Jump to content


Strategy to play German tanks


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

MOTA_BOY #1 Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 10744 battles
  • 97
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011

Camp in base cause if you get spoted = instant death due to super awesome superior Rashan tanks, and your armor = 0 when you try to sidescrape or expose non existent " no pen spots" and pen every 3rd of 4th shoot if lucky, no repositioning or even turning around cause of asthmatic utter garbage engine power?

 

What strategy do you use in tier 8> German HTs and TDs?



gunslingerXXX #2 Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 11051 battles
  • 2,006
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
  • Member since:
    11-16-2014
Roll over and die?

Sfinski #3 Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 31728 battles
  • 2,632
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
  • Member since:
    09-26-2013
So why play them?

jack_timber #4 Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 33432 battles
  • 2,076
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014
Press the 2 key..... Works wonders:)

Scorilo #5 Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 4309 battles
  • 142
  • Member since:
    11-02-2011

View Postjack_timber, on 02 April 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

Press the 2 key..... Works wonders:)

 

Pretty much :)

leggasiini #6 Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 14218 battles
  • 6,194
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    12-01-2012
Git gud, wehraboo

uglycousin #7 Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 45094 battles
  • 3,707
  • [TFUK] TFUK
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View PostMOTA_BOY, on 02 April 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

Camp in base cause if you get spoted = instant death due to super awesome superior Rashan tanks, and your armor = 0 when you try to sidescrape or expose non existent " no pen spots" and pen every 3rd of 4th shoot if lucky, no repositioning or even turning around cause of asthmatic utter garbage engine power?

 

What strategy do you use in tier 8> German HTs and TDs?

 

My usual gameplay is something like this:

 

In Lowe ( I see you have one ) go hulldown whenever possible. If bottom tier I go second line and support, if top tier (rarely happens but it happens) go brawl frontline. Lowe is a very good tier 8 HT right now, even if it has terrible dpm. It has that good gun that barely needs premium shells.

 

Tiger II. I do love the tigers ... but ... but this one is a bit of a turd. So I try to use the amazing gun it has by being a support tank. Most of the times it works. I even managed to get 3 MOEs on mine ( I don't go for marks usually ).

 

E75. A beast of a HT. Not as great as it used to, but still good. I like to take mine in the front line and wiggle wiggle so the enemy has a hard time aiming and penning my turret. Sidescrapes well enough. Gun is good enough to not care about tier 10s.

 

VK 45 P is not as good as it used to, but the lower plate can still troll people. Sidescrape a lot and try not to get isolated. 

 

E100... while the flat turret is a HEAT magnet, as long as you angle it well and try to hide your lowerplate ... it can still be a force to be feared. That 750 alpha gun carries quite a punch. And the large caliber HE is amazing against hulldown or sidescraping enemies. Not to mention picking up low HP targets.

 

Maus. It's the freakin Maus. If top tier, Maus does not give a damn. In a full tier 10 battle just try not to get isolated and you should be just fine. Just choose your flank well and angle that armor. :)

 

Panzer VII. While the turret gun mantlet weakpoint is dumb AF, and it has quite a few other weakspots that make sidescraping useless against a knowledgeable adversary ... the tank is quite fun. It has the Jagdtiger gun if I recall right. And I quite enjoy it. Not being very popular, a lot of people don't know where to shoot it and you get away with quite a few mistakes.

 

Jageroo is slow AF, turns like a boat, but that 1000 alpha gun is scary enough. When it hits what you aimed at. ... Hide that lower plate and don't be afraid to help your team push. that armor is troll enough even against premium shells as long as you angle it well. Wiggle wiggle. :great:

 

Jagdtiger. Have not played that one in a looooooong time but was thinking about rebuying it. I used to like pushing frontline with it, but right now whenever I meet one I just press 2 and it melts away, or flank it and laugh at it's puny attempts to turn around. The gun is awesome but powercreep has not been kind to it. You can still have good games in it if you don't over extend and try to stay close to friendlies. But then again, this can apply to anything. :)

 

Ferdinand has a very good gun ... and ... erm ... decent armor for when top tier if they don't know the Tiger P hull weakspots. If bottom tier try to stay with some friendlies and put that gun to work.

 

 

It would be wise to carry at least 30% premium ammo loadout for when faced against some nasty situations. What works for all tanks is good positioning and good situational awareness. Stop whining and try harder. :) You can do it. :)

 

 



Simeon85 #8 Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 1097 battles
  • 3,015
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013

View Postleggasiini, on 02 April 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

Git gud, wehraboo

 

This, OP just sucks, it's not the tank's fault. 

Axelfoley666 #9 Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 22398 battles
  • 461
  • [TWD] TWD
  • Member since:
    04-17-2012
Sell them and get Russian and put German flags on them.

Edited by Axelfoley666, 02 April 2018 - 10:36 AM.


Quintuss #10 Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 26590 battles
  • 751
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_
  • Member since:
    12-20-2014

Daily wins.

 

Sorry, but unless you like getting kicked into the balls playing more than occasional battles in tanks like Mäuschen is unbearable. E75 i found ok, all-round heavy with little in terms of outright strenghts/wreaknesses, VK-B (i only played it after the "change") was never more than a poor E75 for me - every bit as soft against TX-TDs or Gold ammo yet even slower. Mäuschen is imho the worst T9-HT - low DPM, ultra-slow, armour that doesn't work (who cares how thick the main armour is when the cupola is an unarmoured tumor the size of a small tank)

 

Once you are done unlocking everything just sell and buy russian ones instead - more fun.



hasnainrakha57 #11 Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 13844 battles
  • 584
  • [WFTTE] WFTTE
  • Member since:
    08-01-2013
Yup german heavy,mediums and tds.Camp in them or die!

MOTA_BOY #12 Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 10744 battles
  • 97
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011

View Postuglycousin, on 02 April 2018 - 08:35 AM, said:

 

My usual gameplay is something like this:

 

In Lowe ( I see you have one ) go hulldown whenever possible. If bottom tier I go second line and support, if top tier (rarely happens but it happens) go brawl frontline. Lowe is a very good tier 8 HT right now, even if it has terrible dpm. It has that good gun that barely needs premium shells.

 

Tiger II. I do love the tigers ... but ... but this one is a bit of a turd. So I try to use the amazing gun it has by being a support tank. Most of the times it works. I even managed to get 3 MOEs on mine ( I don't go for marks usually ).

 

E75. A beast of a HT. Not as great as it used to, but still good. I like to take mine in the front line and wiggle wiggle so the enemy has a hard time aiming and penning my turret. Sidescrapes well enough. Gun is good enough to not care about tier 10s.

 

VK 45 P is not as good as it used to, but the lower plate can still troll people. Sidescrape a lot and try not to get isolated. 

 

E100... while the flat turret is a HEAT magnet, as long as you angle it well and try to hide your lowerplate ... it can still be a force to be feared. That 750 alpha gun carries quite a punch. And the large caliber HE is amazing against hulldown or sidescraping enemies. Not to mention picking up low HP targets.

 

Maus. It's the freakin Maus. If top tier, Maus does not give a damn. In a full tier 10 battle just try not to get isolated and you should be just fine. Just choose your flank well and angle that armor. :)

 

Panzer VII. While the turret gun mantlet weakpoint is dumb AF, and it has quite a few other weakspots that make sidescraping useless against a knowledgeable adversary ... the tank is quite fun. It has the Jagdtiger gun if I recall right. And I quite enjoy it. Not being very popular, a lot of people don't know where to shoot it and you get away with quite a few mistakes.

 

Jageroo is slow AF, turns like a boat, but that 1000 alpha gun is scary enough. When it hits what you aimed at. ... Hide that lower plate and don't be afraid to help your team push. that armor is troll enough even against premium shells as long as you angle it well. Wiggle wiggle. :great:

 

Jagdtiger. Have not played that one in a looooooong time but was thinking about rebuying it. I used to like pushing frontline with it, but right now whenever I meet one I just press 2 and it melts away, or flank it and laugh at it's puny attempts to turn around. The gun is awesome but powercreep has not been kind to it. You can still have good games in it if you don't over extend and try to stay close to friendlies. But then again, this can apply to anything. :)

 

Ferdinand has a very good gun ... and ... erm ... decent armor for when top tier if they don't know the Tiger P hull weakspots. If bottom tier try to stay with some friendlies and put that gun to work.

 

 

It would be wise to carry at least 30% premium ammo loadout for when faced against some nasty situations. What works for all tanks is good positioning and good situational awareness. Stop whining and try harder. :) You can do it. :)

 

 

 

Ok, Next time I play- I'll upload a replay, cause it's getting REALLY hard to do anyting in this tanks. Lately I manage to pen only one shot per game, and that's usually it.....

DracheimFlug #13 Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 8957 battles
  • 4,033
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View PostMOTA_BOY, on 02 April 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

 

Ok, Next time I play- I'll upload a replay, cause it's getting REALLY hard to do anyting in this tanks. Lately I manage to pen only one shot per game, and that's usually it.....

 

Löwe: Protect your lower front plate. You likely do not even need to be fully hull down but it helps even more when you can be.

 

Also with German heavies, do not overextend. You are usually pretty good to great frontally, but your sides are usually massive weak points.



HassenderZerhacker #14 Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 27224 battles
  • 2,398
  • [1DPG] 1DPG
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015
I add some of my impressions, since I played a lot of German tanks:

 

Löwe is excellent and can cause pain even to tier 10 tanks. The turret is very bouncy and the rounded form greatly reduces the surface where HEAT can pen well. Upper front glacis can also take a lot of punishment if angled well.
Doesn't need gold when top tier or middle tier, when bottom tier use gold to shoot top tiers. Go hulldown whenever possible.

 

Tiger II - yup. pretty much a turd. a *sniper heavy* lol. stay at long range, snipe and try to avoid getting spotted. lol. but it's pretty much the only way to play it if you want to survive longer than 3 minutes. lack of turret armor makes it useless as a heavy. think of it as a very very slow medium, so slow that it's useless in a medium role, with a good gun. Boost viewrange to the max to farm spotting damage. Whenever I saw a Tiger II with my Tiger I, I could shoot right through the front of the unangled turret with AP. I do the same with my SP nr.6 using gold. pitiful. The Tiger II is not a tank people keep in the garage - avoid.

 

VK 100.01P - very good tank with very good armor, bouces a lot of gold ammo, vulnerable to arty. slow. as long as this tank is covered from arty and has 2 or 3 allies around it's a very tough nut to crack. sidescrapes very well. good gun with 440 damage and 220/260 pen (AP/APCR). Even tier 10s are cautious when they approach this tank.

 

Mäuschen - pretty much the same as VK 100.01P, except less OP due to the gun being more in line with tier performance.

 

E75 - good heavy tank. angling, wiggling and jerking the turret will cause quite a few bounces. as all tier 9-10 german heavies, lackluster pen (why ????). good mobility, sidescrapes ok but turret front weak. use gold for the important shots.

 

VK 45.02B: has a fatal weakspot at the turret that makes it vulnerable in brawls and to sniping from up to 250m when playing against competent players. it's too slow, it fires too slowly, IMO it's very inferior to the E75. Avoid this tank.

 

E100 - the E100's turret is very vulnerable to HEAT and every statpadder will flock like flies flock to crapand shoot HEAT at it. in tier 10 battles, the E100 needs to stay in cover except to take a shot when the enemy is on reload, but even then there is always an unspotted T3 or T4 or some dreaded Obj that will puke HEAT all over your turret. This can make the E100 very boring to play, and I dislike tier 10 battles with it because of that.

 

PzKpfwVII - Overall good tank. Bounces a lot. Do not sidescrape in it, play it like a T28 HTC, best used with a wall corner or rock as partial cover.

 

Jagdtiger - as mid and bottom tier, it's too fragile to expose itself to enemy fire. it's too slow to be used efficiently as a classical TD. uglycousin described the powercreep well. also a HEAT magnet from bottom tier tank. everyone loves shooting a Jagdtiger. a tank to grind and sell.

 

JPz II - the speed allows the JPz to just pop out near enemies and shoot them with a devastating gun. I also like ramming immobilized lights or arties with it. but the armor is only competitive when top tier. another tank to grind and sell.

 

Rhm-B WT - this one is disappointing. I was shot a great amount of times by invisible borsigs, but when I got one, I was underwhelmed by this thing's performance. great camo but drops to almost nothing when you fire or move, bad gunhandling and bad accuracy for a TD. big gun has 215 pen (750 damage), small one 246 (490 damage). need to use a lot of gold with the big gun and it's a 20 sec reload. no thanks. bad mobility. bad aimtime. current maps also don't provide fruitful terrain for consistent performance for this tank. Boring as hell to play.

 

Panther II - at long last they finally added the 8.8 L/100 gun last year or something. I had to grind this thing when the best I could do was 135 damage per shot, not sure if the 8.8 L/71 was there from the beginning as well, or I would have used that one. Mobility is so bad on this tank that it's more or less the same story as with the Tiger II, be very cautious and snipe. Grind and sell this tank.

 

E50 - great accuracy, great DPM, okay armor, great viewrange, good mobility. a very good tank, but with 220 the pen is very lackluster, when the E50 is not top tier it needs gold ammo to pen type 4 and a few other tanks from the side when shooting from an angle that is not 90 degrees.

 

 

In general, German tanks in WoT are not made for brawling, with the exception of the E75 and to some extent the PzkpfwVII.

Except for the Maus line, the armor on German tanks, especially the turret, is subpar compared to equivalent Russian tanks and cripples performance of German tanks in WoT. Because while Russians can go hulldown to hide the vulnerable hull, Germans can't go "top down" to conceal the vulnerable turret.

Penetration of german tank guns at tier 10 is also lackluster, these tanks need gold to pen type 4, type 5.

Flat turret surfaces makes then very vulnerable to HEAT.

View range on german tanks is in general excellent, so I usually boost that even further.

 

As far as strategy is concerned, I think the single most important thing about german tanks is that except the Maus line, they don't have strong turrets, so you are always vulnerable when a part of your tank shows.

 


Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 02 April 2018 - 04:35 PM.


mollethepro #15 Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 8312 battles
  • 148
  • Member since:
    12-01-2014

you dont.

 

wg just gave up on wot.



TungstenHitman #16 Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 22178 battles
  • 4,070
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View PostSimeon85, on 02 April 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

 

This, OP just sucks, it's not the tank's fault. 

 

Maybe maybe not, but I think his point is that you can suck and have better results with Russian tank equivalents than you would with German tanks, the skill of the player being the only constant and not withstanding therefore. In other words a noob can use a Russian tonk and achieve much better results than he would using a German tonk at tier8. Is there truth in that? well, there are some really strong Russian tier8 HTs and TDs but that being true, the JPanther2 has a thumping great cannon on it, the VK superheavy is a handful when played well, especially when top tier and the SkorpionG is legendary, well, by legendary I mean its a tier8 German TD that's OP when compared to it's JP2 and Ferdie brothers. with a better gun, lazer accurate, super fast aim time, fast shell velocity, massive standard pen, big alpha AND just to take the pi** completely it also gets a turret, and here players are complaining about the Defender lol, makes me laugh, you can add the E25 at tier7 to the list of guilty as fork OP premium tanks too with its "paper" armor that HE somehow does almost no damage too for some reason and bounces shots that surely should overmatch it. I wouldn't complain about German tanks at that tier personally, there are far far worse.. is worse the correct word? no, there are tanks that are not as good, there that's better.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 02 April 2018 - 07:20 PM.


MOTA_BOY #17 Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 10744 battles
  • 97
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011

Here, first match....


http://wotreplays.eu...-mota_boy-e_100



DutchBaron_ #18 Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:12 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 10516 battles
  • 166
  • [FDAD] FDAD
  • Member since:
    10-06-2016

View PostTungstenHitman, on 02 April 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

 

Maybe maybe not, but I think his point is that you can suck and have better results with Russian tank equivalents than you would with German tanks, the skill of the player being the only constant and not withstanding therefore. In other words a noob can use a Russian tonk and achieve much better results than he would using a German tonk at tier8. Is there truth in that? well, there are some really strong Russian tier8 HTs and TDs but that being true, the JPanther2 has a thumping great cannon on it, the VK superheavy is a handful when played well, especially when top tier and the SkorpionG is legendary, well, by legendary I mean its a tier8 German TD that's OP when compared to it's JP2 and Ferdie brothers. with a better gun, lazer accurate, super fast aim time, fast shell velocity, massive standard pen, big alpha AND just to take the pi** completely it also gets a turret, and here players are complaining about the Defender lol, makes me laugh, you can add the E25 at tier7 to the list of guilty as fork OP premium tanks too with its "paper" armor that HE somehow does almost no damage too for some reason and bounces shots that surely should overmatch it. I wouldn't complain about German tanks at that tier personally, there are far far worse.. is worse the correct word? no, there are tanks that are not as good, there that's better.

Sure, but that are all premium tanks, if you just look at tech tree tanks than Germany really gets the smelly end of the stick. Tier 8-10 tech tree tanks average winrate for Germany is 48,5%, for Russia 50,5. That a huge difference, same as there is a huge difference between a 48% player and a 50% player, 2% difference you just get by picking a nation. And sure Germany has a few gems, but generally they are just bad.



HassenderZerhacker #19 Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:36 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 27224 battles
  • 2,398
  • [1DPG] 1DPG
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostMOTA_BOY, on 02 April 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

 

watched your replay... you need to stay in cover with the E100. the B-C clicker could farm you because you didn't choose a position that was more arty safe as the other E100 did.

 

second, don't shoot HEAT with the E100 at enemy turrets with a rounded form, it seems to never penetrate. and the E100's gun is not precise enough on that distance to hit the small surface where HEAT would work. better shoot HE at hull down enemies - well, except E100s of course ;-)

 

P.S.

the amount of damage the arty clicker did is absolutely scandalous, I hate them


Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 02 April 2018 - 10:38 PM.


MOTA_BOY #20 Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:00 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 10744 battles
  • 97
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011

Didn't go forward cause I expected rush, I was the only one at the begining. So I stayed; usually I get rushed...

I was aiming at the top of the turret and hull, worked for crap.....

 

And yes, I get clicked a lot.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users