Comet again.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Tom_Deekanarry #1 Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7695 battles

I'm running out of ideas with this tank, I only bought it to grind my way to the Centurion and to be blunt, it's exasperating!

It seems to have the perfect blend of mediocre all wrapped up in one tank, when you have poor armour you generally need a good gun to compensate, think Firefly here, failing that you use mobility, think Cromwell, this tank has none of the above, mediocre gun, armour, mobility and cammo!

So far I have tried fighting -

As a Medium amongst the heavies, result = you just bounce of pretty much everything and they ignore the heavies and shoot the easy to ,kill muppet in the Comet who dies with 3 hits!

As a flanker, this almost works but my pathetic 140 damage means I need 10 hits (that penetrate, yeah right) to knock out the uber level VIII & IX's I'm constantly having to battle, unfortunately they don't want to cooperate so after the second hit they tend to either just blast me or angle their tank leaving me bouncing shots until I get bored and go away!

As a light spotting by stealth, result =  My cammo is nowhere near good enough, I get spotted by the proper lights and bang,bang,bang your dead as all the Tank Destroyers open up.

As a spotter by manouver, result = I either get one shotted by artillery as I keep close behind cover to keep them illuminated or a bleedin Tier VIII or IX just drives round the corner and blats me as I frantically try to keep out of his gun!

As a sniper, pop up and shoot or fire from cover then withdraw, classic shoot n scoot, result = an unbesmegginglieveable number of bounces despite only carrying APCR now!

So basically I'm out of ideas, every now and then I have a good game, mostly due to the team but for the majority I get blasted trying to achieve something, I need 100,000 points to get rid of the damn thing and I'm only on 26000, I'm getting to the point I don't want to p[lay it as it's sucking all the fun out of the game!

So put your collective knowledge to use and please give me a few ideas to make this tank less depressing!

Brav_LOWE #2 Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20970 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The only way to play the Comet is to be a complete retard. Yes, you have to lower your IQ in order to play well in the Comet.

It's that kind of a tank that requires lots, lots, lots and lots of patience. 

Everything you've learnt about mediums so far, just throw it out the window. The Comet is too slow and has too bad of a gun to be played like your average medium. So, best bet? 

There was a meme about the kinds of people and how they interpret a glass of water. The pessimist said it's half-empty, the optimist half-full, the realist simply said it has water in it. All while these guys were arguing, the opportunist drank the water.

That's the way you play the Comet or, at least, that's the way I play it and it seems to work well. Don't ask me how but it's just how it is.

You have to have patience as opportunities of doing actually decent in this tank don't come that often. You will usually find yourself fighting mediums and still bouncing them because balance.

All in all, you play this tank like a raccoon. Be quick on the uptake and you'll see yourself racking up damage and kills like a bawss. Just remember that you need lots and lots of patience and just stay cool (unlike myself yesterday night when I kept losing for 4 battles in a row simply cause my sanity level was negative).

Afdass #3 Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12991 battles

I don't think the Comet is as bad as people make it look. Play it like a ridge line warrior abusing the -12º of gun depression and surprise the enemies. The tank isn't made to fight 1 on 1 with heavies or tier 9 tanks. Just wait for the right opportunity to shoot at someone when they're focus on anything else, track things, bate shots, etc. I really enjoyed my time in it. One of the go-for tanks when I get bored of everything else or I just want to relax after insane amount of bad games.

Played 94 games with 55% Win rate and 1.2k dmg/game and close to 90% MoE. Not outstanding but might show how I really enjoyed the tank.

LCpl_Jones #4 Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10702 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBrav_LOWE, on 11 April 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

The only way to play the Comet is to be a complete retard..........

i have succeeded  :ohmy: :teethhappy:

love the comet, load the gold, abuse that gun depression and be firing always. use that dpm

undutchable80 #5 Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 8267 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Play second line support to your Lights & MTs at the start of the game using that gun depression and RoF. If you cant pen tanks frontally, go for tracking shots since you can perma track them easy for your team to finish them off . Stay alive for the mid-late game, then use that decent VR to engage and ok-ish mobility (its NOT A CROMWELL!) to go for the flank shots. Oh, and I find playing this tank with a platoon buddy works even better. Since you are a support tank, having someone support you increases your survivability a lot.

Tom_Deekanarry #6 Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7695 battles

View Range is a plus on this tank, I do struggle to penetrate anything over a medium with it though, so the DPM is purely theoretical, it even bounces off the sides of T34's, IS etc thankfully I have ground past it now and onto the Cent, so it will probably only ever come out now when one of my mates want's to play in a platoon.

Really didn't like this tank, or rather the gun in tier VII.

NoobySkooby #7 Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:33 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 15115 battles
Ok I tried using the derp gun on this, why has it even got one it is a complete joke, aiming is as bad as a KV2, and all the shots went wide, I thought about going the full hog for the centurion, but I hear those are a bag  of crap, despite IRL being awesome tanks.

Eokokok #8 Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18498 battles
Comet is just bad tank, period. I mean if you mastered it it can be played by an Unicum, but overall there is nothing good about it anymore... It was an entry to hulldown tactics having less mobility then Cromwell, same problematic gun handling but at least being able to bounce a shot. Now that this is gone it is left with no armour and terrible gun, while having to try to excel in roles like spotting or flanking...

Anthony_1972 #9 Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:00 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8563 battles

I think the Comet was better in the past....  Not any more.   It's terrible.

I feel I can't make the Comet to work... Have 41% WR after 77 games.   (Including grinding, which is terrible)

And suddenly, I get a first MOE !?!?!  :amazed:

If I feel I'm letting my team down by playing this thing...   How terribly bad must the others be???? 

Edited by Anthony_1972, 24 September 2018 - 11:40 AM.

NoobySkooby #10 Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:19 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 15115 battles
Ok an update the Cent 1 is the next Brit med I am grinding for, so which is the best gun, on the comet,I have the top gun, but it seems inaccurate and with standard ammo, rather really useless, mobility is good though when run with 105 octane gas rather than food.

Kawaii_Pandaren #11 Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29600 battles
I don't think Comet is bad, if you can afford enough gold ammo. I have 225 battles with 57,78 % wr, 1243 damage per battle, 3marked, and I am far from being the best wot player. Use hills with -12 % gun depression, and try to ambush with dpm. I also had mostly good spotting/assist damage on larger maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users