XP calculation: Who can explain this result?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Ganymed_II #1 Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Private

• Player
  • 72646 battles

Today I have had a battle on Cliff in my T92 light. Also there has been a M41 90 GF in my team. As you know both are T8 lights.

I did 450 (sigh) own damage and 2459 spotting. Gives 2909 combined.

The M41 did 776 own damage and 234 spotting. Gives 1010 combined.

And the XP result has been: I got 564 and the M41 560 experience! So despite I did almost 3 times the combined damage I received measly 4 (!) XP more than the M41! See also screenshots attached.

Who can explain that? I first considered to ask WG support but as I do not expect to get a meaningful answer I'm asking the forum.

Note: The M41 did also 220 Team damage. But that probably doesn't affect the result. Or is it even positively counted :) ?

Attached Files

• Attached File   M41_result.jpg   1.31MB
  • Attached File   T92_result.jpg   1.3MB

Edited by Ganymed_II, 04 May 2018 - 10:08 AM.

Emeraldweed #2 Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6171 battles
  • [-322-] -322-
It doesnt matter how much dmg you did, it matters to whom you did it, if he shot t10s and you shot t8s only he gets more xp. 

Eaglax #3 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:11 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18973 battles

there are more things that influence the XP, than just damage and spotting.

also you can't just add up the two sorts of damage, and say you have 3x combined damage....that doesn't make any sense.

Assistance damage only counts half for XP gain, so you have ~1680 combined and the M41 ~890 combined, so you have less than x2.

Steffin #4 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23087 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF

xp for damage done and damage assisted depends on the tier of the enemy.  assist damage only counts half as much and also depends on the tier of your ally doing the damage. You get more xp if you spot the enemy yourself when doing damage.  The kill gives extra xp.  And also note that the guys doing no damage also have a large amount of xp.  The plain number of damage done and assisted is not enough to give a decent estimate of the xp gained.

I have the feeling that there is also some kind of bonus for surviving longer or being more close to the battle.  But that is probably just me.

StinkyStonky #5 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25130 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

He destroyed an enemy you didn't.

There's also XP for destroying/killing modules/crew. (can't see this from the results screens - you can never see what he did).

You get more XP if the damage you do is under 200m (can't see this from results screens).

He spotted 3 you only spotted 2.

If the spotting you were doing was also being done by others, then the XP is shared among all the spotters.  He might have been the only spotter and you might have been just one of many (can't see this from results screens).

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Experience_and_Credits

TungstenHitman #6 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18659 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV
You get more xp for killing tanks than damage? So if I kill a tank on 1% hp it's worth more than one full shots worth of alpha damage on another tank?

StinkyStonky #7 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25130 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

View PostSteffin, on 20 April 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

I have the feeling that there is also some kind of bonus for surviving longer or being more close to the battle.  But that is probably just me.

There IS a bonus for surviving, but not for surviving longer.

There IS a bonus for doing damage if you are <200m.

Also, if you are close then you will be spotting and so you'll get a share of the XP from arty and other long rangers.

Slyspy #8 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostGanymed_II, on 20 April 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

Today I have had a battle on Cliff in my T92 light. Also there has been a M41 90 GF in my team. As you know both are T8 lights.

And the XP result has been: I got 564 and the M41 460 experience! So despite I did almost 3 times the combined damage I received measly 4 (!) XP more than the M41! See also screenshots attached.

Who can explain that? I first considered to ask WG support but as I do not expect to get a meaningful answer I'm asking the forum.

Note: The M41 did also 220 Team damage. But that probably doesn't affect the result. Or is it even positively counted :) ?

Damage done through your own spotting has twice the value of that done through someone else spotting because in the latter case half the xp goes to all the units doing the spotting. 

Balc0ra #9 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62851 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostTungstenHitman, on 20 April 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

You get more xp for killing tanks than damage? So if I kill a tank on 1% hp it's worth more than one full shots worth of alpha damage on another tank?

Kills gives a small bonus based on the tier of the target.

There are way to many variables to tell you why. Even less so with a screen alone. As it don't tell us how you both did that damage, or who you spotted and got assist on.

You get XP for first spots, you had one more, so it's not gonna make a world of difference. Tho you get 2x more XP for spotting arty first. He got a kill. That's a small xp bonus you did not get that is affected by the tier of the target he took out. DId he do most of his damage close up or at range vs you? As there is a 200m bonus to. How many modules did you damage vs him? Did you do your damage at long range vs an equal tier target? Or vs a HT? As if he did damage to a higher tier HT at close range, and did critical damage to it and took it out... that's 4 small bonuses you won't get that might make all the difference. As lights get more XP when doing critical damage to HT's vs module damage to other targets to name one.

And spotting is no farming machine either. As you still lose 50% of the XP pr damage point. And if any of that assist was divided. As in others did spot the same target to. Then the XP pr damage point is divided among the amount of ppl spotting the target. So it's not easy to say how much XP you got from those 2.4K alone. My best spotting game in the 13 90 was 13 000 assist. Still not even on the top 5 on XP.

Edited by Balc0ra, 20 April 2018 - 11:45 AM.

Geno1isme #10 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40064 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostStinkyStonky, on 20 April 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

If the spotting you were doing was also being done by others, then the XP is shared among all the spotters.

Not correct regarding battle results. If multiple tanks spot the same target the assist damage is split, not the XP for the resulting assist damage.

But as has already been noted, most likely the assist damage of the T92 was from top-tier tanks shooting low-tier targets, and the assist from the M41 was from low-tier tanks shooting top-tier targets. In that case the XP value of the assist damage per point differs greatly, compensating for the raw damage numbers. The tier of the spotter is irrelevant for assist damage.

Edited by Geno1isme, 20 April 2018 - 11:52 AM.

TungstenHitman #11 Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18659 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 April 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

xp explained

Umm, could you explain the part about where you said the thing about this and that? For some reason I keep drifting off about half way through it... damn it!

StinkyStonky #12 Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25130 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

View PostGeno1isme, on 20 April 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Not correct regarding battle results. If multiple tanks spot the same target the assist damage is split, not the XP for the resulting assist damage.

Interesting, because that's not what it says on the WG Wiki page http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Experience_and_Credits

Under the "XP Awarded?" column, for the row about "Damage done to targets you are spotting, by team members who are not spotting them themselves"

Block Quote - XP Awarded

50% of what the team member doing the damage would earn if he spotted the target himself, divided by the number of team members spotting the target.

Geno1isme #13 Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40064 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostStinkyStonky, on 20 April 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

Interesting, because that's not what it says on the WG Wiki page http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Experience_and_Credits

The result is the same, it's just about how the numbers are displayed (maybe I formulated that badly):

Say a shot of 400 damage is worth 20xp (completely fictional number). So the assist aspect of that is 50% = 10xp, or 0.025xp per point of damage. Now if two tanks are spotting the target that is split and each gets 5xp. That's all clear. It's just about how assist damage is credited in the battle results for them: the 400 damage is split between them so they both get 200 assist damage. And on that they get the full 0.025xp, which is the same 5xp as calculated above. But it's important to understand that aspect when comparing assist damage numbers in battle result screens that the split is already included there.

(of course that's all theorycrafting as we have no insight how XP are actually calculated)

Steffin #14 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23087 battles
  • [WOOF] WOOF

View PostStinkyStonky, on 20 April 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

Under the "XP Awarded?" column, for the row about "Damage done to targets you are spotting, by team members who are not spotting them themselves"

The assist damage is split over the spotters, and for your part of the assist damage you get the 50% of the xp the damage dealer would earn if he spotted the target himself.

The in battle notification of assisted damage proves this point.  You can see the damage dealt for each shot and the assisted damage you get.  The after battle results match the in battle assist damage.

The link you provided says the xp is 50% of the total damage divided by the number of spotters.  This gives the same amount of xp. So it does give the correct answer about how much xp you get. However, it doesn't say how much assisted damage you get credited.

Homer_J #15 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Who can explain that?

Nobody here can explain it because the exp calculation has never been made public.  Maybe somebody at WG can but they don't want to.

All you can say is he did more of whatever it is that gives exp.

Stop worrying about it, or if you can't do that then just quit.

AliceUnchained #16 Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322

And the XP result has been: I got 564 and the M41 460 experience! So despite I did almost 3 times the combined damage I received measly 4 (!) XP more than the M41! See also screenshots attached.

Why create a new thread? Why not read through one of dozens of threads existing already? Or even the one created recently and still visible on the first page? Have you ever heard of a 'Search function'? 

For starters, assisted damage only yields 50% of XP. So you should not combine damage + assisted, but damage + assisted/2. A kill yields anywhere between 20 and 50 XP by my estimations, and dealing damage to higher Tiers will give a bonus. Then there's critical damage, damage under 200 meters, and damage to targets you're not spotting yourself (unlikely here). All of which has been explained numerous times before, and can also be found on the wiki page: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Experience_and_Credits. It's not up-to-date or fully accurate, but would suffice to explain this situation when read. And thus would make this thread another prime example of pointless, and unnecessary. Thirteen a dozen.

View PostStinkyStonky, on 20 April 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

As pointed out, the split happens on damage for which you're then credited the XP. The End Game result's the same regardless of whether you split the assisted damage by the numbers of spotters, which then get credited the full 50% XP for their share of the assisted damage; or split the 50% of credited XP by the number of spotters while accrediting each will the full assisted damage. It just makes far more sense to split the assisted damage, as is shown on the End Game, as otherwise that 400 assisted damage would be seen on 2 or more players suggesting 800 or more damage was assisted when in fact it was 400.

So going back to that 400 assisted damage and 2 spotters example: You can see it as either 200 assisted damage for each spotter at 50% XP, or 400 assisted damage at 25% each. Either way it's equal to 100 inflicted damage. Excluding any other modifiers of course. The game will report it at 200 assisted damage each. 

Edited by AliceUnchained, 20 April 2018 - 05:56 PM.

arthurwellsley #17 Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50512 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 20 April 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Yes. WG have not stated how much. Forum members have tried to calculate the exp for a kill. It does not appear to be exact and varies. The consensus seems to be in the 30-50 exp range for a kill.

A low health shot to kill an enemy might not be worth two full hp shots into an enemy.

However right at the end of a match, the difference between a full damage shot into enemy X, or a low damage killing shot into enemy Y might favour the killing shot, but it all depends on so many variables (range, gun calibre, tier of your tank, tiers of enemies X and Y) that it is impossible to calculate with any accuracy.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 20 April 2018 - 08:58 PM.

Laukaus #18 Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8004 battles

View PostGanymed_II, on 20 April 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Who can explain that?

You probably have done some minor crime against WarGaming. Maybe you have critized it in chat, or simply devs don't like your nickname or home country. 

Whatever, they punish you by cutting a bit of your points. 

But dont worry, your team won that game. Good.

When they punish me, I win one game out of ten.  

AliceUnchained #19 Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

General

• Player
  • 37820 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostLaukaus, on 20 April 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

You probably have done some minor crime against WarGaming. Maybe you have critized it in chat, or simply devs don't like your nickname or home country. 

Whatever, they punish you by cutting a bit of your points. 

But dont worry, your team won that game. Good.

When they punish me, I win one game out of ten.  

Ah, the misplaced arrogance thinking that Wargaming cares at all about you, or is even aware of your existence, to 'punish you specifically'. The utter delusion thinking it's anything else but your own bad play. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users