Jump to content


Help on improving gameplay

help gameplay improvement

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

PanzerMaiden #1 Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 13355 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    11-15-2015
Hi all! :)
Looking for someone to help me improve my gameplay! Preferably someone with really good and consistent gameplay themselves, with the ability to communicate and explain the hows/whys etc.
I have almost 10K battles and currently my WN8 is at 1340, my recent seems to range from 1500WN8-2100WN8 depending on what kind of day I have. I have a few tanks of all tiers, and several different classes. My accuracy is generally pretty good, even if I dont always know what weakspots to aim for. Need help mostly with situational awareness, reading the map/game better. How to generally pace myself and how/where to postition myself. (Especially with new graphics and changed maps) Also occasionally need some advise on how to better block dmg in certain tanks etc.

I have both TS and Discord, my english is okay (bad accent tho, but I can make myself understood pretty fine)
http://www.wotstats....u/panzermaiden/

Edited by PanzerMaiden, 05 April 2018 - 05:06 PM.


D4wiD3K #2 Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 659 battles
  • 276
  • Member since:
    08-11-2012

If you want a tip, add "artillery is [edited]ing [edited]" to your post and you'll offend and drive away all the high battle count baddies who would otherwise tell you all the conventional wisdom that isn't going to help you at all.



mjs_89 #3 Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5226 battles
  • 347
  • [95137] 95137
  • Member since:
    08-16-2017

I would recommend going to yt and checking out taugrim. He has a series called "road to unicum" where he plays a variety of tanks and explains what he's doing and why. I learned a lot watching those and although you are a better player than myself, I bet you'll learn a bit from him.

gl on the battlefield



WindSplitter1 #4 Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:59 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 16025 battles
  • 2,560
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

I didn't know you were a forumite, Pz. M. :D

 

I improved a little by going where good players go to, watching them, viewing some replays, etc.

If Scouting is your thing, then RoadToUnicum really is your best bet.



LordMuffin #5 Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:08 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 48172 battles
  • 11,109
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    06-21-2011
Just PM Per_saukko_eu and he will gladly give you many advice.

Edited by LordMuffin, 05 April 2018 - 11:08 PM.


Aikl #6 Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 25554 battles
  • 4,349
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2011

Platooning helps, both with results and understanding the game. Make a rough plan on where to go and keep each other alive. I've learned a lot from simply platooning with better players - without them tutoring me. It's more fun that way, I think. Having Captain Hindsight in your ear in every battle can prove tiresome.

Stuff like armor angling and whatnot might be easier to explain if you post a replay where something went wrong. 

 

Peek into the in-game 'Forumites' channel (password is play4fun). Even players with similar stats can learn from each other, and it's more fun to not play alone.

 

PS: Concentrate on a few vehicles if you're looking to improve yourself in a particular area. Preferably of roughly the same playstyle.

You'll also learn a lot from simply figuring out what went wrong if you got killed. Sometimes you have crappy RNG or a non-functional team, but most of the time you can do something better. That might be taking bad trades, taking positions without a retreat route or not paying attention to the minimap. Use a minute to think rather than switching to the next tank.



Strappster #7 Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:04 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 24102 battles
  • 9,019
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

Steps to gitting gud:

 

  1. Look at your minimap.
  2. No, seriously, look at your minimap.
  3. Ok, firstly, increase the size of your minimap.
  4. Now look at it.
  5. Properly.
  6. Also look at the team lists during countdown.

 

I know that seems glib but I have serious intent. Most of the problems people seem to have playing the game can be eased if not resolved if they simply looked at their minimap a bit more often. Even in a toon, you're still reliant on all those other green tanks to do something and planning your game in coordination with your team does a lot to help you and them perform better.

 

Has your team yolo rushed to one side? Then don't try to prop up the open flank by yourself.

 

Has your team split sensibly? Then look for where you can go to make the difference.

 

Is the enemy breaking through? Then look for what can you do to slow them down enough for your team to recover.

 

Are you top tier? Then look for how you can dictate the battle.

 

Are you bottom tier? Then look for how you can best provide support.

 

What if your team are utter potatoes and you're scunnered whatever you do? Then look for how you can maximise your personal returns from this battle and worry about the win on the next one.

 

Learn the maps, know which ridges you can poke over in which tanks and which will expose your lower plate. Find the areas where you know you can hold for a while and know when you have to fall back. Always look at how both teams are disposed; the enemy might be even bigger potatoes and send their scariest tanks the long way round so knowing how can you capitalise on their mistake can make the difference to carrying a win.

 

Remember, you always have options, even in a slow old bus like a Churchill heavy tank. Think ahead and move when you need to, not when you have to. Once you allow the enemy to dictate your moves, you're not going to be in that battle for much longer.

 

And on that note, losses happen. Sometimes you'll score one penning hit and be back in the garage in a couple of minutes, other times you'll play out of your skin, reach a record damage score, secure a Radley Walters medal and be looking at a possible Kolobanov carry when RNGesus looks down on you and says, "nope". It happens.

 

After each battle, think about what you did right and more importantly, accept what you did wrong. Did your team abandon you or did you attempt to hold a flank solo against the enemy heavy push? Did your team fail to leave spawn or did you go spotting enemies that no one on your team was in a position to shoot at?

 

I'd say play every type of tank, even arty (boo, hiss, etc.). There are missions with decent rewards for all types of vehicle and by playing a tank you'll have a better understanding of what they can and can't do. Hate arty? What do you think is the more efficient way to find out where they can't shoot you - trial and error in regular tanks or playing a few rounds in arty for yourself? Think your light tanks are uselessly sitting in a bush? Go drive one and find out what passive spotting is. Are mediums useless in a heavy meta? Play a few and work out how you can exploit their strengths while minimising their weaknesses.

 

Finally, don't fall into the easy trap of this-tank-goes-here-that-tank-goes-there. Yes, there are certainly maps and tanks where it doesn't make much sense not to take your heavy tank to the brawling corner to fight the enemy heavies. But you're more likely to have a decent battle in a tank like the AMX 50 100 if you play with the mediums rather than trying to trade shots with an IS-3 that's angled nicely on a corner.



PanzerMaiden #8 Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 13355 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    11-15-2015

View PostWindSplitter1, on 05 April 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

I didn't know you were a forumite, Pz. M. :D

 

I improved a little by going where good players go to, watching them, viewing some replays, etc.

If Scouting is your thing, then RoadToUnicum really is your best bet.


Haha, well there is a first time for everyone Wind ;) I also found "Unicum and Why" series by Alphaz quite helpful. 
 

View PostStrappster, on 06 April 2018 - 12:04 AM, said:

Steps to gitting gud:

 

  1. Look at your minimap.
  2. No, seriously, look at your minimap.
  3. Ok, firstly, increase the size of your minimap.
  4. Now look at it.
  5. Properly.
  6. Also look at the team lists during countdown.

 

I know that seems glib but I have serious intent. Most of the problems people seem to have playing the game can be eased if not resolved if they simply looked at their minimap a bit more often. Even in a toon, you're still reliant on all those other green tanks to do something and planning your game in coordination with your team does a lot to help you and them perform better.

 

Has your team yolo rushed to one side? Then don't try to prop up the open flank by yourself.

 

Has your team split sensibly? Then look for where you can go to make the difference.

 

Is the enemy breaking through? Then look for what can you do to slow them down enough for your team to recover.

 

Are you top tier? Then look for how you can dictate the battle.

 

Are you bottom tier? Then look for how you can best provide support.

 

What if your team are utter potatoes and you're scunnered whatever you do? Then look for how you can maximise your personal returns from this battle and worry about the win on the next one.

 

Learn the maps, know which ridges you can poke over in which tanks and which will expose your lower plate. Find the areas where you know you can hold for a while and know when you have to fall back. Always look at how both teams are disposed; the enemy might be even bigger potatoes and send their scariest tanks the long way round so knowing how can you capitalise on their mistake can make the difference to carrying a win.

 

Remember, you always have options, even in a slow old bus like a Churchill heavy tank. Think ahead and move when you need to, not when you have to. Once you allow the enemy to dictate your moves, you're not going to be in that battle for much longer.

 

And on that note, losses happen. Sometimes you'll score one penning hit and be back in the garage in a couple of minutes, other times you'll play out of your skin, reach a record damage score, secure a Radley Walters medal and be looking at a possible Kolobanov carry when RNGesus looks down on you and says, "nope". It happens.

 

After each battle, think about what you did right and more importantly, accept what you did wrong. Did your team abandon you or did you attempt to hold a flank solo against the enemy heavy push? Did your team fail to leave spawn or did you go spotting enemies that no one on your team was in a position to shoot at?

 

I'd say play every type of tank, even arty (boo, hiss, etc.). There are missions with decent rewards for all types of vehicle and by playing a tank you'll have a better understanding of what they can and can't do. Hate arty? What do you think is the more efficient way to find out where they can't shoot you - trial and error in regular tanks or playing a few rounds in arty for yourself? Think your light tanks are uselessly sitting in a bush? Go drive one and find out what passive spotting is. Are mediums useless in a heavy meta? Play a few and work out how you can exploit their strengths while minimising their weaknesses.

 

Finally, don't fall into the easy trap of this-tank-goes-here-that-tank-goes-there. Yes, there are certainly maps and tanks where it doesn't make much sense not to take your heavy tank to the brawling corner to fight the enemy heavies. But you're more likely to have a decent battle in a tank like the AMX 50 100 if you play with the mediums rather than trying to trade shots with an IS-3 that's angled nicely on a corner.


I've had the mini-map on second largest setting for well over half my games :) And I do watch it pretty much constantly, but that doesn't always mean I see what needs to be seen, if that makes sense. And thanks for overall good advice, its pretty much stuff I already know, but find hard to follow all the time. And I do play all types, partly because I enjoy them all, but also because it helps me know what to expect and how to counter them. Thats why I started playing arty at first, got tired of getting shot by them all the time lol.
 

View PostAikl, on 05 April 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

Platooning helps, both with results and understanding the game. Make a rough plan on where to go and keep each other alive. I've learned a lot from simply platooning with better players - without them tutoring me. It's more fun that way, I think. Having Captain Hindsight in your ear in every battle can prove tiresome.

Stuff like armor angling and whatnot might be easier to explain if you post a replay where something went wrong. 

 

Peek into the in-game 'Forumites' channel (password is play4fun). Even players with similar stats can learn from each other, and it's more fun to not play alone.

 

PS: Concentrate on a few vehicles if you're looking to improve yourself in a particular area. Preferably of roughly the same playstyle.

You'll also learn a lot from simply figuring out what went wrong if you got killed. Sometimes you have crappy RNG or a non-functional team, but most of the time you can do something better. That might be taking bad trades, taking positions without a retreat route or not paying attention to the minimap. Use a minute to think rather than switching to the next tank.


I've been platooning with better and great players quite a lot, and yes it has helped tremendously to just watch them a bit. But sometimes it would feel a bit more helpful to get more proactive help, like someone saying "don't do that/try this/go here/you should have done this" etc :)  And tnx for the invite to the channel! 



Dansker_KBH #9 Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 38553 battles
  • 37
  • Member since:
    07-15-2013

 

 

 

 

 

Dear you at WG

Why is Artys in the game ? this i hear every day and players call me clicker and so on

I guess we are in so we too can play and have fun with WOT But to hounestly i dont understand why you have 3 - 4 maps where arty actuly only is canon food for the enemy ??? those map we can just sit and wait for the enemy or our team is winning ??? we cant shoot becouse of houses and clifs ??? Why du WG take arty in to maps where we cant do anything els than get kill or sit and wait ontil our team win

WG have make the artys more and more bad i wait from 20 sec to almost 1 min to make one shot ??? very often i dont hit becouse the granates hanging time and the enmy there move or disapir

If you dont want arty in the game than remove them or give us a fair chance to play and feel the fun [edited]all the other players


Edited by Slide_Dane, 06 April 2018 - 11:06 AM.


ThinGun #10 Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35051 battles
  • 1,295
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

Best advice I've ever seen was "review every game and try to work out what you did wrong, and how you avoid doing it again".

I'd also recommend reviewing YouTube videos.  Loads of them.  No-one specific, because all advice is valuable.

 

Finally .. if there's a top player on your team with a similar class of tank to you ... watch them carefully, and maybe even shadow them if appropriate.  Try to work out why they went there, or why they moved then.  What did they see that you didn't?

 

I would suggest that there are no hard and fast rules to become better, because we all play differently and we all have different skill sets.  Just work out what yours are.



besinnungslos #11 Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 19539 battles
  • 70
  • [POWNY] POWNY
  • Member since:
    11-23-2011

View PostThinGun, on 06 April 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Finally .. if there's a top player on your team with a similar class of tank to you ... watch them carefully, and maybe even shadow them if appropriate.  Try to work out why they went there, or why they moved then.  What did they see that you didn't?

Just to be sure: please dont shadow light tanks... :D



ThinGun #12 Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35051 battles
  • 1,295
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostBlackPantherKTwo, on 06 April 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

Just to be sure: please dont shadow light tanks... :D

 

Fair point.  I'd also add "don't park up next to a TD, they hate that".

Edited by ThinGun, 06 April 2018 - 12:25 PM.


D4wiD3K #13 Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 659 battles
  • 276
  • Member since:
    08-11-2012

View PostThinGun, on 06 April 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Best advice I've ever seen was "review every game and try to work out what you did wrong, and how you avoid doing it again".

 

The theory behind this is nice but I think in practice it's a very different story. A player who has a solid understanding of the game can correct minor leaks in his game this way but that's the extent of it. The issue for a newer/developing player is that in most situations they are unlikely to know what the correct play would have been even when they are watching the replay, or even that they did something wrong in the first place.


I don't think mentoring is a very practical thing in World of Tanks either but I do also vouch for playing with a very advanced player and seeing how he generally plays. The key here is to simply learn which positions your platoon mate plays and why. Once you have a good grasp of how each map plays out and what are the key areas, experimenting different things will take you far. Knowing the good positions of each map takes you a long way. On the other hand consistently following the lemming train in randoms tends to take you to what I like to call "bot areas" that usually are either unflankable camping areas or overly simplified tunnel brawls for heavy bobs who don't want to be flanked.

 

Another way(perhaps even better) is to go to Twitch, pick a super unicum's stream and watch him play the game. Try to figure out why he chooses to do what he does in each situation. This is even better if you watch VODs(Twitch replays basically) and have the opportunity to pause the game once in a while to analyze the situation without a rush. Do not watch ace tanker replays on youtube, these games have almost non-existent educational value.

 

Map awareness is the single most important factor in your performance, and it isn't even close. If you consistently drag your tank to the right areas, from a good position you can miss a few shots, not know some weak spot, even overcommit at times and still pull more than your weight. I've seen orange Super Conquerors carry games because for whatever reason they happened to go to the "medium" flank instead of the heavy brawl and once they got there it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to sit hulldown behind a very strong turret and -10 gun depression while farming the hapless enemies. Once you have a solid grasp of each map you can begin to experiment different things with more confidence to expand your knowledge. When you are doing the basics right and playing the right areas you can start to pay more attention to details such as reading the game, trying new positions, learning the weak spots and so forth.

 

Of course you still want to have common sense with you - you don't go to the important flank alone. Knowing what flanks are important doesn't matter in the games where you're the only one who thinks so. In these games you say in your mind "[edited] this team", expect a loss and proceed to farm damage by either camping or joining the lemmings. With some luck the lemmings go for a quick push and wins the game. This mostly won't happen but it's 15 vs. 15 game with +2/-2 matchmaking, your impact is limited. It sucks but it's just part of the game.


Still in the big picture I think the best way to learn the game is to first master the maps.







Also tagged with help, gameplay, improvement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users