Grand Battles maps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

OrcaJ #1 Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:41 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11741 battles
  • [HISSS] HISSS

I really love the new grand battles. I feel like i have a purpose no matter which tank im in. There's room to manouver, there are routes to fall back on. 

I sincerely hope you make more of these and replace the smaller maps for T6 upwards.

Thank you for putting this into the game :)

MaxxyNL #2 Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11349 battles
WG will thank you for this message with 1 extra day Super RNG. :trollface:

HundeWurst #3 Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 69735 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

Good for you! Enjoy them!

I played one or two on the testserver the other day. These two games were enough to remind me to instantly turn them off again.

The maps are so abysmally bad.

However if you enjoy them play! Everyone likes different things.

UrQuan #4 Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19433 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Same, enjoying the Grand battles as well, it's something else & the size does matter in the endgame. Once tanks have been thinned out, meds become incredibly dangerous.

IncandescentGerbil #5 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles
I turned them off months ago. Are they suddenly worth playing again?

Erwin_Von_Braun #6 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
They are fun - they could be made better by keeping the 15 vs 15 format, giving everyone a little more room for maneuver.

pudelikael #7 Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19783 battles

Artys ruins grand battles.

Light tank - nothing to do

Medium tanks - nothing to do

TD - only camps

Artys - just click

RamRaid90 #8 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21412 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postpudelikael, on 22 April 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

Artys ruins grand battles.

Light tank - nothing to do

Medium tanks - nothing to do

TD - only camps

Artys - just click

Bolded the correct parts of your post.

However the blue bits are simply untrue. Lights if anything are more use than mediums in the early stages of grand battles where those extra bits of VR and camo bonuses while moving really count.

And mediums become far more tactical to play when  they can't justwander around the battle field spanking everyone else. Careful play and tactical planning is required to excel in meds on maps that size. During the end game mediums are by far the most dangerous class.

pudelikael #9 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19783 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 22 April 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Bolded the correct parts of your post.

However the blue bits are simply untrue. Lights if anything are more use than mediums in the early stages of grand battles where those extra bits of VR and camo bonuses while moving really count.

And mediums become far more tactical to play when  they can't justwander around the battle field spanking everyone else. Careful play and tactical planning is required to excel in meds on maps that size. During the end game mediums are by far the most dangerous class.

???

U never play grand battles light and medium tanks. otherwise u dont talk so weird talk

RamRaid90 #10 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21412 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postpudelikael, on 22 April 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

???

U never play grand battles light and medium tanks. otherwise u dont talk so weird talk

I've played them many many times in both lights and mediums, and I can tell you. You're wrong.

UrQuan #11 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19433 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRamRaid90, on 22 April 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

I've played them many many times in both lights and mediums, and I can tell you. You're wrong.

Supporting this. While I drive mainly HT's, a good med/light player is one dangerous menace once the crowd has been thinned out on Grand battles, because they got room to move around & the spotting places aren't always obvious with the space available by the mid/endgame.

RamRaid90 #12 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21412 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostUrQuan, on 22 April 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

Supporting this. While I drive mainly HT's, a good med/light player is one dangerous menace once the crowd has been thinned out on Grand battles, because they got room to move around & the spotting places aren't always obvious with the space available by the mid/endgame.

Exactly. GBs are the one place in WoT where tier X lights are not completely outclassed by everything.

D4wiD3K #13 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 659 battles

I turned off the grand battles early on. Gave it a shot but I think they just highlight the problems of World of Tanks and aren't worth playing for any proactive player.

The game mode rewards camping far too generously and "render range sniping" blossoms. By this I mean it's ridiculously easy to sit outside of the maximum spotting range of the enemy tanks while still being able to shoot them at no risk of being spotted. All you have to look at your minimap and position yourself between the two farthest lines. Even most bad players can handle this.

Whenever Wargaming make a new map they are very careful to make sure there are some broken, often unflankable camping positions with some cover to make sure that sniping in this game doesn't require any skill at all. When you add broken equipment like binocs and camo net that further rewards the passive camper bots who refuse to participate in the gameplay, it's not a surprise that most people have disabled the game mode.

Although people ask for bigger, more open maps I think this is very short-sighted. The #1 player category that is being rewarded by this are the camper bots that already have tons of handicap in their favor. Before formats like grand battles can work the game needs to give up camo and binoculars as well as rework the entire vision mechanics.

In other games sniping generally requires good reactions, good aiming skills and good positioning and if you miss your shot you often die immediately. In World of Tanks sniping means sitting 50m away from the base circle with bot equipment on, having all the time on earth to aim your shots on a big slow tank slugging forward and no commitment, positional sense or situational awareness is required. As long as you have a basic idea of how to lead shots you will get 2-3 penetrations per game pretty easily. Although a good sniper will obviously do more than this, what I just explained covers about 80% of the sniping happening in the game and unfortunately this bot sniping is the area of the game that Wargaming have made the easiest and most forgiving part of the game. The results of course are lots of lazy players doing this every game.

Edited by D4wiD3K, 22 April 2018 - 11:56 AM.

Also tagged with Grand, Battles, maps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users