Free 2 play experiment changing opinions about WG, CONSTRUCTIVE LOL

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

F2PEXP #1 Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3683 battles

so being fed up with the recent patches  for quite a while now (jap heavies, arty, 468v4, 1.0 ERLENBERG) and how tier 10 is getting pay to do damage I decided I would start a second account and play the game purely free, no gold ammo, no premium account, absolutely no money ever to WG and I have to say it has made me re evaluate my opinion of WG as a company

It is perfectly possible to play this game for free, I am up to tier 7 tanks, I have 3 marked some tanks on the way and I have still paid 0 pence.  

The boosts WG give you are really quite impressive and generous.

When you complete the intro you get 500 gold, which I still have some left as I have been hording it and will only use to demount expensive equipment

add in the promotions, personal reserves, free missions bonuses, campaign bonuses, specials at weekends, free low tier premium tanks (all sold for garage slots !!) and now I have just finished the Italian tank marathon and have a tier 8 premium, all free of charge

with the 50% off equipment weekend I have in the depot plenty of spare optics, vstabs and rammers and 6 million of available credits if I need to sell anything

and my game stats?  well I currently have 4.5 million credits and a 60%wr, my wn8 is very down mind you but I am not a huge wn8 fan I prefer wr%

could I have done better with a premium account?? hell yes

mostly I have been running 75% crews so clearly that has made a huge impact, I especially miss view range and have had to use binos instead of optics which has made my gameplay far more passive

also there are quite a few games I could have carried had I used the 2 key, combine those 2 factors I believe 65% or higher would have been easily achievable

and I guess by now my crews would be on 2 skills or maybe 3 rather than 1, that I cannot be bothered to work out tho

obviously as an experienced player with 35k games on my main account I have many advantages which have boosted my game but I am genuinely impressed by how WG can let you play this game free of charge to a very good standard and by the amount of boosts they are giving you, this has really changed my opinion of WG as a company and I felt it important to put out here as a thank you to them.

however, it is not all good news and there are a few things which I imagine will really put off new players

Match maker, old topic I know but this 3/5/7 is much worse than the old MM in my opinion.   on my main account I rarely play below tier 8 and for me 3/5/7 irrelevant but on this account I am nearly 50% of games bottom tier (800 game count of games in tier 4 or higher vehicles has me at 121 games top tier including all same tier games and 5/10 tier games, 307 games -1 tier including 5/10 games and 372 games bottom tier -2 tiers,  if you consider -1 tier as bottom tier then 411 games bottom tier)  this is really hard, especially with 75% crews and stock tanks and when I was a new player complaining about old mm I did a similar check and found myself almost perfectly 33%/33%/33% so I stopped complaining !!  this is clearly a retrograde change

tank balance is another issue, there were no japanese heavies, no vk100ps etc when I started this game and general armour buffs (while I agree they were needed as the gold ammo made armour irrelevant ) has made many tanks very very hard to play and I have found myself in many games where it is end game and I can literally do nothing, the tier stretch especially has been really over done.  hopefully this is something WG are aware of and will keep working on

Tech Trees, now this is subjective and may be because I have done most of them already but I am sitting looking at the trees and thinking I don't want to go up most of the lines or I want to stop at a low tier, for example after t67 on American TD line where do you go, it gets worse and far less fun to play, hellcat and t25/2 are boring and I wonder how many new players lose their enthusiasm as they progress up and find the tanks and the game less fun as a result?  at the moment I am heading for e50 and e75, m48, 468v4, 430u, 100lt, t57, badger, super conq, tvp, strv 103b, kran and that's it the rest just don't interest me as being boring and/or uncompetitive, likewise I wont go beyond t29, t67, stug 3, as they are fun tanks and above that they are not. On the French tanks I cannot bear the thought of going through batchat 12t again !!  and although the top tier Chinese heavies are lovely tanks i am not sure I want to go through all the low tier copies.  That's a lot of tanks that I don't want, but may be because I know them all already and perhaps other players love them in a way I do not.

Gold ammo and premium tanks.. now this is tricky and I am aware WG are trying a few things re gold ammo on the test server but it can be really off putting when you get a premium tank firing full gold and still making credits, yet I know that is why we have premium tanks, to make credits.  I do wonder however, at low tiers especially, how many players give up because of players spamming full gold often in OP premium tanks and making the game totally unbalanced and uncompetitive and so losing the fun of playing the game.  personally I feel a simple limit to the amount of gold ammo you can load would be a simple adjustment and add to the skill level in the game, making it a scarce resource rather than a mummies credit card option.

New player protection, this is limited at best and once you get to tier 4 its dog eat dog and the messages are toxic !!  perhaps a modified MM might help, -1MM for stock tanks until you get say 60% of the vehicles research modules total XP researched (eg on kv1 all the modules require 24275 xp to unlock so you are max -1MM until you researched  14565xp).  This might help players find their feet with new tanks, especially in -2mm and in new classes of tanks

however, overall I am really impressed how WG allow players to play totally free and how generous they are in their give aways and overall it has really lifted my mood about the game and let me enjoy it again

Edited by F2PEXP, 21 April 2018 - 10:54 AM.

Dava_117 #2 Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20204 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostF2PEXP, on 21 April 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

so being fed up with the recent patches  for quite a while now (jap heavies, arty, 468v4, 1.0 ERLENBERG) and how tier 10 is getting pay to do damage I decided I would start a second account and play the game purely free, no gold ammo, no premium account, absolutely no money ever to WG and I have to say it has made me re evaluate my opinion of WG as a company

It is perfectly possible to play this game for free, I am up to tier 7 tanks, I have 3 marked some tanks on the way and I have still paid 0 pence.  

The boosts WG give you are really quite impressive and generous.

When you complete the intro you get 500 gold, which I still have some left as I have been hording it and will only use to demount expensive equipment

add in the promotions, personal reserves, free missions bonuses, campaign bonuses, specials at weekends, free low tier premium tanks (all sold for garage slots !!) and now I have just finished the Italian tank marathon and have a tier 8 premium, all free of charge

with the 50% off equipment weekend I have in the depot plenty of spare optics, vstabs and rammers and 6 million of available credits if I need to sell anything

and my game stats?  well I currently have 4.5 million credits and a 60%wr, my wn8 is very down mind you but I am not a huge wn8 fan I prefer wr%

could I have done better with a premium account?? hell yes

mostly I have been running 75% crews so clearly that has made a huge impact, I especially miss view range and have had to use binos instead of optics which has made my gameplay far more passive

also there are quite a few games I could have carried had I used the 2 key, combine those 2 factors I believe 65% or higher would have been easily achievable

and I guess by now my crews would be on 2 skills or maybe 3 rather than 1, that I cannot be bothered to work out tho

obviously as an experienced player with 35k games on my main account I have many advantages which have boosted my game but I am genuinely impressed by how WG can let you play this game free of charge to a very good standard and by the amount of boosts they are giving you, this has really changed my opinion of WG as a company and I felt it important to put out here as a thank you to them.

however, it is not all good news and there are a few things which I imagine will really put off new players

Match maker, old topic I know but this 3/5/7 is much worse than the old MM in my opinion.   on my main account I rarely play below tier 8 and for me 3/5/7 irrelevant but on this account I am nearly 50% of games bottom tier (800 game count of games in tier 4 or higher vehicles has me at 121 games top tier including all same tier games and 5/10 tier games, 307 games -1 tier including 5/10 games and 372 games bottom tier -2 tiers,  if you consider -1 tier as bottom tier then 411 games bottom tier)  this is really hard, especially with 75% crews and stock tanks and when I was a new player complaining about old mm I did a similar check and found myself almost perfectly 33%/33%/33% so I stopped complaining !!  this is clearly a retrograde change

tank balance is another issue, there were no japanese heavies, no vk100ps etc when I started this game and general armour buffs (while I agree they were needed as the gold ammo made armour irrelevant ) has made many tanks very very hard to play and I have found myself in many games where it is end game and I can literally do nothing, the tier stretch especially has been really over done.  hopefully this is something WG are aware of and will keep working on

Tech Trees, now this is subjective and may be because I have done most of them already but I am sitting looking at the trees and thinking I don't want to go up most of the lines or I want to stop at a low tier, for example after t67 on American TD line where do you go, it gets worse and far less fun to play, hellcat and t25/2 are boring and I wonder how many new players lose their enthusiasm as they progress up and find the tanks and the game less fun as a result?  at the moment I am heading for e50 and e75, m48, 468v4, 430u, 100lt, t57, badger, super conq, tvp, strv 103b, kran and that's it the rest just don't interest me as being boring and/or uncompetitive, likewise I wont go beyond t29, t67, stug 3, as they are fun tanks and above that they are not. On the French tanks I cannot bear the thought of going through batchat 12t again !!  and although the top tier Chinese heavies are lovely tanks i am not sure I want to go through all the low tier copies.  That's a lot of tanks that I don't want, but may be because I know them all already and perhaps other players love them in a way I do not.

Gold ammo and premium tanks.. now this is tricky and I am aware WG are trying a few things re gold ammo on the test server but it can be really off putting when you get a premium tank firing full gold and still making credits, yet I know that is why we have premium tanks, to make credits.  I do wonder however, at low tiers especially, how many players give up because of players spamming full gold often in OP premium tanks and making the game totally unbalanced and uncompetitive and so losing the fun of playing the game.  personally I feel a simple limit to the amount of gold ammo you can load would be a simple adjustment and add to the skill level in the game, making it a scarce resource rather than a mummies credit card option.

New player protection, this is limited at best and once you get to tier 4 its dog eat dog and the messages are toxic !!  perhaps a modified MM might help, -1MM for stock tanks until you get say 60% of the vehicles research modules total XP researched (eg on kv1 all the modules require 24275 xp to unlock so you are max -1MM until you researched  14565xp).  This might help players find their feet with new tanks, especially in -2mm and in new classes of tanks

however, overall I am really impressed how WG allow players to play totally free and how generous they are in their give aways and overall it has really lifted my mood about the game and let me enjoy it again

I play as F2P and more or less I agree with you. 

I would have used the gold to buy garage slot (but when I started there was nothing similar) because IMO are the most limitating parameter. 

Gold ammo is not a problem too, IMO.

I usually carry enought gold to kill an enemy toptier, but I rarely use it: at low tire and up to tier 8 there aren't too much tanks that require gold. 

Also I strongly disagree with the sentence "gold make armour irrelevant". I play plenty of armoured tanks and premium ammo has never been a problem.

About everything else, I agree. Can't really say WG made impossible to play at high or to run a F2P account. The only things that really miss are balance at high tier and a real tutorial. Nothing fancy, but some explaination about game mechanics would help player to not get beaten too much at the start.

As an example, WG could add an info tab to each ammo type like:

AP: Deal damage only after pen, reduce impact angle by 5°, richochet at 70°

or

HE: Deal full damage if pen, damage is halved and further reduced by armour if not pen, does not ricochet.

So new player can easily get a basical knowledge of the mechanics instead of cluelessly load full gold and bounce every shell...

Edited by Dava_117, 21 April 2018 - 04:48 PM.

Emeraldweed #3 Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10437 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostF2PEXP, on 21 April 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

If you add a phone number  you also get some gold, and if you change your password also ( not sure if its still valid)

F2PEXP #4 Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3683 battles

View PostEmeraldweed, on 21 April 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

If you add a phone number  you also get some gold, and if you change your password also ( not sure if its still valid)

let you know !!

edit  yep got 300 gold, yaay

Edited by F2PEXP, 21 April 2018 - 12:29 PM.

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11377 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

It's nice everything is available for free, I fully agree. Paying simply speeds up your progress, but if you manage the italian mission by now you clearly have enough time, therefore there is no need to spend.

I bought a premium tank for credits to purchase tier 10 tank, simply because I could not be bothered to grind 5m credits in tier 5 tanks.

__SLICK__ #6 Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4817 battles

Edited by __SLICK__, 11 November 2018 - 10:59 PM.

Emeraldweed #7 Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10437 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

View PostF2PEXP, on 21 April 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

let you know !!

edit  yep got 300 gold, yaay

both or for each or one of them?

F2PEXP #8 Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3683 battles

View PostEmeraldweed, on 21 April 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

both or for each or one of them?

dunno, 300 total, did both same time

Lorensoth #9 Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18726 battles

Your perspective of F2P seems far differ then mine, as from your view, i've been close to F2P player since day i start. Or in other say, i'm amazed how many players actually using gold for all kind of payments when possible.

Over years of my game time so far, i maybe payed 8-10 month of premium and well, i reraly if ever play wot for entire month. (noticing this might have reduced amont of time i purchase premium time)

I literally, never moved crew to new tank 100% with gold. Always used 75%, credit option.

I carry like, 5-7 premium ammo per tanks. Unless its utterly garbage than its like 10 ish. My motto is usually around, "carry just enaugh ammo incase i have to facing something headon, that i simply won't pen otherwise"

Never converted xp for gold. Even if i ever wanted at some point, it would be leftover amount of xp from tanks that elited, which is not many. Always used crew xp bonus option when possible.

Other then these points, about rest of your post, i agree with couple points you made. Like stock tanks being put against +2 already without allowing to research any modules yet, with new 3/5/7, its has became painfull experiance. Caused myself to simply, stop looking foward grinding new lanes. Like, in near future, we will have italian tanks. I'll simply not going to bother with thier lane just bcs, i don't wanna try hard grinding, suffering entire tech.

So far, i grinded lanes just to get their top tank. Rarely playing any low tier tank after their next tank unlocked or are elited at most. So all my low tier tanks done stock grind. Pointing these are as i expected, most players would have done similar. Not sure anymore.

apaleytos #10 Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15598 battles

Veteran player trying F2P experiment,amazed from results (colourised)

Spoiler

skero #11 Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26548 battles
  • [UNI_C] UNI_C

Man you are naive. They are doing this for a very good reason. Not because they love all the people and animals on this planet.

F2P is best way how to keep people in.

Monthly fees can afford only few games nowdays.

Plus. It's perfectly calculated what you can do and cannot as a free player.

I have big problem with gold ammo because at tier X if you face lot of todays heavies, TDs you can't pen with standard ammo frontal arm. reliably even if you have time to aim perfectly. So press 2 and magic happens. Don't need even time to aim. Why to bother aim for weakspots?

I would like to see how free to play players just using golds which costs 4-6k each.

And if they don't it is dmg minus = battle lost many times.

What would one do to be able to afford more?

People are competetive so many of them will pay.

It's just psychological game with customers.

Edited by skero, 21 April 2018 - 03:55 PM.

GreatSuprendo #12 Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21759 battles

F2P rerolling is easy when you know which tanks to play.  Every tank you played is a good tank.  A real F2P player has no idea and once they've bought a crap tank they can't afford to do anything but grind it through the f'd up matchmaking, sealclubbers and gold spam until they lose the will to live.

When I started playing my first line was the Brit heavy line.  Frankly it's a miracle I am still here.

_Anarchistic_ #13 Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40881 battles

View PostGreatSuprendo, on 21 April 2018 - 06:13 PM, said:

F2P rerolling is easy when you know which tanks to play.  Every tank you played is a good tank.  A real F2P player has no idea and once they've bought a crap tank they can't afford to do anything but grind it through the f'd up matchmaking, sealclubbers and gold spam until they lose the will to live.

When I started playing my first line was the Brit heavy line.  Frankly it's a miracle I am still here.

agreed, I did make that point

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users