Is it just me or is this marathon a total drag and boring

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Marathon Missions Format (91 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

What do you guys think of this marathons missions format?

1. I like it, it's fun and keeps me playing. Best marathon so far (27 votes [29.67%])

Percentage of vote: 29.67%

2. I don't like it, it's grindy, dull and I couldn't be arsed playing (64 votes [70.33%])

Percentage of vote: 70.33%

Vote Hide poll

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22112 battles

What you guys think? Maybe it's just me but I think the WG devs format for this marathon an absolute borefest and worst of all, there's no urgency to it or real draw to even bother participating. The marathon is a case of grind X amount of xp to reach the next level but that's really grindy, boring and a total drag, sort of like grinding out lines of tanks that you don't even like. There are no deadlines other than the end of marathon itself so no real urgency or draw to even care much really. Again, maybe this is just how I feel. The X5 xp was nice but that's just a weekend bonus thing and nothing to do with the marathon(I think, and it ends now).

The Pilot marathon, ok that was full of flaws granted, by no means ideal but there was at least some urgency and compelling bait that would draw a player into playing, 24hr deadlines to achieve each mission. This was actually pretty good and had lots of personal reserves to pick up along the way too. There were some missions that 100% turned that day into yoloing clusterfok of angry players and was an awful experience but there were some really good missions too like "Do X amount of damage" and "Kill X amount of tanks" that boiled down to personal ability and did not get punished just because the team didn't win, it was up to you playing well to complete rather than teammates too. 

Slyspy #2 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I feel the same about the London marathon and I don't even take part in that either. 

flashbarts #3 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 42313 battles

i like the set up of it 

That fact that its not all or nothing and that you get discounts and stuff and that there are two paths to complete each stage

On the flip side, yeah its a bit grindy :-)

Aiming for about stage 5 or 6

Doing it mainly in LT1000 so it combines top of the tree as well :-0

Brownape #4 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7680 battles
not voted as neither really fits. Just playing tier 6/7 to avoid the "lesser forms of humans" that quite happily are suiciding in their Superheavy tier 10s just to block 4k.

Jumping_TurtIe #5 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6237 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I kinda like it also. Gives you two options for the missions. You get rewards along the way and I do believe that tier 8 premiums should not be that easily obtainable. And the discount you get for completing the missions is nice also.

But for me it was too much work so I bailed out with 30% discount and bought the tank. But I am ok with that.

Homer_J #6 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Same as every other marathon.  It's not for me, I have a life.

I got the Pilot because I completed enough to bring the price down to that of a regular tier 8 premium without trying.

Browarszky #7 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16096 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

Well.. on the one hand I try to play about the same way I would play otherwise, on the other hand.. there is the added pressure of trying to get into top 10 every battle and having to work against a deadline.

On the plus side, I think it maybe less stressful and more flexible to do it in 'stages' like this marathon is based on as opposed to daily tokens like in the every previous marathon.

So.. I guess I prefer it this way. :great:

Keyanu #8 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9627 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It's no different than playing normally. Just pretend it's not there and you'll do it.

PervyPastryPuffer #9 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30995 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Getting high caliber in constant full-tier-10 matches is impossible, I don't have the right tanks for it either... I thought the Deathstar or E3 would be perfect for it, but oh boy... I can't live long enough to do any damage, gold spamming and complete ROFLstomping 8/10 matches...

Tip for everyone: stay out of tier 10... for the love of God STAY OUT OF IT, you won't get anywhere further with your missions and on top of that you'll just lose credits. Stick to tier 6 or 7, I recommend tanks like the T-34-85M, Sherman Jumbo w/ derp, or the Leo w/ 105mm.

Hedgehog1963 #10 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51274 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

Should have a poll option "bought it anyway."

Negativvv #11 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8938 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
Just play naturally and see where you end up...

Enforcer1975 #12 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 16 April 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Same as every other marathon.  It's not for me, I have a life.

I got the Pilot because I completed enough to bring the price down to that of a regular tier 8 premium without trying.

...which you can more or less do with the Prosciutto. I'll probably get it depending on the discount i get. 

Negativvv #13 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8938 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

Anything at 70% or above becomes so cheap it almost not worth losing sleep over no?

I'm hard core grinding 2 lines anyway so I'm not playing for this tank purposely.

Jigabachi #14 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Those stages are a nice change, but the top ones (and thus the main reward) are reserved for people who don't have much of a life. It's all a bit questionable, but ok with me as long as the stuff they get isn't OP or similarly gamebreaking.

Axelfoley666 #15 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22391 battles
  • [TWD] TWD
I just play as normal and when I complete a stage it's a nice bonus with the reward, just not going for the stages on purpose.

Homer_J #16 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEnforcer1975, on 16 April 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

...which you can more or less do with the Prosciutto. I'll probably get it depending on the discount i get. 

Another thing, it doesn't matter how cheap it is, it's another tier 8 premium.  Which isn't something I'm interested in.

Balc0ra #17 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66256 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 16 April 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

What you guys think? Maybe it's just me but I think the WG devs format for this marathon an absolute borefest and worst of all, there's no urgency to it or real draw to even bother participating. The marathon is a case of grind X amount of xp to reach the next level but that's really grindy, boring and a total drag, sort of like grinding out lines of tanks that you don't even like. There are no deadlines other than the end of marathon itself so no real urgency or draw to even care much really. Again, maybe this is just how I feel. The X5 xp was nice but that's just a weekend bonus thing and nothing to do with the marathon(I think, and it ends now).

You more or less  explained every marathon before you joined. IS-6, T26E4, WZ-111, T-44-100 etc. The low tiers had daily missions instead. Like the Tog, Type 62, KV-220, D-max or even the T2 light one.  That system works for low to mid tiers reward tanks. But you don't want it to be to easy either as it's a tier 8. As we all know what happens when you do that. T-34-85M broke tier 6 for weeks.

I don't remember if T26E4 had damage or if it was just XP. But the WZ-111 and T-44-100 had both. IS-6 was just 100K xp in each nation "7" using only tier 6 tanks. And Japan was added as a nation 2 weeks into it with mediums only. And was needed for the marathon. So 100K XP in the Chi-to only. 2x did count, but when you only have one tank on some nations to pick from. That don't help much.

Then you had the T26E4 one that had a 5x even the 2nd weekend. It counted and everyone did over night then. Thus why 5x and 3x did not count on the other events after it. IS-6 and the SP did not have tokens. WZ-111 was the first one to use that.

So no marathon have been done the same way so far. They all have differed slightly. But this event iis not nation locked like the others have been. Where you needed tanks in all nations to progress. So at least now you can play the tanks you enjoy vs forcing yourself to play nations you don't really like that much. So there is that.

speedphlux #18 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44135 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR

I think I've said it already somewhere else, but this IMHO, is the first "marathon" in which I don't need to alter my playstyle to complete it. I don't need to redline and farm damage or hold my shots for kill numbers. Or play specific type of tanks, which I may not be very fond of, in order to complete a specific objective that the game requires me to do. I can just play whatever I want, however I want it. Or in other words - play the way I play.

An added bonus is that the base XP calculations negate all differences between Premium and non-Premium users. So absolutely no P2W in this one, while there were previous ones where the x2 and Premium bonuses were added on, which made it a lot more easier on Premium users. In some cases, even Personal Reserves were added on top of the daily doubles and tripples, so yeah - now it's a lot more fair for everyone. All you need is a Tier 6 tank or higher and that's it pretty much. My personal preferences are - grind the IS, so I can unlock the IS-M and whatever else there is to grind. And if I get bored - I just hope to Tier 6,7 and 9 Light tanks and hope I don't end up on Himmelsdorf.

All in all - I wouldn't even call it a marathon. You either like the game and play it and you'll get a free Tier 8 Premium tank in the end, or you'll just fork out the cash at some point and just buy it, in case you want/need it. And if you're not interested in it - why do you even care if it's hard or not, or if it's grindy or not, or if it's just plain straight up stupid ?!

XOR42 #19 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16940 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

In the end, it's your choice.

Do it or don't do it.

TungstenHitman #20 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22112 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 16 April 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Another thing, it doesn't matter how cheap it is, it's another tier 8 premium.  Which isn't something I'm interested in.

Same, so maybe it's more a personal feeling rather than the marathon being dull and boring. I know with the current MM that 90% of battles will be as bottom tier against lots of awesome tier9 tanks and a few tier 10 tanks along with the factor there are many really powerful tier8 premiums knocking around so another tier8 medium really doesn't bode well for something I would consider having fun with. It ain't gonna stand up well vs the plethora of Obj Russian tanks and the superheavies and the autoloaders and getting one shot from Type 4 and 5 and TDs with a monstrous alhpa or pin cushion by some rally car light tank racing circles around it. 

You're after enlightening me there and so I think maybe it's the medium tank that leaves me uninterested and not exclusively the marathon format. Actually I can 100% say that if the marathon tank was a light tank I would be drooling with excitement and even a TD with some variable playstyle would hold my interest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users