WunderWurst‘s take on the new marathon

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

HundeWurst #1 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 70107 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

Hello fellow players. I just had a bit sparetime so I decided to think about about the upcoming marathon, and how I am going to approach it.

So with other words: This is coming from a rather good player, so if you are already „disgusted“ by my calculations you might be even sadder when your skill level is applied:

Some general thoughts:

Playing tanks for just the sake of the mission does not make a lot of sense. If you can combine certain grinds for either a tankline or credits I would strongly suggest to just ignore the tier 10 gameplay option.

However you can obviously always first try to make „the hard option“ work. If you feel/see that its not going to happen, better stop early than late.

As we now know that ONLY the base exp is counted towards this event, no x2, x3, or even x5 or premium time, or any other multiplyer you should figure out yourself on what tanks you will get the best average exp. For me that would be tier 8 premiums by quit a margin, or some of my tier 9 mediums which heavily overperform due to exessive gold spam.

Hence it seems it would make the most sense to play tier 8 premiums for the grind. In the meantime you will make plenty of credits on top. Its the best „win win“ I can come up with.

(I manage roughly 800 base exp on my tier 8 tanks)

Mission 1 – 1 High Calibre, or 5000 exp

Well thats not to hard, either one is obviously entirely doable. Its down to preference. I guess I get 1 „High Calibre“ ever 4 games in my tier 10 tank. Hence I either play 4 games on a tier 10 tank, or 6 games in any other tier, preferably tier 8 premium.

Mission 2 – 5 times 4.000 damage blocked, or 7000 exp

This is a nobrainer. First of all the tier 10 mission requires you to have a Maus, Type5, and or 268V4. Without them you dont even need to try. Also 4000 blocked damage is A LOT on tier 10. That aint going to happen every game, maybe every second or third if the player only plays for that stat. I guess if you are very lucky you might get that done in 10 battles, but expect more like 15 or even 20. Also this mission is not really skillbased either.

On the other hand the 7000 exp is easy peasy. Roughly 10 games in a tier 8 premium and its done. On a good day thats a bit more than 1 hour gameplay.

→ Stay away from the tier 10 mission. Its stupid this time.

Mission 3 – 5 times top damage, or 15000 exp

Well being top damage in your tier 10 is not hard but neither does that happen every battle. I guess I would get that done every second battle so I would need roughly 10 games. Also note that picking certain tanks which might end up more in a 3 5 7 matchup is going to help. Scouts seem to end up more frequently in there. So load them gold shells on your scouts and give it a go.

The exp might need you to play at least 20 battles. Thats something like 2 hours of play. Might be a perfect time to activate on of the credit boosters and go.

Well I guess the best thing is to start on tier 10. If you have some luck you might get there quit fast. If it might not work you can still switch to another tier and coninue with the exp grind.

Mission 4 – 10 times 850+ base exp, or 30000 exp

Boy! That escalated quickly….

Well first about the exp. That would be roughly 40 games on tier 8 premiums for me, something like 50 or even 60 for an average player. With other words A LOT!

The tier 10 mission is however also quit high. Getting that kind of base exp is not that easy on a tier 10 as there are not higher tiers to shoot at.

I can imagine that I can do that every second game. Hence I would need 20 battles for that mission on tier 10 tanks only.

I guess its save to say that you might want to pick your poisen already :).

Mission 5 – 10 times 4000 blocked, or 35000 exp.

Well here its the same like before. If you dont have the right tanks… Dont even try. Also be aware that a lot more people are going to try this mission. You will be competing with many others.

The exp on the other hand would make me play something like 50 battles at least. That already 5!!! hours…. For less skilled players you could assume even 8 hours of gameplay.

This one I think is the worst of them all, for me as a good player. Still I would go with the tier 8 premium approach and try to make an insane amount of credits.

However I am pretty certain that I dont have the time nor the will to finish that mission, and so will many and more. Wave your free premium goodbye at this point.

Mission 6 – 5 times High Calibre, or 35000 exp

Well for a good player this should be easy. In roughly 10 till 15 tier 10 battles this should done. For the average. I guess I can only wish you good luck. You might want to try first, however always remember, there is more than just you going for the high calibre.

Well exp stayed the same, same 5 or even 8 hours dependent in your skill. Nobody is gonna play that much.

Mission 7 – 15 times top exp own team, or 40k exp

Well now sheit gets real. 15 times top exp on a tier 10 is a LOT. That might take me 30 till 45 battles alone on tier 10. I guess yet again… Good luck as an average player.

Exp got more again as well. 40K equals roughly 50 til 90 battles dependent on skill. Say hello to a 10 hours session….

Mission 8 – 20 times top damage own team, or 45k exp

Well same as before. Only the numbers went up yet again. No way to do this in under 5 hours as far as I can see. The worse the player the longer the time.

However this time I would try with the exp. The amount of battles played seem rather similar to me.

Mission 9 – 20 times more than 850 base, or 50k exp

Well nothing new here. Only the ever increasing amount of time needed to get this done. You know the drill by now. For tier 10 I would plan with 40 till 50 battles, for the exp more like 60 till 80 battles. Go figure

Mission 10 – 20 times top by exp, or 50k exp

Same old same old. You crunch the numbers this time as your homework :) !

So conclusions:

You will need a lot of time. This is not a free tier 10 premium tank for my taste. Ofc WG cannot give it away but that one big ugly mountain to climb.

Go and try but I would say that you need at least something like 50 hours of gameplay, if not even 75 hours to get that run done.

If you have the time, do it, if you dont just try. You can always buy it on the last day with a decent discount.

Edited by WunderWurst, 13 April 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Flavortown #2 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16165 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Its not too bad if you got the right tanks. Maus/268v4 and  medium(s) that you can play well.

Only 4 missions i can see myself having problems is the high caliber ones due to the funky mm and the blocked dmg ones due to maus being boring to play.

also mission 8 is top dmg, not exp

Search_Warrant #3 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27629 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

So long story short. T-44-100 all over again. im not gonna bother getting this thing. i dont have the patience nor willpower to stand up to the hoards of tomato teams every match. i have a Type5 and im getting gold sniped every match. i just cant bounce 4k with how badly my team crumble.

Edit: damage blocked missions are just stupid. gold ammo negates the mission so i dont understand why WG bother with doing them.

Edited by Search_Warrant, 13 April 2018 - 04:17 PM.

IncandescentGerbil #4 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35775 battles
All this fuss for a tier VIII premium that will spend 75% of its battles facing 268v4s and 907s? Lols.

Search_Warrant #5 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27629 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 13 April 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

All this fuss for a tier VIII premium that will spend 75% of its battles facing 268v4s and 907s? Lols.

Indeed. i was expecting pilot1 levels of missions but they REALLY think people care that much about another paper 90mm medium at tier 8? i dont. i just think the missions are terrible.

VarzA #6 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22611 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

WunderWurst .... i came to about the same conclusion, though from your point of view it's even worse.

You are a unicum, and you can consistently do good, while having a nice collection of tanks to choose from.

And even for you it's 'every 3-4 missions', which means that if you go full 'skill' you might need 300-400 battles.

That is a lot in 2 weeks, when you consider that you can play at most around 6 battles per hour, that is 60-80hs.

Also, July is probably when the italian mediums will be top of the tree. :)

IncandescentGerbil #7 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35775 battles

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 13 April 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Indeed. i was expecting pilot1 levels of missions but they REALLY think people care that much about another paper 90mm medium at tier 8? i dont. i just think the missions are terrible.

It's more WG cynicism, but you can just imagine the hordes of spotty teenagers begging their dads for ten more euro or whatever they need to complete the marathon. Will make WG more cash than a straight sale, as not many would have bought it otherwise. But yeah, good luck with your novel reloader, as you struggle to decide how many shells you'd like to bounce off the V4.

Keyanu #8 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10183 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 13 April 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

Hello fellow players. I just had a bit sparetime so I decided to think about about the upcoming marathon, and how I am going to approach it.

So with other words: This is coming from a rather good player, so if you are already „disgusted“ by my calculations you might be even sadder when your skill level is applied:

Arrogant much?

geoff99 #9 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 38758 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostKeyanu, on 13 April 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Arrogant much?

​No, not in my experience, just pointing out the facts. WW is invariably helpful and constructive in his comments.

THE_JACK_OF_HEARTS #10 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9513 battles
just buy it ya cheapskates.................

wsatnutter #11 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 25360 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
nice post

spuriousmonkey #12 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 44726 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postgeoff99, on 13 April 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

​No, not in my experience, just pointing out the facts. WW is invariably helpful and constructive in his comments.

Yup. And he is a good player. 

Ceeb #13 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:58 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 30834 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

Arrogant much?

Really.  You got arrogance from that post.  

I got very good player saying it how he sees it.  

Which is why I'm not dancing to WG beat.  They are creating a T8  that will overpriced for years.   Just look at the T-44-100 price against other T8s 

D4wiD3K #14 Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

Yeah, this confirms my expectations. I've already conceded before it even begins and this time I won't be playing anywhere near enough to possibly get it without even trying. This tank will simply not find its way to my garage.

It's a very good tier 8 medium tank which is a rare sight but I don't think it will add anything substantial to the mix. The only tolerable +2/-2 tanks nowadays are lights. Many heavies and TDs are competitive enough if played passively but to me playing as passive support tank just gets old. Mediums with +2/-2 matchmaking are almost every game going to have this role and they just lack proactive potential. This thing will be just another bland support tank in a tier where 90% of the tanks are forced to play support in most battles.

It looks great on paper but the current matchmaking will nerf it quite hard. It also just won't have the fun factor of ELC EVEN and with LTs being valuable as bottom tiers(which is what you can expect most of the time) I wouldn't be surprised if this was a worse tank than the ELC in practice. I think most people who look at the tank's stats forget this and they conclude it's a much better tank than it will be on the battlefield. So no thank you. Even with 4 female crew members sitting in my garage waiting to be recruited.

Arrogant much?

47% much?

Edited by Daxeno, 19 April 2018 - 03:55 PM.

TheComfyChair #15 Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8017 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKeyanu, on 13 April 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Arrogant much?

I thought it was rather informative. People get triggered far too easy now :child:

Mentlgen #16 Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31975 battles
I couldn't care less about that tank. Credit boosters is what i'm after :coin:

_Dunc_ #17 Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38700 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Couple of things.

1) are you referring to yourself in the 3rd person now? It's a sure sign of advanced sociopathy

2) Tier VIII premiums are really hard work thanks to amazing matchmaking - often getting dumped as bottom tier and unable to do anything useful, My recommendation for the pure XP grind would be to use Tier VII as the matchmaking is kinder, and thus you're more likely to generate higher base XP.

AuroraBoreaIis #18 Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39309 battles

Good post. 

While the pro way sounded good at first, when thinking it through it's actually quite the challenge. I think I will not even try it, because I'm dreading buckets full of 268 V4's at tier 10 and gold ammo galore. Could kill the fun rather quick. 

I think I will try to make it to stage 7, while playing casually. Spending the remaining tenner isn't the end of the world. 

brisha #19 Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15928 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Good thread, I consider WW an excellent player not good, good players can double all those numbers, and for 99% of the player base the T10 missions are simply unreachable, they will grind the XP before they complete the missions.

Now lets get to the vast majority of the player base, the terrible and bad players will literally die at the keyboard trying to complete this.

Even the good players, will struggle big time with this, lets take loss streaks for example and oh boy there will be plenty of those, this is where you lose and get 100-200 base xp, so buy and extra keyboard and mouse as you can expect a lot of them being thrown out the window.

There is a lot of excitement about this marathon, I give it a week and that excitement will turn to anger, the threads will soon mount up with that anger.

It's way beyond me, the time needed is simply to much, way, way to much so I will never have this tank and will never buy it.

D4wiD3K #20 Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

View Postbrisha, on 13 April 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Now lets get to the vast majority of the player base, the terrible and bad players will literally die at the keyboard trying to complete this.

If only, but I think you're being too hopeful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users