Grant crew perks question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Ace42X #1 Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5903 battles

So, the crew for my Grant are nearly at 100%, and thus ready for perks / skills.

I've got a few ideas rumbling around my head, but I don't really know enough about the nitty-gritty to evaluate their relative merits, so would like some feedback and suggestions.

First option:  All brothers-in-arms; possibly with Recon / Sixth Sense on the Commander.
Rationale - The Grant's main virtue is the large (6-man) crew, which helps to make up for the limited turret, high profile, and squishiness.  Brothers-in-Arms maximises the contribution of each crew member.

Second option:  All Camo; possibly with Recon on the Commander.
Rationale - I spend a fair amount of time under camo-net + binocs behaving like a hybrid Light / TD - Camo and Recon makes it easier to ambush, downside is that camo doesn't work so great with large crews as it's essentially throwing away perks / skills in order to avoid watering down what would otherwise be one crewman's skill.

Third option:  Mixed Perk loadout:  Clutch Braking on the Driver (because lack of turret traverse makes turning on the spot fast important); Deadeye + Snapshot on the two gunners (to maximise precision and impact of ambushes); Brothers-in-Arms on the loaders (Not sure how much of my incoming damage is due to ammo rack going up, but I suspect tank's too squishy in general to make that an issue); Sixth Sense on the CO (just because it's incredibly useful, and I don't know how beneficial eagle-eye would be).

Or perhaps a mixture of the above?  Any thoughts?

Homer_J #2 Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28712 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

1st thing to realise is that it will take 210064 exp to train the first skill/perk.

perks only work when fully trained.

So if you assign a perk it will be quite some time before it is active.  During that time all the exp you are earning is doing nothing.

The second skill will take twice as long.

BiA only works when the whole crew is trained on it to 100% so training 5 on BiA and the commander on 6th sense is pointless.

Are you planning on keeping your Grant for 210k worth of exp?  It might be better to look at what skills will be useful on future tanks.

BTW the radioman skill Situational Awareness gives a bigger view range increase than Recon on the commander.

What I would do is train skills, then either use gold to switch them at 100% or wait until they are 42% on the 2nd skill and then use silver to change them.

Tramp_In_Armour #3 Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5752 battles

View PostAce42X, on 15 April 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

So, the crew for my Grant are nearly at 100%, and thus ready for perks / skills.

I've got a few ideas rumbling around my head, but I don't really know enough about the nitty-gritty to evaluate their relative merits, so would like some feedback and suggestions.

First option:  All brothers-in-arms; possibly with Recon / Sixth Sense on the Commander.
Rationale - The Grant's main virtue is the large (6-man) crew, which helps to make up for the limited turret, high profile, and squishiness.  Brothers-in-Arms maximises the contribution of each crew member.

Rationale - I spend a fair amount of time under camo-net + binocs behaving like a hybrid Light / TD - Camo and Recon makes it easier to ambush, downside is that camo doesn't work so great with large crews as it's essentially throwing away perks / skills in order to avoid watering down what would otherwise be one crewman's skill.

Third option:  Mixed Perk loadout:  Clutch Braking on the Driver (because lack of turret traverse makes turning on the spot fast important); Deadeye + Snapshot on the two gunners (to maximise precision and impact of ambushes); Brothers-in-Arms on the loaders (Not sure how much of my incoming damage is due to ammo rack going up, but I suspect tank's too squishy in general to make that an issue); Sixth Sense on the CO (just because it's incredibly useful, and I don't know how beneficial eagle-eye would be).

Brothers In Arms is a perk (as is Sixth Sense), so applying it now makes no sense, as it doesn't work until 100%. Best reset a skill in the future for that. Generally speaking, the best first skill is either camo or repairs. Grant goes on to Sherman III, but neither have great camo ratings. Camo may help, but tank is still annoyingly visible. Repairs may help if you plan on waiting for crew to repair a busted track, but depends on your style of play as a Medium. I would go for Camo first on ALL crew. The other skills are more useful later.

Planning on keeping the Grant? Then maybe clutch braking and snap shot will be good. Not what I would go for, but then I got rid of my Grant as quick as poss.

Ace42X #4 Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5903 battles
To clarify:  I don't intend to buy any gold - so AFAIK only way to get the perks is to grind them out for hundreds of thousands of experience points with no benefit.  I do plan on keeping the Grant for my own personal collection, so I am looking at perks / skills that will suit it, rather than suit the Sherman or subsequent tanks.

As for whether I'd rather have skills go up and thus get the benefit of them as I grind from the get-go; or whether I'd rather get the first beneficial perks out and then grind the rest, I'm open to advice.

The grant's 320hp seems too squishy to worry about repairs, etc – It's either alive and fine or outright dead in my experience, although maybe there's some core vulnerabilities I'm not accounting for (ammo rack going up, for example?).

Oh, and there's no radio-man in a Grant.  2 loaders, 2 gunners, driver, CO.

Edited by Ace42X, 15 April 2018 - 04:41 PM.

azakow #5 Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75901 battles

View PostAce42X, on 15 April 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

To clarify:  I don't intend to buy any gold - so AFAIK only way to get the perks is to grind them out for hundreds of thousands of experience points with no benefit.  I do plan on keeping the Grant for my own personal collection, so I am looking at perks / skills that will suit it, rather than suit the Sherman or subsequent tanks.

As for whether I'd rather have skills go up and thus get the benefit of them as I grind from the get-go; or whether I'd rather get the first beneficial perks out and then grind the rest, I'm open to advice.

I suggest to have a read here: http://wiki.wargamin...kills_and_Perks First and then come back and ask your questions.

Homer_J #6 Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28712 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

One of the loaders is the radioman as well.  Which is good because loader skills are mostly useless.

I don't intend to buy any gold

Then reset the skills for credits.  You lose 10% of accrued exp, which can be a lot when you get to 2nd and 3rd skills.  Or you can spend the price of a bottle of pop on a few hundred gold to reset them during a special when it's half price.

I don't see much point in BiA at low tiers, I would go mentor on the commander because you have a big crew which will get a good benefit from it, then reset to 6th sense and put mentor on again as 2nd skill.  Then a mix of whatever skills you fancy on the rest.

Eagle eye, Deadeye, Designated target, Controlled impact, Signal boosting, Relaying, Call for vengeance, Intuition, Adrenaline rush - are all pretty useless, Controlled impact if you have an E50 maybe but IMO you'd be better off being able to manoeuvre better to increase your chances of getting an impact in the first place.

Edited by Homer_J, 15 April 2018 - 05:39 PM.

Tramp_In_Armour #7 Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5752 battles

The grant's 320hp seems too squishy to worry about repairs, etc – It's either alive and fine or outright dead in my experience, although maybe there's some core vulnerabilities I'm not accounting for (ammo rack going up, for example?).

There's a trick you can use to reset a skill to a perk for zero credits or gold. Once you reach 100% in said skill, continue to accrue XP in next, random, skill. When next skill reaches, say, 30%, do a reset of skills for free, and it will offer you chance of resetting first skill to 100%, with maybe only 1% for the second. If first skill won't reset to 100%, simply play a few more games for more XP.

For your current crew/tank choice, then, and your chosen style of play, go for clutch braking, snap shot and rest camo for camping and sniping (resetting for Sixth Sense later). Also, if you haven't yet done it, rent camo paint for credits. Will be worth it, and pays for itself. Repairs will be handy for a turretless tank, but only if you're de-tracked by arty (anyone else will get second shot in before you can fix it, even at full skill). It's a compromise what you choose first, but I guess you know what you want from your tank.

Ace42X #8 Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5903 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 15 April 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

One of the loaders is the radioman as well.  Which is good because loader skills are mostly useless.

I don't intend to buy any gold

Then reset the skills for credits.  You lose 10% of accrued exp, which can be a lot when you get to 2nd and 3rd skills.  Or you can spend the price of a bottle of pop on a few hundred gold to reset them during a special when it's half price.

Good to know it's one of the loaders – after re-reading the wiki as per azakow's uniquely unhelpful suggestion, I was left with the impression it was the Co.  The fact that it stacks with Recon would strike me as useful, combined with binocs.

Block Quote

Well, on the plus side I'd get to experience a full-camo Grant and thus evaluate the second build I mentioned in my initial post while grinding.

On the negative, that's 10% longer or ~£3.63 to get the perks solely for the benefit the Camo (or other skill/s) offers for the duration.
Is *partial* Camo for the grind likely to be worth that extra investment in total time?

Thanks for input on perks, good to know.  Sixth-sense vs recon on a Grant?  It's big, so will get spotted all the bloody time; but it's campy and squishy so useful to know if you've been rumbled?
Vs it's big, so it has a good view of the battlefield; it has binocs slotted when camping, and it can have situational awareness on a redundant loader and thus can be a big of a campy-spotter with good signal?

Edited by Ace42X, 15 April 2018 - 06:04 PM.

Homer_J #9 Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28712 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Be careful about relying on 6th sense.  While it is a bit of a must have it does take 3 seconds to activate, during which time you will probably be dead.

The way to use it is to test the water.  Peek out, return to cover, wait and see if it lights up.  If it doesn't then you have a good indication that you won't get spotted there.

Tramp_In_Armour #10 Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5752 battles

View PostAce42X, on 15 April 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

Good to know it's one of the loaders – after re-reading the wiki as per azakow's uniquely unhelpful suggestion, I was left with the impression it was the Co.  The fact that it stacks with Recon would strike me as useful, combined with binocs.

Well, on the plus side I'd get to experience a full-camo Grant and thus evaluate the second build I mentioned in my initial post while grinding.

On the negative, that's 10% longer or ~£3.63 to get the perks solely for the benefit the Camo (or other skill/s) offers for the duration.
Is *partial* Camo for the grind likely to be worth that extra investment in total time?

Thanks for input on perks, good to know.  Sixth-sense vs recon on a Grant?  It's big, so will get spotted all the bloody time; but it's campy and squishy so useful to know if you've been rumbled?
Vs it's big, so it has a good view of the battlefield; it has binocs slotted when camping, and it can have situational awareness on a redundant loader and thus can be a big of a campy-spotter with good signal?

Sixth Sense. Right now, you'll have no idea if you've been spotted, and some salivating Derp gunner will wait for eons to get the sights to shrink before sending you the good news. A tank that remains stationary after being spotted is a Derper's dream. And other gunners too, but at least they are less likely to one-shot you (though arty could).

azakow #11 Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 75901 battles

View PostAce42X, on 15 April 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Second option, since you seem to like this alot.

CO: Sixth Sence

rest: camo

Next thing to learn is what "doulble bushing" means and how to apply this in matches.

MeetriX #12 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

Major

• Player
  • 20500 battles

View PostTramp_In_Armour, on 15 April 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

There's a trick you can use to reset a skill to a perk for zero credits or gold. Once you reach 100% in said skill, continue to accrue XP in next, random, skill. When next skill reaches, say, 30%, do a reset of skills for free, and it will offer you chance of resetting first skill to 100%, with maybe only 1% for the second. If first skill won't reset to 100%, simply play a few more games for more XP.

For your current crew/tank choice, then, and your chosen style of play, go for clutch braking, snap shot and rest camo for camping and sniping (resetting for Sixth Sense later). Also, if you haven't yet done it, rent camo paint for credits. Will be worth it, and pays for itself. Repairs will be handy for a turretless tank, but only if you're de-tracked by arty (anyone else will get second shot in before you can fix it, even at full skill). It's a compromise what you choose first, but I guess you know what you want from your tank.

How about no?

Grinding credits is faster than crinding crew xp, especially when you have better crew.

Losing 20% of XP is... I won't say stupid, but a bad option.

30% is not even enough to reset 1st skill to a 100% using 90% credit option.

Tramp_In_Armour #13 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5752 battles

View PostMeetriX, on 16 April 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

How about no?

Grinding credits is faster than crinding crew xp, especially when you have better crew.

Losing 20% of XP is... I won't say stupid, but a bad option.

Yes, but it's at least possible to do, and it answers the OP's question.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but then, the advice isn't for me.

Homer_J #14 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28712 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMeetriX, on 16 April 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

View PostTramp_In_Armour, on 16 April 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yes, but it's at least possible to do, and it answers the OP's question.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but then, the advice isn't for me.

You need to get to 42% 2nd skill to reset for credits and keep 100% first skill due to the non linear way that crew training works.  That's what he is getting at.

View PostTramp_In_Armour, on 15 April 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

There's a trick you can use to reset a skill to a perk for zero credits or gold. Once you reach 100% in said skill, continue to accrue XP in next, random, skill. When next skill reaches, say, 30%, do a reset of skills for free, and it will offer you chance of resetting first skill to 100%, with maybe only 1% for the second.

30% will leave you about 12.5k exp short.

Tramp_In_Armour #15 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5752 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 16 April 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

You need to get to 42% 2nd skill to reset for credits and keep 100% first skill due to the non linear way that crew training works.  That's what he is getting at.

30% will leave you about 12.5k exp short.

Well, I didn't do the maths, and it's not something I'd do myself as I think the expenditure of gold is more than worth it, but the OP insisted on non-gold use, and I'd seen the trick used on a video. Personally, I wouldn't recruit and train a fresh crew for each tank in a line either, but again, that's just me. Seems to be a long winded and rigid way of going about things, but each to their own.

MeetriX #16 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20500 battles

View PostTramp_In_Armour, on 16 April 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Well, I didn't do the maths, and it's not something I'd do myself as I think the expenditure of gold is more than worth it, but the OP insisted on non-gold use, and I'd seen the trick used on a video. Personally, I wouldn't recruit and train a fresh crew for each tank in a line either, but again, that's just me. Seems to be a long winded and rigid way of going about things, but each to their own.

Free option is never worth it, but using unused XP to keep primary skill at 100% or close to it when training to a new tank is viable option.

Homer_J #17 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28712 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTramp_In_Armour, on 16 April 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Well, I didn't do the maths, and it's not something I'd do myself as I think the expenditure of gold is more than worth it, 

I didn't do the maths, I let http://www.planetwot.com/Crewxp/ do it for me.;)

And it's not something I would do myself.  It's throwing away tens of thousands of exp for the sake of a few pennies.:coin:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users