• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

adopt_1_noob #1 Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 83085 battles
  • [IN-VI] IN-VI

Hello everyone
Who in the game this already find in the situation to not be able to dialogue with an ally to tell him what to do and how to do?
the language (compulsory) in WOT is English but many of the players do not know how to speak it
when does a program to write in his native language and automatically translate it into the recipient's language? I explain myself a Russian player written in Russian in the game chat and the program translates it to the language of the Russian country to FR, ITA, ESP, PORT ...

adopt

Homer_J #2 Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28692 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
All they really need to do is expand the built in messages a bit.  Although since nobody listens to those which are translated into their chosen language, I don't see what some easily missed chat will do to help.

Hedgehog1963 #3 Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51274 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

*edited*  

Edited by Jahpero, 20 April 2018 - 09:35 AM.
This post has been edited due to flaming.

Jigabachi #4 Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
That hopefully never happens. More commands would be nice, though.

Kozzy #5 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2
Why do people think this is a bad idea?  Anything that can INCREASE the level of communication in WoT is a good thing, Shirley?  I do agree that we need WAY more commands and more flexible use of the commands as well.

ThinGun #6 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34974 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
A multi lingual version of "Die in a fire, you donkey' would be handy.

Hendrik3 #7 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2766 battles
  • [T-ANK] T-ANK

View PostKozzy, on 20 April 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Why do people think this is a bad idea?  Anything that can INCREASE the level of communication in WoT is a good thing, Shirley?  I do agree that we need WAY more commands and more flexible use of the commands as well.

More communication can be better, but it's going to be hard to make it practical to use the right command in the right situation if you have too many. Some kind of command wheel will do, but it'll need sub-categories. Talking about communication, pinging the map should be possible only once in a few seconds. Getting sick of the dead map clickers.

Also:

Edited by Hendrik3, 20 April 2018 - 11:22 AM.

Geno1isme #8 Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42587 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostKozzy, on 20 April 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

Why do people think this is a bad idea?

Because automatic translations are still pretty crappy. It gets worse in specialized environments like MMOs that have their own (sometimes localized) special terms, acronyms and slang. I'm playing some mobile game that translates all user messages, and the results are very often not reflecting the original content at all (when I check the english original, for other languages I'm usually just scratching my head).

As chat messages are usually very short they lack the context for translations algorithms to understand the content. For example if I put "track him" into google translate, the german translation "verfolgen Sie ihn" (follow him) is literally correct, but says something completely different than what is usually meant in WoT. The translation for "go hulldown" is more or less just gibberish, as "hulldown" isn't a word used in normal english. And that's just two examples for common chat messages.

The idea isn't bad in general, just the tech still has a long way to go before it's really usable in this context.

Kozzy #9 Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostGeno1isme, on 20 April 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

Because automatic translations are still pretty crappy. It gets worse in specialized environments like MMOs that have their own (sometimes localized) special terms, acronyms and slang. I'm playing some mobile game that translates all user messages, and the results are very often not reflecting the original content at all (when I check the english original, for other languages I'm usually just scratching my head).

As chat messages are usually very short they lack the context for translations algorithms to understand the content. For example if I put "track him" into google translate, the german translation "verfolgen Sie ihn" (follow him) is literally correct, but says something completely different than what is usually meant in WoT. The translation for "go hulldown" is more or less just gibberish, as "hulldown" isn't a word used in normal english. And that's just two examples for common chat messages.

The idea isn't bad in general, just the tech still has a long way to go before it's really usable in this context.

Ah fair enough.  Pretty good answer.  I'm probably a little too optimistic about the quality of the comms too, TBH.

Kirk_Helmet #10 Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 37427 battles
  • [PAPKO] PAPKO
I am pretty much able to know whenever they offend me and the woman who brought me to this world in most of european languages when they're using most common curses so personally I don't need these messages to be translated ;)

adopt_1_noob #11 Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 83085 battles
  • [IN-VI] IN-VI

View PostGeno1isme, on 20 April 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

do you think google translation is better?

MeetriX #12 Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20500 battles

View PostGeno1isme, on 20 April 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

It will be even worse when trying to translate non germanic language to english.

Geno1isme #13 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42587 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Postadopt_1_noob, on 20 April 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

do you think google translation is better?

Better than what?

As said, chat messages are a bad subject for automatic translation in general due to lack of context, incomplete sentences and slang. Doesn't really matter if you use google or some other provider.

Jigabachi #14 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKozzy, on 20 April 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Why do people think this is a bad idea?  

Keep in mind that a lot of players are as well educated as a wet brick when it comes to grammar and basic human communication rules. Just take a look at the average chat messages.

Translation programs are quite good these days, but as long as random gibberish doesn't turn into an accepted human language, a lot of those translations won't work at all. Especially since we have quite a lot of special vocabulary and rather short sentences...

TL;DR: Want to talk to other people across the world? Learn English.

Edited by Jigabachi, 20 April 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Kozzy #15 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostJigabachi, on 20 April 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

Keep in mind that a lot of players are as well educated as a wet brick when it comes to grammar and basic human communication rules. Just take a look at the average chat messages.

Translation programs are quite good these days, but as long as random gibberish doesn't turn into an accepted human language, a lot of those translations won't work at all. Especially since we have quite a lot of special vocabulary and rather short sentences...

TL;DR: Want to talk to other people across the world? Learn English.

Yeah i guess you're probably right, and as mentioned above perhaps I was being naive and about the quality of the communications.  Isn't it about time all EU countries were mandated to teach Esperanto as a 2nd/3rd language or something?

Steffin #16 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24748 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF

Most translation providers are really bad.  Even google is very bad at translating from non-english to non-english, as it then translates via english.  So this is just technically not possible.  thats why the game has this set of simple message like "Follow me" and "defend the base".  These can be translated properly.  This is as good as it gets.

Another thing.  I dont know about other countries, but a lot of dutch players play with an English client and use the english terms for game elements, even with dutch conjugations.  You could never translate them properly to another language. And for me the dutch words sound very silly.

Balc0ra #17 Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66256 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I suspect more then you think speak English. They just choose to ignore you and do their own thing. Or they have chat off. Auto translate would help in a minor set of situations to be worth the effort of adding it.

Tho the command wheel still works in their native tongue, or if they have chat off. And most still ignore that.

Spurtung #18 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63618 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postadopt_1_noob, on 20 April 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Hello everyone
Who in the game this already find in the situation to not be able to dialogue with an ally to tell him what to do and how to do?
the language (compulsory) in WOT is English but many of the players do not know how to speak it
when does a program to write in his native language and automatically translate it into the recipient's language? I explain myself a Russian player written in Russian in the game chat and the program translates it to the language of the Russian country to FR, ITA, ESP, PORT ...

adopt

"Compulsory". I don't think you know what that means, and if you do, *edited*   to use it in this context.

Edited by Jahpero, 21 April 2018 - 07:28 AM.
Edited by the moderation due to inappropriate remark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users