"gameplay" - this " free tank event"

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

ricmetal #1 Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:15 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16489 battles

i thought wargaming was offering a free tank in exchange for xp?

why are we getting teams that melt within 3 minutes? or teams that melt the other team in 3 minutes? over and over ...

how are we do to any considerable xp like this?

why doesnt wargaming come clean and just say the event help get a discount towards the purchase of a new tank?

i'ts obvious they don't wanna give it for free.

just be honest wargaming!

you're goal is to get people to play in the guise of a free tank, but then the matchmaking is so unbalanced it's not even normal unbalanced standards for a wot game, so people will spend money on the tank cause they have a discount.

just be honest "get a discount for a tank " not "a free one"...

i'd love to see who can get the tank for free. the one person...

the gameplay is being just disgusting it's not even funny

it's disgusting

Edited by ricmetal, 19 April 2018 - 05:18 AM.

divsmo #2 Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32941 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF
20k through stage 7 here so hopefully on track to get for free but will see. Can't say i've noticed anything out of the ordinary gameplay wise either.

Kozzy #3 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:16 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

All the terms and conditions for the tank marathon are there for anyone to see, it looks fairly transparent to me.  Seems fairly obvious that this is a money making exercise and not a charitable event - why can't people understand that WG is a business and is here to make money and not to pander to whiney kids.  I won't be able to complete the event to 100% but may get to 70% - which means a reasonable cost for the tank bundle should I feel the need to go for it.

Gameplay wise: not much has changed for me : I'm on 66% WR for the last 7 days which is a little bit up but my days go up and down - like they always do.

No one is forcing anyone to do the marathon.

Edited by Kozzy, 19 April 2018 - 08:39 AM.

Frostilicus #4 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

Major

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22466 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
The sense of entitlement is strong in the OP :)

EltvilleTiger #5 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21271 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postricmetal, on 19 April 2018 - 04:15 AM, said:

you're goal is to get people to play

Dude, you finally figured it out but you lost it with all of the other words.

Yes, getting this tank for free does require a high level of dedication.  If you don't have it, you can play as hard as you can and maybe you'll get it for a discount.  I had a clan mate get his for 30% off and he combined it with another 30% off "of anything" coupon he received for his WoT anniversary.  If you want it for free, play to the terms and you'll get it.  Otherwise, stop whining. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29811 battles

View Postricmetal, on 19 April 2018 - 05:15 AM, said:

why are we getting teams that melt within 3 minutes? or teams that melt the other team in 3 minutes? over and over ...

They are offering a tank for free, you just have to meet the XP requirements. XP gains aren't time based so if you can murder the enemy team inside 3 mins you'll get exactly the same amount of XP as if you sit and snipe at each other for 10 mins. 

Seems to me your complaint is actually that your XP is bad the solution to which is easy. Git gud!

Homer_J #7 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29066 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

They seem like the same teams as every other day.  I don't know what game OP has been playing but I suspect it's not WoT.

I'm guessing he is one of those who comes back for an event to get a free tank then when he has that free tank he stops playing.  In which case why bother.

malachi6 #8 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 50223 battles
I took one look at the requirements.  know my ability and how much time I am prepared to commit.  5 stages for me. no complaints, lots of free stuff pretty much for playing as normal.

magkiln #9 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24348 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

why doesnt wargaming come clean and just say the event help get a discount towards the purchase of a new tank?

just be honest wargaming!

you're goal is to get people to play in the guise of a free tank, but then the matchmaking is so unbalanced it's not even normal unbalanced standards for a wot game, so people will spend money on the tank cause they have a discount.

it's disgusting

Eh, well, DUH!

They never said they wanted us to get it for free, only that it would be possible. Yes, they want to make money and they have played a nice little trick. They take a tank they were going to introduce anyway (so, no extra effort), slapped a bunch of stuff on it as a huge bundle (which most people wouldn't buy, because getting the tank by itself would be cheaper), and then got us all to play like mad to shave part of the inflated price off. All of this, for a tank that doesn't seem to be all that good. (And, no, I'm not complaining about that. At least we're spared the litany of complaints about OP premiums and the doomsday predictions about how WGs latest fart is going to ruin the game.)

So,

1. First they have an event that keeps the momentum going between versions 1.0 and 1.01
  2. They will probably make more money off the premium tank than normal, because many players who tried to get it for free will end up buying it anyway so as to not lose all that effort. Otherwise, I'm not sure how well this tank would do in terms of sales. It's a bit of a niche-tank.
  3. It sets the upcoming introduction of the Italian techtree up with a spectacular start.

Smart move, WG. Especially after the PR disasters of last year.

I really don't see the problem. If your local store holds a sale, do you really believe that they actually want you to save money? Or do you think that maybe they just want to drag in more customers? WG is no different. And just like with that store, it's up to you whether you spend your money.

Edited by magkiln, 19 April 2018 - 08:57 AM.

Hendrik3 #10 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2766 battles
  • [T-ANK] T-ANK

That is an oversimplified statement... you get it for free, yes - but only after you put in a mammoth effort only few will be able to match.

Because we've always gotten these teams and anniversary actions like these brings out the worst players our of the woodwork - they're not good for balancing MM.

They do want to give it for free, if you can successfully commit to their challenge. The discount is a bonus for those who tried and failed, but this doesn't mean you have to buy it.

The real problem here is the mismatch you make between the hefty requirements and your ability to actually meet them. This challenge is not for everybody and WG never claimed that it was.
Yes, they dangle a juicy carrot in front of you - but getting it wasn't going to be easy and they never said it would be. It sucks, but your rant is unjustified.

Chill man, just see how far you can get and then decide whether you want to use the discount or not. Plenty of nice tanks to play.

Edited by Hendrik3, 19 April 2018 - 09:02 AM.

uglycousin #11 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45783 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View Postdivsmo, on 19 April 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

20k through stage 7 here so hopefully on track to get for free but will see. Can't say i've noticed anything out of the ordinary gameplay wise either.

Same here with around 20k left of stage 7. We might get it "for free" if all goes well.

I did noticed a change in gameplay at tier 10. A lot of people do mistakes on purpose trying to block 4k. 

Synopsis0 #12 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 38527 battles
Play better ,use brain , stop whining....

uglycousin #13 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45783 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View Postricmetal, on 19 April 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

it's disgusting

1. qpranger likes this

2. You motivated me to go for the whole 10 stages. I was aiming at 80% discount, but now I will try to 100%. Just to prove it can be done my players who are not unicums and also have a life outside WoT. :)

Slyspy #14 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postuglycousin, on 19 April 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

a life outside WoT. :)

Replay or it didn't happen.

uglycousin #15 Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45783 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostSlyspy, on 19 April 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Replay or it didn't happen.

CmdRatScabies #16 Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37626 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Quite cleverly designed really - those few that would have bought the full fat bundle for £50 can buy it on day 1, those that would have bought the mid price bundle can go to stage 5 & get the £25 bundle and those that would have bought the bare bones tank + garage slot can go to the 80%/90% off stage.  Ultimately they'll end up with a revenue profile that looks similar to the way they normally release a new tank but with a boost in player numbers and all the promotion / excitement that goes with the marathon.

WG may not know how to balance a tank or design a map but their making money department is top notch.

IncandescentGerbil #17 Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles
Getting all tier x every time you play tier x is kinda boring. Plus there is a greater chance than ever of meeting 268v4s, Type5s and Mauses. Having an armour blocking requirement is plain thick on WG's part. They have (allegedly) set out on the road to rebalancing, and yet here they go again, encouraging more gold usage. It's all edited edited, isn't it.

trrprrprr #18 Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 670 battles
  • [VIIWO] VIIWO

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 19 April 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Getting all tier x every time you play tier x is kinda boring. Plus there is a greater chance than ever of meeting 268v4s, Type5s and Mauses. Having an armour blocking requirement is plain thick on WG's part. They have (allegedly) set out on the road to rebalancing, and yet here they go again, encouraging more gold usage. It's all edited edited, isn't it.

That moment when you get used to snapshot tier 8s in your tier X and now you are forced to learn to aim vs tier Xs.....sad story.

DracheimFlug #19 Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9076 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 19 April 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

They seem like the same teams as every other day.  I don't know what game OP has been playing but I suspect it's not WoT.

I'm guessing he is one of those who comes back for an event to get a free tank then when he has that free tank he stops playing.  In which case why bother.

Might just be more noticeable because of the event and therefore just observation bias but they do actually seem to me a lot worse since the event started. I do have possible evidence though... my stats have been improving since the event started, and since it is unlikely that I have suddenly gotten that much better, it is possible that everyone else has gotten worse and I have been moving up by default :P

_DeathWing_ #20 Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19167 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

ricmetal, on 19 April 2018 - 04:15 AM, said:

You won't get it, that's for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users