Getting to grips...............

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

NoobySkooby #1 Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7024 battles

with Light tanks, I am just unable to, the faster they are the more I think I am in grand theft auto (and that is a game I have never played) apart from suicide scouting, i can never survive any battle in one of them, well ok maybe once or twice i may get lucky.

Can someone please be kind enough to shed some light on the art of light tank survival?

unhappy_bunny #2 Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:09 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17410 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Funnily enough, I have the same problem with Lights, and I have never played GTA either. 

Maybe that is the answer. Play GTA and become good with Light Tanks. 

mjs_89 #3 Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:19 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3955 battles

1) go to youtube

2) go to taugrims channel

3) watch the ~30 min guide to scouting

(if that's not enough)

4) look for replays/videos of good players play the tank(s) you struggle with and learn from them

My advice would be to passive spot in the beginning and survive to the mid and endgame by not overextending. Then use your vision and speed to clean up.

GL on the battlefield

XxKuzkina_MatxX #4 Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44970 battles

Check out Ilya's YT channel, it's mostly about lights game play.

https://www.youtube....qVUMl6RtFQ65P_A

Spurtung #5 Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:42 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60160 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 06 April 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

Can someone please be kind enough to shed some light on the art of light tank survival?

- don't get shot

- don't drown

- don't turn upside down

- don't be on or under another tank

- don't fall from considerable heights

- don't ram into better armored/heavier vehicles

I think that covers it.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #6 Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44970 battles

View PostSpurtung, on 06 April 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

- don't get shot

- don't drown

- don't turn upside down

- don't be on or under another tank

- don't fall from considerable heights

- don't ram into better armored/heavier vehicles

I think that covers it.

That's a life insurance policy not a LT guide :)

Spurtung #7 Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:11 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60160 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 06 April 2018 - 04:55 AM, said:

That's a life insurance policy not a LT guide :)

Survival was mentioned. It's fitting.

Strappster #8 Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:17 AM

General

• Player
  • 23628 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There are two ways to scout - active and passive. Active means driving around in circles, hoping to get back into cover after spotting the enemy before they can shoot you. Passive generally means sitting in a bush. There is a lot more to it than that, of course.

Some light tanks are better at one than the other. For example I'd say most Russian lights are better active scouts because they have good gun handling (for light values of "good"), some armour and are quite fast. I'd put French lights down as more passive; they benefit from bush-camping until a point when they can use their auto-loaders to full effect.

I started playing lights seriously with the French line so I tend to be more passive. There's a certain joy to be had from sitting in a bush and when your binos go up, lighting up half the enemy campers who thought they were safe. That doesn't mean that someone else might not have great success playing a French light as a mini-BatChat, jumping out to assassinate low-hp targets before running away again and if that approach works then good for them. The only way you'll know what's right for you is to try.

Learn how the camo and spotting systems work as once you know that, you can start to exploit them. For example, there are only six vision points on each tank and you have to have line of sight to one of those to light a tank up. Parking in a bush with your middle covered means you're invisible even if your tracks are poking out on both sides because of this.

Don't forget that any view range you have over 445m is used to negate enemy camo. You will want as much as you can get; running optics and binos can be worth trying as you have the the option of playing active or passive depending on the map and where you spawn.

Remember that your team is shown on the minimap too. There's no point slogging your guts out if your support is on the other side of the map and can't shoot the targets you're lighting up.

Communicate with your team. You don't have to type essays in chat, simply pinging a target that you'd like them to fire at is often all you need, particularly when you light an enemy scout - those have to be focused down quickly because the longer they're in the battle, the more risk they are to you.

Pay attention to the details of each map. You can often break contact simply by driving into a depressed area of ground and you'll need to know where those are because the enemy scouts will be focusing you too.

Have a look at wotreplays. You can filter by individual tanks and maps, then find the replays with big assist scores for the tank you're trying to play. It can help a lot just watching what good players do. If you find a stack you want to watch, running the replays at 2x speed gets through them more quickly and it's not so quick that you can't see what's happening.

Good luck!

L4NDe #9 Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:33 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44014 battles
  • [SPALE] SPALE

Good tips from strapster but remember you really need a good crew in light tanks. Sixth sense, situational awareness, recon, camo. Also mobility and gun stability skills are nice to have but first sixth sense, view range, camo.

Take early spots and play as passive scout if your crew is bad. If you drive as an active scout with bad crew you are going to be outspotted by meds. Idea is that you spot them but they never see you. With bad crew they might see you first & thats why you dont survive with your light tanks. Once your crew gets better, 3-4 skills, you can start playing abit more active role. 

Edited by L4NDe, 06 April 2018 - 04:38 AM.

Sfinski #10 Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:42 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29790 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Upload some replays so we can see what you're doing wrong. Easier to help then. 

Tipperty #11 Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19027 battles

Map awearness, map attention and try to aniticpate where other lights and mediums might be to counter you. In open maps, plan your routes and use the map and bushs to your advantage to get view range for the team, while safely trying to get sneaky damage in and try not to get isolated from your team, always have a fall back position or a group of allies to fall back to.

In city maps, try to stick with the other mediums and lights, a group of lights and mediums can be a dangerous mob of tanks. Try to ambush isolated tanks and use your agility to circle and kill them, detrack skill is a good thing to work on. 

Most of all look at the positions of your tanks, you are being kind of useless if you are spotting a flank that is not supported. In situations like this, where you have a yolo lemmin train team on one side of the map. Fall back or have a route that allows you to fall back once you start to see enemy tanks pushing your flank. In situations where your team camps base, use map knowledge to gain view range for them, they might be kind of useless, but if you can get view range for them, hopefully they have enough brains to fire their guns.

DO NOT be a red line sniper

Edited by Tipperty, 06 April 2018 - 06:26 AM.

NoobySkooby #12 Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7024 battles
Thank you guys for passing that information on, some very good advice there.:rolleyes:

Danger_UXB_ #13 Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9306 battles

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 06 April 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Thank you guys for passing that information on, some very good advice there.:rolleyes:

(I originally put this in a topic in the newcomer section so this is a copy-paste of a copy-paste?:bajan:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE;..Sorry i could not resist to mabye help a a new light driver so i copy pasted these old posts of mine...so hope it helps a little?..

(Beware some of these posts are from when lights had +3 MM  and apply to higher tier gameplay but mostly you will get the jist?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I normally go with Bino,Optics and vents on all my 'High cammo' lights...

..This gives you 'Versatility' for all situations and all maps as you can adapt as needed.

Main thing is at tier 6 and up is at least have a full cammo crew...7 and up id go with a 2 skill crew needed (all cammo/6th for first) then for others just concentrate on mobility (As you need to be active mostly)..Gun

handling (Epecially on 1390)..and V/R for the others..

Name of the game is map awareness and opportunity...harassing and even covering forgotten flanks...

..Its a great fun class and over time you will get a 'Feel' for for whats right in any given situation ..and whats not?

As a light tank driver you will face many problems and also many 'Expectations' by your team...You will be expected to go into the 'Forbidden territory' ;namely within V/R of the enemy

to spot them (If you play tier 7/8 lights you will be 'Outspotted' by most tier 9 and 10 meds)..So i hope this helps a little..

Evasion;.. 

As most of the time you are a 2 shot (Average) you will need to use the terrain to your advantage...This includes using every dip in the ground but also alot of obstacles ..

(Destroyable or not?)....if you get spotted hide in or behind these then count to 5  (This will allow you to 'Restealth)..then retreat keeping the obstacle between you and

the closest opponant.(The person that spotted you)....(If your spotted and dont move your as good as dead)

I work on the principle that a gun takes 2 seconds (Average) to aim and 4 seconds for them to take a 'Lead shot'...Why do i say this??....basicly if you are retreating and

still spotted never travel in a straight line going away from the enemy for more than 2 seconds.. if you are still spotted (Take a 'hard right' of left?...whatever is needed??)..

...After you take a 'Hard right' (Or left?) never stay parallell for more than 3 seconds also...This will stop them taking a 'Lead shot' at you.(Yes it seems obvious to Zig-Zag

when retreating but if you take these rules into account they will save you alot)..

Never stay still;...

Speed and agility and stealth are your friend..Use this to your best advantage...As well as being an ideal deterrant to getting shot You are also the guy that can actually take

key positions on the map and at the same time this will entice your team (The meds) to follow you and gain map control..

Think of yourself as an 'Information giver' rather than a scout??..

At all stages of the game your team needs information (Where the enemy are) and you have the tools to provide this..Dont scout...Give information as needed and never be

afraid to retreat (Retreating is what keeps you alive).... ie Dont scout if its not needed??

Early spots..

As you get to know the map 'Tendancies' you will eventually see the shortcuts you can take as you have the speed to do this ..If you can get early spots without dying you

are invaluable to the team as the damage caused by your spotting already puts your team at an an advantage...Try to learn the 'shortcuts'

...(I said this would be short)...

Just because you are not spotting doesnt mean you cant be useful?..

Scenario;...Your team has gone left and right in equal numbers and your useless if you follow them (What to do??)...If this is the case i try to fill gaps in the line..(Team balance is

important)...If you do this you will automaticly become many thing;...You will become an 'Antiscout' to protect your arty but also stop your team from getting flanked..(Your team

will be aware of this and act accordingly...It will give them confidence to progress their flank)..

..In short you are the most stealthy ,mobile tank on your team so use this to the best of your ability...and your teams??''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added this old post too......:harp:

''Alot of players seem to think that you 'Just scout' in light tanks whereas your duties are well beyond that..

If you want to play as just a 'Pure scout' i recommend you consider yourself a 'General of the battlefield as you will set the tempo of the game ...Or to put it another way a 'Sweeper' in football..

How??..Well lets take a look at your 'Duties'??

• First and foremost you are an 'Antiscout'...You will try to kill the opponants teams eyes as this will blind them...If you can do this the odds are in your favour already for a win.

• You also play as a cover tank if any of your teams tanks have long reloads...You will need to watch they dont get pounced on by the enemy and as you have the speed to cover the map quickly consider

it your job to do this..

• You will be a support tank as needed..

• You will block gaps in your line namely to stop your team being flanked if a flank becomes static?..

• You will be the 'Opportunist/Harrasser'...This means just because you are small with zero armour doesnt mean you cant be useful?..You need to keep up with the battle and harrass the enemy (Turn turrets)

as your team will feed of your actions..

• You will become a 1 man army and hold a flank alone by just outspotting the opponants...their 6th sense will go off and make them nervous and so will put them on the back foot...this will give your arty

a chance to work aswell.(This works aswell when you want to gain map control and take certain positions)

• 'Lone wolf'...You will look for lone targets preferably on low health to circle to death (But beware outstaying your welcome?..I normally go by the '3 shot rule' meaning if you cant kill them in 3 shots then

dont bother as their support will come to help them in that time.

Later in the game (If you can survive that long?) is when you will get to shine in the battle as your V/R and cammo becomes very useful indeed.

..Consider your tanks set-up aswell?...I normally go for Optics and bino,s on all my lights that have 'High cammo' as this gives you an ability to adapt to all situations...In lights you need the ability to adapt as that is

what this class does the best (Some better than others?)...it is the only class that can do this and as such you need to exploit the fact..''

...Yes its a TLDR but well worth the read:child:...Hope it helps a little??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light tanks are..and will always be a multi-role vehicle and as such they should be used that way..

They can still do the same things they used to do before the patch (And should still do when bottom tier)..but your role just changes dependant on where your are in the tiering...

ie if you are..

• top tier.. try to lead and do damage..(But you can still do all that you used too)
  • Mid tier...Support/Spot/Do damage   (But you can still do all that you used to do)
  • Bottom tier..Do all that you used to do..

Thing is with lights not only will your role change depending what tier you are ....but your role is different depending what light you play..(Yes!! They might be same tier in the garage but they all will play

differently depending on the tanks strength?)...Many players forget this..

Some lights have bigger profiles and as such are not 'Great' at spotting (Active or not)..Some have autoloaders and as such are played completely different to non-autoloaders etc..Each light is played different ie

to its strengths (Or it should be at least?)

Light tanks are kings of 'Adaption' and as such should be used as so during a battle..

I think in a 'Nutshell' playing lights is a bit like being 'Mother' to your team....you need to revolve around them..and not them around you....and TBH i think if you understand the concept of symbiosis you have nailed it.:girl:

Sorry for the TLDR but hope it helps:honoring:

Element6_TheSprout #14 Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

General

• Player
  • 28169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

You do not need to learn 15 new things all at once, I upped my LT play noticeably by simply making sure that the edge of my viewrange circle was slightly into the enemy's half of the map instead of my tank being on the middle of the map, especially early battle. Start with one thing and then implement new knowledge as you go along and start to get comfortable with the new tactic, the important thing is that these techniques become reflexes so that you do not stop and spend time thinking of them, but rather that they go about by themselves. 

People who are really good at LT play use what Strappster said with the same ease that you and me use WSAD to move the tank.

Kozzy #15 Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38543 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

Another thread where someone asks a good question and gets good answers (Strappster's in particular).  I hope others read this and can gain something in terms of getting better in light tanks - arguably the hardest class to play well in. +1

For me the best advice I got initially was "stay alive longer".  I kept doing risky things, usually early on, and getting caught out.  Whatever you are doing, try to stay alive a little longer as lights are deadly in the late game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users