Yo WG, why do you hate Sheridan so much?

sheridan

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

shogun_PL #1 Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41662 battles
  • [W0RMS] W0RMS

Thought Sheridan was a promising tank... now 47% winrate after 500 games, at 2K WN8. Tried everything, troll gun, 105 gun, active spot, passive spot, really everything, with 4 perk crew (full camo, experimental optics, BIA). Am no pro, but you know, am more than average, I know how to play lights. WTF have you done to this tank WG? Why introduce such a thing to the game at all?

I took a test. Came back to playing BC 25t. No problem, I can easily keep 54% winrate and 2,5K WN8.

Took another test. I installed XVM (I don't generally use mods.) HA! GOT YA! Sheridan gets super crap MM. Always bots in the team, always at least 3-4 more yellow/reds than the opponents. You could walk on your hands, and it won't help the team to win!

Why WG, why introduce Sheridan to the game and hate it so much?

Edited by shogun_PL, 15 April 2018 - 12:02 AM.

DracheimFlug #2 Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9127 battles
To be fair, it wasn't a particularly successful tank historically. 

Edited by DracheimFlug, 15 April 2018 - 12:28 AM.

shogun_PL #3 Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41662 battles
  • [W0RMS] W0RMS

Tough argument mate :arta:

I guess historically TOG was even more crap, though in the game I get 54% winrate at 1,9K WN8, am no heavy tank player, and I've only played TOG to have a good laugh.

And seriously, it's not about the tank. The tank is fine, at least average. It's about WG matching it into loser teams. Server average winrate for Sheridan is 47% . Something's really wrong here....

Edited by shogun_PL, 15 April 2018 - 12:43 AM.

Temid23 #4 Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54174 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

WG doesn't hate Sherindan they just hates You - to use BOB classic :B

Its a fun derp tank don't try to make it anything else. Want to spot use something smaller, want to pew pew with small gun use use tank that cant mount 150mm gun. It's best in just running around map and trying to derp red tanks for 900+ dmg.

Who the hell cares about wn8 and other crap... use other lights for that Serindank is for Phun :playing:

Shaade_Silentpaw #5 Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23439 battles

WG doesn't hate Sheridan, they hate light tanks in general.

shogun_PL #6 Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41662 battles
  • [W0RMS] W0RMS

View PostTemid23, on 15 April 2018 - 12:15 AM, said:

use other lights for that Serindank is for Phun :playing:

Ok, so now I get it! Soviet tanks are designed for boring wins, and Sheridan is a fun loser. Silly me, how could I miss that.

:child:

malachi6 #7 Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 50492 battles
WG's Gimp a specific player algorithm gets better and better.  It used to be just the player now it is the player in a specific tank.  They should sell the technology to the NSA.

Temid23 #8 Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54174 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

View Postshogun_PL, on 15 April 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

Ok, so now I get it! Soviet tanks are designed for boring wins, and Sheridan is a fun loser. Silly me, how could I miss that.

:child:

Don't play much tier 10 lights as tier 10 is way to much ebola in any tank for my taste. Few games i played on live server and dozen more on test i played same way as t49 = derping and having fun. As for other tier 10 light tanks AMX or China WZ i liked the most and won the most games in that 2 tanks.

Again Sheridan is the worst platform for 105mm gun (maybe together with German light) this is sad true. Do what you want with it.

Schepel #9 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 61727 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View Postshogun_PL, on 14 April 2018 - 11:58 PM, said:

Thought Sheridan was a promising tank... now 47% winrate after 500 games, at 2K WN8. Tried everything, troll gun, 105 gun, active spot, passive spot, really everything, with 4 perk crew (full camo, experimental optics, BIA). Am no pro, but you know, am more than average, I know how to play lights. WTF have you done to this tank WG? Why introduce such a thing to the game at all?

I took a test. Came back to playing BC 25t. No problem, I can easily keep 54% winrate and 2,5K WN8.

Took another test. I installed XVM (I don't generally use mods.) HA! GOT YA! Sheridan gets super crap MM. Always bots in the team, always at least 3-4 more yellow/reds than the opponents. You could walk on your hands, and it won't help the team to win!

In a TX, you have to carry your weight and more. It isn't that you get bad teams, at least no more than anybody else in the long run. It is simply that the Sheridan is a bad tank compared to the other TX lights. (OK, the German light is even worse, but nobody in his right mind is playing that particular thing on a regular basis.) If you want to play a tank with nice little howitzer, stick to the T49. Does everything the Sheridan does, but you can leave the hard carry job to the boys and girls in TX tanks. In general, when it comes to spotting, stick to T8 and T9. If you want a light medium, play the BC, T-100 or the Chinese TX scout. 

D4wiD3K #10 Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:18 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 15 April 2018 - 02:32 AM, said:

WG doesn't hate Sheridan, they hate light tanks in general.

I don't honestly see much substance in this outside of tier 10 and to an extent 9. I think in the current meta lights are much better than they have been for ages because mediums are mostly extinct. 

Just like with TDs people just whine about light tanks because making them work requires some skill nowadays and in World of Tanks people are traditionally used to being pampered to the extent where skill is secondary and the player should be able to "master the tank class" if he's capable of doing 1-2 things right. Carrying binocs and camo net and sitting in a bush just doesn't cut it anymore and I feel that draws too much of a line between good and bad light tank players. You see many people being happy that maps like Province come back, an infamous sealclubbing map that came down to who camped base the hardest with binocs and the best crew. In almost no other game would such reaction be possible but World of Tanks is the one game in which dumbed down, broken gameplay with practically no skill needed is seen as "awesome".

I had hardly played light tanks and loathed them until around New Year 2018. I considered myself miserable with them as well and never saw a point in touching them because they felt like underwhelming mediums. It probably wouldn't be a stretch to say that light tanks were by my worst performing class. However this time they felt very different, I hadn't played them for a long time and with all the changes to matchmaking(=scout matchmaking removed and bottom tier 75% of the time), and the downfall of medium tanks lights suddenly resulted in a fun and efficient tank type for me. They retain their strengths even when bottom tier and they give you more options than trying to dig out sidescraping bots in their heavies while the arty hammers you. There are maps that are "bad for light tanks" but the truth is that such maps tend to be just as bad for bottom tier heavies/mediums(which is the case for 75% of the games).

World of Tanks is nowadays all about heavies sidescraping in the local bot areas in mostly unflankable positions, and people "countering" the masses of armor by playing TDs and camping base. The gameplay in general is very passive with most tanks either camping a corridor in their heavy or sitting in base with a TD. With arty giving them an extra layer of protection by hitting anyone who is trying to dig them out I have lost interest in heavies and mediums. Now add in the factor I mentioned before where you are bottom tier 75% of the time and you are often left without any viable play and your role is being free XP. Playing an ELC EVEN is just much more efficient in a world like this.

Light tanks are good at digging out camping TDs and taking good early positions in areas far away from the super heavies. They can also often out-spot the super heavies which often results in the most important enemy tank taking lots of damage or even dying, and even in the worst case it usually at least keeps the super heavy irrelevant for an extended period. The fact that LTs no longer get the "super awesome" scout matchmaking that consistently kept them irrelevant also helps. Scout matchmaking is yet another example of a stupid, broken concept that some players liked because apparently being useless is fun so once every few hundreds of games they can post a replay of an "epic" -3 matchmaking carry when the stars aligned and they got a good game. Only in World of Tanks, eh?

Of course many of the oldschool LT players are upset that their scout matchmaking is gone and their light tanks received minor nerfs as result of basically going up a tier. The power level of these tanks went up significantly but these players typically had no understanding of the game and they refused to admit that pure scouting was dead and a system that kept light tanks scouts also kept them weak and irrelevant. I remember being puzzled when the light tank players always whined about light tanks sucking but at the same time were categorically against any changes other than adding more no-brain camping bushes onto the maps.

The point is that light tanks are in a better position than for a long time but the people who insist on playing them as if it was 2012 are sentenced to fail on them. Like I mentioned before I was a woeful light tank player just a few months ago. Not a disaster but the next worst thing. The average green player was better at oldschool light tank gameplay but as a 90% heavy/medium player I was good at the important areas of the game. All I really had to do was to figure out how to make those things work on tanks that are extremely fast and keep their camo on the move. Considering how godawful I was with light tanks the transition phase didn't take all that long. Now I almost only play tier 7-8 light tanks and I haven't seen any dip on my recent win rate(63%) and with the current matchmaking it's very hard to imagine I'd get better results by playing heavies or mediums that spend most of their time on the bottom of the list.

One key tip I could also give is to stay away from light tanks that have bad camo rating such as the USA line(T92 doesn't count). They are just fail mediums that get spotted so easily that they simply cannot gain any positional advantage that the stealthier light tanks live of and what makes them efficient. Keeping your camo on the move doesn't mean anything if there isn't any to begin with. The German Bulldog is the most overrated light tank in the game and you'll hear lots of people tell you it's overpowered even though it's doing really poorly on the areas that a light tank depends on. It's just a less bad tier 8 medium than most tier 8 mediums, and as a tank it is distinctly average.

Light tanks are only really bad at tier 10. On other tiers I find them perfectly fine and I'd even go as far as to saying that in most tiers they are better than mediums.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 16 April 2018 - 02:29 AM.

Strizi #11 Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39183 battles

View Postshogun_PL, on 14 April 2018 - 11:58 PM, said:

Sheridan is good. Its like a Patton-Light with good gun handling, gun depression and good dpm for a light. I enjoyed it and 3 marked it before 1.0 and flat maps are on average more open now so Sheridan should still be good.

mollethepro #12 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8334 battles

ITS AMERICAN AND SO IT HAS TO BE BAD.

meaning its not russian :)

Schepel #13 Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 61727 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostStrizi, on 16 April 2018 - 02:23 AM, said:

Sheridan is good. Its like a Patton-Light with good gun handling, gun depression and good dpm for a light. I enjoyed it and 3 marked it before 1.0 and flat maps are on average more open now so Sheridan should still be good.

In what universe does the Sheridan have good gun handling? That gun is atrocious.

mortalsatsuma #14 Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13541 battles

View PostDracheimFlug, on 15 April 2018 - 12:28 AM, said:

If this game actually took historical accuracy seriously, these things would have like a 1-20 chance of having the ammunition cook off the second it started moving. 

I know that's not entirely true by the way but I have read a number of stories about the ammunition for the Sheridan's armament constantly falling apart and being generally more dangerous to the tank crew than the enemy.

Cannes76 #15 Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 68778 battles
  • [TAKE] TAKE
When in doubt, blame the MM.

Strizi #16 Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39183 battles

View PostSchepel, on 16 April 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

In what universe does the Sheridan have good gun handling? That gun is atrocious.

I dont know what Sheridan you drive but my Sheridans gunhandling is comfortable with the 10,5. You can snap shots the dpm is ok there is nothing to complain about besides typical lght tank trash accuracy and pen dropoff.

_Sensation_ #17 Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7886 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL
They hate lights in general yes, and performing 2k wn8 in a t10 light tanks isn't that spectaculair either

3Form #18 Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 17658 battles

View PostSchepel, on 16 April 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

105mm? 1.6s aim time,  0.12 dispersion on move and traverse, 0.05 on turret traverse. Pretty good!

Pure joy compared to the gun on the WZ-132-1 hahah.

Edited by 3Form, 16 April 2018 - 05:58 PM.

IncandescentGerbil #19 Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35775 battles
True story: the Sheridan tank was named after TV's Sheridan Smith, of Two Pints fame.

Private_Pearts #20 Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22734 battles
  • [WOPR] WOPR

View PostDracheimFlug, on 15 April 2018 - 12:28 AM, said:

Good job it isn't a historically accurate game then or most of the tanks wouldn't even exist.

Also tagged with sheridan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users