Whats The Point of Progetto 46?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Search_Warrant #1 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:07 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27131 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Is it not just a clearly worse Lorrain 40t in every aspect? i dont see the point of the Progetto when Lorrain40t exists. someone explain why they even bothered with yet again another pew pew pew tank? it even has a measly 90mm with only 3 shots compared to lorrain40t's 100mm way more pen and alpha AND more shells in the clip. auto-reloader really doesent do anything worthy of the gimpness it gets in comparison.

WG like making useless pointless tanks for the sake of it?

Edited by Search_Warrant, 12 April 2018 - 02:08 AM.

K_A #2 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:13 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The point is 2 shots with a 17-second reload with the possibility for a third shot if you really, really need it in that situation. It's more flexible and doesn't get caught out on a long reload if you play your cards right. At least I guess that's what the gimmick is supposed to be. I'm certainly drawn into it and if I get a good enough discount off of the marathon event I'll dish out a couple bucks for it for sure.

Search_Warrant #3 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27131 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostK_A, on 12 April 2018 - 01:13 AM, said:

The point is 2 shots with a 17-second reload with the possibility for a third shot if you really, really need it in that situation. It's more flexible and doesn't get caught out on a long reload if you play your cards right. At least I guess that's what the gimmick is supposed to be. I'm certainly drawn into it and if I get a good enough discount off of the marathon event I'll dish out a couple bucks for it for sure.

I get the reloader is interesting. but i think the clip potential is pretty bad and the DPM for a 90mm is IS-3 levels of bad (single shot i think? based on tanksgg). it has no armor and the roofs triple overmatch for 90mm guns.

Strappster #4 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:19 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You know it's not compulsory to get one, right? :unsure:

I'm pleased to see it because it's a new tank, new nation, and a new mechanic that you could dismiss as a worthless gimmick or you could choose to see as a good sign for the game's on-going development because it shows WG are still looking for new and different things to add further depth to the game.

I wouldn't have bought one. I am going to try to get one through the marathon. I like the idea of playing it as a single-shot medium with the option of unloading the clip to finish tanks off and I'll find out when/if I get one if it suits me.

It's easy to be cynical about everything and always look for the negative. It's a bit harder to celebrate the positives instead but it's a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.

Search_Warrant #5 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:22 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27131 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostStrappster, on 12 April 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

You know it's not compulsory to get one, right? :unsure:

I'm pleased to see it because it's a new tank, new nation, and a new mechanic that you could dismiss as a worthless gimmick or you could choose to see as a good sign for the game's on-going development because it shows WG are still looking for new and different things to add further depth to the game.

I wouldn't have bought one. I am going to try to get one through the marathon. I like the idea of playing it as a single-shot medium with the option of unloading the clip to finish tanks off and I'll find out when/if I get one if it suits me.

It's easy to be cynical about everything and always look for the negative. It's a bit harder to celebrate the positives instead but it's a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.

Just looks like a worse Pilot1 in my eyes for a single shot with a tad more pen. autoloader wise it looks like a poor lorrain40t. guess im just getting tierd of 90mm mediums at tier 8.

Meista #6 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:31 AM

Corporal

• Clan Diplomat
  • 81884 battles
When you reload one shell for 99% and you shoot - does it reset the reloading?

Strappster #7 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:43 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 12 April 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

Just looks like a worse Pilot1 in my eyes for a single shot with a tad more pen. autoloader wise it looks like a poor lorrain40t. guess im just getting tierd of 90mm mediums at tier 8.

Yeah, I can see your point. Ask me a few months ago what tanks I hated and tier 8 mediums with 240-alpha would have been top of the list. Now though, it's more of the same but I'm focusing on the differences rather than the similarities. Sure, a Lorraine might be the better option but there isn't a marathon for a Lorraine and I wouldn't buy either of them as I suspect I wouldn't do much better in them than any of my other tier 8 premiums.

View PostMeista, on 12 April 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

When you reload one shell for 99% and you shoot - does it reset the reloading?

Yes, I watched QB doing exactly this a few times when he was streaming it. It makes sense if you watch the video as all the positions in the clip move forward, so the tray you were loading the third shell into moves away from the shell.

K_A #8 Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 12 April 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

I think the whole point is exactly that. If you confine the tank to strictly a single shot it's unremarkable, and if you play strictly as an autoloader it's again unremarkable, but the whole point is the flexibility to switch from single to auto depending on your situation. It remains to be seen how effective it's going to be in the hands of pubbies but a lot of the youtubers seem to like the flexibility it provides.

F2PEXP #9 Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:20 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3403 battles
I thought it was a crew trainer  for Italian tanks?

Troubledove #10 Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:40 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 42632 battles
  • [METAL] METAL
You have both - continuous DPM and burst DPM.

You skulk around and use your single shots  first. Your DPM is not even decent but you can afford to take uncertaim shots - or if there is good opportunity - two shots - and you are not on excessive reload.

If needed you can defend by putting up 720 burst damage. Or you can ration that burst damage to multiple targets - you could take out two or three low HP defensive tanks even if you supported the assault with single shots before they reload.

Key here is that unlike traditional high tier clip tanks you don't have excessive reload penalty for using your gun in moderate. You won't lose your "full clipping" for more than 9 seconds by taking a single shot. All other clip tanks spend their burst potebtial by shooting and need full reload to reach full clip.

VarzA #11 Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19530 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 12 April 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

Is it not just a clearly worse Lorrain 40t in every aspect? i dont see the point of the Progetto when Lorrain40t exists. someone explain why they even bothered with yet again another pew pew pew tank? it even has a measly 90mm with only 3 shots compared to lorrain40t's 100mm way more pen and alpha AND more shells in the clip. auto-reloader really doesent do anything worthy of the gimpness it gets in comparison.

It's a t8, de-rated Skoda T50.

It's overall a pretty good tank, with good gun handling that is not easy to judge when to rush against it.

Adaptability is what makes it special.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66064 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

You're looking at is as a clip tank. It is. But at the same time it's not. It can choose when to use the burst damage or not. Lorr has to use all 4 rounds before he can reload, and has to decide when it's safe to reload if he still has rounds left after a kill.  Progetto goes 1 round at the time getting in the Lorr's face before he decides to use the burst damage to finish him off. As the Lorr lacks burst damage to kill a tier 8 med. Progetto don't have to rely on that. And that's the difference and point of it. That and the Progetto can use a gun rammer. With vents, rammer and BIA his DPM is 436 higher then the Lorr. But still lower vs most tier 8 meds.

But still... from what I've seen so far. It's looks like it's gonna give 240 alpha tier 8 meds a run for their money on most 1 on 1's. As it only gets 48 less dpm vs the Cent 1 with a full setup. So I would still pick that over the Cent 1 due to the gun versatility. And it still gets more DPM then the Pershing in single fire mode.

Edited by Balc0ra, 12 April 2018 - 08:15 AM.

Simeon85 #13 Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:45 AM

Major

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Have you played the Lorraine? 

The gun handling is awful, just look at it -

Posted Image

The point of this tank is a fast firing autoloader, with a small burst damage, that has good gun handling and accuracy, plus has the added flexibility of being able to decide whether it wants to fire single shot or fire two shots or the whole clip without needing to reload for 35s.

If you look at it as a normal autoloader, then it does 720 damage in 4s, with a 25s reload (because it is able to mount a rammer), the Lorraine does 1200 damage in 7.5s, with a 35s reload. 

That already stacks up ok, I think the M35 DPM as a pure autoloader (where you fire the whole clip and the reload) is around 1500, compared to the Lorraines 1684, so not a big difference there. You fire a smaller clip, but you fire it faster and reload the clip 10s faster.

However you have the ability to slip into being a 2k DPM single shot if needed or something in between, all those times with an autoloader where you fire 1-2 shots and then wonder whether you should reload for 35s or whatever, well doesn't matter with tank because only get the chance to fire one shot you reload in like 7s and you have a whole clip, only get to fire two shots? well doesn't matter in 14s you will have a full clip again. 

FatigueGalaxy #14 Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19273 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Lorraine is an autoloader. Progetto is a single-shot tank (because if you fire 3 shots everytime you trash your DPM and can get yourself into trouble very easily) with an option to use 3-shot burst.

Lorraine outclasses almost all tier 8 mediums, Progetto outclasses all ~250 alpha meds (because it's almost as good as those when using single-shot but with added option to fire 3 shots when needed). I think there is a point to it and it's a tank that offers new and interesting gameplay (deciding when it's better to keep firing 1 shot or use your 3-shot magazine).

We should be asking - what's the point of every other ~250 alpha medium tank since Progetto can do their job as well and more.

unhappy_bunny #15 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18012 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

The point is to have a crew trainer available when the Italian tree is introduced.

What is sneaky is that by introducing the premium before the tree, you have a crew partly trained, so you are tempted to switch it for gold when you have moved up the Italian tree. 

TheOddRogue #16 Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9988 battles
It's trash by default, you know, since it's a tier 8. 

MeetriX #17 Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:56 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20435 battles

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 12 April 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

The point is to have a crew trainer available when the Italian tree is introduced.

What is sneaky is that by introducing the premium before the tree, you have a crew partly trained, so you are tempted to switch it for gold when you have moved up the Italian tree. 

*cough*Type 59*cough*

Enforcer1975 #18 Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostK_A, on 12 April 2018 - 03:26 AM, said:

I think the whole point is exactly that. If you confine the tank to strictly a single shot it's unremarkable, and if you play strictly as an autoloader it's again unremarkable, but the whole point is the flexibility to switch from single to auto depending on your situation. It remains to be seen how effective it's going to be in the hands of pubbies but a lot of the youtubers seem to like the flexibility it provides.

Many pubs who don't know a thing about game mechanics thinking it's just another autoloader will probably fail hard in it in the long run because i think that reload style will be very harsh to you if you make a slight mistake. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 12 April 2018 - 04:09 PM.

demon_tank #19 Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24970 battles
  • [NOS] NOS

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 12 April 2018 - 01:07 AM, said:

Because the new auto reloader mechanic gives you the option to play this tank in the same battle both as a single shot & as an autoloader depending on the situation which gives you an advantage over all other tanks.

For example you hold a corner/ridge vs 1 enemy tank with 1500hp and you contunuously shot him with single shots until he gets to 750 hp and then you push him using your full clip of 3 shells to kill him. Something you cant do in a T69/Loraine 40t or a Pershing/T44/Type 59/Sta/Panther plus the enemy will be HELPLESS.

Its both a novelty and a useful mechanic to use.

Also it would make sense for you to be worse than a single shot or worse than a autoloader if you choose to play this tank without switching between the 2 modes/commiting only to 1 of the 2 modes.

What part of this dont you get ? This tank has a high skill gap.Its best suited for VERY GOOD PLAYERS and if you dont like it dont play it.

Edited by demon_tank, 12 April 2018 - 05:07 PM.

Strappster #20 Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postdemon_tank, on 12 April 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

This tank has a high skill gap.Its best suited for VERY GOOD PLAYERS ...

I don't care, I'm going to try to get it anyway. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users