Why to play any light or medium?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Alfa_Tau #1 Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4716 battles

Hello to everyone

I'm quite new on the game, so I hope you will help me to improve and to understand how it works.

What I have observed after few battles, is that the current META is quite friendly to Heavy Tanks while playing medium, TD or light is challenging and not quite rewarding. Especially in regards to Fun.

I tried TD and I was surprised to see how many time the map (city or canyons) doesn't really apply to the tactics you should use: ambush/sniping. Moreover in canyons/city if you play a medium you struggle because you end up in a front assault which is not favourable cause you don't have the armor to absorb damage. 

All and all it seems to me that only Heavy tanks are more or less confortable on each maps. 

Is it my impression? Perhaps I'm wrong please let me know your thoughts.

many thanks and... "may the Force be with You"

Graeme0 #2 Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23680 battles
  • [M-O-M] M-O-M

Cast you mind back to before you rerolled your account.

In the 3 years you have been playing you have seen all the changes in tanks, maps and meta for yourself

Jigabachi #3 Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17852 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAlfa_Tau, on 21 April 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

Perhaps I'm wrong please let me know your thoughts.

You aren't really wrong, the game has many massive problems, but your viewpoint is still quite questionable. It's perfectly possible to play the other tanks classes. And something like doing well in an "underdog" light tank can still be one of the most rewarding things in this game.

So everything entirely depends on why you play the game. I rather play tanks that I like and don't care about being at a disadvantage, instead of just playing the game for the sake of numbers or pwning othe people. It's like with RPGs: There are players who would weasr the most ugly armor only because of the stats and there are people to prefer immersion over numbers.

Bexleyheath #4 Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3568 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV
I get my bottom spanked by lights and mediums all day long :(

Erwin_Von_Braun #5 Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36845 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJigabachi, on 21 April 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

You aren't really wrong, the game has many massive problems, but your viewpoint is still quite questionable. It's perfectly possible to play the other tanks classes. And something like doing well in an "underdog" light tank can still be one of the most rewarding things in this game.

So everything entirely depends on why you play the game. I rather play tanks that I like and don't care about being at a disadvantage, instead of just playing the game for the sake of numbers or pwning othe people. It's like with RPGs: There are players who would weasr the most ugly armor only because of the stats and there are people to prefer immersion over numbers.

Immersion over numbers every time.

And you're correct about underdog LT's - some of my best games have come being the only Tier V (VK16.02) in a Tier VIII match.

Part of me misses the old +3mm:(

View PostBexleyheath, on 21 April 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

I get my bottom spanked by lights and mediums all day long :(

Get yourself a Tier VII or VIII LT - US or Ruskies are equally adept.

Then it's sirs turn to dish out the spanking:girl:

Makotti #6 Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12909 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

What I like at lights / some mediums is the mobility and via mobility you can affect / react situations better. With some (super)heavy tanks if situation goes fubar your lack of speed makes that you can't switch flank and you're doomed to the route what you decided to take beginning at the match. There are some exceptions tho, for example KV-5 can be quite hilarious :P

Agent_327 #7 Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16479 battles
  • [CAF] CAF
They offer a different type of game. I started with mostly heavy tanks but now I actually enjoy lights and mediums a lot more. They are not underpowered they are just more situational :B

Bexleyheath #8 Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3568 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 21 April 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

Get yourself a Tier VII or VIII LT - US or Ruskies are equally adept.

Then it's sirs turn to dish out the spanking:girl:

The russkies, being uncouth bolshevik ruffians, are obviously not something a british gentleman would play. Thusly, would you recommend the american M7 or the Chafee route?

Erwin_Von_Braun #9 Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:31 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36845 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBexleyheath, on 21 April 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

The russkies, being uncouth bolshevik ruffians, are obviously not something a british gentleman would play. Thusly, would you recommend the american M7 or the Chafee route?

Oh yes

Both incantations of the T71 are simply deadly with a decent crew.

And, despite the press, the Bulldawg is rather good too ;)

Alfa_Tau #10 Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4716 battles

Well thanks to all of you for your comment. 

View PostGraeme0, on 21 April 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

Cast you mind back to before you rerolled your account.

In the 3 years you have been playing you have seen all the changes in tanks, maps and meta for yourself

Yes Graeme you are right! but I didn't play WOT in last 2 years as I found more enjoable WOWs.

​Recently however I decided to give it a look after I saw a video on tube about update 1.0.

​Still my first impression is the game has some problems especially with maps. there are few of them, 

jabster #11 Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12526 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 21 April 2018 - 11:31 PM, said:

Oh yes

Both incantations of the T71 are simply deadly with a decent crew.

And, despite the press, the Bulldawg is rather good too ;)

Bitter experience tells me that the T71 may not be deadly depending on who drives it.

spuriousmonkey #12 Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42857 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I think that at tier 8 playing light tanks starts to become an exercise in masochism. 

At tier 8 it is still possible to do well for the average player and sometimes carry, but you start to reach a point where you will end up in a fair amount of tier 9 and 10 games in which you will have trouble outmaneuvering and penning tier 9 and tier 10 tanks. Tier 8 lights came become a credit drain rather quickly once you start to fire premium ammo.

At tier 9 you have some tanks that can do rather well. You have the advantage now that you have preferential MM. You will end up being top tier a lot more than at tier 8. But still you have to compete with tier 9 mediums/heavies/TDs for the same space, spots, and damage. And they have all much better guns, armor, etc. You don't have a view range advantage. If you are on the right map you sometimes have a camo advantage, but still, you are competing for the same limited amount of spots with medium tanks who can scout just as well or better than you. Is it fun? I don't know. You need to put a lot of effort to put yourself in an advantageous position for instance to surprise attack a tank, and the moment you find that sweet spot it turns out that one TD was camping the entire game in some irrelevant spot in the back, but now takes away half your HP pools, tracks you, kills your engine, or something else that completely messes up your advantage.

Tier 10 lights. OMG. They are absolutely the worst. Don't bother unless you are some superunicum. You don't have DPM, You don't have HP. You don't have the pen. You don't even have the mobility to outrun enemy tanks such as the 268 v4. There is nothing more frustrating than playing tier 10 lights.

What is still enjoyable is playing light tanks at tier 7 and below. But as Jabster said, without any skills you are going to have a bad time in a light tank. The advantages of light tanks don't come automatically. You need to work them. It is not as in a heavy tank with armour and a derp gun in which you just press W and your left mouse button. 

Edited by spuriousmonkey, 22 April 2018 - 07:36 AM.

Tipperty #13 Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19027 battles

Current meta.

BC 25-t best light tank!

268 v4 best medium, heavy, tank destroyer!

Best arty, a dead one! :hiding:

Artick_ #14 Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28777 battles
  • [BADD] BADD

View PostAlfa_Tau, on 21 April 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

Hello to everyone

I'm quite new on the game, so I hope you will help me to improve and to understand how it works.

What I have observed after few battles, is that the current META is quite friendly to Heavy Tanks while playing medium, TD or light is challenging and not quite rewarding. Especially in regards to Fun.

I tried TD and I was surprised to see how many time the map (city or canyons) doesn't really apply to the tactics you should use: ambush/sniping. Moreover in canyons/city if you play a medium you struggle because you end up in a front assault which is not favourable cause you don't have the armor to absorb damage. 

All and all it seems to me that only Heavy tanks are more or less confortable on each maps. 

Is it my impression? Perhaps I'm wrong please let me know your thoughts.

many thanks and... "may the Force be with You"

Just go for russian medium tanks , they are all in one .

TD - ( they got 0.3 accuracy so you can basecamp and hit 80%+ )

LIGHTS - They got 35% camo and 400 base viewrange

HEAVY - +300 thick turret armor , and some good slopes 

SPG's - If you fire HEAT , you will mostly pen , and shot over the riges like is normal :))

Medium - Spam your enemy with your 5s reload /320 alpha , make every MAUS feel bad when trade shots

Erwin_Von_Braun #15 Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36845 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 22 April 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

Bitter experience tells me that the T71 may not be deadly depending on who drives it.

Surely that can be said about all vehicles?

Seriously though, there are not many vehicles that make me giggle when I play them - both T71's do that.

Also the LTG makes me laugh, but that's mostly because it looks like it's had a stroke:trollface:

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 22 April 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

I think that at tier 8 playing light tanks starts to become an exercise in masochism.

At tier 8 it is still possible to do well for the average player and sometimes carry, but you start to reach a point where you will end up in a fair amount of tier 9 and 10 games in which you will have trouble outmaneuvering and penning tier 9 and tier 10 tanks. Tier 8 lights came become a credit drain rather quickly once you start to fire premium ammo.

At tier 9 you have some tanks that can do rather well. You have the advantage now that you have preferential MM. You will end up being top tier a lot more than at tier 8. But still you have to compete with tier 9 mediums/heavies/TDs for the same space, spots, and damage. And they have all much better guns, armor, etc. You don't have a view range advantage. If you are on the right map you sometimes have a camo advantage, but still, you are competing for the same limited amount of spots with medium tanks who can scout just as well or better than you. Is it fun? I don't know. You need to put a lot of effort to put yourself in an advantageous position for instance to surprise attack a tank, and the moment you find that sweet spot it turns out that one TD was camping the entire game in some irrelevant spot in the back, but now takes away half your HP pools, tracks you, kills your engine, or something else that completely messes up your advantage.

Tier 10 lights. OMG. They are absolutely the worst. Don't bother unless you are some superunicum. You don't have DPM, You don't have HP. You don't have the pen. You don't even have the mobility to outrun enemy tanks such as the 268 v4. There is nothing more frustrating than playing tier 10 lights.

What is still enjoyable is playing light tanks at tier 7 and below. But as Jabster said, without any skills you are going to have a bad time in a light tank. The advantages of light tanks don't come automatically. You need to work them. It is not as in a heavy tank with armour and a derp gun in which you just press W and your left mouse button.

Hasn't that always been the thing with LT's tho?

Being the underdog - relying entirely on your own wits and the good graces of RNGeezus?

The satisfaction you get when coming out on top is one of the best feelings in the game.:izmena:

spuriousmonkey #16 Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:50 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42857 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 22 April 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

Surely that can be said about all vehicles?

Apparently not.

http://forum.worldof...e-tanking-ch-1/

pudelikael #17 Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18663 battles
  • [EESTI] EESTI
Best russian heavy tank is obj 907. Super stronk tank and other tanks never pen this tank. IS7 is very weak if compare to 907.

Erwin_Von_Braun #18 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36845 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 22 April 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

:trollface:

I guess when you take Jap SH's into consideration...

spuriousmonkey #19 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42857 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 22 April 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

Hasn't that always been the thing with LT's tho?

Being the underdog - relying entirely on your own wits and the good graces of RNGeezus?

The satisfaction you get when coming out on top is one of the best feelings in the game.:izmena:

It's worse than ever.

Simeon85 #20 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Pretty much yes, WG has been pushing the game to world of heavy tanks for a long time, map design favours them, they have over buffed their armour so basically on many maps it's play armoured or GTFO.

It's because most of the players are terrible at the game, so instead of giving them more tools and incentives to learn, WG just dumbs the game down for them with idiot proof heavy tanks, yet they still fail most of the time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users