game plan Churchill VII bottom tier

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Lycopersicon #1 Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10600 battles

Calling all expert Churchill players!

I went stamp collecting today, and being in masochistic mood, decided to play Churchill VII as much as I could take it. Not an enjoyable tank, tbh, but I was kind of intrigued on what the hell is the optimal way to play such tank when not top tier. I racked up a bunch of bottom tier games, most of which gave the expected result of the beautiful map being throughly mopped with my well-armoured arse. I'm not posting replays, they are of no interest, but I'm interested in what game plan people would make in each of these games, so I'm posting screenshots (mostly from the beginning of the game) and a short description of how it went.

In pretty much any other tank, I would have some idea how to put myself into use. In a Churchill, however, that has lots of armour (which is as good as nothing when most enemies are much bigger) and nothing else at all, and definitely not the speed to say "freck you, I am a medium now" as I would do in a faster heavy tank... Go and make a sandwitch? Surely, I cannot eat that much.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Finally, something completely different, in case someone really wants to watch a replay. Here's a top tier game for a change, where I figured that I had lots of armour and not much else, not even the gun depression to play those bloody hills, so the plan to snail my way to B2 as if enemies did not exist seemed like the most natural. Unfortunately, the entire enemy team could somehow trample on my back unhindered and eventually managed to overcome the armour problem, so it didn't turn out too well. So, again, what the hell would you have done instead?

Edited by Lycopersicon, 30 March 2018 - 03:27 PM.

Bordhaw #2 Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10828 battles
Probably why nobody plays British heavies.

RamRaid90 #3 Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20579 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBordhaw, on 30 March 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

Probably why nobody plays British heavies.

​Tier V - VII

VIII+ are excellent.

chiggy #4 Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30612 battles
My plan was to sell every Churchill I ever owned in the British tree. Then purchase the Russian Churchill III. There are no lies with that tank.

crnakoza #5 Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54995 battles

Churchill VII in tier 8 game? Roll over and die. It is actually a decent tank in tier 6 and 7 games, but dreadfully outclassed by pretty much anything tier 8. Load skill ammo and pray.

I have to say I rather liked the Churchill I and Black Prince. Churchill VII I'm undecided on precisely because of tier 8 issue.

Lycopersicon #6 Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10600 battles

View Postchiggy, on 30 March 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

My plan was to sell every Churchill I ever owned in the British tree. Then purchase the Russian Churchill III. There are no lies with that tank.

There are only lies with Church III: it is really really bad for moving on in the British heavy line. Also, my soviet heavy crews are fine as they are, so the III would unfortunately be absolutely useless. Looks like I have to stick to the VII :)

View Postcrnakoza, on 30 March 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Churchill VII in tier 8 game? Roll over and die. It is actually a decent tank in tier 6 and 7 games, but dreadfully outclassed by pretty much anything tier 8. Load skill ammo and pray.

I have to say I rather liked the Churchill I and Black Prince. Churchill VII I'm undecided on precisely because of tier 8 issue.

Yep, that's how it feels: in tier 7 game, the armour is still an argument and the gun still hurts - if you can make it to where the enemies are while there is still some fighting going on. But in any case, I suspect that there are better and worse ways to roll over and die even in T8 games, and given that most of the games will inevitably be T8 nowadays, it looks like improved methods of being the floorwipe could be the best bet for doing better, so I'm looking for any ideas.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 30 March 2018 - 09:25 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #7 Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 25542 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

most heavies up to tier 8 sadly stand no chance in battles where they are bottom tier.

going to classic "heavy lines" ends very often in premature death.

the armor works best if far away from the enemy.

best way to make credits is to shoot higher tier tanks, possibly with premmo. premmo really helps getting better results. if you shoot tanks one tier over you frontally, the use premmo. 2 tiers above, shoot premmo even whe flanking them. every shot counts to kill them before they kill you and in these situatiobs nobody can afford a bounce.

so my tactics *NOW* (don!t look at what I did years ago) as a tier 5 to 7 bottom tier heavy tank is to hang back, second line support, seek out some position with arty cover and take opportunity shots at higher tier scouts or flank the enemy.

places that are absolute no-gos are places likely to be covered by higher tier enemy TDs and HTs.

what i would have done in your examples:

-overlord: my first position would have been B9 to get hull down there while unspotted and defend against lights and meds, if spotted to C8, the big bunker there offers arty cover while still being able to defend. if the battle progresses well, drive down the road to possibly get a couple shots at their arty.

-el halluf: i have also suffered there driving slow tank, even when top tier when a couple of try hard statpadders were on the team. 

maybe on that map the best spot would be near the TDs (hard kemping) to take shots at attacking lights and meds. if battle goes well, forget about driving up to the enemy, your tank is too slow. better try to win some capture points if playing encounter

-mannerheim line or whatever this map is called... i think your tactics were  good. could also have gone to e1 to support other tanks there.

-murowanka... my opinion is that firing with a bottom tier potato gun at top tier heavies is never a good idea (except on tiger  II and similar HP pinatas). on this map i do one of 2 things, if there are other players attacking the forst i follow as a second line support tank. if not enough players attack in the forest, i try to take position in arty covrer behind a house and ready to suppprt defense from there, or if no other tank defends that position, i would probly join the TDs on the hill

-next map of which i always forget the name, taking a slow bottom tier heavy to a lights and med fighting spot sounds dangerous to me. I'd rather try to support the meds by taking position at B4, where it's also possible to cover the middle and take some cheap shots at lights.

if things surn sour on this flank, i would retreat early (slow tank!) to A7, from where you can still spot, take some opportunity shots and defend base

-himmelsdorf: city map, bottom heavy... not a good combination. but this is a game wherr logic can help: too slow for the hill, too weak for bib banana street, too weak for TD death alley... leaves the railtracks . go hulldown behind the flat waggon and hope for no arty and no tds there.

all the above is just my opinion, others will probably say i'm a noob, lol.

i haven't watched the replay yet, but your short description of the battle  sounds like you had been going to some place alone, without team support.

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 30 March 2018 - 10:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users