"Wet Soapstone" Physics since 1.0 need fixing.

Everything has been treated with vasiline

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

Cobra6 #61 Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

While I do enjoy the discussion about whether it is realistic, can we keep in mind this is a game designed to entertain and that we had a physics system before that worked fine? There really was no need to suddenly make rocks super slippery, if it was about tanks getting stuck on certain rocks in the game the hitboxes of those rocks should be addressed.

It's simply not fun to slide around like a maniac if you touch a bit of stone and neither is it fun to flip yourself with a stone fence like some have pointed out.

Cobra 6

Simeon85 #62 Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1141 battles

Yeh it's a joke, just had it happen to me on Lakeville, an RU pushed my 13-105 into the water even though I have the more powerful engine because apparently my tank was on ice as it had a tiny little bit of it on the rock.

It used to be the other way round until they fixed it, rock acted like quicksand, even if you had a tiny section of your tank on it and now it's the reverse, it's like ice.

Completely stupid and should be fixed, it seems like a bug to me. 

Aikl #63 Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27199 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Guessing slippery rocks is the easiest solution to prevent accidental climb routes. Kind of silly, but hopefully something that will be adressed in upcoming patches. 

What really gets to me is that many positions turn into full-on commitments because there's one safe escape route - but typical 'sniper platforms' still enjoy the typical combination of a rock, a bush and a slope steep enough to provide a quick reverse getaway. Blergh.

Cobra6 #64 Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Yeah they are a solution to a minor problem but they cause big issues in general gameplay, you just *keep* sliding off even gentle gradients which makes it impossible to be sneaky if you try to get around or get out of dodge.

Cobra 6

Simeon85 #65 Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1141 battles

View PostAikl, on 03 April 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

Guessing slippery rocks is the easiest solution to prevent accidental climb routes. Kind of silly, but hopefully something that will be adressed in upcoming patches. 

What really gets to me is that many positions turn into full-on commitments because there's one safe escape route - but typical 'sniper platforms' still enjoy the typical combination of a rock, a bush and a slope steep enough to provide a quick reverse getaway. Blergh.

The blocking or limiting of many routes is one of the most annoying things with the HD maps, I am all for blocking some of the retarded boosted climbs like they used to have on Redshire or Sacred Valley, but the ones that just provided extra ways inbetween places were fine.

Like Abbey is now essentially an even smaller map because you can't get up on sections of the 8 line nor can you get into the Abbey any other way but the main entrance. 

Kicky92 #66 Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16235 battles
  • [EMRYS] EMRYS
Twice ive tried scouting on Lakeville, twice ive slipped into the lake because of the soap stone rocks and the fact that my engine cuts out while trying to rescue myself. Not fun WG needs fixing, its making me look bad.... 

Negativvv #67 Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14831 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

There's a really annoying rock patch when you're the north team trying to drive a LT up to the light house hill top.

Even the best power to weight ratio LTs will slip off that rock k and it can mean you get shot, or even get up the hill so late that you lose it completely...

Cobra6 #68 Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I managed to drop one small "balcony" down near the lighthouse and I could not climb back up anymore because my tank kept sliding off.

In the end I had to drop down at the back and my tank got stuck in a little crater thing for quite a while.

Cobra 6

Palora #69 Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 26671 battles
It's a shame that WG spends all of that time paying for people with experience in tank history and tank driving but all they do is use them as PR agents while they never bothered to ask them how tracks actually work. 

LCpl_Jones #70 Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13867 battles

bloody rocks :facepalm:

doesn't even need to be big rocks, little rock patch of unable to move or getting dragged off line because the horror of horror i have brushed a rock :amazed:

DutchBaron_ #71 Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 12756 battles
  • [FDAD] FDAD
The slippery rocks are really annoying IMO, they have obviously done it to counter the mountain goats, but with the new oiled rocks they have pretty much turned every little drop in a suicide gamble. This limits your gameplay even more to the corridor meta. Also I think that blocking of climbs is a better solution for mountain goats and then only climbs that would get you to into otherwise unreachable positions. Climbs like on the center hill of mines and in cliff could have stayed IMO, since these were just basically shortcuts to reachable positions. Off course there would always new climbs that are found but if WG activly manages it would be really nice. But I guess I am just daydreaming...

Cobra6 #72 Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16562 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Mountain should be countered by having an actual level artist go in and manually fix problematic areas by adding rocks or changing slope angles, not by greasing all the stone surfaces in the maps with soap and water as this affects not only movement on slopes but also on flat ground.

Cobra 6

Baldrickk #73 Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32300 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
You can see just how bad it is in the football mode.  You can surf sideways around the corners despite hitting them at a low speed.
You just keep on going until gravity finally pulls you off

LCpl_Jones #74 Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13867 battles

LCpl_Jones #75 Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13867 battles

yep still a thing....

gg wg such stronk gameplay

Derethim #76 Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:58 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18891 battles

Before surface borders were removed, tanks were too heavy and too hard to push.

You could literally park a T95 on the banana road and block it completely.

Right now we have the opposite problem - tanks behave erratically. Hopefully, when they introduce wheeled vehicles they will adjust physics accordingly. Like Cobra said, most tanks are soapy as hell.

sabresteel #77 Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17093 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSimeon85, on 04 April 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

The blocking or limiting of many routes is one of the most annoying things with the HD maps, I am all for blocking some of the retarded boosted climbs like they used to have on Redshire or Sacred Valley, but the ones that just provided extra ways inbetween places were fine.

Like Abbey is now essentially an even smaller map because you can't get up on sections of the 8 line nor can you get into the Abbey any other way but the main entrance. 

This /\ 

That part of the HD maps is such a backward negative step.

SirGlorg #78 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

Private

• Player
  • 37817 battles
  • [_VOLE] _VOLE

Is this topic getting any attention? The sliding is trully retarded. I cannot count the number of times I drove past these "so beautiful rocks", and just by crossing with one of my tracks over these rocks, lost control of my tank for a few seconds, gaining control only after the tank lost speed and got turned sideways to the enemies. And I'm not talking just about "sliding over a cliff", I'm also talking about ridiculous situations UNDER the hills. It just happened to me beneath the lighthouse. There are many decorative rocks at the bottom, that scream for being used as cover, but when anyone operates a tank around this cover, if the tracks get in touch with these rocks, you loose the control and the physics often pushes you out. I hope it's needless to say that this has devastating impact if anyone tries to minimize exposure/sidescrape in a peek-a-boo fight. I'm not saying it happens every game, but I hit this issue many times now and when it happens, it's REALLY annoying.

What's the point of the silly behavior of the stones anyway? Is it so impossible to design a booster-less map without a platform that completely removes player's control over the tank? Needles to speak about the death-trap of a cliff sides on the Overlord map - saying that the soap-rocks are a feature of that map design would be ridiculous.

Please, fix the physics of these rocks. Please... just ... please

Inappropriate_noob #79 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:34 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17627 battles
Like always we have to live with it because we know nothing will get done.

ValkyrionX #80 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:36 AM

Major

• 55606 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
yeah you right, after 1.0 rocks are like wet soap...nonsense physic

Also tagged with Everything, has, been, treated, with, vasiline

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users