Jump to content


I never knew how well armored light tanks were before patch 1.0


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

TheOddRogue #1 Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 9985 battles
  • 443
  • Member since:
    08-08-2012

 

Damn. All this time i've been playing heavy tanks for armor when I should've used lights. 

 

This happens quite frequently. 



Pansenmann #2 Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 33678 battles
  • 12,382
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-17-2012

View PostTheOddRogue, on 10 April 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

 

Damn. All this time i've been playing heavy tanks for armor when I should've used lights. 

 

This happens quite frequently. 

 

well, did you shot HEAT?

it looks quite like that :)

 

anyways, you can always hit an odd angle etc,

but those moments are quite rare to be honest.

believe me when I say that I was sometimes very happy that <insert TD here>

bounced my rear when playing french LT - whereas in 99% of similar situations I would of lost 3/4 of my hitpoints...

 

try to take the view of other side too and try every tank class,

I for myself fail in TD pretty much. apart from Ferdinand, but that's more a turretless HT...



Hedgehog1963 #3 Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 50864 battles
  • 7,356
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View PostTheOddRogue, on 10 April 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

 

Damn. All this time i've been playing heavy tanks for armor when I should've used lights. 

 

This happens quite frequently. 

 

I ricocheted an FV 215B 183 once in a T49.  No idea how it happened.  Unfortunately all my screenshots from then (approx 2 years ago) are gone.

vcristi #4 Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 65899 battles
  • 320
  • [3NRGY] 3NRGY
  • Member since:
    08-10-2011

View PostTheOddRogue, on 10 April 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

 

Damn. All this time i've been playing heavy tanks for armor when I should've used lights. 

 

This happens quite frequently. 

 

So much information from that screenshot...Do you have the whole variant of it, so we can see what tank and ammo you used?

firelars4 #5 Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 43084 battles
  • 107
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    02-04-2013
If you hit an external module you'll still get the message "armour not penetrated" this is most likely what happened.

Frostilicus #6 Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

    Major

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 22423 battles
  • 2,775
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011

I once shot at an A-20 (you know, the fireworks and petrol factory on tracks), with a fully aimed in BL-10 shot from my ISU-152 and bounced, you can only chuckle :)

 

I have also found that although this new MM isn't great for tier 8 prems, it does make lights much more fun IMHO 



mortalsatsuma #7 Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13099 battles
  • 1,595
  • Member since:
    06-13-2014
It's happened so much to me recently bouncing off the sides of bottom tier LTs when I have like 200mm+ penetration. Of course I know it's just something that happens when you get unlucky and 'critical hit' a track and you will notice it way more of course than bouncing off of other tanks. 

spuriousmonkey #8 Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 42857 battles
  • 3,201
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    06-23-2011
Maybe it happens occasionally when you hit a light tank. When you drive a light tank you bounce constantly on heavies, meds and TDs.

Simeon85 #9 Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 1097 battles
  • 2,297
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013

Auto-bounce, if you don't have the ability to overmatch the armour plate you hit then above 72 degrees for AP/APCR is going to bounce whatever the pen of your gun. 

 

It's why WG scrapped the changes to the autobounce mechanism they were going to bring in with the Swedish TDs (can you imagine how OP they would have been) because people on the test were sidescraping in Borsigs and bouncing like JpE100s. 



Malakhi75 #10 Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 24855 battles
  • 220
  • Member since:
    07-02-2011
T100-lt came over a ridge at me in a 103-0 with the top gun.....it bounced on his under belly from 10 yards.  It happens

Dava_117 #11 Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18538 battles
  • 2,739
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostSimeon85, on 11 April 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Auto-bounce, if you don't have the ability to overmatch the armour plate you hit then above 72 degrees for AP/APCR is going to bounce whatever the pen of your gun. 

 

It's why WG scrapped the changes to the autobounce mechanism they were going to bring in with the Swedish TDs (can you imagine how OP they would have been) because people on the test were sidescraping in Borsigs and bouncing like JpE100s. 

 

Yes, but then the description would have been "ricochet", not "armour not penetrated". 

It's more likely he hit an external module like view ports or gun, that get a saving roll (hence not critical hit icon), in a point that was more than 10 times the shell caliber away from primary armour.



uglycousin #12 Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 43179 battles
  • 3,540
  • [TFUK] TFUK
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View PostHedgehog1963, on 10 April 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

 

I ricocheted an FV 215B 183 once in a T49.  No idea how it happened.  Unfortunately all my screenshots from then (approx 2 years ago) are gone.

 

... I once bounced from a french light while playing the Jageroo with AP. I just stopped there for a few seconds to process what just happened there... :D

Enforcer1975 #13 Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 20515 battles
  • 10,541
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-04-2014

View PostDava_117, on 11 April 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

 

Yes, but then the description would have been "ricochet", not "armour not penetrated". 

It's more likely he hit an external module like view ports or gun, that get a saving roll (hence not critical hit icon), in a point that was more than 10 times the shell caliber away from primary armour.

 

It might be the same problem with that indicator like we have with the more or less random commander feedback on hits. Every replay it's different. 

Dava_117 #14 Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18538 battles
  • 2,739
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostEnforcer1975, on 11 April 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

 

It might be the same problem with that indicator like we have with the more or less random commander feedback on hits. Every replay it's different. 

 

Maybe, but have to say I found them quite accurate...

XxKuzkina_MatxX #15 Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 47738 battles
  • 1,382
  • [RU18] RU18
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

View Postuglycousin, on 11 April 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

 

... I once bounced from a french light while playing the Jageroo with AP. I just stopped there for a few seconds to process what just happened there... :D

 

but you also bounced a jagdtiger on the back of your turret while driving an lttb on sandriver :)

uglycousin #16 Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 43179 battles
  • 3,540
  • [TFUK] TFUK
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 11 April 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

 

but you also bounced a jagdtiger on the back of your turret while driving an lttb on sandriver :)

 

My last dumb bounce was while driving the T30 with the 750 alpha gun. And I bounced a shot aimed at the rear of a E50 ... the shell went so low that it bounced from his belly ... 

 

These dumb bounces happen from time to time. Sometimes it is funny, sometimes quite the opposite. :)



Hendrik3 #17 Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 2766 battles
  • 146
  • [T-ANK] T-ANK
  • Member since:
    02-04-2013
I once bounced off an M44 as it was backing up a hill, so basically I bounced off it's "roof" - and it's an open vehicle.
Was quite disappoined, it only needed 1 shot and someone else got him.

That had me puzzeled for a bit - must have hit a particular part at an odd angle.

bstb3 #18 Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 37408 battles
  • 238
  • [VBRJ] VBRJ
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

I got the same last night, along with a cheery " we didn't penetrate their armour" from the commander, as the light tank went on to kill our Arty (oh, the pity). Was shooting a bc-12 with my T95, AP shell. I just assumed it went into his tracks. Funnily enough he flipped his tank just after killing our Arty, pretty much right in front of me, and my next shot was a full health ammo rack on him  :teethhappy:

 

On topic, I'm not sure those messages are much help really. 



Junglist_ #19 Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 35931 battles
  • 1,332
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013
1 bounce on a LT definitely warrants a topic and all the armor of LTs needs to be immediately nerfed by at least 50% this is simply unacceptable

mortalsatsuma #20 Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13099 battles
  • 1,595
  • Member since:
    06-13-2014
I've seen a replay of a T49 with derp penning an E-100 turret for ridiculous damage once. Turned out the shell had somehow passed between the hull and turret and struck the turret ring which it penned. Guarantee that t49 player could not make that shot again with a million attempts at it.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users