Is WoT Blitz the better tank game?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Qnubis #1 Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:52 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4230 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Hello, I have been playing WoT Blitz lately a lot and grinded my way to T8 with a friend so far. I have to say, I am actually gonna switch games and make Blitz my favorite tank game. While there are obviously graphical differences, it has, imo the better mechanics.

1. There is no artillery, this was the #1 reason that convinced me to try it. While it is true that arty is supposed to counter "super" heavies (in theory), without it the game still plays fine.

2. Maps that are not just 1 heavy line, 2 medium flanks and TD / Arty camp behind bushes. In WoT Blitz the campers get outflanked quite easily because the maps allow you to. Hull-down is powerful but so are opportunities to get around.

3. Ammunition is somewhat balanced, all the premium ammo in Blitz has the downside of dealing less damage, all of it, no exception. You pay damage for penetration. A good player will deal more damage and be rewarded for weak spots. You can also swap the ammunition type on the fly, you never have to shoot the Borsig with APCR and you can simply switch to HE and pen him for extra damage. A nerf and buff for everyone, again rewarding the smart player.

4. Every tank starts with sixth sense. A mandatory skill for everyone, you get it for free, why shouldn't you if EVERY SINGLE PERSON picks it. It should be baseline, period.

5. The Matchmaking is +1/-1, and it is as awesome as I always thought it would be in WoT, it is way more balanced, a heavy can still play it's role, a TD will still be competitive with his DPM vs just 1 Tier higher. No stupid 3/5/7 template. I actually did some testing and the MM seems to favor 3/4 or 4/3. It also was very close to 50% if you are top tier or bottom tier, this INCLUDES PLATOON. No more punishment for playing with a friend... that Löwe you bought? Yeah, enjoy +1/-1 in a platoon while being 50% top tier. As it should be!

These 5 points are absolutely superior to normal WoT. Now of course I am not demanding WG to copy their own game, it is already there to play anyway. And people switching to Blitz wouldn't even lose them money as it's the same company. But please... your Blitz development team has fundamentally made a better tank game, this is a praise to that team and a plea at the PC WoT Dev Team to consider adding some things to this game. I love this game and Blitz, but I can't deny the Blitz version to be better, bad teams will still happen, and one-way face stomp matches. But I never felt bad because of the game's fault. It is still the same proven recipe of fun but I believe a lot of things can easily be translated to this iteration.

Is the community interested in some of those things? :)

Best Regards!

Edited by Qnubis, 10 April 2018 - 01:56 AM.

Spurtung #2 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:13 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61575 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostQnubis, on 10 April 2018 - 02:52 AM, said:

Is the community interested in some of those things? :)

1. would be hard to implement in mobile platforms anyway.

2. yes. I don't think anyone can say maps are great in the PC version.

3. this could be a way, and instant swap, not a "might" that needs a trained skill.

4. skills need a massive overhaul, not just that.

5. I don't think anyone would dislike such MM. 8/7 with +1/-1 or full 15 all the time. Much more fair, to everyone.

Homer_J #3 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

No.

Bye, have fun.

Qnubis #4 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:27 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4230 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostSpurtung, on 10 April 2018 - 01:13 AM, said:

1. would be hard to implement in mobile platforms anyway.

2. yes. I don't think anyone can say maps are great in the PC version.

3. this could be a way, and instant swap, not a "might" that needs a trained skill.

4. skills need a massive overhaul, not just that.

5. I don't think anyone would dislike such MM. 8/7 with +1/-1 or full 15 all the time. Much more fair, to everyone.

About 1: Yeah, I just pointed it out that arty is not needed because camping heavies already get countered by flanks and scary TDs which often have enough pen to punish them. Since arty is often regarded as the "counter" to them but clever map design already solves the issue.

I also forgot to add that there are no official mod support other than some sound modification I found almost nothing. Especially no XVM, I am not even the greatest player (recent around 2000 I guess) but I still felt the lack of focus. After the match you can grasp how good everyone was by clicking on their profile but that's about it. No in-game "guide" that tells you to kill this tank because he is a better player. A lot more about which tank is the most dangerous to kill.

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 01:26 AM, said:

No.

Bye, have fun.

Don't worry, I am not leaving. WoT is the best Tank game, I just enjoy the Blitz version at this very moment more. But I won't leave PC version for events I will always come back for example. :)

Edited by Qnubis, 10 April 2018 - 02:31 AM.

Homer_J #5 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Tactics in Blitz = drive to the middle, stop, shoot.

Spurtung #6 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61575 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostQnubis, on 10 April 2018 - 03:27 AM, said:

I also forgot to add that there are no official mod support other than some sound modification I found almost nothing. Especially no XVM, I am not even the greatest player (recent around 2000 I guess) but I still felt the lack of focus. After the match you can grasp how good everyone was by clicking on their profile but that's about it. No in-game "guide" that tells you to kill this tank because he is a better player. A lot more about which tank is the most dangerous to kill.

XVM should have been banned ages ago. Ultimately, it only brings toxicity to the game.

Renesco #7 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21161 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 02:26 AM, said:

No.

Bye, have fun.

More posts than games = opinion discarded. You're a professional forum EDIT.

Edited by Kampa1987, 10 April 2018 - 01:00 PM.
Insult

Qnubis #8 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4230 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 01:30 AM, said:

Yeah, that works on Mines, as it does on PC. But the other maps the middle means death because the decent teams go either left or right or a combination of that. The middle is certain quick death because you get shot to pieces quickly (can't have cover 360° ). I mean low tier this behavior is true but around T6+ going middle you will just die.

Edited by Qnubis, 10 April 2018 - 02:36 AM.

Strappster #9 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:40 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

1. Meh.

2. That sounds good but I wonder if it's because the game isn't played by enough regulars for a meta to form.

3. Dear god, really?! :amazed: You can swap ammo in the PC version too, it just takes some foresight. Even if PC went the same way in trading pen for lower damage, I'd still want to spend time reloading. Instant swaps without Intuition would be a serious sticking point for me, I like my arcade tanks to have some depth otherwise what's the point of learning how to play it properly?

4. Yeah, I can see the argument for that, I don't think I've got any commanders without it, even on my arty. The same applies in Warships, though that's a very different kettle of fish.

5. Funny how you left out the bit about teams being 7v7. ;)

As for whether those points make the game better than the PC version is a matter of personal preference. I haven't played Blitz and have no intention of starting because your description makes it sound like a dumbed-down version of the PC game. I'd rather fail in a game with depth than succeed by swapping to easy mode.

View PostRenesco, on 10 April 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

More posts than games = opinion discarded. You're a professional forum nolifer m8, I don't think anyone cares for your opinion.

Another way to consider it is that he's far more engaged with the game and community than some scrub who only drops in to whine about how terrible everything is while continuing to play the game. Go ahead and point and my post count but please check my signature first because I have a reputation to uphold. :rolleyes:

Edited by Strappster, 10 April 2018 - 02:40 AM.

unhappy_bunny #10 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:41 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Glad to hear you have found a game you prefer. 

Personally, I dont want to buy a new device to play on, so I am happy to stick with the PC version.

As to your 5 points:

1. Arty is not a problem in my view. Yes it is annoying when it hits you, but then that applies to any vehicle that can hit you from an unseen position halfway across the map. 

2. The maps are not so much of a problem either. There are maps where you can flank an enemy, Steepes, Glacier to name but two. 

3. I like the sound of the Premium Ammo difference. That does sound a little more balanced. As to swapping ammo on the fly, you can do that on the PC, just double tap 1,2,or 3. Or are you saying there is no delay on Blitz if you change ammo?

4. I fail to see why having to earn Sixth Sense, or any crew skill/perk is such a problem. It applies to everyone. We all have to do it. 

5. MM is also fine, although I would interested in seeing how +1 or -1 works, and I would like platoons not to be penalised so much as they seem to at the moment.

While the PC version might not be perfect, it sounds like Blitz is a little bit of a dumbed down version, with some of the "work at it" aspects removed. I am happy to leave the two versions as they are. That way WG are catering for all tastes.

Homer_J #11 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 10 April 2018 - 02:41 AM, said:

Personally, I dont want to buy a new device to play on, so I am happy to stick with the PC version.

You can play it on a PC, which makes a mockery of it being a mobile game especially since the tablet/phone controls are so dire.

Oh, and OP forgot the greatest thing about Blitz.  It's pure pay to proceed.  Don't want to play that free exp sink but don't have any exp to convert.  No problem, just buy that exp.

unhappy_bunny #12 Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 02:26 AM, said:

No.

Bye, have fun.

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

View PostRenesco, on 10 April 2018 - 02:31 AM, said:

More posts than games = opinion discarded. You're a professional forum EDIT.

While Homer might not be contributing constructively to this discussion, at least he is introducing a little humour into it. 

You on the other hand just sound like a bitter and twisted old grouch. 

unhappy_bunny #13 Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:00 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 02:51 AM, said:

You can play it on a PC, which makes a mockery of it being a mobile game especially since the tablet/phone controls are so dire.

Oh, and OP forgot the greatest thing about Blitz.  It's pure pay to proceed.  Don't want to play that free exp sink but don't have any exp to convert.  No problem, just buy that exp.

Thanks for that. I didnt realise you could play it on the PC. 

Balc0ra #14 Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:18 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

To each their own. I find Blitz to be fun now and then. But short fun.

1: Maps are like 250x250m. Even Mines is half the size vs PC. So arty would make no sense on it. Even less when you run 7 vs 7. Instead of 15 vs 15.

2: That's because they are all designed to be fast paced games vs PC. Most matches don't last long, and they don't want to you drive for 5 min to find the enemy. It's usually 2/3 open field with hilly terrain, and 1/3 town, temple or old fort walls so you have something to cover behind. And there is no line for anything. Because in a 7 vs 7. You die if you go the small banana road alone in a HT, when the other 6 are meds flanking railway and you face all of their teams alone. As "lemming" push the norm there. You stay in a group to have a chance due to the small map and team size. But on maps that are 3 to 4 times bigger with 2x bigger teams. Going in a group of 15 don't work to well at times when you don't have "lanes" to cover. So unless you shrink the WOT maps down to 250 to 400m and cut the team size to 7. There will always be a HT lane to cover.

3: Something to keep in mind. Most guns have more alpha and pen vs PC. Tanks also have more HP. Heck even the IS-6 has over 200 pen. If not the matches would be to short, to wierd or just a bounce fest. So they did balance it their way to make the 7 vs 7 aspect on smaller maps work better. So it's not just 2 min matches all the time.

4: That's because there is no crew skills as such either. They have class skills instead that works on levels. You pick the skill you want to focus on, and all the XP goes into that. Giving a bigger bonus pr level that works on all lights or mediums etc. Heck there is even skills to give you a small % chance to increase pen on one class that only works every 10th shot or what ever it was. Just as there is equipment to give you more armor or more pen by %. So you can even have a more effective HE. As again... balanced for a 7 vs 7 on small maps. Not 15 vs 15 on 1km by 1km maps. So it makes sense tbh.

5: It's +1 due to the low population combined with a low team count pr battle. So +2 would not work to well there tbh. So it's done like that for a reason. Then again, as I also said. Guns and tank HP etc is balanced differently. So there it works. Adding most of those things for PC without the rest to balance it would not work tbh. As blitz never had a super heavy meta even. And considering +0 games on tier 8 and X is the worst with all that armor of late if you play some sub 200 pen tanks. It's not gonna be ideal here either.

I would love to see a class skill system like they have here. But as for the rest? tbh idk. As I said it works better there due to the 7 vs 7 on way smaller maps as the game is more fast paced.

Edited by Balc0ra, 10 April 2018 - 03:20 AM.

Spurtung #15 Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:35 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61575 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostStrappster, on 10 April 2018 - 03:40 AM, said:

View PostRenesco, on 10 April 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

More posts than games = opinion discarded. You're a professional forum nolifer m8, I don't think anyone cares for your opinion.

Another way to consider it is that he's far more engaged with the game and community than some scrub who only drops in to whine about how terrible everything is while continuing to play the game. Go ahead and point and my post count but please check my signature first because I have a reputation to uphold. :rolleyes:

The sound effect of that reply reminds me of a HEAT round on a Type 5.

Homer_J #16 Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I tried to like it.  I played it on my tablet but that could only manage 12fps at best.  I tried it on my phone but when you need two thumbs on the screen for controls there isn't much left for seeing what you are doing.  I tried it at Tankfest on the tablets which WG provided.  The controls were still dire.  I tried it on my laptop and that's when I found the gameplay was just bad.

Homer_J #17 Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRenesco, on 10 April 2018 - 02:31 AM, said:

More posts than games 

I checked my Blitz profile and I have 31 times as many games as posts.  Not that it's relevant.

slitth #18 Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11931 battles

While I like Blitz and would like to see some of the function in "PC version", it is not a better game.

The entire game is much simple in the setup and the best tactics I have seen is pack-hunting.

As far as I am concerned it a nice "relaxed" version of WoT.

1. As for the lack of artillery, the size of the maps, speed of game play and how the game is played would make artillery ineffective.

There are few place where you see a battle line drawn and when it is, it does not last long.

So artillery would get 2 or 3 good shoot in before the game would be over.

2. The size of the maps and teams does not allow for an across the map confrontation like we see in the "PC version"

If you spread the team out like you do in the "PC version", you are i danger of getting kill by a pack.

3. It harder to aim on a tablet so you need to give all tank good ammunition.

4. The skill system from blitz is something I would see an advanced version of in the "PC version"

But I just because I am not fond of binding the skill to a single crewmember.

5. The +1 MM would be nice to see in the "PC version", but I do not think is something that should be done overnight.

Element6_TheSprout #19 Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHomer_J, on 10 April 2018 - 02:51 AM, said:

I agree that playing with PC controls vs. touch controls is a mockery, but a colleague of mine at work says he can set an option in the settings that he will only play against players with the same kind of device, but that this is limited to ordinary randoms, whenever he's taking part in competitions/events he can see players with a mouse icon next to their name. Nevertheless it is still a fairness issue.

Baldrickk #20 Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29503 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 10 April 2018 - 06:52 AM, said:

I agree that playing with PC controls vs. touch controls is a mockery, but a colleague of mine at work says he can set an option in the settings that he will only play against players with the same kind of device, but that this is limited to ordinary randoms, whenever he's taking part in competitions/events he can see players with a mouse icon next to their name. Nevertheless it is still a fairness issue.

I tried blitz originally on my phone. 

It was terrible, mainly due to the points you made earlier. 

My win rate using the PC was 82%.

The smaller teams make entire battles like the clean-up phase on PC, and if you have any skill it makes it really easy to dominate.

That's before you take into account those that are playing on mobile, who are pretty easy to spot by the fact that they generally can't drive and shoot at the same time, and are terrible at both due to the wonky controls with no haptics...  You can literally sit in the open in front of these guys, at least when they are on the enemy team, or just outdamage them with ease when they are on yours. 

I got bored easily.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users