pen apcr update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Kuolemansoturi #1 Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 31183 battles
  • [GG_EZ] GG_EZ
Since the update I feel that its been really hard to pen any targets with apcr. I play with Centurion AX and cannot penetrate sides of heavy tanks or often even light tanks. I shot kv4 straight in front with 264 mm pen in turrets flat surface and could not pen. it has most 180 mm armor. wtf? Did something change in update?

Dava_117 #2 Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17607 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostKuolemansoturi, on 27 March 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Since the update I feel that its been really hard to pen any targets with apcr. I play with Centurion AX and cannot penetrate sides of heavy tanks or often even light tanks. I shot kv4 straight in front with 264 mm pen in turrets flat surface and could not pen. it has most 180 mm armor. wtf? Did something change in update?

You know that where mantlet and main armour overlap, KV-4 effective armour reach 360+mm didn't you?

Also take into account APCR got just 2° of normalization. So the effevtive pen on sloped armour is lower compared to same pen AP.

Kuolemansoturi #3 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 31183 battles
  • [GG_EZ] GG_EZ

"You know that where mantlet and main armour overlap, KV-4 effective armour reach 360+mm didn't you?"

Yes i know. but I took the shot between mantlet and hull but still no pen.

Jigabachi #4 Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Replay?

And just btw: we get those "Did X change"-threads after every single update. So far we had three of them, I think.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17607 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostKuolemansoturi, on 27 March 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

"You know that where mantlet and main armour overlap, KV-4 effective armour reach 360+mm didn't you?"

Yes i know. but I took the shot between mantlet and hull but still no pen.

Marker are not accurate at 100% so you may actually have hit the hard spot, but as Jigabachi said, a replay would help to find out what happened.

Surely the new graphic engine has nothing to do with penetration mechanics.

Edited by Dava_117, 27 March 2018 - 09:53 PM.

Easymeat72 #6 Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22018 battles
  • [DUDE] DUDE

View PostDava_117, on 27 March 2018 - 07:50 PM, said:

You know that where mantlet and main armour overlap, KV-4 effective armour reach 360+mm didn't you?

Also take into account APCR got just 2° of normalization. So the effevtive pen on sloped armour is lower compared to same pen AP.

View PostKuolemansoturi, on 27 March 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

I would normally be suspicious of responding to 'complaints' about penetrations being 'fixed' after an update. Too many random factors involved to draw accurate conclusions BUT having said that I am keeping an open mind on this one because since update 1 there has been a very noticeable change in the games I have played with my T10 patton. Despite the proliferation of super heavies and op Russian with near impregnable frontal slabs at the top tiers as more noobs buy their way to the top there has been a marked deterioration in effective shots over the last few days even considering the rather dubious starting point. Now it could just be part of the cycle of randomness but at the moment my pen rates are pretty abysmal in tier 10.

Couple of games stick in my mind 14/4 pen rates in a game where there was nothing special about the opposition or ranges involved and i was t10 in a -2 spread.  Oh yes and most of those were premium cos I got fed up of bouncing, made FA difference...  bouncing prem round off the side of a t62a at 5 metres, last of 3 bounces in a row. Bounced prem round of the front of a Skorpion G at 30 metres...not angled...twice in a row, amazingly either would have been a kill shot....

So watching brief but something doesn't feel right.

Thinking might be the RNG spread on penetration has been widened as I'm also having some dubious results on standard rounds, which should not really be penetrating, but surprise surprise go through...

If i was being uncharitable maybe WG want us to stock up on more premium rounds to compensate for their increased unreliabllity.... but surely they wouldn't be so greedy would they....  

TheDayWeDie #7 Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:37 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16137 battles

It was my feeling too until I watched my replays and see that, in fact, due to the new design, I was trying to shoot tanks from a greater distance than usual because, now, I can see them (maps are more flat). Same problem with accuracy too.

In other words, it's easier now to see more tanks than before, but look at your reticle to know how far are they from you.

Speaking of APCR, this ammo lose its pen proportional with the distance.

Aikl #8 Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostTheDayWeDie, on 28 March 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:

(...)

Speaking of APCR, this ammo lose its pen proportional with the distance.

Another common myth of WoT. While common logic and physics would suggest that, it's not true for WoT. It's an individual value per shell. Many APCR rounds lose relatively less penetration at range, and many are flat-out better up to 500m; one exception being the BL-10.

Also, there's no rule that states APCR should have more shell velocity or more pen either, and of course is much weaker against angled armor than an AP shell with the same nominal penetration value. Long story short, APCR is a balancing factor/marketing trick more than anything else. It makes e.g. the T26E5 Patriot look much better than it actually is (of course it's not a weak tank, but it's very evident in e.g. TBs that it has a harder time against e.g. IS-3s).

vasilinhorulezz #9 Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21244 battles

Accuracy, and as of now penetration are always stealth nerfed, every patch.

:popcorn:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users