Τ57 Heavy: what ammo type to use ? AP or HEAT ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DeepBlue60 #1 Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28870 battles
  • [_GDF] _GDF

Hi fellow tankers !

I got recently my 2nd tier X tank, a T57 Heavy. Although its weaknesses are obvious (poor armor, however better than the AMX 50B, rather slow, not very good gun handling), I was impressed by the high burst damage (4 x 400 hp within 6 secs) , fast clip reload (~22 sec with BiA, vents and cola), and the good penetration (258mm with AP, 340 mm with HEAT).

After a few games, however, i realized that the reality is pretty much different from the theory, and from the YouTube-replays of spectacular games with +10k dmg.

One major issue i have with this machine is its penetration. So, it happens very often that my HEAT-rounds do not penetrate, even when I shoot from the side, and even if the penetration marker on my reticle is green. Yesterday I managed NOT to penetrate a Skorpion G from the side ! Not to speak about heavies like the Conqueror/Super Conqueror, IS-7, Obj. 705 A a.o. I repeat, that in most cases the pen-marker was green.

After gone through several manuals, forums and guides, I came to the conclusion that HEAT is ineffective against spaced armor (this includes tracks), and even against thin armor under high angles. So, with spaced armor the pen-indicator turns green because the projectile will indeed pen the outer plate, but subsequently will fail to pen the inner plate.

So, I am starting to develop a rule of thumb about when to use HEAT with the T57, and when not. I think the following should apply:

- Dont use HEAT in general on tracks

- Dont use HEAT on Conqueror/S. Conqueror (particularly sides of turret), most Russian tanks (?), side skirts of E100 (though the lower plates and rear sections of these tanks get penned)

- Dont use HEAT on vehicles with special anti-HEAT protection, e.g the grill of the Strv 103B

- Use HEAT on most German and heavy Japanese tanks (Type 4/5 etc.)

- Use HEAT in general on MTs, LTs, TDs and SPGs

The decision is difficult when you have a Conqueror and a Type 5 in from of you waiting.

I know the list above is incomplete, too simplified and too generalistic, I hope you will contribute with your own knowledge and experience to improve it.

Edited by DeepBlue60, 04 April 2018 - 12:58 PM.

Negativvv #2 Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11045 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

How did you get to T10 without understanding HEAT? :amazed:

That Scorp G must have been laughing as AP would have squished him easily.

Use HEAT on flat surfaces basically I think? 

I don't have a T57 yet but it has a huge amount of penetration in the standard AP round, surely you should be using that mostly?

DeepBlue60 #3 Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28870 battles
  • [_GDF] _GDF

Thanks for your feedback Negativvv.

I am rather inexperienced tanker, I haven't dealt so much with HEAT in my brief past in wot. The first tanks where i extensively used HEATs were the predecessors of the T57 (T69, T54E1), but i didn't have there significant pen issues, possibly because i didn't encounter too many top tier X tanks, or avoided these.

Your comment about using HEAT basically on flat surfaces is true, in fact the T57 doesnt have problems penetrating with HEAT the turret of a Type 5 from the front, or the front lower plate of an Obj 705A or JagdPz 100E.

So, the selection of the ammo type must be made very carefully; the problem with autoloaders is that you have to load one entire clip of the same ammo type at once, you cant change from shot to shot.

As regards the Scorp, he surely is still laughing, as even HE would have demolished his turret. I aimed with the HEAT at his rear side plate but probably the shot went down on his tracks due to dispersion.

Thanks again for your comment and gl

Edited by DeepBlue60, 04 April 2018 - 03:14 PM.

HunterXHunter8 #4 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35008 battles

heat against armored tanks, ap against soft crap.

30-40% of ammo as ap and rest  as heat

heat doesn't bounce on ricochet angles  and t57 has balanced 340mm pen heat rounds

DeepBlue60 #5 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28870 battles
  • [_GDF] _GDF
Thanks for the feedback; i'll try that. However i have experienced difficulties penetrating with HEAT "easy" targets as the turret sides of Conqueror or the side plates of E100. Imo HEAT fails when the armor is made of multiple, even thin, spaced layers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users