Jump to content


Enjoy the Game-Turn off the Chat


  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Strappster #41 Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23685 battles
  • 8,829
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostHeidenSieker, on 11 April 2018 - 10:03 PM, said:

I have battle chat on, and try to use it for the intended purpose. It can be useful; it's often fun; sometimes people need a complaint for "Inappropriate behaviour in chat"; but you can ignore just it if there's nothing good showing. Ah! Except the ping-spammers, that is. There should be a special category for *them*.

 

In Warboats you have to double-click a map square to highlight it and dead players can't ping. Those two things seem to have ended map spam before it ever began.

ellua #42 Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:19 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 1160 battles
  • 555
  • Member since:
    09-29-2011
In game command menu and map clicks are good enough for WoT tactics. Chat is like exposing yourself to gigantic, mass stupidity. And  so many ppl don't understand most basic English.

Cobra6 #43 Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16298 battles
  • 15,138
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

View PostThinGun, on 11 April 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

 

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anyone discuss tactics in chat.  Unless you count some tomato pinging random squares to show everyone that he recognises the map, or someone shouting 'HILL' and wondering why the TDs and arty don't follow him.

 

I do, each battle when I'm dead I stick around and give my team pointers to go to and things to do to win the battle since pretty much all the time I was on the most important flank engaging the most dangerous enemy tanks which makes it easier for them to win the match in the long run.

 

Cobra 6



ThinGun #44 Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33283 battles
  • 913
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostCobra6, on 12 April 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

 

I do, each battle when I'm dead I stick around and give my team pointers to go to and things to do to win the battle since pretty much all the time I was on the most important flank engaging the most dangerous enemy tanks which makes it easier for them to win the match in the long run.

 

Cobra 6

 

That's very noble of you.  Me, I'm off to the garage as soon as I'm dead.  I wouldn't be interested in the advice of someone who'd already died, so I assume no-one would be interested in what I've got to say.  If you're dead, you played badly - end of - it's incredibly presumptuous to think that your advice is worth anything, when you've already proven your poor tactical choices.

Cobra6 #45 Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 16298 battles
  • 15,138
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2010

View PostThinGun, on 12 April 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

 

That's very noble of you.  Me, I'm off to the garage as soon as I'm dead.  I wouldn't be interested in the advice of someone who'd already died, so I assume no-one would be interested in what I've got to say.  If you're dead, you played badly - end of - it's incredibly presumptuous to think that your advice is worth anything, when you've already proven your poor tactical choices.

 

If it was a tomato, yes indeed that is valid.

 

However as I said I'm always at the most dangerous/crucial flank in the fight and if the team fails to properly support I die faster. This has got nothing to do with poor tactical choices but with knowing what needs to be done to secure a victory.

 

Either I pull trough and after securing the most important flank have an easier time rolling up the enemy *OR* I die but manage to stall the enemy long enough, doing enough damage to them, to make sure my team has an easier job cleaning them up afterwards as the most dangerous tanks are already dead or severely damaged.

You need to know when it's better to stand your ground and die then to run away and lose the match and this insight comes with experience.

 

Cobra 6


Edited by Cobra6, 12 April 2018 - 11:09 AM.


ThinGun #46 Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33283 battles
  • 913
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostCobra6, on 12 April 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

 

If it was a tomato, yes indeed that is valid.

 

However as I said I'm always at the most dangerous/crucial flank in the fight and if the team fails to properly support I die faster. This has got nothing to do with poor tactical choices but with knowing what needs to be done to secure a victory.

 

Either I pull trough and after securing the most important flank have an easier time rolling up the enemy *OR* I die but manage to stall the enemy long enough, doing enough damage to them, to make sure my team has an easier job cleaning them up afterwards as the most dangerous tanks are already dead or severely damaged.

You need to know when it's better to stand your ground and die then to run away and lose the match and this insight comes with experience.

 

Cobra 6

 

Well, you're entitled to hold a high opinion of yourself.  Just as I am entitled to believe that anyone who has died in a game has made a poor tactical choice.  My view is that, unless one is are actively contributing to reducing the overall health of the opposing team, one is a liability.

NoobySkooby #47 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 8309 battles
  • 1,146
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostWrinkly, on 11 April 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

OP, this is a team game. If you can't / won't work as part of a team, then perhaps this is not a game for you.

 

True it is a team game but so many times in a random battle no one plays as a team, throw in a suggestion in the chat and it is simply ignored, you then die and tell somene about who is coming where the enemy team is and you get told to 'stfu.'

 

Team play is only possible if you toon with someone, and even them if it is not coordinated by verbal chat ie: teamspeak, and with people who you knoew ie: other clan members. Even then the abuse follow with whatever decision you make, making the whole point of team play somewhat elusive.



NoobySkooby #48 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 8309 battles
  • 1,146
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostCobra6, on 12 April 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

 

If it was a tomato, yes indeed that is valid.

 

However as I said I'm always at the most dangerous/crucial flank in the fight and if the team fails to properly support I die faster. This has got nothing to do with poor tactical choices but with knowing what needs to be done to secure a victory.

 

Either I pull trough and after securing the most important flank have an easier time rolling up the enemy *OR* I die but manage to stall the enemy long enough, doing enough damage to them, to make sure my team has an easier job cleaning them up afterwards as the most dangerous tanks are already dead or severely damaged.

You need to know when it's better to stand your ground and die then to run away and lose the match and this insight comes with experience.

 

Cobra 6

 

Are you two saying you never die in battle, wow i really need to toon with you guys so I can become unicom, lol, I mean how many times do you have to follow the lemming rush, or die alone, how many times does the team as a whole go to one side of the map, so you have to follow or just sit and defend the base as you know you are going to get flanked?

 

Here is a genuine tactical question for you guys regarding any tank which is slow, but in this I will name the Tog.. Is the best tactic to try and head somewhere to hopefully join the battle, or is it to sit by the base and defend it for the eventual arrival of the enemy team? I am a one year playing noob so I'm entitled to ask such silly things, but the n the TOG is such a silly tank.

 

 

I dare say i might get some flak for saying that too:trollface:



mpf1959 #49 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 11370 battles
  • 428
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View PostThinGun, on 12 April 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

 

That's very noble of you.  Me, I'm off to the garage as soon as I'm dead.  I wouldn't be interested in the advice of someone who'd already died, so I assume no-one would be interested in what I've got to say.  If you're dead, you played badly - end of - it's incredibly presumptuous to think that your advice is worth anything, when you've already proven your poor tactical choices.

 

Wise words.

Some people appear unable to grasp that self importance and self delusion are mere microns apart! ;)



Eight_Ball #50 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

    Captain

  • Clan Commander
  • 36757 battles
  • 2,484
  • [AVOS] AVOS
  • Member since:
    09-07-2011
Been away for almost a year, and upon return: No changes in the chat - so I'll do as before: Ignore the chat.

ThinGun #51 Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33283 battles
  • 913
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 12 April 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

 

Are you two saying you never die in battle, wow i really need to toon with you guys so I can become unicom, lol, I mean how many times do you have to follow the lemming rush, or die alone, how many times does the team as a whole go to one side of the map, so you have to follow or just sit and defend the base as you know you are going to get flanked?

 

Here is a genuine tactical question for you guys regarding any tank which is slow, but in this I will name the Tog.. Is the best tactic to try and head somewhere to hopefully join the battle, or is it to sit by the base and defend it for the eventual arrival of the enemy team? I am a one year playing noob so I'm entitled to ask such silly things, but the n the TOG is such a silly tank.

 

 

I dare say i might get some flak for saying that too:trollface:

 

No mate.  I die a LOT.  What I'm saying is, if I die .. I will not hang around offering advice to the rest of the team.  My opinion is, if someone dies, they made a mistake - I don't want to hear their advice.  I take my own advice on that!

TOG play is tough.  Bit of a cop out, but I'd say - it depends.  You have to judge the flow of the battle - put yourself in a position where you can defend, but can pull up to the middle to support a rush to enemy base.  I have the same issue with the FCM 36 Pak 40, which has a top speed of about 16kph.  Should I stay or should I go?  It depends....  I often make a mistake and find myself on my own at home base, or blown to bits in the middle of the field as the enemy beat off our attack.  BUT - I make fewer and fewer mistakes as time goes by.

m1x_angelico #52 Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 21887 battles
  • 741
  • [-VETO] -VETO
  • Member since:
    01-04-2015

View PostHQ65, on 11 April 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Hi Everyone,

 

I was getting really annoyed at all the spam, hate chat, bigotous, prejudice, demeaning, and just out right dirty nasty stuff that goes around in the in game  chat? Not to mention the whining, crying, your so bad, it's all your fault stuff!

 

There is so much spam going on in chat now a days. In my opinion, the  worst being from team members who have died and make it totally impossible to carry on any kind of constructive chat to maybe plan on what the best thing is to do next in the match.

 

I recently turned off my chat and the game has never been so enjoyable..

 

Just a sugggestion, but give it a try. It makes the game so much better.

 

For even better effect, don't play the game any more, stay in your flat and talk to no one. It's amazing how enjoyable, yet anti-social, it is...

Strappster #53 Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23685 battles
  • 8,829
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostThinGun, on 12 April 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

No mate.  I die a LOT.  What I'm saying is, if I die .. I will not hang around offering advice to the rest of the team.  My opinion is, if someone dies, they made a mistake - I don't want to hear their advice.  I take my own advice on that!

 

I think it depends on the advice. I have no time for someone who gets wrecked and then starts telling the team what they should have done but I'll pay attention to someone who's providing useful information such as the suspected position of the camper that shot him or how the enemy are disposed or whether it's possible to cap in the time remaining.

 

Last night, for example, I pointed out that all the remaining enemy tanks were on one flank and only their arty was unspotted so my team could push the other side in relative safety. They did and we won; when I told them, they'd been sitting in cover watching that flank for the previous few minutes so I think it was worth pointing out.

 

If I can't add anything useful or don't think it'll be interesting to watch (or I'm running PRs) then it's straight back to garage.


Edited by Strappster, 12 April 2018 - 06:57 PM.


ThinGun #54 Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:01 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33283 battles
  • 913
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostStrappster, on 12 April 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

 

I think it depends on the advice. I have no time for someone who gets wrecked and then starts telling the team what they should have done but I'll pay attention to someone who's providing useful information such as the suspected position of the camper that shot him or how the enemy are disposed or whether it's possible to cap in the time remaining.

 

Last night, for example, I pointed out that all the remaining enemy tanks were on one flank and only their arty was unspotted so my team could push the other side in relative safety. They did and we won; when I told them, they'd been sitting in cover watching that flank for the previous few minutes so I think it was worth pointing out.

 

If I can't add anything useful or don't think it'll be interesting to watch (or I'm running PRs) then it's straight back to garage.

 

Point taken.  I guess I'm used to advice from dead people being more like abuse than constructive comments.  

I wouldn't really bother staying behind to offer advice because I'm such a rubbish player.

Strappster #55 Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23685 battles
  • 8,829
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostThinGun, on 12 April 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

Point taken.  I guess I'm used to advice from dead people being more like abuse than constructive comments.  


I wouldn't really bother staying behind to offer advice because I'm such a rubbish player.

 

 

I often find there's something to be learned from watching others play (whether that's something right or horribly wrong) but then I'll also watch good players streaming and review ace tanker replays of tanks I'm struggling with so I'm probably one of those no-lifers who'll finish the marathon the grindy way.

 

The biggest problem I have is remembering to take the time when I'm playing to use the stuff I know. I talk a good game on here but in game it often flies out the window because brrmmm brrmmmm tanky tank go boom! :child:



HeidenSieker #56 Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 10046 battles
  • 4,588
  • Member since:
    03-26-2016

View PostThinGun, on 12 April 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

That's very noble of you.  Me, I'm off to the garage as soon as I'm dead.  I wouldn't be interested in the advice of someone who'd already died, so I assume no-one would be interested in what I've got to say.  If you're dead, you played badly - end of - it's incredibly presumptuous to think that your advice is worth anything, when you've already proven your poor tactical choices.

 

I very much disagree with this. As a team player, it is sometimes necessary to expend your tank for the team win.



HeidenSieker #57 Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 10046 battles
  • 4,588
  • Member since:
    03-26-2016

View Postkaptainkrunch, on 12 April 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

Here is a genuine tactical question for you guys regarding any tank which is slow, but in this I will name the Tog.. Is the best tactic to try and head somewhere to hopefully join the battle, or is it to sit by the base and defend it for the eventual arrival of the enemy team? I am a one year playing noob so I'm entitled to ask such silly things, but the n the TOG is such a silly tank.

 

Split the difference. Get somewhere to be useful, from which you can still defend the base or get it in view to do so should there be an issue. Depends on the situation and the map.



HeidenSieker #58 Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 10046 battles
  • 4,588
  • Member since:
    03-26-2016

View PostStrappster, on 12 April 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

I often find there's something to be learned from watching others play (whether that's something right or horribly wrong) but then I'll also watch good players streaming and review ace tanker replays of tanks I'm struggling with so I'm probably one of those no-lifers who'll finish the marathon the grindy way.

 

Yes. I am recently told that watching videos or replays is "pathetic" (I think it was): but there's a good deal of value in doing so. I tend to research on "wotreplays.eu", rather than streamers (who may be objectionable) or Youtube, because with a replay it's possible to look around on the map to view the terrain from different angles, which is really useful.

Strappster #59 Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23685 battles
  • 8,829
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostHeidenSieker, on 12 April 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

I tend to research on "wotreplays.eu", rather than streamers (who may be objectionable) ...

 

I know what you mean, I don't watch some of the popular streamers because I've got better things to do than watch a man-child throwing a tantrum. There are plenty of other streamers who take a more measured approach; Yzne and Zeven are great players, Mountain Man is rather laid back and Percuk is a Russian lady, I can't understand a word she says but she's excellent in light tanks (and no, she's not a boobs streamer).



HeidenSieker #60 Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 10046 battles
  • 4,588
  • Member since:
    03-26-2016

 

View PostStrappster, on 12 April 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

Yzne and Zeven are great players, Mountain Man is rather laid back and Percuk is a Russian lady, I can't understand a word she says but she's excellent in light tanks (and no, she's not a boobs streamer).

 

I have watched some of Zeven's commentaries. With the others, I can'tseem to get past the advertisements (This ad. supports...), unfortunately.

 

I do prefer wotreplays, though. Search for a specific vehicle, on a specific map, if you like. Find other players' replays. While the replay is in progress, left-click & then view all around, which can't be done in videos!






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users