3-5-7 matchmaking at Tier V.... really?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

myxiplx #1 Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18008 battles

WTF wargaming.  Playing a Tier V heavy, the French BDR G1 B I've just had two battles vs Tier VII opponents.

What exactly is a Tier V heavy supposed to do in a match like that?  I can't see any of the lower tier tanks, I can't snipe, my armour is paper, and the majority of the enemy team have better accuracy, dispersion and aiming time.

If I play my butt off I can maybe, maybe, do a fifth of the damage of the top tier enemy players.  And if I get a map like Westfield...  literally zero useful I can do on that map.  I can't contest Tier VI or VII heavies, so can't fight the north. I've no vision and can't snipe, so I can't go south.  I basically get to drive around slowly until I die.  I think I managed to find one penetrating shot I could take, for a grand total of 96dmg.

The difference between tier V tanks and tier VII is utterly enormous, why are they fighting in the same battle???

Edited by myxiplx, 31 March 2018 - 07:47 AM.

MeetriX #2 Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:50 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18576 battles
You have been very lucky. Tier5 have always saw tier7.

SABAOTH #3 Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36420 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postmyxiplx, on 31 March 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

WTF wargaming.  Playing a Tier V heavy, the French BDR G1 B I've just had two battles vs Tier VII opponents.

What exactly is a Tier V heavy supposed to do in a match like that?  I can't see any of the lower tier tanks, I can't snipe, my armour is paper, and the majority of the enemy team have better accuracy, dispersion and aiming time.

If I play my butt off I can maybe, maybe, do a fifth of the damage of the top tier enemy players.  And if I get a map like Westfield...  literally zero useful I can do on that map.  I can't contest Tier VI or VII heavies, so can't fight the north. I've no vision and can't snipe, so I can't go south.  I basically get to drive around slowly until I die.  I think I managed to find one penetrating shot I could take, for a grand total of 96dmg.

The difference between tier V tanks and tier VII is utterly enormous, why are they fighting in the same battle???

You know, when KV 2 was still KV 1 (and it was a tier 5), is when I learned what a Maus Trap medal is.

V-VII is not too bad

Edited by SABAOTH, 31 March 2018 - 07:53 AM.

evilchaosmonkey #4 Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16539 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

It's the same feeling in a medium tank, you're not alone.

However, the tiers are still somewhat dominated by inexperienced players at those levels.

Play cautiously, set traps and wait for them to come out side on.  Does work most of the time, but as soon as shot trading starts - it's back to the garage usually.

Homer_J #5 Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've no vision and can't snipe, 

If you are spotting your own targets when you are sniping then you are doing it wrong.

I can't contest Tier VI or VII heavies,

Assuming you have the 90mm, it does as much damage per shot as the Tiger I and has enough penetration with standard ammo to penetrate the Tiger.  You just have much less health so don't get shot.

JocMeister #6 Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20609 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

BDR is one of the few HTs in the game that actually works with pretty much any MM.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62857 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Before tier 5 HT's saw E100's. So count your blessings. Then again, you make it sound like your G1B's armor is super effective vs even tier 5 guns. Then again you have a 90mm with 240 alpha. You can overmatch more targets then a 75 and 76mm HT's on tier 5. Pen is not terrible either vs alpha. I suspect if you got +1, that 90mm would go in a second.  And WG did say not even a week ago that +2 MM won't change anytime soon for tier 4+. So if you don't like it, don't play the tier.

If you refuse to go the HT line, then go the medium line. I'm sure you can farm even a Comet with support if your tier 7 meds. As no one says you HAVE to go the HT line either tbh in a + 2. As you made it sound like it was your job to brawl with a T29 even when you have tier 7 HT's. Jobs chances with MM spreads. No point if you feel 100% useless. If you still do go the HT line. Remember that damage is not the only way to farm XP. Even tho your gun is more then good enough for the Tiger's flat 100mm armor. And you more or less have a 100% pen chance on the T29's MG port and lower plate or the IS cupola. Just go for it when they reload after firing on your tier 7's. No point to go forward to trade when they have a shell in the barrel.

Edited by Balc0ra, 31 March 2018 - 09:28 AM.

Jigabachi #8 Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17753 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
You are really bringing this after over 15k matches played?
You should know how to deal with those situations by now...

DracheimFlug #9 Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 8933 battles

Over 16k battles.... I do not usually ask this, but did you just buy this account or something?

myxiplx #10 Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18008 battles

lol, no it's just been a while since I played Tier V.  Most of my games are tier 8-9 mediums and lights, but I wanted to get some heavies levelled up.

I'd forgotten just how bad it is playing a bottom tier heavy in matches like this.  I mean christ, the BDR struggles against the T-34-85M.  Accuracy is horrible, vision is horrible, it's just a painful experience.

myxiplx #11 Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18008 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 31 March 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

If you are spotting your own targets when you are sniping then you are doing it wrong.

No, I mean I can't spot with my bad view range, so I die without even being able to fire back.  And I can't sit back in cover and snipe because the gun penetration, accuracy and aiming times are so bad.

Spotting your own targets when sniping is a job for my lights or TDs :-)

ThinGun #12 Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32841 battles
Translated: Waaah waaah waah.  I hate being low tier.  Why can't WG give me a special concession so I'm always able to swagger round the field at the top of the pile?  Sort it out, I pay nearly 10 euros a month for this.  Well, my Mum does.

Homer_J #13 Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmyxiplx, on 31 March 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostHomer_J, on 31 March 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

No, I mean I can't spot with my bad view range, 

Yes, you are a heavy tank.  Is this the first heavy line you have played?

You have a 240 damage gun on a tier where 160 is pretty good.  If you have a problem with penetration then use the 2 key.  Aim time and accuracy look OK to me when you take into consideration you do nearly twice the damage per shot of most other tier V heavies.

myxiplx #14 Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18008 battles

View PostThinGun, on 31 March 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Translated: Waaah waaah waah.  I hate being low tier.  Why can't WG give me a special concession so I'm always able to swagger round the field at the top of the pile?  Sort it out, I pay nearly 10 euros a month for this.  Well, my Mum does.

No, I'm quite happy being low tier.  One tier down is fine.  In my lights two tiers down isn't a problem.

But two tiers down at Tier V in a heavy is just painful.  You're utterly useless on the field.

Bad_Mojo_incoming #15 Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19397 battles
  • [THIK] THIK

The 3-5-7 template for the MM is actually perfect, imo. The problem is that when you play tier 4-8 you get to be low tier about 75-80% percent of the time. This percentage should be worked down to around 50% and then the MM would be as good as it could get.

No one likes to be low tier, I understand that, but I do love a challenge, when I'm driving my statpadder VK16 Leopard in tier 7.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users