users