The Epic Medal Or The Win?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you value more? (69 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

An epic medal or the win?

1. The Epic Medal (17 votes [24.64%])

Percentage of vote: 24.64%

2. The Win (52 votes [75.36%])

Percentage of vote: 75.36%

Vote Hide poll

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Edit - Sorry guys my bad I went fulltard mode there lol. I never meant an epic win, just the win. What is your mindset when these situations present themselves? We all set out to win of course but what do you chose when the battle manifests into a situation where you have maybe 2-3 minutes left, have 7-9 kills and, could cap an almost guaranteed win or risk it all to MAYBE 1. find the last enemy/enemies and 2. actually defeat them. 

Do you value a simple win vs a really epic medal? Do you say, to hell with the medal, I want the win or do you say to hell with the win, I want me that epic medal?  Ideally you can do both but if the clock is against you or if the enemy is just as likely to kill you as you are them, what do you do? Is the win the be all and end all? What about that rare epic medal you maybe have never won? would you take that rare medal and say to hell with the win or do you just go with the guaranteed win and say to hell with the medal you may or may not even win?

Edit2- Here's another cheeky little question. If a battle plays out that its 2 vs 5, you are with full hp and with a good tank, fancy your chances vs 5 heavily damaged, 1 shot targets, if your teammate was on low hp would you be LET them kill your teammate for a Kolobanovs chance you were in a strong position to win?? ohhh cheeky lol! What if your last teammate was an SPG? would you let say "ah to hell with that guy he did nothing all battle anyway" and let the enemy team both find him and use him as a sacrifice to expose those enemies in his demise and get to work on those remaining enemies?? you wicked thing?! :trollface:

Spoiler

Edited by TungstenHitman, 04 April 2018 - 05:23 PM.

Dava_117 #2 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17598 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

Throwing away an epic win to have an epic medal is stupid IMO... You can share an epic win replay, but if you share an epic medal replay that ends with a loss to get the medal, people won't be so impressed by the medal itself...

And because both are mostly a way to fill our ego indicator, the win is better in this. :)

UrQuan #3 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19049 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I go for the win. Wins give me & my team more experience.. Also, I seen way too many games crash & burn, because people wanted the kills instead of securing their safe victory. 

However, if the game's a clear loss, I'll do my best to get a medal, if only for the courageous resistance bonus. Some of my most epic games came out of this, because I wouldn't just lay down & die.

Sometimes, you get to do both & turn the tide to certain victory

Edited by UrQuan, 04 April 2018 - 04:18 PM.

Ubervold #4 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20447 battles
I play to win...

Lord_Edge #5 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5757 battles
I don't care about medals/sts/etc, It's a team game, I play to ensure my team wins.  Hell I've even driven into the line of fire and been destroyed to save teammates and bring home the win before now lol.

Tidal_Force #6 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16000 battles

View PostUrQuan, on 04 April 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

I go for the win. Wins give me & my team more experience.. Also, I seen way too many games crash & burn, because people wanted the kills instead of securing their safe victory. 

However, if the game's a clear loss, I'll do my best to get a medal, if only for the courageous resistance bonus. Some of my most epic games came out of this, because I wouldn't just lay down & die.

Sometimes, you get to do both & turn the tide to certain victory

Judging by location of teammates on map, how the hell did you survive that? You should have died 3 times over against enemy with any skill whatsoever, yet they failed to do any damage.

UrQuan #7 Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19049 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTidal_Force, on 04 April 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Judging by location of teammates on map, how the hell did you survive that? You should have died 3 times over against enemy with any skill whatsoever, yet they failed to do any damage.

I don't know. I kept count of the T57 clip, so knew he ran out. I angled against the FV & prayed he didn't use HE (he didn't).Then angled against the Badger & E-50M. After that I expected to die; either by FV or by the T57 who reloaded. But it never happened. If I died, I'd accepted it, knowing I bought valuable time for my team (they had to kill that E-100 in rear), because surviving that was on my *This is gonna be a miracle* wishlist. So I suppose RNG was going *Your time has not yet come*

We did cap that one out; I was not gonna push my luck any further.

That said, a major help was our Batchat, he had a full clip & used his speed to clip the oneshot tanks as he rushed between us, that really helped. Also the others were great, they didn't lose time rushing to help after that E-100 was dealt with.

Edited by UrQuan, 04 April 2018 - 04:58 PM.

Jumping_TurtIe #8 Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5370 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The first thing I believe in this game is trying to win the battle. If that comes with an epic medal that is a bonus, but the win always comes first.

Aikl #9 Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
A good match is like a cake. Winning is the icing on top. A medal is the sprinkling on the icing. Cake without icing or sprinkles is nice, sprinkles without icing just looks nice.

TungstenHitman #10 Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18626 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

I'm being a rascal here lol. So, lets say you have NEVER won a Pools medal, your heart is pounding(for drama)) you are on 9 kills for the first time ever! The enemy team is only 2 clickers, you are almost certain to find at least one of them and certain to bag your first ever, epic of epicness medals the mighty gold and purple clad Pools medal!! are you NOT going to do that for just one sappy win?? you win half the time, thousands of times, who cares, you have NEVER won this medal before and you just got to go and get it... but you WILL at the very least lose the battle and maybe get nothing at all, do still chose the win?

:medal::medal:

Edited by TungstenHitman, 04 April 2018 - 05:34 PM.

Brownape #11 Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7634 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 04 April 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

I'm being a rascal here lol. So, lets say you have NEVER won a Pools medal, your heart is pounding(for drama)) you are on 9 kills for the first time ever! The enemy team is only 2 clickers, you are almost certain to find at least one of them and certain to bag your first ever, epic of epicness medals the mighty gold and purple clad Pools medal!! are you NOT going to do that for just one sappy win?? you win half the time, thousands of times, who cares, you have NEVER won this medal before and you just got to go and get it... but you WILL at the very least lose the battle and maybe get nothing at all, do still chose the win?

TBH i remember all my Pool's. In this instance then the Pool's would win out.

I am trying to get the third makr on the E5 at the moment and had a game on lakeville where i had a misely 2.4k damage and the oppurtunity for lots more (still 7/8 enemy left in the town) but needed to cap for the quick win. I didn't even mull it over, the win counted more.

Edited by Brownape, 04 April 2018 - 06:31 PM.

Martijn_mk2 #12 Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5840 battles
@TungstenHitman

In that case i would go for the medal (i actually dont have a pools yet).
But if there would be normal tanks left, i'd go for the win.

I had the chance to get a pools medal a couple times (9kills), but managed to get myself killed because of trying too hard.
We did win those battles anyway though.

Erwin_Von_Braun #13 Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 36109 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Voted Medal :izmena:

At time of posting, if it is a medal you do not have that is in the offing then there are 17 fibbers:medal:

UrQuan #14 Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:52 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19049 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTungstenHitman, on 04 April 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

I never won a Pool's. Not even close. Should the opportunity present itself, but at the cost of winning the game, I doubt I'd go for the medal. Oddly, the two Radleys I got were both in nice games, but they didn't feel 'epic' to me. They were just the result of RNG being good to me. KV-2 was RNG going *every shot, someone will die, don't worry, even if you miss, someone will still die* Hilarious ofc, but more RNG blessing me rather then skill. The one on KV-4 was Windstorm, me & a bunch of other tanks cleaning the crowded city, where I got lucky on the killshots. Still was very happy when I got it tho, always wanted one of the high kill awards on my favorite tank. It just took me 4K games on it.

Some of my most epic games had no special medals attached to them like the one I linked above. Got me a Steel wall & the shakies, because I was not supposed to survive, yet I somehow did.

One of the craziest survivals I got was one where I decided to give it all for my team (old game):

Live oaks: TX match, enemy has the town, our team goes by rail; so I decide to buy our team some extra time, by holding the town with the KV-4 & a few others

The short of it is: I like winning games, even if it means I got to give up on a medal.

In case of assured loss tho, I'll chase a medal, for that courageous resistance bonus.

However, in the example you provided: two clickers, it really depends on the situation. I could cap, to lure them out or at the least pinpoint their location (direction indicator), then attempt to kill them. Or let them come to me if I successfully dodged the shots. I will however choose the route that will get the most chance to win the game, even if it means sacrificing a Pool's medal.

Hard to answer your example really, the closest i got to that was with Maus VS 3 arties & there I went for cap & they all came for me. Got me a Langlade's medal & Pascucci's (was before they changed it to two arties)

With all that said, generally if you got a Pool's medal, you did one hell of a job in that match & by then if you lost with a pools, I'm pretty sure it's safe to blame the team in most cases. Honestly, I doubt I'll ever get one, I lack something for those high kill games (you'll notice that my killrate is rather low on many tanks)

That said, my 'Epic medal' is a combo of two standard ones: Steel Wall & High Caliber is my favorite combo. I love getting that combo, it is an awesome combo.

Edited by UrQuan, 04 April 2018 - 07:08 PM.

Homer_J #15 Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27085 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There are no epic medals, they are mostly given out by RNG.

I remember my first pools, I had a terrible team, the enemy had a terrible team.  In the end my team were slightly more terrible which meant I got to kill a lot of the enemy before we lost.

fwhaatpiraat #16 Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
If I have to choose between a win or a Kolobanovs medal, I rather take the medal.

Azazel_and_chill #17 Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9000 battles

I got about 5k wins, but less than 100 epic medals. Now you can guess my choice.

Also, Why not claim both ? :P

Edited by Azazel_and_chill, 04 April 2018 - 07:23 PM.

CraftyVeteran #18 Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3852 battles
  • [Y-U] Y-U
stat padders and selfish players care about medals.  people who want to enjoy the game for what it is get the win. imo, selfish stat padders ruin the experience.  i don't think its an epidemic but when it happens its frustrating.

Edited by CraftyVeteran, 04 April 2018 - 07:58 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #19 Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26628 battles
Go for the win every time. Shinys are just a bonus.

Bordhaw #20 Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9581 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 04 April 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Edit - Sorry guys my bad I went fulltard mode there lol. I never meant an epic win, just the win. What is your mindset when these situations present themselves? We all set out to win of course but what do you chose when the battle manifests into a situation where you have maybe 2-3 minutes left, have 7-9 kills and, could cap an almost guaranteed win or risk it all to MAYBE 1. find the last enemy/enemies and 2. actually defeat them. 

I guess it depends if you think you're good enough to get the win and the medal. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users